Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

old 2/26/09 ~ BBCE 1986 Fleer basketball - Group Break- Video posted - Ripping has started - 4 Jorda

History of the Box
Box came from a investor who bought items in the year of issue and hoarded them away. The 86/87 Fleer boxes I bought from him still had a price sheet with them that said 60 cents per pack, $18.00 per box. The 79/80 hockey he paid a little more $100 a box!!! Those now go for $2500.00! He did real well on those 2 items. We spent over $150,000 with him in the last 6 weeks. Everything is pristine and fresh. Unfortunately, the investor did all his homework and was not easy on the figures. I paid him stronger than my listed buy prices to to get this clean stuff.

1986/87 Fleer boxes should have 3 of every sticker and 3 extra stickers. Fleer did this on purpose so that any who bought a box got exactly 3 sticker sets and 3 extra stickers. If this pattern does not match up and there are only 2 of any sticker showing (or 5 of any sticker) then the box has been put together and is not an original factory fresh box from Fleer. Also, you will notice some patterns in the cards themselves from viewing the top card. As much as someone may view this a me "looking" through the packs, it's the only way to verify that the box is an intact 36 piece box that Fleer intended it to be. If I wasn't to look at the patterns whenever I got these in, I would have some real pissed off customers from all the crap boxes that I send back!

1986 Box

Eack Pack will be $277.77 + Shipping. OK, so who else wants in?
1. Leathtech - Bird Sticker
2. Leathtech - Sending to PSA to be Graded
3. flatfoot816 - PAID
4. flatfoot816 - PAID
5. fergie23 - Olajuwon Rookie
6. fergie23 - PAID
7. thunderdan - PAID
8. miklia- PAID
9. miconelegacy - PAID
10. miconelegacy - PAID
11. philipjgolden - PAID
12. TurbosHockey - Clyde Drexler / Joe Dumars / Jordan Sticker
13. TurbosHockey - Charles Barkley
14. ldferg - james worthy / Joe Dumars / Clyde Drexler
15. JeremyDie1 - PAID
16. miklia- PAID
17. Gonblott - Jordan Sticker
18. Gonblott - PAID
19. skilow- Wilkins
20. bmcollection - Olajuwon Rookie
21. bmcollection - I Thomas Rookie
22. bmcollection - I Thomas Sticker
23. ssdawg77 - Jordan
24. jmoran19 - Sending to PSA to be Graded
25. NCwrestler - PAID
26. Trev - Jordan
27. Trev - Bird
28. Leathtech - Jordan
29. 1980scollector - Magic Johnson Sticker
30. fergie23 - PAID
31. bmcollection - PAID
32. philipjgolden - Jordan
33. Sold - Carl Malone
34. Sold - Carl Malone
35. Sold - Sending to PSA to be Graded
36. Sold - Sending to PSA to be Graded

Shipping info
$7.00 for 1 pack
$9.00 for 2 packs
$11.00 for 3 packs
$13.00 for 4 packs

Will go UPS and the prices are not due to weight, but insurance.

Once we are full I will email BBCE a list of the participants, and then payments can start to be sent to BBCE at their paypal address which is BBCExchange@sprintmail.com, or you can use a credit card, directly without using Paypal by calling BBCE at 800-598-8656 and ask for Rick. Make sure to include "1986 Fleer basketball rip" and your CU user name in your payment/message.
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    At $302.77 per pack and a possible discount, it's hard to say. If our economy wasn't the way it is right now, easily. I may be interested in a couple packs with the usual 10% discount.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I might be talked into one. It's been years since I last ripped some of those bad boys.
  • Options
    I would be in for a pack or two
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Whats the best price we could get for a group rip??
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Going rate has come down to the $200 level for most graded packs (graded at 7-9), even those desiganted as "from a full box".

Doubt he will go that low.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I could be talked into a pack.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    good luck to you guys if you do it. I'll be sitting here watching the scans for free.
  • Options

<< <i>Going rate has come down to the $200 level for most graded packs (graded at 7-9), even those desiganted as "from a full box".

