Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need a crash course in silver dollars...

123457»

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

Here is a closer look...

• Options

@jmlanzaf okay boys and girls I’ve learned quite a bit since this train wreck. I’m really glad everyone got a real nice kick out of it. Rereading it I know I sure did. What the hell was I thinking and are all newbies as naive and stubborn as myself, I think not.
    I’d like to say thanks to everyone that was trying to help and now I realize it was everyone, even the ahem, king :D
    Couple of quick notes, yes I will now buy from professionals as much as possible, they’re really not out to get me after all. Yes, that was a bad purchase from top to bottom. Yes those coins were polished and probably with a power drill. No I’m not a troll but now that I know what one is and have now seen them first hand you probably had to wonder.
    And I’ll buy those mint packs 20 back of retail now 😁
    That’ll be all!...for now, Thank you all

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @jmlanzaf okay boys and girls I’ve learned quite a bit since this train wreck. I’m really glad everyone got a real nice kick out of it. Rereading it I know I sure did. What the hell was I thinking and are all newbies as naive and stubborn as myself, I think not.
    I’d like to say thanks to everyone that was trying to help and now I realize it was everyone, even the ahem, king :D
    Couple of quick notes, yes I will now buy from professionals as much as possible, they’re really not out to get me after all. Yes, that was a bad purchase from top to bottom. Yes those coins were polished and probably with a power drill. No I’m not a troll but now that I know what one is and have now seen them first hand you probably had to wonder.
    And I’ll buy those mint packs 20 back of retail now 😁
    That’ll be all!...for now, Thank you all

For what it's worth, you've become one of my favorite forum members. I appreciate your sense of humor and your attitude.

• Options

@jmlanzaf Thank you sir! I resemble that remark. I thought I pissed you off so bad you wouldn't even speak to me so that's nice to know. Your one of mine too, smarty pants.
    Equalizer ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @jmlanzaf Thank you sir! I resemble that remark. I thought I pissed you off so bad you wouldn't even speak to me so that's nice to know. Your one of mine too, smarty pants.
    Equalizer ;)

LOL! As you must know by know, I'll speak to anyone!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Equalizer ;)

LOL! As you must know by know, I'll speak to anyone!

Good, I'll hit you up on my next crash course :D

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not look at raw coins from someone I did not know personally for reasons above.

Even if you're up to speed on bullion pricing, better dates, etc. There are some very good fakes out there which can fool most people most of the time. When I was in Vietnam, I paid $20 for an 1875 CC Trade $ that looked to be in VF of XF. It looked legit, but I had a feeling it was probably fake.

I took it home and it fooled most dealers. What gave it away was the ping on the floor when it was dropped (I was okay with this), indicating that the metal content was incorrect. If the metal content was correct, it would be in a first world slab.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@Elcontador said:
    I would not look at raw coins from someone I did not know personally for reasons above.

Even if you're up to speed on bullion pricing, better dates, etc. There are some very good fakes out there which can fool most people most of the time. When I was in Vietnam, I paid $20 for an 1875 CC Trade $ that looked to be in VF of XF. It looked legit, but I had a feeling it was probably fake.

I took it home and it fooled most dealers. What gave it away was the ping on the floor when it was dropped (I was okay with this), indicating that the metal content was incorrect. If the metal content was correct, it would be in a first world slab.

Thank you for your service! That's insane, when I started this thread I didn't even know what a silver$ looked like let alone they made fakes. Now, as much as I have read about them and the fact that they're getting better all the time is very concerning.

To the point that I don't even pursue them anymore. I have a much safer gig now trying to turn copper into gold or at least 90% gold :) 10% copper.. And it takes a lot of copper to make one gold coin, but worth it.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's surprising how many people dislike dealers but are eager to be able to buy like they are one. I'm sure there's some sort of a lesson in there somewhere.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinscratch - To be fair, I was not in the service when I was in Vietnam. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

I went there right when it opened up to foreigners, as I wanted to get there before McDonald's. Must say, didn't have a bad meal there; lots to see and do, friendly locals, and it was cheap. have no idea what it is like now.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@RogerB said:
    RE: "...a crash course in silver dollars."

Drop a bag on your foot. You will learn much from that.

Even though I don't even think I got a straight answer yet. About pricing. The knowledge is priceless and I had no idea how many scam artist are in my new favorite hobby. Its a jungle out there, huh. To the novel:The really strange part was he seemed to come out of now where and then after we talked outside and I was walking back to my car I looked back and he was gone. And for the record, I got really good vibes.

I am an optimist, you actually drop a rock on your foot if your eyes hurt, and if your foot hurts put pepper in your eyes :)

You are more than just an optimist, you are a foolish optimist. I pray you don't get hurt.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2020 7:36AM

Thank you @trueblood but it's the other guy you need to worry about..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6RWiCc-imw

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file