Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

May Pickups - It's Spring time so shower us with your cards!!

I guess I'll kick things off for May with this (POP 1) PSA 10 Mario Lemieux ROOKIE.

It's freshly re-holdered, and get's a "hat trick" for bold colors, sharpness and centering.

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 3:11PM

I knew it! Congrats! Fantastic POP 1 card! Such and amazingly difficult card to get in a 9 let alone a 10! No Topps 10 either. Though I am hoping to change that! ;)

Kevin

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    I guess I'll kick things off for May with this (POP 1) PSA 10 Mario Lemieux ROOKIE.

It's freshly re-holdered, and get's a "hat trick" for bold colors, sharpness and centering.

Nice. In my opinion the holy grail of Mario Lemieux cards. That is it my friend. The holy grail of Mario Lemieux cards.

• Options

Man, what a sight.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 3:54PM

@UFFDAH said:

>
    >

What a masterpiece. Congrats. Probably won’t see another one of those for a long time if ever.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2019 4:15PM

@JBrules said:

What a masterpiece. Congrats. Probably won’t see another one of those for a long time if ever.

You are absolutely correct. Next time you see one of these it will be the same card when they feature part II of @UFFDAH ‘s collection in a future issue of the SMR. :D If there’s any card post 1970 that will stand the POP 1 test of time it’s this one.

Kevin

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Box bottoms of any kind are super hard 10’s.... add in color borders and they’re impossible! Wow, I don’t even collect hockey, but I love that card!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's no Lemieux, but hey.. :smile:

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 5:48PM

First May delivery! Part of the next vintage sub I’m putting together! Can’t believe how much fun collecting cards is 😁😁😁

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just picked this one up.. got this card and some very old newspapers from the 1870's-1880's ( aprox 20 papers )

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 7:04AM

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Got this Hostak for my 48 set. I'm also in the process of grading all of my cowboy rookies. I had an Irvin, but got this PSA 9 cheaper than I could have got mine graded. I am normally an SGC guy, but doing more and more PSA.

• Options

Welcome Tom. Sweet card!

Kevin

• Options

@LOTSOS said:
    Welcome Tom. Sweet card!

Welcome to the boards Tom. I hope you have as much fun here as we do.

• Options

@Coarsegold said:

Hello,my name is Tom and I'm new to the boards. I collect HOF RC cards for my two sons ages 3 and 7. Was happy to pick this up for their collection.

Welcome to the boards Tom. I hope you have as much fun here as we do.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 10:40AM

My first May pickup is another addition to my Mickey Mantle collection. Eye appeal is off the charts on this one and at the moment, I do not know if this item (or it's set) has a spec at PSA and if it does it would need to be in a Jumbo as it is the same size as the 1954 All Star Pack Photos (6 x 8.5). Regardless of whether it is slabbed one day, it's one of the more recognizable poses on one of the more rare items bearing his image (in PSA pop and in general with respect to some picture pack items, these don't pop up too often - pun intended).

1960 New York Yankee Photo Pack Mickey Mantle

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the complements on the Mario!! It's a BEAST of a card for sure. Defies the odds and is a super freak among collecting.

Some great stuff being shared by all !! An 81' Football WAX BOX makes me salivate with the thoughts of ripping packs as a kid.

That 68' 3D Clemente. That's a dream card for me and on the bucket list. I remember the Clemente 3D being showcased as an elite card when I was around 12 or so in the early 80's. To me it's a card of ages, a card that is legendary in collecting!!

@LOTSOS - Kevin I hope you land a Topps Mario Box Bottom BEAST of a PSA 10!! If you do I'm celebrating with a cold one!!

• Options
    edited May 2, 2019 5:35PM

@UFFDAH said:

@LOTSOS - Kevin I hope you land a Topps Mario Box Bottom BEAST of a PSA 10!! If you do I'm celebrating with a cold one!!