Doubt he will go that low. >>

What have PSA packs been seeling for... I see lot of GAI packs on ebay - not sure if I trust them.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Going rate has come down to the $200 level for most graded packs (graded at 7-9), even those desiganted as "from a full box".

Doubt he will go that low. >>

Bob ... as you probably know, there is a sequence to those packs that a lot of people know. So even if there are packs labeled "from a full box", if you can see one of the cards thru the pack you would know if there was a good chance at a Jordan. If there was, I'm sure those are the pack(s) that the person who had them graded would keep and they would sell the others. So it MIGHT be worth paying the extra money IF you are buying from someone you trust. JMO.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Since there seems to be a little bit of interest I've sent an e-mail off to Steve @ BBCE to see what the price would be per pack.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Sure, I trust Steve. More than I trust anyone else out there. But I'm going out on a limb and guessing the box he has for sale is not from a full case he opened himself.

If it is, no worries at all and the packs should go for a premium.

But, I imagine it was bought by him as a loose box. I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess he looked at all the packs carefully before he bought the box, but ONLY to make sure they were legit. I highly doubt he can tell if the box was put together by someone who "sequenced" several boxes and pulled the good packs and put lots of 36 "bad" packs back in the boxes. I may be totally off here, but there is no way (unless steve opened the case) that he can guarantee these packs are any different from the ones you take your chances with in GAI holders (as far as sequence searching goes) .

Edit - guess I should have looked at his site first. it says box matches up with Fleer coalation. Guess that's what I was talking about. Looks like he did check to make sure it was a "legit" box afterall.

I'm sorry.
  • Options
    here is the message from Steve...

I would do $10,000 on the box plus shipping. So, it would be $277.77 per pack plus exact shipping.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    His site says this:

"1986/87 Fleer Basketball Unopened Wax Box. Box is 100% authentic and unopened. Box matches up with correct Fleer collation on stickers/packs etc. 36 unopened wax packs. The king of unopened boxes!!"

So if the box matches up with Fleer collation, then there should be Jordans in it.
  • Options
    Group break info is now post... I realize this break will not be for everyone but if you are interested feel free to jump in.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Bob,

NO PROBLEM! Unfortunately I will not be participating, but I hope this box comes from a day the workers at Fleer were drunk and the print run was done incorrectly, resulting in ten times as many Jordans showing up in this box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    How many Jordans typically show up in one box?
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Damn! I've always wanted to rip one of these pack... just don't have the scratch at this time.

I'll have to watch ANOTHER rip from sidelines! I'm jealous, good luck all!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    If it is like any other fleer set then you can expect to get anywhere between 2-4 plus 2-3 stickers.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Steve would bust a pack for us to look at the centering.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I'll take 2

Manny
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Who was it that just pulled a Jordan? Boy, that makes me want to jump in for a few packs. Must see ohow ebay auctions due Monday night.

shameless plug
  • Options
    Think he would do 4 packs @$1000.00??image
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure, I trust Steve. More than I trust anyone else out there. But I'm going out on a limb and guessing the box he has for sale is not from a full case he opened himself.

But, I imagine it was bought by him as a loose box. I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess he looked at all the packs carefully before he bought the box, but ONLY to make sure they were legit. I highly doubt he can tell if the box was put together by someone who "sequenced" several boxes and pulled the good packs and put lots of 36 "bad" packs back in the boxes. I may be totally off here, but there is no way (unless steve opened the case) that he can guarantee these packs are any different from the ones you take your chances with in GAI holders (as far as sequence searching goes) .

Edit - guess I should have looked at his site first. it says box matches up with Fleer coalation. Guess that's what I was talking about. Looks like he did check to make sure it was a "legit" box afterall.

I'm sorry. >>

Does this mean he opened the case himself? Does it guarantee that the packs have not been rearranged from other fleer boxes? I'm interested, and would pay what appears to be a premium given Steve's impeccable reputation, but wanted to understand what "box matches up with Fleer coalation actually means."

