Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need a crash course in silver dollars...

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    You have mentioned a few times how good the $700 quarter set is, but your pictures start on page 4 of the Dansco album with the early 60's silver and then start of the clads....

This is your picture, near the top in second row is a 1961-D and left of that are part of the reverses from the previous page. Just to the left of the 1961-D is the reverse of the 1951-D. The condition of the coin in the 1951_D spot is good / maybe Very Good....

The most money in a full Dansco 1932- Washington quarter album is the first page, then second, then third, then 4th.

I do not see anything showing me the coins in your $700 album are better than any of the linked eBay albums....

I suspect there are very few pawn shops that would be disappointed with you taking away their business with the accumulation of mint sets you purchased.

Yeah, I don't get it. I wanna believe this guy is for real, but it is just too much.

But, hey, he did find the first ever 1984-D doubled ear variety.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    You have mentioned a few times how good the $700 quarter set is, but your pictures start on page 4 of the Dansco album with the early 60's silver and then start of the clads....

This is your picture, near the top in second row is a 1961-D and left of that are part of the reverses from the previous page. Just to the left of the 1961-D is the reverse of the 1951-D. The condition of the coin in the 1951_D spot is good / maybe Very Good....

The most money in a full Dansco 1932- Washington quarter album is the first page, then second, then third, then 4th.

I do not see anything showing me the coins in your $700 album are better than any of the linked eBay albums....

I suspect there are very few pawn shops that would be disappointed with you taking away their business with the accumulation of mint sets you purchased.

Thats true and as I mentioned earlier. At the time I took the pics I had no idea I was going to be looking at quarters and didn't know to take pics of the 32 etc. I thought he was bringing dollars but I would have been in the same boat anyway. As I found out here there are no short answers.
    I am hoping to look at them again this week and if I can I will get pics of all pages and post here for advice. In the event, he still has them, I still like them and wish to take at that moment (impulse). At what grade point in the 32 d is your cut off? Or if it falls below said grade do I still offer a price?

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2018 3:10PM

TO OP.

You have got to be* *kidding**by the last statement are you or really expecting another reply on that one.

Post for more advice really LOl :(:(

It has been laid out for you in great detail so make your own decision.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Thanks. What is the BST? Ignorance is bliss

Buy Sell Trade - it's one of the boards here.

Thanks for answering him on BST. I thought it was the "Big Silly Troll" board !!

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Thanks for answering him on BST. I thought it was the "Big Silly Troll" board !!

It’s really Bull S??L S??T Troll, like op’s posts to this thread.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@davewesen said:

Thats true and as I mentioned earlier. At the time I took the pics I had no idea I was going to be looking at quarters and didn't know to take pics of the 32 etc. I thought he was bringing dollars but I would have been in the same boat anyway. As I found out here there are no short answers.
    I am hoping to look at them again this week and if I can I will get pics of all pages and post here for advice. In the event, he still has them, I still like them and wish to take at that moment (impulse). At what grade point in the 32 d is your cut off? Or if it falls below said grade do I still offer a price?

This is why one of my original comments to you was that it was impossible for you to make a "fair offer". You are going to be too high or too low. The 32-D and 32-S have value in any grade - IF THEY ARE REAL. But other coins on the first two pages can also have significant value based on grade. So, to properly value a set, you need to be able (I'll repeat myself) to 1. AUTHENTICATE 2. GRADE 3. DETERMINE MARKET VALUE.

Based on the silver dollars, you failed at all 3. You've got at least one obvious fake $, possibly 2. Most of them appear to be polished. And you paid way over market value. And that was a small number of coins.

A BU set of Washington Quarters is $4000+. A fairly well circulated set (early dates) with all genuine key dates and UNC late dates is more like $600 to $700. A circulated set with fake key dates is more like $350 to $400. There is no way to give you a price that is fair. We could give you the safe lowball price ($300), but then it is you trying to take advantage of the "nice man".

But, now I'm repeating myself for the 3rd time.

On the bright side, my post count is going through the roof!

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

It’s really Bull S??L S??T Troll, like op’s posts to this thread.

Your the troll kollector queen, why dont you put up or shut up. I never asked you for any of your bs.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@KollectorKing said:
    I love this thread

speaking of Gail at JJT, thanks for the memories

Now that what I was looking for.

ahem

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@KollectorKing said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@KollectorKing said:
    I love this thread

speaking of Gail at JJT, thanks for the memories

Now that what I was looking for.

there is hope for you....google jjteaparty & you’ll be there.

