Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need a crash course in silver dollars...

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in a pawn shop today and looking at some coins when a guy behind me who at first I thought was a clerk answering my questions turns out to be someone who just walked in. He started telling me about his wifes grandpa who passed and left a collection of silver dollars. I told him I was interested, He then asked the pawn guy if that was allright and the clerk said to take it outside. YAY! So, we traded #'s and are meeting up tomorrow. When asked, he explained the coins were not graded but in slips in folders. I don't want to pay too much but at the same time I want to give a fair price. I need to know what the key dates are? What to be looking for? What is a fair price for cir. and uncir. etc. Obviously, if I see one thing that looks great I will try and secure the entire collection rather quickly. But I don't even know what I'm up against yet.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 12:52PM

quick:
    Buy a Red Book, but don't use those prices for buying, divide say by a fair number

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

If they have a lady with flowing hair...

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 1:27PM

a quick look at the prices in the PCGS Price Guide will give you an idea of the more valuable key dates. Make a list of the key dates. The fact that he was answering your coin questions in the shop indicates he already knows the key dates and has likely pulled them.

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

The first thing I would do is google his name and phone number since you probably know both. As @jmlanzaf said; How well do you know this pawn broker? Unless you do a lot of business with the pawn broker it doesn't pass the "smell test" in my opinion. Do you know someone locally that's knowledgeable about silver dollars who could accompany you to the meet?

Meet in a place where you will feel safe preferable a public place. If the seller balks that would be a red flag.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to meet people in a room at a public library - "neutral territory". If you don't know anything about coins, YOU are the disadvantaged ones in this transaction.

thefinn
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 2:41PM

sounds like a set-up to me, but bring a football player size friend or two w/you to the meeting at a police station.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 2:47PM

Walk, better yet, Run away from this potential scam. This scenario reminds of David Hannum famous saying:

"There's a sucker born every minute"

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are few coincidences when it comes to your lucky day. If you must do this, you need a magnet, a digital scale, some easy accessible reference info and time. The fakes are everywhere. Plenty of proof about fakes on the Google. Crappy fakes, good ones and really good ones. Are you going to have the time needed to avoid being ripped off? Do you know what the silver melt price is today? I bet the seller knows. Are you talking one coin or many? Since you were actively looking for coins at a pawn, do you know a reputable coin dealer? You could invite the dealer along as your "uncle". A trusted coin dealer is worth paying for his services if the deal is potentially large. Maybe share the opportunity with him. You need help unless you have money to waste. Okay, I'm done. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are plenty of other options if buying silver dollars is something you want to do. Do not think you are going to get a good deal from some random guy that just bumped into you. Call him back and cancel. Listen carefully to these other comments, there's no need to rush your collection. What do they tell kids? Stranger Danger. Seriously reconsider.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    There are few coincidences when it comes to your lucky day. If you must do this, you need a magnet, a digital scale, some easy accessible reference info and time. The fakes are everywhere. Plenty of proof about fakes on the Google. Crappy fakes, good ones and really good ones. Are you going to have the time needed to avoid being ripped off? Do you know what the silver melt price is today? I bet the seller knows. Are you talking one coin or many? Since you were actively looking for coins at a pawn, do you know a reputable coin dealer? You could invite the dealer along as your "uncle". A trusted coin dealer is worth paying for his services if the deal is potentially large. Maybe share the opportunity with him. You need help unless you have money to waste. Okay, I'm done. Peace Roy

I may have been a little bit misleading in my hurried statement, he wasn't actually answering my questions and I'm not exactly sure what he was saying or asking at that moment but the conversation started quickly. He seemed very honest and not desperate at all. He really didn't seem to know much other than they were silver dollars. Didn't know what a slab was. Said his wife was taking someone to the medical center and said he and she would be available tomorrow. But again, they say serial killers don't look like, Yikes!

And also, he never mentioned a price for anything or even eluded that his wife knows either.
    Thanks for all the warnings I will proceed very cautiously now...

• Options

@Onastone said:
    There are plenty of other options if buying silver dollars is something you want to do. Do not think you are going to get a good deal from some random guy that just bumped into you. Call him back and cancel. Listen carefully to these other comments, there's no need to rush your collection. What do they tell kids? Stranger Danger. Seriously reconsider.