I will celebrate with several. If I’m ever going to get one it’s the one I just subbed. Fingers crossed. 🤞🏼

Kevin

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 7:04AM

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 6:15PM

Seller sent me the wrong card and then nicely corrected the mistake by sending me the right one. rsehlke may be on here, that is their name on ebay. Thanks!

I prefer lighthouse labels, but I think the front centering on the other is better. Thoughts? $10 card so I am not going to lose too much sleep. :smiley:

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

@UFFDAH said:

I will celebrate with several. If I’m ever going to get one it’s the one I just subbed. Fingers crossed. 🤞🏼

Looking forward to seeing the results. What is the ETA?

• Options

@JBrules said:

@LOTSOS said:

@UFFDAH said:

Looking forward to seeing the results. What is the ETA?

Literally just shipped. Should land on Friday. Log? Plus 25 business days so hopefully by mid June.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Got this coming too.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

Picked up an 81 Raines cello. Going a little crazy on unopened and may have a problem :)

Great pack!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a card, but an addition to my bobblehead collection. I finally stopped by guest services to pick up my limited edition bobblehead, given as a gift to season ticket holders. It depicts the franchise's 2 World Series MVPs holding the respective championship trophies. (And yes, according to this, Saberhagen was/is both taller and more bulky than Salvy. Haha!)

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first 9 for my 58 set.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another May pickup, another off the beaten path Mickey Mantle item. Can’t be graded as of now (though perhaps it will down the line). You just don’t see them pop up too often let alone at a reasonable price. There’s no doubt that it’s a cool shot of Mickey and Topps boxes are certainly a niche market but the combined appeal (Topps/Mantle/rare) made it something I’ve always wanted for my personal collection...eventually.

Well, the time has come.

1968 Topps Baseball Card Box w/Mickey Mantle

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:

Not as rare as the Lemieux but close enough.

Wow that is an amazing pick up. So few of those out there - congratulations.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,my name is Tom and I'm new to the boards. I collect HOF RC cards for my two sons ages 3 and 7. Was happy to pick this up for their collection.

Welcome Tom!

What a nice addition to your collection.

Mike
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won 2 GQ blasters and pulled this today, a Jackie Robinson Day short print variation

Then I opened the rest of the mail, a few free Fan packs, some autographs, a coin card and a Phillies baseball

• Options
    edited May 3, 2019 3:49PM

@1970s said:

@LOTSOS said:
    I knew it! Congrats! Fantastic POP 1 card! Such and amazingly difficult card to get in a 9 let alone a 10! No Topps 10 either. Though I am hoping to change that! ;)

Good luck. I was the first person to get four PSA 9's on the Topps Lemieux. Got them all during the same time period from a bunch of box bottoms I cut up. I suppose any of them in the old holders could get cracked if someone was willing to take the risk for a 10. A lot of people do it.

Wow 4! :o There are only 5 now so you are responsible for most of them. I currently have a 9. Chances are it's one of yours. There are no Topps PSA 10's for any card. OPC has 4. Two from the same panel. I submitted all 4 from the Lemieux panel I cut. I cut it just like @UFFDAH's with cuts made slightly outside the border. That obviously impacts the other cards but Mario was the priority with Perreault being second. Wish I would have scanned it but I was in a hurry to get it shipped on Weds before I left town. It did arrive at PSA this am but hasn't been logged yet.

Kevin

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Added two cards to my Splendor auto collection. I'll post all of it eventually. These may be my favorites though.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Fergie23 for sending the boxes in great condition.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes opening packs is a good thing.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@remedylane said:
    Got this coming too.

Great card! I keep meaning to pick one of those up.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

James, great cards! I don’t remember you picking up any football or any sport than Baseball in the past....

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 1:00AM

My first bowman box I have ever purchased. My wife just pulled this card, I don’t know to much about new cards, because I usually only collect vintage but thought It was cooler than heck.

13/25 I think it’s a refractor as well.

I just received the grades.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@remedylane said:
    Got this coming too.

Great card! I keep meaning to pick one of those up.

Thanks! I know the pop is high on it, but I think it's a great looking card.