Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

This roll searching thing is getting very very tedious :D I'm more into that instant gratification of late...

These sets not only boast the Kennedy in pristine condition but also the Washington's (I'll show later) and they have FB & FS on a few...Score!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭✭

So I decided to do a fresh set of penny folders and would you believe in the second box/case I found a roll with three Wheaties? Wow, what are the odds of finding three Wheaties in the same roll??

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@JWP said:
    Just went through 2 boxes of nickels. I found 1 war nickel, 3 Buffalos, Queen Elizbeth. Yo just have to live CRH. The silver nickels are still put here aftr 80 years. 👍💲🙂

Cool!
    What's that? A Die Clash?

:*

not a die clash, if anything, possibly either a lamination or a strike thru.

Hard to tell from the pictures

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Persistence!

Another Quarter Box!
    Let's GO...

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Persistence!.............

..............Pays off.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins

Good luck Bud! I need a hitting coach, cauz I'm in a slump! Can't even hit on an ugly one.... :s

• Options

I don't know about those Ws but the PDSs are plentiful.

• Options

• Options

???
    So far, this box isn't so kind to me!
    20 rolls in. NOTHING!
    Last 30 to go...
    ???

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    ???
    20 rolls in. NOTHING!
    Last 30 to go...
    ???

It's coming...eventually :)

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@joeykoins said:
    ???
    20 rolls in. NOTHING!
    Last 30 to go...
    ???

Thanks! Not complaining in the least! Just stating.
    :)

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@Coinscratch said:

@joeykoins said:
    ???
    20 rolls in. NOTHING!
    Last 30 to go...
    ???

Thanks! Not complaining in the least! Just stating.

Just completed my box!
    Results...

• Options

Perhaps a wooden storage box is a good choice. I will try another structure of the box for storage and organization, which is more professional!

• Options

@Jannifer said:
    Perhaps a wooden storage box is a good choice. I will try another structure of the box for storage and organization, which is more professional!

Yes, I agree that that one looks professional and I also think that a wooden box would look more classical.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal preference would be a wood box, but if I were a dealer, the above would be more practical and professional. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde ... Neat find.... In a roll? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

Yep, unusual to find them in rolls, but I thought that thing deserved a holder.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@ricko said:

Yep, unusual to find them in rolls, but I thought that thing deserved a holder.

That must be the far right AM :D

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 6:06PM

3 coins in a fountain.... No that's acetone actually! and it's 3-W's... All found today on Father's Day, happy Father's Day to me!!!
    And I was just telling the wife this AM, that W's are getting scarce, may have to stop roll-hunting, then wham...

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2023 4:18PM

Hey @Coinscratch I opened 8 rolls from my 2022 D Loomis stash last night.
    What do think of this one? :blush:
    Oops got a little bit of lint on the reverse of the flip

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Wow @Kurisu you found some nice luster and that'll be tough to beat although it may be the images but the strike looks slightly weak. I've been stuck in the 80's lately :D
    I gave up on trying to image the 82 Kennedys and will just have to wait for Trueviews.
    Was just imaging these from the same lot.

• Options

@Kurisu I see it now, not a weak strike just shadowing to show the luster causes the strike to look shallow.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu I see it now, not a weak strike just shadowing to show the luster causes the strike to look shallow.

Yup. It's just window light and a stabilized Galaxy phone...so not nearly as well lit as your shots :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Yup. It's just window light and a stabilized Galaxy phone...so not nearly as well lit as your shots :blush:

Well I already know what the problem is with my camera...The subjects...
    These two 76ers came together as you can see by the match toning, and then possibly the first PCGS 89 P PL.
    I did manage the top pop on the 98 D PL - jus sayin :)

• Options

I've got the day off so I went and ran some "errands" :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited June 21, 2023 5:23PM

@Kurisu said:
    I've got the day off so I went and ran some "errands" :smiley:

Good Luck, my friend!
    How amazing About dem "W's"! Even today, still finding some. Then, some in actual great condition! Better than Silver.

• Options

The results from the box of quarters and box of nickels...

Same mintage as the W's, 2 million

Weird pattern made me think it's a strike through something thin at first. Soaked in acetone all day and it didn't change at all...thoughts?

One of the strangest holed coins I've found. Looks like they installed a little hook/staple type thing so that it could be attached like a sequin to something

An edith that is not like the others...at first I thought parking lot scenario, but there is no real scraping up of the coin...it appears to be actually be a grease strike through with a bunch of fine metal debris that is clad and copper...thoughts?

Always fun to have a buffalo pop out unexpectedly!

And a holed nickel...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    The results from the box of quarters and box of nickels...

Same mintage as the W's, 2 million

Weird pattern made me think it's a strike through something thin at first. Soaked in acetone all day and it didn't change at all...thoughts?