I think I will try meeting at public Library and bring my good buddy and his license to carry. Can you do that at a library? Yikes!

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭

The pawn shop did NOT make an offer?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Namvet69 said:

I may have been a little bit misleading in my hurried statement, he wasn't actually answering my questions and I'm not exactly sure what he was saying or asking at that moment but the conversation started quickly. He seemed very honest and not desperate at all. He really didn't seem to know much other than they were silver dollars. Didn't know what a slab was. Said his wife was taking someone to the medical center and said he and she would be available tomorrow. But again, they say serial killers don't look like, Yikes!

And also, he never mentioned a price for anything or even eluded that his wife knows either.
    Thanks for all the warnings I will proceed very cautiously now...

Why would he seem desperate or hurried? Thieves have nerves of steel. [If he were one. ]

I've seen people come into my friend's store with fakes [$20 saint even] that they bought from casual friendly strangers advertising their inherited collection. I've seen it more than once. Ask the dealers on this board.

A neutral meeting place stops an outright robbery. On the other hand, all fakes are sold at neutral meeting places because you'll never find the guy.

Feds arrested a Pennsylvania man last year for selling fakes in multiple neighboring states. He ran ads offering to sell coins, even slabbed coins, that he inherited because he needed money. He would drive up, make the sale and disappear. Change email address and burner phone and do it again. Took them a while to find his actual identity.

If you are not expert enough to identify fakes or knowledgeable enough to price accurately, there is NO upside to this.

Even if it's legit, 95% of these collections end up being common swill. And 4.9% of then and up being common but nice. Given the thin bid/ask spread on silver dollars, it's a lot of risk to save a buck or two per coin.

But let us know what happens. There's always the 0.1%

• Options
    edited September 7, 2018 4:26PM

@giantsfan20 said:

Fishy, don't ya think?

There's a local coin guy i spend tens of thousands with every year. If I bought or sold anything in his store or even tried to, he'd ban me for life. And he should. Occasionally he'll offer me a deal, but he gets 10%.

• Options

@giantsfan20 said:

He didn't have any coins with him. And I was under the impression he hadn't even spoke to the clerk yet. I assumed he was looking to price what he had and I happen to just walk in and started spouting across the room about looking at some coins and he over heard me. He said they have coins and stamps. So, if he had asked them for an offer I never heard it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@giantsfan20 said:

Fishy, don't ya think?

There's a local coin guy i spend tens of thousands with every year. If I bought or sold anything in his store or even tried to, he'd ban me for life. And he should. Occasionally he'll offer me a deal, but he gets 10%.

@jmlanzaf said:

@giantsfan20 said:

Fishy, don't ya think?

It does! And if it was, it was very clever.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "...a crash course in silver dollars."

Drop a bag on your foot. You will learn much from that.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think all of the aforementioned comments in this thread, put together would make a great movie, “Pawn Shop Blues”

:o

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 7:50PM

Get a Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Coins, by R.S. Yeoman). Coin shops sell these.
    It will show you the basics like mint mark location, grading, and which ones are higher value.
    You will want this just for your education on coins, even if you don't buy these coins.
    https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Book-United-States-Coins/dp/0794845061

On your visit, just bring the Red Book, pencil and paper and inventory the collection.
    If there are grades on the holders, write those down, but on the higher value coins, try to grade them yourself.
    This will give you some info for making an offer later, if you choose to do so.
    Bring a magnet to test for fakes (plated steel). But this won't catch all fakes.
    Better is to have a digital scale, but I bet you don't have one.
    If you have a camera or a cell phone with camera, take some shots of the more valuable coins, especially the mint mark.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring someone with you that knows coins. Otherwise fairly certain you will end up with Chinese / Russian fakes.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crash course will take about a year, at least.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    RE: "...a crash course in silver dollars."

Drop a bag on your foot. You will learn much from that.

Even though I don't even think I got a straight answer yet. About pricing. The knowledge is priceless and I had no idea how many scam artist are in my new favorite hobby. Its a jungle out there, huh. To the novel:The really strange part was he seemed to come out of now where and then after we talked outside and I was walking back to my car I looked back and he was gone. And for the record, I got really good vibes.

