Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random rolls...Nothing spectacular, just interesting to me.

A modern toned dime.
    A very worn obverse small dollar die (or is it a plating issue?).
    A very worn reverse half dollar die.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a box of these also

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2023 11:16PM

#182W

2020W Weir Farm V75

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

#182W

2020W Weir Farm V75

Do you still have all 182 of them?

• Options
    edited April 22, 2023 11:20AM

@Coin_nut1977 said:

@joeykoins said:

#182W

2020W Weir Farm V75

Do you still have all 182 of them?

Lol, I wish! Lol
    Sold majority of them, however, still have many great conditioned ones, plus, about 10 graded. Approximately. 40-50 left.
    The ones I did sell, were the lower in condition than the ones I kept!
    Thanks 😊

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

#183W

2019W War in the Pacific

• Options

I found a little J :p

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

My gosh that's close...

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    ErikbErikb Posts: 79 ✭✭

@OAKSTAR in the last box I did I found a pretty good amount maybe near half of your pile and a bunch of nifc

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Searched a box of halves today. Pulled exactly 20 random proofs (one roll) mixed in from the box. Are you guys finding a lot of these? Maybe it's the sign of our times. People breaking out proof sets and spending them.

That is a lot. I have found sometimes 3 or 4 in one box, but never 20. They seem to be more half dollar proofs in circulation then any other denomination.
    Funny, I search a lot of quarter boxes but never find many proof quarters. What do people do with the other denomination proofs? I haven't found a proof penny either for a long time. The oddities of coin roll searching.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 6:54AM

@rec78- You're right, where are the rest of the proofs from those sets. Maybe people are putting them in album sets? I don't know.

I throw all these proofs back unless they are silver or errors.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Finds from the couple's "piggy bank" I mentioned above...

A very impaired clad proof.
    Not spectacular but painterly toning.
    And...One thin dime :wink:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

This week's quarter finds:
    Maya DDR-001 #33

Maya DDR-002 #26

"W" #'s 38 &39

And a "pooping horse" - lots of poop here with extra die chips on top and end of tail

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 Loomis quarter rolls over da weekend yield nothing...

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2023 4:48PM

Just completed (edit) my first ever roll hunt. (End edit) 25 roll half dollar search: 5 rolls from WF and 20 from local credit union. Nothing to brag about. Just a clad proof 1976-S bicentennial, what looks like a 1972 PL, 1993-D PL and a couple of 2021-D PL.

WF only had what appears to be mint rolls 2009-D, 2012-Px2, 2015-P and 2019-P. Haven't opened those; are they even worth opening? Pics below.

I'm tempted to go back tomorrow to the credit union and grab the other 20 rolls that I didn't take.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options

@tramp you got those 5 uncirculated rolls from the mint or from Wells Fargo?

• Options

@Erikb said:
    @tramp you got those 5 uncirculated rolls from the mint or from Wells Fargo?

WF

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tramp said:

are they even worth opening?

Probably not. You could open one just to see what kind of strikes that the others may have. But at the same time you can figure that out by looking at the enders. Flipside says, open em all cause you never know what might be waiting inside.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2023 11:39AM

Ok. Nothing found in those 5 mint half dollar rolls from WF.

Went back to the credit union and grabbed the other 20 rolls of half dollars, all that they had. Found one 1964 yey! Found two more clad proof, 1992-S & 2001-S, and also found a 2000 DMPL; it is D mm but have to look at it nearly horizontal two see any remnant of the D. Both the top and bottom dies had to be heavily laden with die grease to get this DMPL effect. Pics below. Even the first T "In God We Trust" is difficult to make out.

What to do with the 2000-week D DMPL? Will PCGS even give a DMPL grade for a modern?

• Options

Well well well…

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erikb ... Nice quarters.... Are those the grades you expected?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko… thank you sir, no not what I expected but now looking at them I see why. Was my first submission still learning a lot

• Options

@Erikb said:
    @ricko… thank you sir, no not what I expected but now looking at them I see why. Was my first submission still learning a lot

Don't feel bad we ALL go through it...sometimes still :D
    So, you see the cartwheel luster on both actually better on the 63 than the 64 but the 64 has a thicker (heavier strike) giving it a higher grade. But obviously now you can see all of the hits but the luster blinded you and straight up lied to you about.
    You'll need either a lot less hits or a better strike with a lot less hits :)

• Options

Fun! Pretty fantastic condition with the creamy luster from a Loomis roll.
    Grease? That claw hand, his torso, the drum and flattened drum stick...
    What do you think?

