Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need a crash course in silver dollars...

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever,

Good luck. Bring a tablet that can access the internet during the meet. Be prepared to take pictures and look online for pricing. Look carefully at the edges of coins and packaging for anything untoward.

Most of all, challenge your instincts for a happy outcome because the odds are vastly against you and you won’t even know what you’re missing.

And again: good luck.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slider23 said:
    You are out of your league to make this transaction. You lack the basic knowledge about silver dollars to get a fair deal and protect yourself from buying fakes. Pass on the deal as a crash course will only get you into more trouble.

Okay we met and luckily they were the nicest kind of people. Funny thing is he didn't have very many silver dollars with him. I purchased these 41 proof sets for 300.00 or 7.31 each.
    But what really caught my eye is this book of quarters. He is asking 700.00 he says that is the silver content. He is holding it for me but I need to know if that is a fair price? Should I buy it? Will just one coin pay for it? They have a lot more and will be sending me pics, plus one of her sisters is wanting to sell her portion. Who knows what may

cometh.

• Options

The book is full I just didn't take pics of every page. Plus, this folder of quarters looked really clean.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 11:00AM

I dont collect these but I am glad your okay. I cant comment on the 700 dollars or the purchase but someone here will let you know if you did okay. I think Mr. Meziak on HSN sell these. Also on Ebay they sell these. Hope that helps. $300.00 is alot of money I did not see the older ones those might be ok. 1968, 1975, 1979, 1980 not sure what there worth.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert and I'm sure someone else can chime in that is, but I think silver quarters and half dollars would be 1964 or earlier which means 95% of what you just showed in the photos are not in fact silver at all, but clad.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarters and halves you are showing are clad (for the most part). Quarters were silver from '64 and before....the same for halves - that is, except for silver proof sets issued by the mint, and those are marked. The silver content of the silver quarters ('32-64), depending if each year has all mints... is around $200.... and depending on rarities or condition of the quarters in the album (not slabbed), maybe a little more. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the posts here.

If you don't have the knowledge to accurately assess the value grades and authenticity of the coins I would pass.

And in this situation since you don't know who this person is, you could be hurt or robbed or that the coins could be stolen.

So if it was me I would either refer the guy to a dealer friend or just pass altogether.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only time I was ever lucky enough to be in your position, I was an acquaintance of the man. I met with him with no cash, a set of electronic scales, and weighed the coins in groups of five or 10. Not a for sure plan, but better than no plan. I did not offer enough and only got 30 $1's and some rolls of halves. They had an unreal value placed on the coins. As most all have stated, you will have a high chance of finding fake coins, so be careful and best of luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it's pretty easy to check the claim that the Dansco album of Washington quarters is worth $700 for "the silver content." Washington quarters were silver from 1932 through 1964 - that's 83 coins. (From 1965 on, they were made from copper and nickel.) Silver quarters currently have a "melt value" - which is the value of the silver that they contain - of about $2.55. So assuming the album contains all 83 silver issues, the "silver value" of the album is about $212.

Most silver Washington quarters were very common, so their main value is their silver value. There are two rare dates: 1932-S and 1932-D. If the album includes these, they add to the value, but their condition is all-important to knowing how much (as BillJones mentioned).

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 6:45PM

First of all, you don't have 41 proof sets. Those mint sets are double sets. There are two envelopes for EACH.

If there are actually silver proof sets in the 2001-2005 boxes, then you did okay. Those Mint sets are $6 each (which is $3 per envelope). The blue boxes are $5 to $8 each. The Red boxes - IF THEY ARE SILVER SETS IN THEM - are more like $30 each. The white envelopes are about $5 each. If there are clad coins in the red boxes, you got hosed. If there are silver coins in there, you are probably okay but no great deal.

I would have sold that whole lot to you for about $350 at FULL retail.

