Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Eagles 2019 season official thread

Comments

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I thought the same thing about Zimmer and the Vikes last week, but someone must have gotten thru to him that you can beat these guys on play-action passes on early down and use double moves to beat the corners. Even Jason Garrett should be able to see that!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Are the Eagles going to hold tryouts for CB after yesterday's debacle. Not sure how much longer they can go with those guys. I'm scared to see if they were playing the Pats what Brady would do. Remember what he did when we had Darby and Mills in the SB. Can Roseman make a deal to get a #1 CB here soon?

Eagles play the Patriots on November 17th at the Linc.

• Options

I am aware. That gives them a few weeks for some type of trade to upgrade that position. If Jackson can't come back, they may have to think about doing something there as well.

• Options

Pasted:

DeSean Jackson (abdomen): Pederson said he won’t practice Wednesday but he is “working to get back”. The Eagles will continue to keep having Jackson run as he attempts to come back from his injury that has cost him the last four games. He’s still day-to-day and, though Pederson didn’t say it specifically, his status for this week’s game against the Cowboys remains questionable at best until he starts actually practicing.

• Options

Yep, I saw that. he's attempting to run and hasn't played in really 5 weeks. the game he was injured he was only in for 3 plays I think. No way he plays this week.....but I hope I'm wrong. What's the word on Amari Cooper's injury?

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Yep, I saw that. he's attempting to run and hasn't played in really 5 weeks. the game he was injured he was only in for 3 plays I think. No way he plays this week.....but I hope I'm wrong. What's the word on Amari Cooper's injury?

Unfortunately I agree.

I'll be surprised if he plays in this upcoming game against the Cowboys.

• Options

You would think since they drafted a WR early that he would have some speed, but he barely gets to see the field. Doesn't even play in the red zone which was why they drafted him.

• Options

Well tonight's game against the Cowboys is a blowout and we all saw it coming. Perhaps Doug Pederson won't again make the ridiculous mistake that high school football coaches don't even make, and that's to keep your friggin' mouth shut when it comes to bragging about winning the game.

Cowboys fans enjoy it while you can. When the Cowboys come to the Linc later this season, the Eagles will have DeSean Jackson back and this will be a different Eagles team, and a different result in the score.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Well tonight's game against the Cowboys is a blowout and we all saw it coming. Perhaps Doug Pederson won't again make the ridiculous mistake that high school football coaches don't even make, and that's to keep your friggin' mouth shut when it comes to bragging about winning the game.

Cowboys fans enjoy it while you can. When the Cowboys come to the Linc later this season, the Eagles will have DeSean Jackson back and this will be a different Eagles team, and a different result in the score.

Sure, ;)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 4:49AM

Maybe this will end the Wentz - Peterson illusion. It’s over. Foles was a winner. Foles got chased out of town by one bad coach Kelly and a mediocre one, Peterson. It will take a while to fix things, if we get good management. It will take decades if the owner continues to pick idiots.

In the mean time, let’s send Wentz to Washington, Miami or Chicago. They will be fool enough to think that he is anything beyond mediocre.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@stevek Peterson's big mouth is NOT why the Boys are scoring BIG!

• Options
    edited October 20, 2019 8:56PM

@DIMEMAN said:

All it takes is on blow-out against mediocre competition to change your mind. The trouble is lot of teams outside of the NFC East are better than the Eagles. Get ready for a “one and out” in the play-offs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@DIMEMAN said:

All it takes is on blow-out against mediocre competition to change your mind. The trouble is s lot of teams outside of the NFC East are better than the Eagles. Get ready for a “one and out” in the play-offs.

I agree we will be playing some very good teams coming up. But I think it is us getting a lot of players back more than who we are playing tonight that is making the difference.

• Options

Where 'O Where is Steve??

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Where 'O Where is Steve??

Probably too upset to put up with the abuse. At least I can follow the Patriots, although tomorrow night could be a nightmare.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect example of why it’s a dice roll when it comes to the outcome of an NFL game. Dallas is playing like a High School team and all of a sudden they decide to play like a Super Bowl contender last night. Next week they will get shit out by Washington or something ridiculous lol. Good win for the ‘Boys though, good to see Pederson eat crap after talking out of his rear end. 😂👍

• Options

I still have confidence in Doug Pederson, but admittedly it is wavering a bit.

