Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 5:25AM

Thanks! I did not know there were 52 DDR's for that coin! I was searching for the big ones. I doubt that any of the lower tier doubled dies have much value, if any, over face value. Still, I will search for them. Fund to find, valuable or not.

• Options

This week's half dollar find - (2 $500 boxes searched) - Skunk city here.
    1983-P No "FG"

Yep! That's all folks! Not even an NIFC!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

Thanks! I did not know there were 52 DDR's for that coin! I was searching for the big ones. I doubt that any of the lower tier doubled dies have much value, if any, over face value. Still, I will search for them. Fund to find, valuable or not.

Not a problem. I'm not even sure which one "is" the big one. Just by matching up with the website, I "think" I have these correct. Like you say, it's just fun finding them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I have only been CRH-ing for a couple years, but here are some of the best; trying to find the best way to photograph them; these were taken using an adjustable LED that you can change from 5000K- 2700K. Different coins show different results. Getting closer to what I want, though! I find it very, very hard to show RED tones. Anyway here are some of the best finds.I think..

• Options
    SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Oh, by the way; the bright 1968, I have no idea what's going on with it. I thought it might be polished, but I tried polishing another 1968, and is a totally different color.Any thoughts?

• Options

@Spawnfreek said:
    Oh, by the way; the bright 1968, I have no idea what's going on with it. I thought it might be polished, but I tried polishing another 1968, and is a totally different color.Any thoughts?

Never use the words polishing and coins in the same sentence!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Spawnfreek said:

Never use the words polishing and coins in the same sentence!

Those do look polished and I know becau...nevermind.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@rec78 said:

Not a problem. I'm not even sure which one "is" the big one. Just by matching up with the website, I "think" I have these correct. Like you say, it's just fun finding them.

Very nice! I will start looking closer at these. I just started searching for the Homestead and Harper's Ferry quarter DDR's. I have about 80 Harper's Ferry quarter DDR's so far but have not gotten around to I-D ing any yet.

• Options

This week's quarter finds (4 boxes-$2000 face value)
    "W"'s #32, 33, 34.

Maya Angelou VDDR-002 #'s 16, 17, 18, 19, + 20.

A possible new Sally Ride DDR-let me know what you think. Is this a DDR?

And about 15 more Harper's Ferry DDR's -not shown.

• Options

@rec78- What exactly are you looking for on the Homestead?

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

DDR's- There's 105 of them.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/09e WQ Vol 5 ATB/DDRs 2015P NE quarter (1-21).htm

• Options

@rec78 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

DDR's- There's 105 of them.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/09e WQ Vol 5 ATB/DDRs 2015P NE quarter (1-21).htm

Don't forget the leaky bucket's.

• Options

@Spawnfreek said:

The high points can turn purplish when polished with a dry cloth. Looks cool but that's all. Your finds remind me of my very first order a few years back. Tuition payment #1.

1 1 35055295 2854 1959 1C, RD MS65RD USA
    2 1 35055296 2860 1960 1C Large Date, RD MS64RD USA
    3 1 35055297 2866 1960-D 1C Large Date, RD MS64RD USA
    4 1 35055298 2875 1961-D 1C, RD MS64RD USA
    5 1 35055299 2878 1962 1C, RD MS64RD USA
    6 1 35055300 2890 1964 1C, RD MS64RD USA
    7 1 35055301 2890 1964 1C, RD MS65RD USA
    8 1 35055302 2905 1968 1C, RD MS64RD USA
    9 1 35055303 2909 1968-S 1C, RD MS65RD USA
    10 1 35055304 2982 1976 1C, RD MS64RD USA
    11 1 35055305 3036 1981-D 1C, RB MS64RB USA
    12 1 N/A 2963 1973 1C, BN Counterfeit USA

For lofty graded Cents you will need to search home rolled rolls and original bank rolls and NOT fed wrapped. Fed rolls can be good for varieties, wheats, and an occasional Indian but generally speaking they have been through the system far too many times and are useless for grading.
    That being said, I would take it a step further into mint and souvenir sets. It will cost money but you will have much better results plus you will then get addicted to other denominations as you find things you weren't even looking for.

• Options

You guys need to find a better way.

I had a delivery at the house today! 😂 🤣

• Options
    edited February 27, 2023 3:07PM

Hey @rec78, have you ever found a Leaky Bucket?

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a roll from the CU:

• Options
    edited February 27, 2023 11:52PM

@OAKSTAR said:

Yes I have found a few - I just found a real leaky one a few days ago.

Also this one which is a Denver mint-

• Options

@rec78 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yes I have found a few - I just found a real leaky one a few days ago.