$700 for the quarters is NOT the silver value. Even if there are all the modern silver proofs in there and complete from 1932 up, you are talking around $40 face value which is less than $500 in silver. [Coins would need to go through 2008 not just 1998]

• Options
    edited September 8, 2018 12:20PM

@ProfLiz said:
    Well, it's pretty easy to check the claim that the Dansco album of Washington quarters is worth $700 for "the silver content." Washington quarters were silver from 1932 through 1964 - that's 83 coins. (From 1965 on, they were made from copper and nickel.) Silver quarters currently have a "melt value" - which is the value of the silver that they contain - of about $2.55. So assuming the album contains all 83 silver issues, the "silver value" of the album is about $212.

Most silver Washington quarters were very common, so their main value is their silver value. There are two rare dates: 1932-S and 1932-D. If the album includes these, they add to the value, but their condition is all-important to knowing how much (as BillJones mentioned).

You might have to include the modern silver proofs if those were there which would about double the "silver value" - Assuming they go to 2008 not 1998

I remain convinced they are likely stolen.

• Options

@SiriusBlack said:
    I'm no expert and I'm sure someone else can chime in that is, but I think silver quarters and half dollars would be 1964 or earlier which means 95% of what you just showed in the photos are not in fact silver at all, but clad.

You are correct.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2018 12:40PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    The book is full I just didn't take pics of every page. Plus, this folder of quarters looked really clean.![](https://us.v-

Those "really clean" quarters you are showing us are actually AVERAGE TO BELOW AVERAGE for those years. Most early 60s quarters are AU/Unc.

Those half dollars are a mix of clad an 40%.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are playing in a fire pit and are going to get burned.

• Options

You are over your head. I hope it works out.

I'm done dispensing free unwelcome advice.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 1:28PM

The mint has not packaged Proof sets in envelopes since 1964. Since then they have been in plastic holders housed in various types of thin cardboard covers. What he sold you are mostly mint sets. These items are very much out of favor now, and dealers pay deep discounts (10 to 20 percent under Gray Sheet “bid”) when they buy these items.

The State Quarter Proof sets with the red covers contain 90% silver coins. The plastic holders in them have a red background. If they have a blue background, you have a problem because those are clad Proof sets, which are worth less.

I would say watch your step. The fact that he said he was going to bring silver dollars and then brought something else might be a bait and switch. The coins in your photos are very common, and don’t have much value beyond the silver they contain.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 1:38PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Okay, just got off the phone and we are meeting in 2 hours in a public place and with his wife who is a 26 year veteran of the Houston police dept. Apparently, this is only 1/4 of the loot as the other 3 siblings split the collection. He said he will bring a variety sampler because Yesterday I mentioned proof sets as well.
    So, he sounds very legit and if he is. I still have a learned a lot from ya'll guys and realize how gullible I sounded.
    Will post results later tonight.

Don't put to much in to the proof set they are not worth much some only go for face value or melt if silver be safe out there you can get sideways if your not keeping a good head, Just buy back and all will be good you will make $$$ Be safe.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    You are over your head. I hope it works out.

I'm done dispensing free unwelcome advice

Maybe so, but your advice is very welcome, always.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 1:46PM

Why did the OP post a request for information.....? Not sure how all this works out but if the OP is OK with it....that's fine.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there any cream in the Quarter Dansco like the 1932-D before the 1964? If it was full from the start to 1964 $700 is a good price if they are UNC. anything after that you can get for $2 to $3 ea.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Okay, just got off the phone and we are meeting in 2 hours in a public place and with his wife who is a 26 year veteran of the Houston police dept. Apparently, this is only 1/4 of the loot as the other 3 siblings split the collection. He said he will bring a variety sampler because Yesterday I mentioned proof sets as well.
    So, he sounds very legit and if he is. I still have a learned a lot from ya'll guys and realize how gullible I sounded.
    Will post results later tonight.

Don't put to much in to the proof set they are not worth much some only go for face value or melt if silver be safe out there you can get sideways if your not keeping a good head, Just buy back and all will be good you will make $$$ Be safe.

Thanks! One of the uncir. nickels 1975 has full steps and nice toning. I don't think it would hit 67 but even in a 66 is worth 175.00.
    Between these and the pennies I picked up Yesterday I have plenty to do, and will certainly come back with more pics in the coming days.