• Options

<< <i>Think he would do 4 packs @$1000.00??image >>

Feel free to e-mail him and ask... bbcexchange@sprintmail.com - we are already getting $900 off so I won't think so but it never hurts to ask.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sure, I trust Steve. More than I trust anyone else out there. But I'm going out on a limb and guessing the box he has for sale is not from a full case he opened himself.

I'm sorry. >>

Does this mean he opened the case himself? Does it guarantee that the packs have not been rearranged from other fleer boxes? I'm interested, and would pay what appears to be a premium given Steve's impeccable reputation, but wanted to understand what "box matches up with Fleer coalation actually means." >>

Thunderdan - I will fire an e-mail off and see if he can give us more information.
  • Options
    Thanks, Bob.

Dan.

• Options
    Jason,
    Wow, I have always said to myself that if a box of these were ever done on these boards, that I would have to be in for 2 packs.
    Always said!!!!!.
    And then you come up with this today, not week before last, not 3 weeks from now, but today!!!!

Yesterday I spent over a Thousand on E-bay, tonight I am still in the running for about 5K at Mastro, so the timing couldn't be worse. I mean worse than worse!!!!
    This sucks I have to pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageimageimageimage

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    I will do two packs. I will be surprised if you get enough folks to sell all 36 though. The payoff isn't really there for opening and grading with 86 Fleer anymore (says the guy that has bought 14 packs in the last 6 months).

Robb
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    btw 1000 for 4 pack would be 9k a box!
  • Options
    I think I have sat out one group rip in the last year. This will make two. Will be fun to watch but I think there are many here (myself included) that can not even afford to split a pack with someone right now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm sorry. >>

Does this mean he opened the case himself? Does it guarantee that the packs have not been rearranged from other fleer boxes? I'm interested, and would pay what appears to be a premium given Steve's impeccable reputation, but wanted to understand what "box matches up with Fleer coalation actually means." >>

Thunderdan - I will fire an e-mail off and see if he can give us more information. >>

Here is Steve's Response:

Box came from a investor who bought items in the year of issue and hoarded them away. The 86/87 Fleer boxes I bought from him still had a price sheet with them that said 60 cents per pack, $18.00 per box. The 79/80 hockey he paid a little more $100 a box!!! Those now go for $2500.00! He did real well on those 2 items. We spent over $150,000 with him in the last 6 weeks. Everything is pristine and fresh. Unfortunately, the investor did all his homework and was not easy on the figures.

1986/87 Fleer boxes should have 3 of every sticker and 3 extra stickers. Fleer did this on purpose so that any who bought a box got exactly 3 sticker sets and 3 extra stickers. If this pattern does not match up and there are only 2 of any sticker showing (or 5 of any sticker) then the box has been put together and is not an original factory fresh box from Fleer. Also, you will notice some patterns in the cards themselves from viewing the top card. As much as someone may view this a me "looking" through the packs, it's the only way to verify that the box is an intact 36 piece box that Fleer intended it to be. If I wasn't to look at the patterns whenever I got these in, I would have some real pissed off customers from all the crap boxes that I send back!
  • Options
    Sign me up for one.

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    in the interest of group break brotherhood, i'll take one too.
  • Options

<< <i>If it is like any other fleer set then you can expect to get anywhere between 2-4 plus 2-3 stickers. >>

According to Steve every box should have 3 Jordan Stickers with a possibility of a 4th!

Steve has confirmed there are at least 3 Jordan Stickers in this box.
  • Options
    sign me up for two as well. I have a couple of questions.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    I will take two. Thanks..
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>sign me up for two as well. I have a couple of questions. >>

You are down for 2 please ask any questions of feel free to PM me!
  • Options
  • Options
    i guess is a pretty good indication of what is at stake if you're ridiculously lucky (seriously! what are the odds out of a several hundred card set?)llink
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I have my sights on a special signed rookie this weekend, but if that doesn't work out, I will be in for a pack or two. Don't hold a spot for me yet, and I'll let you know on Monday for sure if there is any spots available then.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    okay, i'll go for one.
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options

<< <i>okay, i'll go for one. >>

sweet, you in!
  • Options
    I am on the fence though should have my decision made tonight. I would be doing this for the Jordan Rookie but for the price of 2 packs I can probably score something close to a PSA 8. Gem Mint commons are also attractive.

