Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends. For me, a box of old coin rolls it is usually 1 per box on average. Usually 1 and sometimes as many as 5.

A box of new coin rolls it can range from zero to 30 for 2020 and from zero to 66 for 2019.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is sporadic but typically where you find one you find several more, when they’re new.
    2019 I bought around 10 rolls from my local grocery store and found several. I went back a couple more times before they cut me off and ended up with 22 from maybe 30 rolls.
    These were uncirculated rolls which was nice hitting two MS66’s.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

Interesting stuff on the W Quarters. Thanks everyone.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 .... That solution appears to work very well. I will contact you if I need some. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the market tonight, the manager informed me he was unable to get pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters from wherever. He continued on about what he did get, Kennedy half dollars.
    Very concerned this would not compute with the public demand.
    So I thought its time to loose some weight. The next few days should be "very interesting".
    With 2 on hand..."Oh a hunting we will go , Hy ho the merry Oh....

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2021 2:34AM

In March, I could not order coins even though there was no coin shortage then. I went into two different banks and asked if I could order coins from the federal reserve. They both said that if I had an account, they would order me coins. I since added a 4th banking chain. Now I get all I want, even quarters. Don't let your current bank stiff you. Your old bank may think that you will never leave them. Branch out and enjoy. Try a new bank, you may be surprised to find out what they will do to get your business. Even a small savings account will do.

• Options

@rec78 Completely agree, I have at least 5 different accounts and still need to add a few more to cover my area.
    Then you have to revisit each bank periodically as the inventory is constantly changing...Change Jing :D

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too hot to work in the yard today so spent the afternoon searching wheats. Pulled a Denver short set......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Banks around here are limiting customers (even business customers) to 2 rolls of each denomination.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Changed my mind.
    Must have gotten star struck.
    I'm just gonna be me, and continue with the clean out or (aka) clean up.
    It is good too be single. "UG".?!@&/

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hunt begins!

It's been awhile.

Box of Cents/20 Rolls of Quarters

Here we GO... :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    After the 9th roll...

Silver Stunner!

That's pretty amazing to still be able to find them in bank rolls. Good find!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 5:37PM

@Steven59 said:

@joeykoins said:
    After the 9th roll...

Silver Stunner!

That's pretty amazing to still be able to find them in bank rolls. Good find!

I'm pretty sure that I find more silver dimes and quarters from coin counter rejects than I do CRH.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Last decent find from the 20 bank rolls.

Statehood Toner

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

Statehood Toner

Hey! That was the one in my cup holder I forgot to take out when I sold my jeep - :o

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@joeykoins said:

Statehood Toner

Hey! That was the one in my cup holder I forgot to take out when I sold my jeep - :o

Lol. Thanks for leaving it in there. ;)

• Options
    edited July 7, 2021 2:50PM

In the cent box, before opening. I checked all 100 ends!

One Ender

Saving to open last

• Options
    edited July 7, 2021 11:05PM

2 for 1, on the same coin.

Wide AM

Misaligned Die

Unfortunate, 2 spots! :#

• Options
    edited July 7, 2021 8:24PM

I'm thinking not a broadstruck error - but a Misaligned Die strike (MAD). You can tell a MAD coin from a broadstrike or even an off center strike because only one side of the coin will be affected. Usually they are collectible when the letters around the rim will be falling off the edge on the short side. But it's still a great WAM variety!

Here's an article on Misaligned die strikes - it explains it way better than I can.
    https://coinauctionshelp.com/misaligned-die-strike-mint-error/

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I'm thinking not a broadstruck error - but a Misaligned Die strike...

Thank you, for clearing that up for me. You're right! I corrected my post. Thanks ;)

• Options
    edited July 8, 2021 7:20PM

Tornado Touchdown

The bank I picked these up from today. Their town just last week, had a tornado touched down in their suburb.
    Woodridge, IL.
    Happy note: NOBODY hurt or killed!

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little help please. Rather then sit here a spin my wheels, I thought I'd ask you guys first.

So I hit a couple of my banks this morning. One of the tellers asked if I could help her out. I said; sure what's up?

She said she had $350 in Ike dollars and asked if I would please take them off their hands?.... I really didn't want them. I don't collect Ikes. Plus, I'm not really interested in clad junk! Besides, they were probably already search by another collector. But who knows, maybe there's a Morgan thrown in there?!?! :p;)

They were all loose in a box. I said; sure, I'll take them. No Morgan's, just random clad Ike dates.

My question: Is there a one stop shop website you guys use for Eisenhower dollar errors or varieties?

Thanks!

• Options

Picked up 16 rolls today.

Do you See?

One Ender!

Hoping for some Inners.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 10:45AM

@USSID17 said:
    { My question: Is there a one stop shop website you guys use for Eisenhower dollar errors or varieties?
    Thanks!}

I don't know much about Ike errors/varieties. I do know in 72 there were 3 different varieties of reverses but I don't know which one is more rare than the other 2, I'm sure you can find that info somewhere on the internet.

EDIT: Here, this site has good info on the 3 types......