• Options

@Type2 said:
    Was there any cream in the Quarter Dansco like the 1932-D before the 1964? If it was full from the start to 1964 $700 is a good price if they are UNC. anything after that you can get for $2 to $3 ea.

The whole thing looked like cream to me however, the first page with the 30's looked really good for the age but not as good as the pics shown. I should have taken more and better pics. In my mind the book was oozing DCAM and they pretty much all looked uncir. I was already going to buy it next week. Now, I will for sure thanks. I'm feeling a PCGS order is coming, better go grab a beer and start unwrapping these lincs. Cheers

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Namvet69 said:
    There are few coincidences when it comes to your lucky day. If you must do this, you need a magnet, a digital scale, some easy accessible reference info and time. The fakes are everywhere. Plenty of proof about fakes on the Google. Crappy fakes, good ones and really good ones. Are you going to have the time needed to avoid being ripped off? Do you know what the silver melt price is today? I bet the seller knows. Are you talking one coin or many? Since you were actively looking for coins at a pawn, do you know a reputable coin dealer? You could invite the dealer along as your "uncle". A trusted coin dealer is worth paying for his services if the deal is potentially large. Maybe share the opportunity with him. You need help unless you have money to waste. Okay, I'm done. Peace Roy

I was under the assumption that they didn't really know what they had and would let go of the collection fairly quickly. Was he setting a trap? I wasn't planning on spending more than a few hundred so if we meet and all of sudden he has prices and high prices then I will take pics, reschedule another meeting, and refer back to this thread for confirmation. Again, thanks for all the support.

Maybe the Pawn Broker figured they were stolen, and didn't want any part of that. Maybe that's why the guy wants to get rid of them fast.

thefinn
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 2:25PM

shu4040 thank you for coming over!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large numbers of Chinese counterfeits do make me grumpy. What if the Chinese were printing a wide variety of the classic baseball cards in large numbers, @shu4040. You would to warn newbies about them too to keep the crooks from making elicit profits.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

If you want more proof and mint sets, I'll sell them to you at 20 back of greysheet.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really depends if you're buying for yourself to keep or buying for resale. You need to think about how much time you'll spend on this collection and if it's worth what you'll clear if for resale.

• Options

@gtstang said:
    Really depends if you're buying for yourself to keep or buying for resale. You need to think about how much time you'll spend on this collection and if it's worth what you'll clear if for resale.

Very good point. What is the goal in this at the end of the day?

• Options

@afford said:
    When a complete novice says "I got really good vibes" .......well that sells it all. I hope you don't get hurt in any way shape or form.
    GLTU
    you will obviously need it
    And that is all I am going to say

I got people vibes not coin vibes meaning I detected no threat

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    If you want more proof and mint sets, I'll sell them to you at 20 back of greysheet.

Why would I buy a mint set from a professional

• Options

@SiriusBlack said:

@gtstang said:

Very good point. What is the goal in this at the end of the day?

I truly enjoy it! Even if I fail. To me the most intriguing part of this is the fact that the treasure is always there. They made to many billions of coins to think that they are all gone or couldn't be had. In fact, almost none of them ever leave or go away forever, they just change hands over the years. Right now, my goal is to make wine out of water while enjoying it along the way :)

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Because I'm selling them for LESS than the guy you are buying them from.

On the sets you bought, 20% back of greysheet is about $275.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@jmlanzaf said:

This disturbs me...and costs people a lot of money. The assumption is that the nice friendly man who is selling "grandpa's collection" must give you a better deal than a coin dealer. That's the same "non-professional" who told you he was selling you about $22 Face in 90% silver "at melt" for the low, low price of $700 when $20 Face in 90% silver is worth about $250 at current silver prices.

I will refrain from any further advice. After all, why would you take free advice from a professional?

• Options

How much did the nice friendly man charge for the 40% silver half dollars? Out of curiosity.