I am an optimist, you actually drop a rock on your foot if your eyes hurt, and if your foot hurts put pepper in your eyes :)

• Options

@Namvet69 said:

I was under the assumption that they didn't really know what they had and would let go of the collection fairly quickly. Was he setting a trap? I wasn't planning on spending more than a few hundred so if we meet and all of sudden he has prices and high prices then I will take pics, reschedule another meeting, and refer back to this thread for confirmation. Again, thanks for all the support.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring a magnet.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    There is a price guide here, but the first issue is making sure they are genuine, not made in China or somewhere else. Counterfeiters are very good now. Be careful.

And take a small magnet with you, It helps some times.
    You are jumping in the deep end but hey that is the best way to get it done good luck just buy back and you will be okay.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

another amateur looking for his big score...

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

???

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

y

I was under the assumption that they didn't really know what they had and would let go of the collection fairly quickly. Was he setting a trap? I wasn't planning on spending more than a few hundred so if we meet and all of sudden he has prices and high prices then I will take pics, reschedule another meeting, and refer back to this thread for confirmation. Again, thanks for all the support.

IF they are Morgan $s and IF you are planning on spending only a "few hundred", you are planning on, at best, buying 30 or 40 coins at maybe $20 each. Given that there is a $2-$4 bid/ask spread, you are tryinng to spend $500-ish to save less than $100 while risking losing $100 if you end up buying culls or losing $450 + if you end up buying chinese fakes worth 99 cents each.

There is just no upside to the risk, especially if you don't know silver $s.

And if it is legit, don't expect to be welcomed back to the pawn shop ever again.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

After you buy them, you're going to have to hang around the pawn shop and try to move them onto the next guy. I don't think you should say your wife's grandpa died though, sounds too suspicious. Think about it, if you inherited coins, what's the first thing you would ask yourself? Everybody on this forum would ask, How much is this worth? And then get them appraised by a real coin guy not some pawn shop clerk. And certainly you would not try to sell them to some random customer in a pawn shop that didn't really know much about silver dollars.

I don't even think I got a straight answer yet. About pricing.

Okay. Here's a price for you. They are worth nothing. The pawn shop wasn't even interested and if I had a pawn shop, I would say Can I see them first?

Good luck Mr CoinscratchFever. Let us know how your meeting goes with Mr Grifter.

• Options

@Aotearoa said:

@yosclimber said:

???

Yes, I have one I use for pennies but still don't know how much the dollar weighs, going to google.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    After you buy them, you're going to have to hang around the pawn shop and try to move them onto the next guy. I don't think you should say your wife's grandpa died though, sounds too suspicious. Think about it, if you inherited coins, what's the first thing you would ask yourself? Everybody on this forum would ask, How much is this worth? And then get them appraised by a real coin guy not some pawn shop clerk. And certainly you would not try to sell them to some random customer in a pawn shop that didn't really know much about silver dollars.

I don't even think I got a straight answer yet. About pricing.

Okay. Here's a price for you. They are worth nothing. The pawn shop wasn't even interested and if I had a pawn shop, I would say Can I see them first?

Good luck Mr CoinscratchFever. Let us know how your meeting goes with Mr Grifter.

Maybe so, but I will have to learn my way. And I will post the results. The good problem for me is that not everybody is as smart as you.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

go to eBay and look at grades and sales - pay attention to holders and folders and storage methods that look 30 years old.

then go to alibaba and look at Morgans that sell for a couple bucks apiece and sets.

know the current silver value and content -> coininflation

don't spend more money than you can afford to lose, because when you start with coins you will lose money

have an idea about what you are going to do with them once you have them

• Options

Okay, just got off the phone and we are meeting in 2 hours in a public place and with his wife who is a 26 year veteran of the Houston police dept. Apparently, this is only 1/4 of the loot as the other 3 siblings split the collection. He said he will bring a variety sampler because Yesterday I mentioned proof sets as well.
    So, he sounds very legit and if he is. I still have a learned a lot from ya'll guys and realize how gullible I sounded.
    Will post results later tonight.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you said You and the seller exchanged name and info.
    take that info to your local sheriff or police and have them check him out for "prior knowns".
    If he is a known crook they will assist you, if he is clean, well u will be on your own

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not verified, all the ‘police veteran’ angle means is they’re bringing a gun. Had someone try to pull that nonsense on me with a french bulldog. Be careful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file