Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

United States Mint Announces Plans to Issue American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set

WASHINGTON - United States Mint Deputy Director Richard A. Peterson today announced plans to issue a limited-edition five-coin set to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the popular American Eagle Coin Program. Peterson made the announcement at a coin forum held at the American Numismatic Association's World's Fair of Money® near Chicago.

The United States Mint American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set will include five one-ounce American Eagle Silver Coins:

* one proof coin from the United States Mint at West Point
* one uncirculated coin from the United States Mint at West Point
* one uncirculated coin from the United States Mint at San Francisco
* one reverse proof coin (frosted background with polished, mirror-like design elements/foreground) from the United States Mint at Philadelphia
* one bullion coin

All five coins will be mounted in one custom-designed, highly polished, lacquered hardwood presentation case accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity. The United States Mint plans to produce up to 100,000 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Sets with a household order limit of 5 sets in effect. The United States Mint expects to begin accepting orders in late October. A price has not been set. As with all products containing precious metals, pricing will be set as close as possible to the release date and is subject to change throughout the life of the program.

The United States Mint introduced the American Eagle Silver and Gold Programs in 1986. The obverse (heads side) design of the silver coins features a modern rendition of famed sculptor Adolph A. Weinman's Walking Liberty. The Walking Liberty design was originally prepared and executed for the circulating half-dollar in 1916. The reverse (tails) design, by former United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver John Mercanti, features the heraldic eagle with shield, an olive branch in the right talon and arrows in the left.

The United States Mint, created by Congress in 1792, is the Nation's sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage and is responsible for producing circulating coinage for the Nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The United States Mint also produces proof, uncirculated and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver, gold and platinum bullion coins.

Comments

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Gah you money grubbing jerks! All you care about is making extra cash!

I'm buying one. image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gah you money grubbing jerks! All you care about is making extra cash!

I'm buying one. image >>

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, but since they also minted PROOFs at Philly and SF during the run of this series, they should have added those as well and made it a 7 coin set.

I personally have always thought the SF PROOFs of the SAE series were the best looking coins the mint has ever released.

Each mint has produced coins with a different look to the frost, and SF had the most silky frost.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, an RP and burnished "S" with mintage of 100,000!!! Gotta have it. image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the one I heard the rumor about.

the 2 unc. will be mint marked S & W respectively
    the bullion won't

as mentioned it will be in a case with a lid.

it will be long and thin with all the coins in one row.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is the one I heard the rumor about.

the 2 unc. will be mint marked S & W respectively
    the bullion won't

as mentioned it will be in a case with a lid.

it will be long and thin with all the coins in one row. >>

Shucks I was hoping it would be a square case with 2 on top, proof in the middle, two on the bottom.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting, but since they also minted PROOFs at Philly and SF during the run of this series, they should have added those as well and made it a 7 coin set.

I personally have always thought the SF PROOFs of the SAE series were the best looking coins the mint has ever released.

Each mint has produced coins with a different look to the frost, and SF had the most silky frost. >>

I thought Philly made all the dies and shipped them out.

Is this wrong? A new practice? A stopped practice?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Wow, an amazing set and with 2 key coins! (2011-S Unc and Reverse Proof). Who will want an unmarked bullion San Fran now when they can get an S marked one? Love the reverse proofs too. I know I'm in for 5 and it will be a crazy rush. Easy sellout in hours, just hope price of silver doesn't run up too high until then.
  • Options
    Sorry for anyone holding the 2006-P RP...better sell quick, there will be a steep price drop.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder who will be the first to obtain 10,000 sets even though its 5 per customer?..............................image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in like Flint.....price? $350 - $400 range.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry for anyone holding the 2006-P RP...better sell quick, there will be a steep price drop. >>

I suspect the apposite....should invigorate the rev. proofs... waiting for the Palladium one to be issued to complete the set.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in like Flint.....price? $350 - $400 range. >>

I imagine they'll be pretty proud of their little presentation box...I'm gonna guess closer to $450 unless silver drops a lot, which is as unlikely as a quick turnaround in the world economy!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in like Flint.....price? $350 - $400 range. >>

Possible. I'm thinking $450-$500.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    I am in for 2 or 3 at $450 ea.

I wonder how many "sets" will be graded.

1 set = 5 coins shipping, grading fees, and first strike?

Maybe sealed mint boxes are the way to go?

• Options
    in for 1 or 2 hope that do something to the revers to distinguish between 20th and 25th.
  • Options
    what are the grading companies going to do for labels since they put 25th ann. on this years already (talking about bullion and proof included in this set)??
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see, what model of the past do we have to work from...hmmm....

100,000 mintage silver set, sound familair? I will be going in with the CC blazing.

I see dealers wanting all they can get.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>what are the grading companies going to do for labels since they put 25th ann. on this years already (talking about bullion and proof included in this set)?? >>

Easy, it's say 25th Anniv. Set
  • Options

<< <i>what are the grading companies going to do for labels since they put 25th ann. on this years already (talking about bullion and proof included in this set)?? >>

It loos as if PCGS put 25th Year of Issue but its in Gold coloring at the Top of a Flag Label.