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/eisenhower-dollar-varieties-768205

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:
    { My question: Is there a one stop shop website you guys use for Eisenhower dollar errors or varieties?
    Thanks!}

I don't know much about Ike errors/varieties. I do know in 72 there were 3 different varieties of reverses but I don't know which one is more rare than the other 2, I'm sure you can find that info somewhere on the internet.

EDIT: Here, this site has good info on the 3 types......

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/eisenhower-dollar-varieties-768205

Thanks for that @Steven59!

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Depends. For me, a box of old coin rolls it is usually 1 per box on average. Usually 1 and sometimes as many as 5.

A box of new coin rolls it can range from zero to 30 for 2020 and from zero to 66 for 2019.

But new boxes are no longer in the wild, correct?

• Options

My bank finally started to release (circulated) quarter rolls again, so while picking some up, I decided to grab some cent rolls. After only 3 rolls, found this baby. I was surprised.

• Options

The Only silver find

from the only Ender.

1969d

The rest of the 15 rolls?

Nothing!

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

There should be new boxes still available but they are less likely. Back in 2019 I was given several boxes of 2018. 😉

• Options
    edited July 10, 2021 3:32PM

@Joe_360 Hopefully the alleged shortage is coming to an end. Who knows, kids going back to school, parents getting back to work.
    It’s all lining up like a fine wine flowing through a beer bong. And that’s one classy buzz. :D

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Joe_360 said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

There should be new boxes still available but they are less likely. Back in 2019 I was given several boxes of 2018. 😉

Yes, that happened to me in 2019 also, went through 1/4 of the box before I realized that they were 2018... lol, but very hard to find now with shortages and banks holding back, have to be Lucky, timing...

• Options
    edited July 10, 2021 8:54AM

Anxiously waiting to pick up 17 rolls of halves!

Got em!

Silver Ender?

• Options
    edited July 10, 2021 9:54PM

Well, completed the 17 roll search. :/
    It turned out to NOT be a silver ender after all. Also, nothing else! With one exception. A

Stunner 1988d.

Wow. If it wasn't for that tic near the left of his forehead. Check it out.

Still a Keeper

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    My bank finally started to release (circulated) quarter rolls again, so while picking some up, I decided to grab some cent rolls. After only 3 rolls, found this baby. I was surprised.

That is an amazing circ find!

• Options

New search

Box of cents and 10 quarter rolls.

Its getting tougher to find these. The dreaded, "Coin Shortage " phrase.
    Also, my main bank stopped with the coin exchange machines.
    :'(

• Options

I wonder where all those coins went! Where are they all hiding! Most people use credit cards these days you would think that there would be too many coins.
    It’s not a result of TPGs and collectors because we represent less than a billion coins collectively.
    The Philadelphia mint alone makes 13.5 billion coins per year and there are at least 70 years worth of coins in circulation.
    Is the supply chain still working from home? Are banks just cutting costs, they did get rid of the coin counters.
    Or is there something much more sinister at work? Meanwhile the world is on fire and all we really want is another box of quarters or cents ;)

• Options

I certainly agree. Something fishy is going on. It might be what you stated? The banks are cutting back by cutting their costs. Oh well. :/

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a double whammy going...no complaints though!
    I am now both a federal employee and a state employee...both part time, but it's taking up some of my time.
    And of course we've got another serious coin shortage happening too.
    So glad I've got a ton of newer rolls yet to search, besides the vintage rolls collection :blush:

Had today off so while running errands went to 3 of my favorite large Chase branches...no new coins rolls to give, none. But I did ask about customer rolls at all 3 branches...one of them had these...1 roll of halves and 2 rolls of small dollars.

I just looked through the one half dollar roll and of course I'm not as lucky as @joeykoins lol but it did have a few of Joey's favorites...a few NIFC! Not bad for one roll of halves lol. About to check the small dollars...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited July 14, 2021 12:00AM

First Wheatie Found,

besides the two enders in the new cent bank box. After only the 3rd roll!
    1927p DDO?

Hopefully, many friends and family inside as well? ;)

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    { # First Wheatie Found,
    besides the two enders in the new cent bank box. After only the 3rd roll!
    1927p DDO?}

The 27 DDO 001 is hard to tell, the 002 would have a doubled eyelid - http://www.varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/DDO 1927.htm

• Options
    edited July 14, 2021 12:40PM

Persistence!

21 Rolls. Hopefully it will pay off?

From 2 different banks.
    Chase and BMO

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Persistence!

From 2 different banks.
    Chase and BMO

Playing the laws of averages, Eh? :D

• Options

A couple "S" mint finds...........

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@joeykoins said:

Persistence!

From 2 different banks.
    Chase and BMO

Playing the laws of averages, Eh? :D

Persistence pays eventually...And time will eventually tell you if you made 10c or $10 per hour. I made 325.00 on one particular coin but prolly had 40 hours invested in the hunt - $8.125 per hour.
    These were however, hours that would have been spent on the couch so whos counting :D

• Options
    edited July 14, 2021 7:06PM

So far, all I found. 3 rolls left. No silver.

An Odd 1971d

Very PL and the "W" in We? No DDO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file