Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going thru some boxes this weekend also. Had good luck with the box of nickels last night. However my 1st box of cents was a kinda nothing burger. I can't believe it, only 2 wheat cents and a 1959 in the box. I'm going start on the 2nd box of cents this afternoon.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 11:18PM

@joeykoins said:
    OK, here we GO for the weekend!

Well, from the whole box. Only this baby found! At least it wasn't a "Skunk".
    How fitting the only coin was the
    "2019 Memorial"!
    DDO

Happy Memorial Day!

Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu.... Wow.... Those W quarters have seen a lot of circulation.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are NIFC halves worth anything being they are found in rolls and thus considered circulated?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Are NIFC halves worth anything being they are found in rolls and thus considered circulated?

Not worth much but I've found quite a few in darn nice MS conditions.
    I only keep the ones in better MS and I've found a handful in what I would say is MS64 or better.
    See my recent post above :smiley: I only kept a few of those.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

And which years are actually considered not intended for circulation? I’m guessing 07 and newer?
    If graded properly this 77 will never see it. If not then it was intended.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2023 5:37PM

@Coinscratch said:

@Steven59 said:

And which years are actually considered not intended for circulation? I’m guessing 07 and newer?
    If graded properly this 77 will never see it. If not then it was intended.

2001 to 2021

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Nothing major, but definitely the first time I've ever found a strike through on a half :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

So people buy these from the Mint and some eventually find their way to the banks. Then we find them, not that I want them. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 3, 2023 10:57PM

#189W

2020W Tallgrass Prairie V75

PLUS,
    2022p Maya Angelou
    "Double Earing"

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2023 8:31AM

This week's half dollar finds (2 boxes-$1000 face)
    only two finds a 1982-P no "FG" and a 1983-P no "FG" and 5 keepable NIFC's (Not shown)

• Options

@JWP said:
    Just went through 2 boxes of nickels. I found 1 war nickel, 3 Buffalos, Queen Elizbeth. Yo just have to live CRH. The silver nickels are still put here aftr 80 years. 👍💲🙂

Cool!
    What's that? A Die Clash?

:*

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins I don't have much experience with Die Clashes, thanks for pointing it out. I will look closer at it. My eyes need a rest after looking at 2 boxes of nickels. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Just found these two!

1946d

1942p Silver!

"Lamination"

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know my P&Q's, but you guys know a W when you see it and maybe I'm grabbing a straw with this post, so cut me a solid.
    This coin was not purchased by me . It was given to me by a freshman with a scholarship at Drexel University. He stated it was given to him in eighth grade . When I was checking the MM because its so micro an image about 1/16 th in. SE. of the D MM caught my eye. More testing to follow. I'm gonna do a rub to see how much of the W was struck if any.
    1934 D Peace Dollar. Bag marks are very common on this date. It ain't a bag mark.

What say you ? This is not a test , it's just help.
    TKS

• Options

@emeraldATV ... I do not see anything SE of the D.... And there would be no reason for a W to exist on the coin... not in any words struck and there was no West Point mint then. So, if there is 'something' there, not apparent in the pictures, it is PMD. Cheers, RickO

• Options

NICKELS BABY!

Let's GO.

• Options

Shooting practice so I'll be ready when I find the real deal :)

• Options

@Coinscratch... WOW!! Some nice pictures and a LOT of practice. I think you got it down now... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Coinscratch... WOW!! Some nice pictures and a LOT of practice. I think you got it down now... Cheers, RickO

Thanks Rick. In these pics you'll find everything you want and don't want in a coin which, is also practice. You want coins that keep your eyes moving as they only stop once you spot a problem. The '75 is the best here for me until you see the eyebrow hits.

• Options

Grabbed 10 rolls of halves from my credit union on the way home.
    No complaints!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

I was practice shooting halves tonight @Kurisu Great minds think alike

What do ya think? I think a few of these need labels.

Not sure what happened to the 83 p rev...

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

Not sure what happened to the 83 p rev...

Beautifully done and just plain beautiful coins!
    I love that first one, 1989p
    <3

• Options

@joeykoins ... Congratulations on 200+ W quarters.... I knew you would make it. Meanwhile, I still have not found one in change (just the one in a Coinstar reject slot)... On to 300 for you.... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options

@joeykoins thanks I’m trying to decide whether or not to conserve it. It almost looks good with that layer of what looks like ozone.

• Options

Congrats on 200 :-)

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

Your lighting has gotten fantastic :smiley:
    I took a close look at a few and the focus could be even sharper...can you close the aperture a notch and increase the exposure?

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@ricko said:
    @joeykoins ... Congratulations on 200+ W quarters.... I knew you would make it. Meanwhile, I still have not found one in change (just the one in a Coinstar reject slot)... On to 300 for you.... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

How many have you received from members? Have you put a complete set together yet?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR... A couple from members and a couple purchased... No, I do not have anywhere near a complete set.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 9, 2023 7:24PM

My first stop before any Coin boxes from Wisconsin banks!

In Beautiful Lake Geneva!
    :D

Then Later...
    All I can mustar up in the Cheese State!
    From 3 different banks.

Time to search.

:*

• Options

@Coinscratch- What number is that 72?

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    More target practice with some older finds.

Still great lighting...
    This time I feel like your focus is either just above the surface of the coin or just behind it, tough to tell.
    Zoom in and you'll see what I mean.
    Something we used to do in studio shooting is focus with a loupe on your eyepiece.
    Maybe even just a magnifying glass with your setup...the focus is sooooo close...
    You've gotta really nail that focus right on the surface of the coin! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited June 10, 2023 6:54PM

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Still great lighting...
    This time I feel like your focus is either just above the surface of the coin or just behind it, tough to tell.
    Something we used to do in studio shooting is focus with a loupe on your eyepiece.
    Maybe even just a magnifying glass with your setup...the focus is sooooo close...

I don’t think my set up is completely level or even tight. And I get the focus as close as I can by turning the aperture all the way down and enlarging to a full screen. Then I adjust the focus while it’s big and bright but then I have to carefully readjust the aperture setting.
    Plus some of the coin comes into focus while other parts do not at the same time.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Coinscratch- What number is that 72?

I don't remember maybe 3 or 5 but not #4...

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Still great lighting...

I don’t think my set up is completely level or even tight. And I get the focus as close as I can by turning the aperture all the way down and enlarging to a full screen. Then I adjust the focus while it’s big and bright but then I have to carefully readjust the aperture setting.
    Plus some of the coin comes into focus while other parts do not at the same time.

Maybe add a harsh light from the side just while you're focusing?

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    A few more shots while I await the next shipment, tomorrow :)

Well Hell, I'll do a few more shots "Witcha" - :D

UH OH! I only said ONE! Yeah right........................

Oh yeah - NICE IKES!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Coinscratch said:
    A few more shots while I await the next shipment, tomorrow :)

Well Hell, I'll do a few more shots "Witcha" - :D

UH OH! I only said ONE! Yeah right........................

Oh yeah - NICE IKES!

Looks like they've been skipped across the pond a few times, until that next shot :D

• Options
    edited June 14, 2023 12:36AM

Great Start!

New Quarter Box.
    Out of the first roll!

Let's keep it going...
    After the 7th Roll...

Die Cud!

The Box remains HOT!

After 20 Rolls...

Some kind of Strike Through?

Then,

#202W

2020W Tallgrass Prairie

30 more rolls...
    Completed.

2 more finds!

Color!

Then,

#203W

2019W Lowell

Beautiful Box!
    Thanks guys 🙂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file