• Options

@thefinn said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Namvet69 said:
    There are few coincidences when it comes to your lucky day. If you must do this, you need a magnet, a digital scale, some easy accessible reference info and time. The fakes are everywhere. Plenty of proof about fakes on the Google. Crappy fakes, good ones and really good ones. Are you going to have the time needed to avoid being ripped off? Do you know what the silver melt price is today? I bet the seller knows. Are you talking one coin or many? Since you were actively looking for coins at a pawn, do you know a reputable coin dealer? You could invite the dealer along as your "uncle". A trusted coin dealer is worth paying for his services if the deal is potentially large. Maybe share the opportunity with him. You need help unless you have money to waste. Okay, I'm done. Peace Roy

I was under the assumption that they didn't really know what they had and would let go of the collection fairly quickly. Was he setting a trap? I wasn't planning on spending more than a few hundred so if we meet and all of sudden he has prices and high prices then I will take pics, reschedule another meeting, and refer back to this thread for confirmation. Again, thanks for all the support.

Maybe the Pawn Broker figured they were stolen, and didn't want any part of that. Maybe that's why the guy wants to get rid of them fast.

Man, the pawn broker never saw a coin, where you been? LOL

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    How much did the nice friendly man charge for the 40% silver half dollars? Out of curiosity.

I never asked wasn't interested in those

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@jmlanzaf said:

This disturbs me...and costs people a lot of money. The assumption is that the nice friendly man who is selling "grandpa's collection" must give you a better deal than a coin dealer. That's the same "non-professional" who told you he was selling you about $22 Face in 90% silver "at melt" for the low, low price of $700 when $20 Face in 90% silver is worth about $250 at current silver prices.

I will refrain from any further advice. After all, why would you take free advice from a professional?

Quite frankly, I don't mind paying over spot for coins and the chance to be lucky when coming from a non professional who is looking to dump father in laws collection, it was never grandpa that was my bad.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2018 6:19PM

@CoinscratchFever said:

Quite frankly, I don't mind paying over spot for coins and the chance to be lucky when coming from a non professional who is looking to dump father in laws collection, it was never grandpa that was my bad.

LMAO. That completely misses the point. The nice amateur told you what was either a blatant lie or a blatant mistake for your chance to "be lucky".

Well, good luck to you.

And the last bit of free advice you'll get from me: bid on a complete set of Washington quarters from 1932-1964 is $450. BU bid for 1965-1998 is $150. So, make sure you give the nice man $700 for those - that's full retail. Just what a professional would charge you.

• Options

I get it now! The whole scenario reeks when read on the screen, it sounds like a scam from the get go. And I truly appreciate all the wisdom spewing. And will be needing more shortly...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

LMAO. That completely misses the point. The nice amateur told you what was either a blatant lie or a blatant mistake for your chance to "be lucky".

Well, good luck to you.

Thanks Jim, I will be sharing my finds as they come. How many years of not finding anything does it take to become jaded in this hobby?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@thefinn said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Namvet69 said:

Man, the pawn broker never saw a coin, where you been? LOL

He doesn't have to look at a coin to think it is stolen, just the guy that brings them in. Where have you been? Maybe said pawn broker has been burnt by this guy when the police came checking on some previous jewelry that ended up being stolen, and he didn't want to lose what he paid on it. Good luck!

thefinn
  • Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

I truly enjoy it! Even if I fail. To me the most intriguing part of this is the fact that the treasure is always there. They made to many billions of coins to think that they are all gone or couldn't be had. In fact, almost none of them ever leave or go away forever, they just change hands over the years. Right now, my goal is to make wine out of water while enjoying it along the way :)

Depending on your religion I think only one person claimed to make water into wine so your shot at that is pretty low. :D

I can’t tell you what to do on this stuff because I’m new to collecting and don’t know enough about the quarters and halves. If you want some more concrete advice from the “old timers” here (yes I know you’re not all old!) then you probably need to post some more images of the beginning pages with the key dates. You mentioned sending some in for grading, so factor that in addition to the $700. To me it seems like a large amount of cash with a not so great return even if you are successful compared to the risk if you aren’t.

I know a lot of us are being curmudgeons but there’s a substantial amount of knowledge and skill here in the other members that are trying to help you so you don’t waste a bunch of money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file