Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

June pick ups. Show us what you got.

Comments

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@initialD said:
    Was able to finally knock this one off my MUST HAVE list. Freshly back from a signing...

Very nice. I've been holding off sending anything because I thought Bobby would be busy during the cup finals.

I've heard they're charging 1k for that card now ??? It used to be 500. Not sure if that's correct or not.

Thanks
    He was up here
    The latter, although in Canada his next signing they are at $850

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Commerce Comet has so many different cards and memorabilia that it can be hard to pick a favorite at times. I stick to his playing days and define card more loosely than most. This is a card, though, that has all the typical things I like. Lower price, nice eye appeal and low pop (71 PSA graded examples). Sure, it’s flawed. I still think it’s got clear appeal. While the scan is what matters (and what will be used if I should ever sell it), I just want to include a photo, as well, to to give a clearer idea of why I was drawn to the card. Hope you guys like it!

1947-1966 Exhibits Mickey Mantle (Portrait)

...and photo:

By the way, @RookieHOFers just pulled down a ginormous card and so this will have to settle for 2nd best Mantle posted today, at best.

Congrats on that epic pickup, once again...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@Stone193 said:
    I now have 53 cards. I only go after low numbers.

Do you go after well centered ones ? Because that is a beauty when it comes to centering.

Sorry - don't know your name

Thanx and overall - yes.

There's a few I bought way before I was a bit crazy about centering - the Irvin and Lemon e.g.

LINK to set.

Mike
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@initialD said:

@1970s said:

@initialD said:
    Was able to finally knock this one off my MUST HAVE list. Freshly back from a signing...

Very nice. I've been holding off sending anything because I thought Bobby would be busy during the cup finals.

I've heard they're charging 1k for that card now ??? It used to be 500. Not sure if that's correct or not.

Thanks
    He was up here
    The latter, although in Canada his next signing they are at $850

Is that at AJ Authentic ? I saw AJ charging $140 per non-rookie card, whereas it's $120 if you send direct to GNR here in the states. Probably a good deal at AJ if you're living in Canada and don't want to deal with import/export.

Yes. Sorry it’s more at AJs
    $1199CDN/$899US
    I had mine done here through Sureshot

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Today's mail brought these 2 1979 racks with Cowboys showing

Nice Racks Abe. Henderson makes me sad. He had the potential to be great but couldn't put down the coke. His career reminds me of Dexter Manley without all the extra chances.

• Options

Excited to add this Pop 1 to the set. It's a tough grade due to being thicker and prone to surface scratches. It's a shame it was installed Incorrectly. I'm guessing the one Eddie George fan had this graded.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Got this in hand today. Pop of 83. Only two higher examples at 8.5. This card must have had a bad position on the sheet.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

my only shipment I think for the month...not sure yet.

• Options

@lahmejoon said:
    I picked this one up a few days ago. This is one of the tougher autos from this set to locate, so I'm very happy to add this to my set, which is nearly complete. Thanks to lawnmowerman Matt for the encouragement to pick this one up!

Happy to help Aaron. Congrats on crossing a tough one off the list.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@axelrich said:

That's awesome...

Thank you. I have really been adding a lot to my Curry and Warriors PC's this playoff run. Sorry to see them lose in the Finals but maybe this makes some of Curry's cards more affordable this offseason. Here are my latest Warriors pickups.

The Draymond Green is a RC numbered to /99 and is from one of my favorite inserts sets. The Curry's are unnumbered case hit inserts. I am looking to complete the Downtown and Kaboom runs for Curry. Downtown started in 2016. I now have 16 & 17 and just need 18. Kaboom started in 2013 and I need the 2014-2018 for that one.

Steve
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - those are some awesome looking 52 Topps and great centering.

KC

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I missed out on the All Star counterpart to the Roy Ultimate Collection auto posted last week, but picked up 3 more somewhat tough issues:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

A second year Pippen.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

First pickups in a few months....as is usually the case the card action is slow for me during high school baseball season. Just wrapped up a great season this past weekend. Here are a few celebratory purchases :blush:

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    1994 Pro Line Live additions

Classic Jeff George pose.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2019 11:11AM

My latest pickup is one of the more sought after key cards of the 20th century. To be honest, I am pretty sure this is one of the nicest looking examples you'll ever see of this card and yet because of the way things are now done in this hobby it is probably also low grade. You see, this card has a flaw. Whether it is naturally occurring (a rivet or groove) or a crease, it is only found on the back of the cardboard to the right of the text. It is visible in the scan and catches the light (as it can just look like a lighter area in the scan). And it does virtually nothing to hurt the overall look of the card, especially on the front where it is not in anyway visible. And yet, based on many recent submissions, I could easily see this coming back with a 3, 2 or even a 1. Because I would find that offensive to my eyes and my sensibilities as a card collector, I'm probably just keeping this one raw for the forseeable future. The card itself has been on my want list since childhood but I always wanted it to look a certain way and as prices kept creeping up it seemingly just got too far out of reach. So, as a get, this one makes me very happy, slots perfectly into my collection and fills the final attainable hole in my Yankees Rookie collection. However, it also makes me sad because there was a time when cards with one flaw that looked like this were 6s and 7s all day long. Maybe, one day the pendulum will swing back and what the card looks like actually will be of paramount importance once again but for now an UltraPro will have to suffice for the Chairman of the Board.