I am also thinking about throwing the same money into the stock market, as there are some incredible bargins right now.

The dilemma!!!
  • Options
    so my question is , does steve directly ship however many packs each person orders ?? thanks
  • Options

<< <i>so my question is , does steve directly ship however many packs each person orders ?? thanks >>

yes, Steve will take care of everything and ship out how ever many packs you buy.
  • Options
    last few PSA 8 Jordan's
    Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8 - Average Price: $576.95

Date Auction Link Price Extra
    2/22/09 eBay Auction $600.00
    2/22/09 eBay Auction $578.00
    2/21/09 eBay Auction $501.89
    2/21/09 eBay Auction $486.50
    2/19/09 eBay Auction $698.88
    2/18/09 eBay Auction $535.02
    2/18/09 eBay Listing $550.00
    2/18/09 eBay Listing $615.00
    2/15/09 eBay Auction $645.67
    2/11/09 eBay Listing $590.00
    2/8/09 eBay Listing $585.00
    2/3/09 eBay Auction $519.99
    2/1/09 eBay Listing $560.00
    1/31/09 eBay Auction $455.86
    1/30/09 eBay Auction $600.00

PSA 8.5
    Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8.5 - Average Price: $754.97

Date Auction Link Price Extra
    2/22/09 eBay Auction $660.00
    1/30/09 eBay Auction $613.00
    1/15/09 eBay Auction $705.77
    12/9/08 eBay Listing $821.00
    11/5/08 eBay Listing $850.00
    9/25/08 eBay Listing $780.00
    6/22/08 eBay $698.00
    5/19/08 eBay $998.00
    4/26/08 eBay $760.00
    4/6/08 eBay $765.00

PSA 9
    2/23/09 eBay Auction $970.01
    2/22/09 eBay Auction $999.99
    2/22/09 eBay Auction $1,555.55
    2/19/09 eBay Auction $922.00
    2/16/09 eBay Auction $875.00
    2/16/09 eBay Listing $925.00
    1/30/09 eBay Listing $900.00
    1/28/09 SCP Auctions Auction $1,739.00
    1/25/09 eBay Auction $1,000.00
    1/19/09 eBay Listing $1,350.00
    1/19/09 eBay Auction $1,210.89
    1/18/09 eBay Auction $974.99
    1/12/09 eBay Auction $1,075.00
    1/11/09 eBay Auction $960.00
    1/11/09 eBay Auction $899.00
    1/7/09 eBay Listing $1,035.00
    1/4/09 eBay Auction $1,005.00
    1/4/09 eBay Listing $1,025.00
    1/4/09 eBay Auction $1,266.56
  • Options
    This is a tough one, so the complete box HAS to be sold out for Steve to start shipping? I'm not a fan of the PSA 8 prices, and with the main issue probably being centering, I'd like to know the answer to my first question. Decisions, decisions....Oh, and the set is just under 150 cards with the stickers....
  • Options
    I will take 2 please.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    hey guys.,

Its my first post here., but Im here to stay !

I love what you guys do here.

I was just wondering how PSA knows packs are un-searched when they grade.. ?

Doesn't it sound misleading to grade something that is searched ?

Just wondering ?

I am def interested in this break...

I love the group effort !

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options

<< <i>This is a tough one, so the complete box HAS to be sold out for Steve to start shipping? I'm not a fan of the PSA 8 prices, and with the main issue probably being centering, I'd like to know the answer to my first question. Decisions, decisions....Oh, and the set is just under 150 cards with the stickers.... >>

Yes the whole box muxt sell out before anything gets shipped!

My plan is to buy 2 packs, open 1 and send 1 in to be graded for my graded pack collection... but if the centering is dead on I might have to open both.