This bragging mistake was off the charts stupid. However he's done some other stupid things this season, calling wrong plays at the wrong time, etc.

I thought that after the Super Bowl season in which he coached brilliantly, that perhaps by now, considering the age factor with Bill Belichick, that Pederson could be competing with Belichick and others for top head coach consideration in the NFL for the current season. Obviously, this Cowboys game was a big setback in that regard.

Frankly, mistakes such as the bragging, are mistakes that can get head coaches fired. I'm not saying Pederson is on the chopping block, of course not. But I am saying that his coaching is not up to par as to what it was in 2017. Even at his press conferences lately, i've noticed subtle differences in the way he addresses the media.

I sure hope he's not caught up in a drug addiction problem affecting his mind. In the tough world of NFL head coaching with the constant pressure and long hours, i could understand how it wouldn't be hard to get hooked on various habit forming drugs such as amphetamines and such.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

No team is as good or bad as it’s last game.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of these teams suck but one will win the division :D

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 10:36AM

@stevek Do you really think he might be on drugs, and that's possibly why his coaching and media savvy is on the decline?

Anyone could be using drugs, you're right. But his performance, from an outside perspective, seems to be affected by other factors.

Edited for clarity.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @stevek Do you really think he might be on drugs, and that's possibly why his coaching and media savvy is on the decline?

Anyone could be using drugs, you're right. But his performance, from an outside perspective, seems to be affected by other factors.

Edited for clarity.

As i already stated, i've noticed a difference at his press conferences.

Remember the old adage...it's easier to get to the top than to stay there.

Some handle success and fame well, and some don't. Those who don't, often turn to drugs, and that is a fact. Whether or not this relates to Pederson, we shall see.

The bragging from Buddy Ryan was always expected. But coming from Doug Pederson, it was totally out of character, and something caused that change in behavior. So in my opinion, i can't rule out drugs as a possible effect on his cognizant thinking.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Both of these teams suck but one will win the division :D

Quite often there will be one division where all of the teams in it are mediocre to bad. The team wins the division championship with a .500 record or close it, and the rest of the teams are below .500.

That team usually gets knocked out in the first round of the play-offs, which is justice in my opinion. If you don’t do much in the regular season, you don’t deserve to win the Super Bowl, but anything is possible.

I think the Cowboys will be one of those close to .500 championship teams. Sadly there will probably be another team with 11 wins during the regular season, who won’t get into the play-offs. It’s happened a couple of times.

• Options

With everybody back I think the Cowboys are much better than their 4-3 record. We will find out in a couple weeks after their bye week.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

has the analysis of this team really devolved into potential drug use by the head coach? :D

• Options

No excuses, just a poor performance by the birds last night. The middle of the D is becoming a problem; the loss of two lineman and Bradham, a position where they were thin to start with, shows up against teams with strong lines. I didn't think both O lineman would play for Dallas, and if they did, I didn't think they would play that well and make it thru the entire game. Hats off to them. But it's only one game. The good Dak showed up last night; I'm sure he'll soon have another one of his performances like he did against the Jets or Packers very shortly. For me, all last night's game showed me was that at this point of the season, neither one of those teams is good enough to make a playoff run. That can change quickly; there are still 9 games left, and there is a lot of time for some of those players to get healthy and return.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    has the analysis of this team really devolved into potential drug use by the head coach? :D

I was going to say something to that effect but you said it brilliantly! :p

• Options

Well then maybe some of you psychology geniuses can explain why a normally level headed football coach suddenly does something remarkably stupid not only out of the ordinary for him to do, but for any football coach to do? If you say that it couldn't have been drugs then what was it?

I'd like to hear that explanation in one hundred words or less.

And I don't want to hear that Pederson thought he was posting on Sports Talk whereby bragging about a favorite team to win is not only expected, but a requirement. ;)

• Options

I think he was trying to get his team fired up. Dallas didn't need it to fire them up. The 3 previous losses in a row did that. Plus the fact that it was the arch rival Eaglet's.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I think he was trying to get his team fired up. Dallas didn't need it to fire them up. The 3 previous losses in a row did that. Plus the fact that it was the arch rival Eaglet's.

Well it's a known fact that football coaches don't do that because they know it gets the OTHER team fired up. Which is exactly what happened.