One of the strangest holed coins I've found. Looks like they installed a little hook/staple type thing so that it could be attached like a sequin to something

An edith that is not like the others...at first I thought parking lot scenario, but there is no real scraping up of the coin...it appears to be actually be a grease strike through with a bunch of fine metal debris that is clad and copper...thoughts?

Always fun to have a buffalo pop out unexpectedly!

And a holed nickel...

Interesting finds?
    :* I'd dilute some EZEST, then try a quick dip. Looks almost like a canvas cloth of some kind?

• Options
    edited June 23, 2023 11:13PM

Let us know @Kurisu if any soak does any good at all. The only positive results I’ve had would be with silver proofs. Business strike/luster type coins typically do not improve. While you may remove organic debris also goes any positive traits and rarely will it be a success.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Let us know @Kurisu if any soak does any good at all. The only positive results I’ve had would be with silver proofs. Business strike/luster type coins typically do not improve. While you may remove organic debris also goes any positive traits and rarely will it be a success.

It was in acetone for 8 hours right after I found it. It didn't change it at all.
    My first thought was struck through something very thin, my next thought was etched with some sort of acid somehow in that pattern.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@JWP That's a lot of nickeling and cool finds. I would have taken 1 Buff per box going in.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @JWP That's a lot of nickeling and cool finds. I would have taken 1 Buff per box going in.

When I CRHunt, and I come across a very insignificant Buffalo nickel, esp in bad condition. I toss them back!

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins @OAKSTAR Thanks for the thought. I kinda remember Oakstar saying thathe does that too. When I sort thru the 2 boxes i get from the CU this week, I will start putting the buffaloes back into circulation. I probably have a few more than could stand some fresh air also. Thanks for the suggestion, I like it. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

I throw a lot (most) back @JWP. There's no way I could afford to keep 95% of the stuff (junk in my opinion) I find......Wheat's, proof clad Kennedy's, no date Buff's, all the clad NIFC junk, mint or proof sets people break open and spend, etc..

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 26, 2023 1:21PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I throw a lot (most) back @JWP. There's no way I could afford to keep 95% of the stuff (junk in my opinion) I find......Wheat's, proof clad Kennedy's, no date Buff's, all the clad NIFC junk, mint or proof sets people break open and spend, etc..

Except for the Wheaties. My LCS pays me double face! I give her all the non- significant/non-BU-ish ones!
    :D

• Options
    edited June 27, 2023 8:40PM

@joeykoins said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Except for the Wheaties. My LCS pays me double face! I give her all the non- significant/non-BU-ish ones!
    :D

I see your point but the volume I get is just not worth the effort.

• Options

Staying Persistent!

Let's GO..
    From a near Suburb of Chicago.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2023 1:25AM

@joeykoins said:

Staying Persistent!

Let's GO..

Lol.
    Boy, did my Persistence pay off!
    Wow! After 26 rolls,

2002p Louisiana

Almost a "Clipped Planchet?"

Double Struck?
    More and closer pics, on my "Christmas Present" thread!
    Thanks 😊

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@joeykoins said:

Staying Persistent!

Let's GO..

Lol.
    Boy, did my Persistence pay off!
    Wow! After 26 rolls,

2002p Louisiana

Almost a "Clipped Planchet?"

Double Struck?
    More and closer pics, on my "Christmas Present" thread!
    Thanks 😊

Box Completed!

• Options

WEEKEND FIREWORKS?

Let's GO...

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this some time ago. Just now getting around to P & P this 1961 D .The luster, as some would say, "Thanks I needed that" after she slaps you and your shadow.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    Found this some time ago. Just now getting around to P & P this 1961 D .The luster, as some would say, "Thanks I needed that" after she slaps you and your shadow.

RPM? There are lots of RPM's for 1961-D cents including a face down D. I have never found one of these but I am still looking!!
    https://coppercoins.com/lincoln/dietype.php?date=1961&die_mint=d&die_type=mm&page=0

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just moved my bags of obw 1958 cents to my secure dry storage location. I have 200 rolls of obw uncirculated 1958 cents. I bought them from Virgil Marshall the “Penny Merchant” in Nebraska over 30 years ago.

I will start selling them soon.

Just curious how much of a premium an obw roll goes for over the tubed uncirculated rolls.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

@oreville said:
    I just moved my bags of obw 1958 cents to my secure dry storage location. I have 200 rolls of obw uncirculated 1958 cents. I bought them from Virgil Marshall the “Penny Merchant” in Nebraska over 30 years ago.

I will start selling them soon.

Just curious how much of a premium an obw roll goes for over the tubed uncirculated rolls.

I’m not sure what the going rate is but when you figure it out let me know I’ll take three or four of them :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file