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diddo as going through loose coins.

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Fun! Pretty fantastic condition with the creamy luster from a Loomis roll.
    Grease? That claw hand, his torso, the drum and flattened drum stick...
    What do you think?

Wow, that's interesting looking luster yet the strike is weak.

• Options

@Erikb said:
    Well well well…

Check this one out. I would say anywhere between 66 and 67+ obviously not good enough for 68 with all of the hits.
    But the uninterrupted luster in the fields plus lots of luster, that's want they want! It also hides and forgives or overrides small hits, to a point. The strike looks good here as well checking the depth of the grooves in Washington's hair, obviously a dapper dan kinda guy :D

• Options

As I was leaving for the Denver Coin Expo yesterday Chase called me...
    They've been trying to order these for me every week for a month or so and they finally came in!!!
    I was going to start searching them last night but it was a long day. So maybe tonight :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    As I was leaving for the Denver Coin Expo yesterday Chase called me...
    They've been trying to order these for me every week for a month or so and they finally came in!!!
    I was going to start searching them last night but it was a long day. So maybe tonight :smiley:

Good Luck!
    How bout some Bengys?
    B)

• Options

@Kurisu.... OK... Let us know on the 'no FG'...on to box number two... Cheers, RickO

• Options

This weeks quarter finds- only 1 - one and only 1!
    Searched 100 rolls of quarters this week and this is the only find in roll # 99!!
    The roll filler~
    "W" # 40

• Options
    edited May 8, 2023 2:13AM

@Coinscratch… yeah Forsure, that’s what I was thinking that the 94 seemed to me a bit better surface preservation and sort of better cartwheel effect but the 95 graded one higher and hadn’t exactly pin pointed it why and now see that the strike is more flat/softer then the 95 So thank you for that brother. Damn that is some rich complete luster! Yeah you’re on point with the 66-67 Forsure! If only it had a D I’d say what are you waiting for lol.

• Options

@Erikb said:
    @Coinscratch… yeah Forsure, that’s what I was thinking that the 94 seemed to me a bit better surface preservation and sort of better cartwheel effect but the 95 graded one higher and hadn’t exactly pin pointed it why and now see that the strike is more flat/softer then the 95 So thank you for that brother. Damn that is some rich complete luster! Yeah you’re on point with the 66-67 Forsure! If only it had a D I’d say what are you waiting for lol.

That coin would be lucky to hit 66 as tight as the grading goes currently but, then again IF the luster is good enough who knows. I'm scared to send anything in, still twitching from the last order.

• Options

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2023 9:17PM

Still trying to fill 2022 & 2023 holes (mostly "D" mint now) in our quarters collection, so stopped by the bank for another 4 rolls. Managed to find a 3023-P "Edith Kanaka'ole", a 1964 silver quarter, and a Sawgrass Prairie "W". Not a bad day's haul! First silver in a LONG while!!

• Options

@Coinscratch .... Nice cud on that 1988 cent... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Did one of the 2 boxes this morning before heading to the Denver Coin Expo.
    I'm going to say, fairly epic box! :smiley:

There were a about a dozen marked coins from other hunters, a couple of the markings I definitely recognize and have been seeing for years. So many marked coins that there was even a marked ender lol.
    Also I just want to say that I take some small measure of satisfaction in making a bunch of great finds and once again proving that marking coins is a complete waste of time. Plus I just assume I'm a better roll searcher than those folks marking coins :p

What’s the matter with some people these days, marking coins? What kind of crack head crap is that about. I mean what kind of loser do you have to be to mark up coins and for what purpose.
    Just another sign of societal decay and the lack of morals within. Time is not their friend.

• Options

I'd check that 1988 for the "Flared G" variety too.
    Nice cud find!
    :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file