The fact is that football coaches even warn their players not to do that. Although once in a while a rogue player will mouth off in public, and that normally backfires as well.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

a) following stevek's dietary recommendations for a week
    b) a sub-par cheesesteak lash out
    c) DQ was closed on his way home the night before
    d) assuming the worst of your head coach means your team ain't all they was cracked up to maybe be with a QB already proven to be made of glass

Shall I go on?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

d) assuming the worst of your head coach means your team ain't all they was cracked up to maybe be with a QB already proven to be made of glass

Shall I go on?

Your damn right I'm assuming the worst when an Eagles head coach violates the time honored principle of never giving the opposing team added motivation to beat you.

Especially doing it against the stinkin' Cowboys.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

Shall I go on?

Your damn right I'm assuming the worst when an Eagles head coach violates the time honored principle of never giving the opposing team added motivation to beat you.

Following your dietary recommendations for a week is enough to make anyone lose their mind. No drugs required.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

Shall I go on?

Following your dietary recommendations for a week is enough to make anyone lose their mind. No drugs required.

I don't do drugs.

Hopefully Doug Pederson doesn't either. But if he does, hopefully he gets off it.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Well then maybe some of you psychology geniuses can explain why a normally level headed football coach suddenly does something remarkably stupid not only out of the ordinary for him to do, but for any football coach to do? If you say that it couldn't have been drugs then what was it?

And I don't want to hear that Pederson thought he was posting on Sports Talk whereby bragging about a favorite team to win is not only expected, but a requirement. ;)

steve, you have to admit it was pretty funny how Galaxy worded his post.
    I got a good chuckle out of it. Honestly I guess it is possible the coach could be on drugs,
    stranger things have happened.
    When my team loses everyone here says the coach is a complete idiot. Well, actually they say that when they win also.
    I'm going to start saying he is either on drugs or, thanks to dimeman giving me this idea,
    he is on the take.

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

I got a good chuckle out of it. Honestly I guess it is possible the coach could be on drugs,
    When my team loses everyone here says the coach is a complete idiot. Well, actually they say that when they win also.
    I'm going to start saying he is either on drugs or, thanks to dimeman giving me this idea,
    he is on the take.

Reid is not on the take...…….He just can't think and stand up at the same time.

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

he is on the take.

I think Galaxy knows i like him...that is whenever he's got a contest going. ;)

Pederson possibly being on drugs is of course just my opinion, and i've already stated why. I'll leave it at that.

I'll just have to ignore the needles, pills, rolling papers, and bong that i noticed on top of his desk in a recent pic of him sitting there. :p

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

he is on the take.

back in the day my drug of choice was blotter acid. Joe Cool or white lightning top 2 B) but Doug Pederson , well he took the blotter with andy reid's face on it

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

he is on the take.

back in the day my drug of choice was blotter acid. Joe Cool or white lightning top 2 B) but Doug Pederson , well he took the blotter with andy reid's face on it

<<< blotter acid >>>

If that's what i think it is, i only saw someone do that one time. It was at a party and the guy announced that he was doing it.

A short time later he was walking around the room smiling and commenting on the flying elephants in the room.

Since i've never had the desire to see flying elephants in a room or anywhere else for that matter, i figured that i'd just stick to Budweiser.

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

he is on the take.

<<< blotter acid >>>

If that's what i think it is, i only saw someone do that one time. It was at a party and the guy announced that he was doing it.

A short time later he was walking around the room smiling and commenting on the flying elephants in the room.

Since i've never had the desire to see flying elephants in a room or anywhere else for that matter, i figured that i'd just stick to Budweiser.

WOW "blotter acid" doesn't sound like something you should drink! It amaze's me what people will put into their body!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

he is on the take.

<<< blotter acid >>>

WOW "blotter acid" doesn't sound like something you should drink! It amaze's me what people will put into their body!

The brain may temporarily like it, however the kidneys and liver definitely don't.

If anyone thinks they can get along fine without their kidneys and liver, better guess again.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2019 4:15PM

Drugs were never my thing, i last smoked weed back in 1996, my 20 years in the Sheriffs Dept forbid me to partake and since I’ve retired I haven’t touched it nor do I plan on it. But I got no problems with it Whatsoever. I think if Pro athletes want to do it in the offseason they should be able too

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

he is on the take.