Cool website I will mark it.

Ahem

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Based on the pics at pcgs and what I remember seeing of the 1932 quarters, I'm guessing they would grade between 48 and 54.

I’m quoting the above for posterity :( .

:'(:/

Ahem

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The only thing worth grading in a 2002 proof set is something that is NOT cameo. LMAO

I'm glad your having fun with this, so what the heck is in the 2002?

Remember, I'm a professional. I can't be expected to give away any free advice. Especially since you won't buy my proof and mint sets for LESS than you paid the amateur, I have to make my money somewhere. :smiley:

what about the 68, 72, 79, 80, 81

Ahem :open_mouth:

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is more like a train wreck than a crash course. I was expecting a bit of VAM dialogue.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why was this OP given a Flag??

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Why was this OP given a Flag??

I do not know............but I have one and I think I've been pretty nice here :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do not know what the key dates/mintmarks of a series are, you should not be buying a complete set - unless you are doing it with entertainment cash.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@davewesen said:

The fact that you took many pictures of extremely common coins very few people want and you DID NOT EVEN KNOW to look for the 32DS etc.......just took a bunch of pictures of really low priced difficult to move material......told me all I needed to know.
    You have got to be pulling our legs.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    "Step into my parlor," said the spider to the fly.

Yep.
    The guy who coincidentally walked into pawn shop = great white shark.
    OP = wounded seal.

Likely the guy moving the coins is working with pawn shop employee, as several other posters have (I think) already said.

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The only thing worth grading in a 2002 proof set is something that is NOT cameo. LMAO

I'm glad your having fun with this, so what the heck is in the 2002?

Remember, I'm a professional. I can't be expected to give away any free advice. Especially since you won't buy my proof and mint sets for LESS than you paid the amateur, I have to make my money somewhere. :smiley:

what about the 68, 72, 79, 80, 81

Ahem :open_mouth:

Well stop calling me a troll. The conspiracy theories run rampant here!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf You are really spending an inordinate amount of time with this thread and poster. Are you a professional wrestler that enjoys the body slam? :/ Give it a rest?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes people write extensively for the benefit of a wider audience than the OP or active posters, we have many lurkers who read but haven't joined yet. Or for the challenge of articulating interesting thoughts.

At some point, all of this has been said countless times in the past, and will doubtless be covered in the future. Who knows, maybe coinscratch will help educate the next wave of newbies in 10 or 20 years.

If he's just having troll fun here, well played. Enjoyable for all.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Catbert said:
    @jmlanzaf You are really spending an inordinate amount of time with this thread and poster. Are you a professional wrestler that enjoys the body slam? :/ Give it a rest?

I'm not convinced this poster isn't worth a little time. He may just be stubborn and not trolling. People on here give up on people too quickly...sometimes based on their first post.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I'm not convinced this poster isn't worth a little time. He may just be stubborn and not trolling. People on here give up on people too quickly...sometimes based on their first post.

I agree. The sad part is, many gung-ho collectors buy and accumulate stuff for years before they try to grade or sell anything. What they thought were nice brought uncirculated coins end up being cleaned or whizzed XF/AUs and they spent multiples of coins worth buying them ... partly because they 'believed seller' and were getting a 'good deal'.

• Options

@Catbert said:

ditto

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@KollectorKing said:

@Catbert said:

ditto

Y'know, y'all are free just to ignore the thread. Instead, it popped back up because YOU commented on it. You, ironically, not me.

Okay, I kinda get it now. I'll try to be more quick and to the point in the future. So I guess I had it coming. Sorry for calling yall a bunch of losers and queens :). Nonetheless, I bought the quarters today anyway. Here it comes, Eeeeeeekkk.

• Options

I don't know why my pics don't come out in the order I loaded them. The 1967 looks pretty good.

• Options

Take the 1932-D & 1932-S out of the album. Then take some good pics of each coin both sides so they will look like these & post them.

• Options

I like the color on the 61, 63 and reverse of 66.

If you like set, then you did well.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2018 5:15PM

Early ones all look polished. If you paid $700, you paid too much, especially if either of the key dates are fake

• Options
    edited September 17, 2018 9:33AM

Dealer retail in the set would be around $550 if the 32D and S are good. If they aren't then $450.

I'll leave you with my previous thought. Learn to AUTHENTICATE. GRADE. VALUE.

Stop tryingto get lucky - you still haven't. Get smart. Otherwise you're goingto lose a ton of money to lady luck and drop the hobby in bitterness> @CoinscratchFever said:

@KollectorKing said:
    Take the 1932-D & 1932-S out of the album. Then take some good pics of each coin both sides so they will look like these & post them.