I expect 25th Anniversary Set in black text for the coins descriptions:

The generaic non-set 20th Anniversary Slab Labels looked like this:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

<< <i>in for 1 or 2 hope that do something to the revers to distinguish between 20th and 25th. >>

probably only difference will be the date
  • Options

Additionally, since the Proof, Bullion, Bullion S coins and hopefully the Burnished W coins are available "outside" the set, PCGS and possibly NGC will ONLY grade Mint Sealed Shipping Boxes with the 25th Anniversary Set labels. Exactly the same as the 20th Anniversary Sets.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>in for 1 or 2 hope that do something to the revers to distinguish between 20th and 25th. >>

probably only difference will be the date >>

What else is needed?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Buy 5, open 1. Rest go to the back of the closet, marked "Do not open. Send sealed to PCGS." image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>

Additionally, since the Proof, Bullion, Bullion S coins and hopefully the Burnished W coins are available "outside" the set, PCGS and possibly NGC will ONLY grade Mint Sealed Shipping Boxes with the 25th Anniversary Set labels. Exactly the same as the 20th Anniversary Sets. >>

from what I understand, the bullion will be a no mint mark bullion.

the 2 uncirculated (burnished) ones will both bear a mint mark, S & W.

I don't know if the upcoming Unc. ASE single will have what mint mark or marks.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What else is needed? >>

if they only sell a W mint marked Unc. ASE single this year, the set could cannabalize sales from the singles as people try to obtain both the W & S mint marked Unc. ASE versions.

This will be interesting.

• Options

<< <i>

Additionally, since the Proof, Bullion, Bullion S coins and hopefully the Burnished W coins are available "outside" the set, PCGS and possibly NGC will ONLY grade Mint Sealed Shipping Boxes with the 25th Anniversary Set labels. Exactly the same as the 20th Anniversary Sets. >>

Please direct me to the Bullion S mint marked ASE's. The only ones I've seen, do not have a mint mark.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Thank you !!

Only 100 replies, I mostly read and learn and laugh.......image
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't know where they will be made, but I hope they aren't made at West Point.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I'll buy one, or two, or . . .
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Late October. Ack. Hope they don't Fedex them the day before a holiday again.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry for anyone holding the 2006-P RP...better sell quick, there will be a steep price drop. >>

I suspect the apposite....should invigorate the rev. proofs... waiting for the Palladium one to be issued to complete the set. >>

I'm with OPA on this as I think it will boost the 2006 reverse proofs a bit.

2 additional things:

* Can't wait to see the normal set of forum members that come out and say "I used 10 identities to get 50+ of them"....not even having their friends/families do it but doing it all themselves

* PCGS will be swamped with unopened boxes again (since some of these have been released already and won't qualify for set label/1st strike set label, otherwise).

And, like others, I think it will be in the $450-$500 range image (I miss the "Wow! I paid $100 for 3 oz of silver in a pretty box" days......)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Is it better to place a single order for five sets, or place five separate orders for one set so you have five sealed packages? Just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before this all goes down.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>

I suspect the opposite....should invigorate the rev. proofs... waiting for the Palladium one to be issued to complete the set. >>

The palladium one won't be one it will be a series: the APdE series

That is only if the marketing study finds it feasible.

If the marketing study says "no go," then Not Even A Single 1 Year Only Coin would be made.

I think a 1 year only coin in Pd might sell if they used a strong design on it, however Congress would have to approve it as a 1 year only thing. (although I wonder if one could be minted under the Mint's numismatic authority. ??? I don't know.)

PS: considering no other country has a palladium coin series going now, I doubt it will make it past the marketing study.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking also $450-$550, silver will probably over $50 and ounce by release date.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, JohnT!image

This should be a nice set, but it appears that we are right back on that slippery slope of too many issues and too many varieties, issued as instant rarities at unconscionable premiums.

I'll probably buy my limit of 5.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, I wonder if they will do a gold set......last one was 3oz for $2400...imagine if they did on this time......ouch!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Now, I wonder if they will do a gold set......last one was 3oz for $2400...imagine if they did on this time......ouch! >>

I don't even want to imagine that cause I would have to get one, or two, or . . . .
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine this will be a very beautiful set. If silver spot is at $45 it sure would be nice if they keep the cost down to $300 but that surely wont happen. Greedy folks will likely price it $400+. Ugh! I'm not into the modern stuff but this should be a really nice set!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>I imagine this will be a very beautiful set. If silver spot is at $45 it sure would be nice if they keep the cost down to $300 but that surely wont happen. Greedy folks will likely price it $400+. Ugh! I'm not into the modern stuff but this should be a really nice set! >>

They (the Fed's) do have to get some more money to spend somehow. Look at the price of the pucks and what was the price of silver then??????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What else is needed? >>

anything...make it unique
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Count me in, too... I think I'll pick up more than one... and I agree it oughta be a 7-coin set as well... but THAT not likely to happen...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any word on limits per house hold?
    I'm in for as many as I can afford, need a job first image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    My keeper set will be free after I flip the other 4 image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    No choice but to buy a set to keep my ASE collection 100% complete.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    I'm in....no brainer. Sweet set.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i> The United States Mint plans to produce up to 100,000 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Sets >>

Notta. Had this been 10-30K, sure. These mintages mean Coin Vault special! Sure wish they would have made some lower mintage gold and silver set. oh well I guess... --aap
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> The United States Mint plans to produce up to 100,000 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Sets >>

Notta. Had this been 10-30K, sure. These mintages mean Coin Vault special! Sure wish they would have made some lower mintage gold and silver set. oh well I guess... --aap >>

Am I correct in my assertion that this set will be the only place to get the 2011 reverse proof ASE (and the SF ASE if it contains the 's' mark)?

A mintage of 100,000 is looooow for an ASE!

A 10-30k run would put the coin/s at sub 1995-w levels...

Bottom line: we likely have two low mintage ASEs coming out of this set. Mintages are relative and 100,000 is low for the ASE series. They made 250,000 of the 20th anniversary sets in 2006.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file