<<< blotter acid >>>

drink? :D Its a little square of paper with a picture on it and a drop of LSD that dries into a film . You put it on your tongue or swallow it .

Think of a tiny postage stamp

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

he is on the take.

<<< blotter acid >>>

drink? :D Its a little square of paper with a picture on it and a drop of LSD that dries into a film . You put it on your tongue or swallow it .

Think of a tiny postage stamp

That shows what I know about that.......and I'm glad.

• Options

Looks like it our week together Stevek.
    Just listening to all the talking heads (I know I shouldn’t) Eagles have no speed at receiver, no pass rush and can’t defend anyone. I’m not so sure I believe any of it because I haven’t watched every Eagles game. I can say Buffalo has a good pass rush, a #3 defense and an offense that eventually will find itself. They revamped the whole OL and returned only on player from last year besides Josh Allen. He’s only going to get better or he isn’t. The knock on the Bills is they haven’t played anyone. Well they play who is in the schedule and we’re 2 yards from taking the lead on the Patriots in a 16-10 loss. Buffalo is a tough place to play. But Vegas has little confidence in Buffalo either opening at -1.5. The rule is 3 pts for a home game meaning they think Philly is the better team. Every time Buffalo has started 6-1 in the new playoff system they have reached the SB. Should be a good watch.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Looks like it our week together Stevek.
    Just listening to all the talking heads (I know I shouldn’t) Eagles have no speed at receiver, no pass rush and can’t defend anyone. I’m not so sure I believe any of it because I haven’t watched every Eagles game. I can say Buffalo has a good pass rush, a #3 defense and an offense that eventually will find itself. They revamped the whole OL and returned only on player from last year besides Josh Allen. He’s only going to get better or he isn’t. The knock on the Bills is they haven’t played anyone. Well they play who is in the schedule and we’re 2 yards from taking the lead on the Patriots in a 16-10 loss. Buffalo is a tough place to play. But Vegas has little confidence in Buffalo either opening at -1.5. The rule is 3 pts for a home game meaning they think Philly is the better team. Every time Buffalo has started 6-1 in the new playoff system they have reached the SB. Should be a good watch.

Usually after being blown out, good football teams rebound the next game and play a lot better. I certainly expect a better effort from the Eagles than last Sunday.

Tough call as Doug Pederson's coaching has been a bit erratic. But i still think the Eagles sneak out of Buffalo with a win.

I agree with ya, should be a good game to watch.

Good luck...but i hope it's not too good. ;)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am looking forward to a good game.

As a Pats fan, rooting for a Bills loss.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I am looking forward to a good game.

As a Pats fan, rooting for a Bills loss.

Bills should beat the Eaglet's. All they have to do is get after Wentz. Especially if Jackson is playing and healthy.

• Options

I wouldn’t be surprised if after the game Nelson Agholor moves his equipment into the Bills locker room. Doubtful the Jets or Dolphins will trade with the Bills but anything is possible.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Eagles ruled out 6 players
    First, the players who have been ruled out:

LB Nigel Bradham (ankle, illness)
    WR DeSean Jackson (abdomen)
    DT Timmy Jernigan (foot)
    CB Avonte Maddox (concussion, neck)
    T Jason Peters (knee)
    RB Darren Sproles (quadricep)

That’s a who’s who of starters. Darby will play his first game back from a hamstring. I really would have liked to seen the Eagles at full strength. No such talk about the Eagles not at full strength after the Cowboys game but if (If) the Bills win I can hear how the Eagles were short handed, the victory doesn’t mean anything. Blah blah. Let’s move them down to 14th in the power rankings at 6-1.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Eagles ruled out 6 players
    First, the players who have been ruled out:

LB Nigel Bradham (ankle, illness)
    WR DeSean Jackson (abdomen)
    DT Timmy Jernigan (foot)
    CB Avonte Maddox (concussion, neck)
    T Jason Peters (knee)
    RB Darren Sproles (quadricep)

That’s a who’s who of starters. Darby will play his first game back from a hamstring. I really would have liked to seen the Eagles at full strength. No such talk about the Eagles not at full strength after the Cowboys game but if (If) the Bills win I can hear how the Eagles were short handed, the victory doesn’t mean anything. Blah blah. Let’s move them down to 14th in the power rankings at 6-1.

At the end of the season power rankings mean squat. It's the record that gets you into the playoffs! ;)