Also this one which is a Denver mint-

Good man!! 👍🏻

• Options

Here's one. It's a P.

• Options

@rec78- Here are a few close-ups of the Wyoming DDR's.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    @rec78- Here are a few close-ups of the Wyoming DDR's.

Thanks! I will start taking a better look at these. I search through at least 2 quarter boxes per week, so, I am sure to find some.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    One DDO - a 1971-D - DDO - I have not been able to attribute this coin yet. My first 1971-D DDO!

Maybe this one - DDO-015

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    I had a moment of cognitave dissonance when this one fell out.

Love that feeling, like a momentary lapse of reason 🫣

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 11:07AM

BIG NEWS!

2 2023p Bessie Coleman finds!

Die Chip

Then...

Burning Plane Strike Through

Thanks 😊

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@Spawnfreek said:
    I have only been CRH-ing for a couple years, but here are some of the best; trying to find the best way to photograph them; these were taken using an adjustable LED that you can change from 5000K- 2700K. Different coins show different results. Getting closer to what I want, though! I find it very, very hard to show RED tones. Anyway here are some of the best finds.I think..

Those are some really nice Lincolns.

• Options

2nd Trip back

Success!

10 more rolls from the same bank.

The bank was closing too.
    Just made it in time.
    Fate?
    :*

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

BIG NEWS!

2 2023p Bessie Coleman finds!

Die Chip

Then...

Burning Plane Strike Through

Thanks 😊

It's always the P's lol.
    Haven't even seen a P yet here in D :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Haven't even seen a P yet here in D

Yes, I'm shocked I found this many "P" rolls here in Chicago!
    They are never here.
    :o

• Options

I got a $500 BU box of Bessie Coleman quarters from my bank - some of the finds are shown below. So far out of the 13 rolls that I searched out of 50, I have the finds shown below. There are a lot of machine doubled coins with Bessie's nose and lips showing the doubling- I have found over 30 of these so far. Some eBayer's are selling these as doubled dies, they are not doubled dies. One of the planes seems to have a die crack and another has a die scratch? under the wing. One or two have a doubled wheel. Some have doubled lettering on the designer's initials.

• Options

So yesterday my teller at my Chase said someone brought us about $2000 of dollar coins.
    I bought $1000 of them...They were ALL brand new 2000 D Sacagaweas.

Well, someone knew what they were doing lol. I believe I've crossed paths with another serious searcher.
    Nothing over MS66 in my opinion. But I did manage to gather up a roll of BU ones that are starting to show some nice gold and blue toning...the roll is going in the toning box :blush:

Based on finding a handful of "ring of deaths" I'm guessing someone went through a whole lot of original rolls...
    Disappointing but I still enjoyed it lol.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu That's just great, another searcher has your bank as a dump site. Well, he won't bring you any competition while only dropping there. You'll just have to be more selective on their offerings, somehow.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu That's just great, another searcher has your bank as a dump site.

😂 🤣

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latest finds, the most sought-after 2020 W and a 2017 clad-S

• Options
    edited March 7, 2023 9:41AM

Found many more 2023p Bessie errors.
    Mostly dd nose and designer's initials.

EC

No "Burning Plane" S.T. 's.
    However, did find one Obverse S.T.

Went back to the samebank, once again.

13 More Bessie Rolls!

Let's GO...

• Options

So far a nice Lg date 70 s and a PL 72 d quarter. More to come later...

• Options

What do you think, should I send in for grading? Actual find and not in a CWR. Maybe I'll vacuum the car!

• Options

Ok, so I got Another box of Bessie Coleman 2023 quarters from one of my banks-I still have 33 rolls to search from the other box-UGH!!! This will take awhile!! I do search new rolls for errors and varieties. I did find this big die chip on wing in the first roll from the second box. So there is hope for more! Searching BU rolls is slow and tedious. I do a few rolls a day and eventually I will get it done!

• Options

@rec78 Yessir, searching rolls of coins that all look the same is very tedious and quite boring to be blunt :)

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @rec78 Yessir, searching rolls of coins that all look the same is very tedious and quite boring to be blunt :)

Thanks, it is not too bad if you only do a few rolls at a time.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@Coinscratch said:

Thanks, it is not too bad if you only do a few rolls at a time.

Agree and even easier if you’re only looking for poppers which is usually 2 or 3 per roll. And those are mostly and quickly disposed.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeyCoins — Have you posted here earlier about the roll searching skills that you employ? How long does a roll require you to examine the coins that it contains? Do you search a roll more than once?
    Thanks—Craig.

• Options

@joeykoins
    I'll have to double check my Tallgrass Prairie NP V75 that I removed from new rolls, I may have something special! Thanks Bud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file