I will post those individual pics later tonight. And after comparing to other pcgs pics I'm guessing mine will be lucky to hit vg10. But the 67 and 82 look promising.

VG polished isn't VG.

The 67 and 82 would have to grade top pop to be with more than a couple bucks

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

I will post those individual pics later tonight. And after comparing to other pcgs pics I'm guessing mine will be lucky to hit vg10. But the 67 and 82 look promising.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

Do both the coins in the 1932-d and 1932-s holes have mintmarks on the reverse? Obverse and reverse photos of those two coins would be very helpful.

• Options

@tyler267 said:
    Do both the coins in the 1932-d and 1932-s holes have mintmarks on the reverse? Obverse and reverse photos of those two coins would be very helpful.

Yes, I will post them tonight after work, along with some close ups of the mint marks.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2018 11:29AM

A 1967 quarter in anything less than MS67 isn't worth the cost of submission.
    A 1982 quarter in anything less than MS67 isn't worth the cost of submission.

You've got a collection of polished silver coins. What are the odds that the 1967 and 1982 are the finest known for those two years? Time to start using the old hat rack.

The fact remains that all those crooked dealers you are worried about would have charged you well under $600 for that set. I've actually sold better sets than that for $500 or less. FULL RETAIL on the 1965 through 1998 coins is $150 or so. All that polished crap before that is worth $250 tops. At most those polished VG 1932-D/1932-S coins are worth $50 each. Add it up.

You have to be a troll. No one could be this naive, after all we've told you. You've lost hundreds of dollars on those dollars and now these quarters. And you are still trying to get lucky.

STOP BUYING COINS UNTIL YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POLISHED AND ORIGINAL SURFACES. Or at least only buy slabbed coins where someone else has done your work for you.

• Options

don't be so harsh jmlanzaf, you do not want to squeeze the sellers profit so much that 'the wifes dead grandpa' can not go to a dealer, buy stuff and churn his collection some more with the sellers other relatives' share.

I remember a seller on eBay that was selling dead ancestors stuff forever, in small yellow envelopes and older typewritten descriptions.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    don't be so harsh jmlanzaf, you do not want to squeeze the sellers profit so much that 'the wifes dead grandpa' can not go to a dealer, buy stuff and churn his collection some more with the sellers other relatives' share.

I remember a seller on eBay that was selling dead ancestors stuff forever, in small yellow envelopes and older typewritten descriptions.

It is ironic that the nice man in the pawn shop knows nothing about coins but always manages to find a retail+ price to charge this guy.

And how many polished coins is this guy going to buy before he takes a grading course?

I love newbies. The hobby needs newbies. But he's going to just burn himself out on crap, end up disillusioned and spend the rest of his life badmouthing the hobby. Well, unless he gets "lucky".

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

It is ironic that the nice man in the pawn shop knows nothing about coins but always manages to find a retail+ price to charge this guy.

Why? Anyone who doesn't know how to grade or anything can easily find retail+ prices. Consider the "alternative" prices for comparison on home shopping clubs.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2018 5:46PM

@daltex said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Why? Anyone who doesn't know how to grade or anything can easily find retail+ prices. Consider the "alternative" prices for comparison on home shopping clubs.

This completely misses the point. Go back and read the entire thread.

It was also sarcastic.

But, to the point, it is not so easy to come up with retail+ prices when you can't grade. People who truly don't know anything about coins either can't find comps or find the wrong comps. The guy selling these has been pretty much spot on at slightly above retail on everything. That is really hard to do unless you know something.

You think it is easy because you know something about coins. You should see some of the ridiculous comps people have brought to me when they actually are ignorant heirs. I've had people use MS-66 pricing for VF coins. I've had people looking at silver quarter prices for clad. I've had people do the opposite and actually take a brillo pad to coins to clean them up for sale.

If you don't believe me, go look at the silver $s that the OP paid $30 each for...and he's supposed to be a coin collector, not random ignorant heir.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. He had no trouble finding prices (to pay) far above retail. I think we are making the same point. It is hard to explain to someone that their lovingly collected statehood quarter set is actually worth below face value because the bank just won't accept it in the fancy packaging and someone has to unwrap it first.

• Options

What the hell are yall talking about :) Heres your 67 in a 67...

• Options

Pictures are kinda blurry and I have to post separately because they get all mixed up.

• Options

S

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options