1951 Bowman #1 Edwin "Whitey" Ford

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I love the look of the 51 Bowman. I have never owned one, but I picked up these reprints when I was 7 or 8 and I have always liked the way they look. If I ever collect anything from that era it would probably be these.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

another for my 87 set.

a Jordan.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 3:14PM

Some additions for my 1989 UD #1 PSA Rainbow set.

POP 67 out of 71,000 graded.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@45isodd said:
    1971 Arco Thurman Munson. Had this slabbed in the new jumbo holder.

Nice

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Last week I had a "jumbo" mail day in more ways than one! First, I was thrilled to add this to my Gino Cappelletti collection;

A hobby contact of mine bought this in January, thinking he was buying a 1967 Caprolan premium like the one I showed earlier in this thread, but when he got it in hand he noticed the verbiage in the bottom right was different. Allied Chem was the parent company of Caprolan Nylon, but this is the only "All-Star" photo either of us has ever seen with that text change. I asked him a couple of times if it was available and he said "no thanks," so I was surprised recently when he decided to let it go. He sent me the photo for a fair price and I'm thrilled to own it! Now I need to convince PSA to slab it.

Additionally, I bought a sealed pack of 1973-74 Linnett sketches, which included my man Yaz. Another that's headed to PSA and a jumbo slab.

I'm waiting some myself

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@45isodd said:
    1971 Arco Thurman Munson. Had this slabbed in the new jumbo holder.

Show the Clemente too! ;)

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    My latest pickup is one of the more sought after key cards of the 20th century. To be honest, I am pretty sure this is one of the nicest looking examples you'll ever see of this card and yet because of the way things are now done in this hobby it is probably also low grade. You see, this card has a flaw. Whether it is naturally occurring (a rivet or groove) or a crease, it is only found on the back of the cardboard to the right of the text. It is visible in the scan and catches the light (as it can just look like a lighter area in the scan). And it does virtually nothing to hurt the overall look of the card, especially on the front where it is not in anyway visible. And yet, based on many recent submissions, I could easily see this coming back with a 3, 2 or even a 1. Because I would find that offensive to my eyes and my sensibilities as a card collector, I'm probably just keeping this one raw for the forseeable future. The card itself has been on my want list since childhood but I always wanted it to look a certain way and as prices kept creeping up it seemingly just got too far out of reach. So, as a get, this one makes me very happy, slots perfectly into my collection and fills the final attainable hole in my Yankees Rookie collection. However, it also makes me sad because there was a time when cards with one flaw that looked like this were 6s and 7s all day long. Maybe, one day the pendulum will swing back and what the card looks like actually will be of paramount importance once again but for now an UltraPro will have to suffice for the Chairman of the Board.

1951 Bowman #1 Edwin "Whitey" Ford

Pretty card, I don't care what it grades.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

@NGS428 said:
    Some additions for my 1989 UD #1 PSA Rainbow set.

POP 67 out of 71,000 graded.

I love this card! it never gets old in any grade.

Matt
  • Options

@abcoltsfan said:
    I got these during the last ebay bucks promotion. Very excited about the Manning! Got a decent deal and the card has been a white whale of mine. Looks even better in person! My scanner has some specks on it I haven't been able to get off.

A couple nice acquisitions. Congrats to you. I have always liked that Manning card too.

Matt
  • Options

@RookieHOFers said:

High praise, considering the source. I have broken two mouse’s (mice? meece?) clicking back to your 52T311 thread, sir.

As a huge Mantle fan and collector, I like you dreamed of one day owning one. Not anytime soon for me.

Congrats again on the immense pickup, Matt.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RookieHOFers said:

High praise, considering the source. I have broken two mouse’s (mice? meece?) clicking back to your 52T311 thread, sir.

As a huge Mantle fan and collector, I like you dreamed of one day owning one. Not anytime soon for me.

Do you really think that card would grade only a 1 or 2 because of this defect? That seems really excessive. I would have thought it would be a 5.

• Options

@RookieHOFers said:

Thank you Tim. I really appreciate it.

Matt