Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2011 W AGE Unc on backorder now! UPDATE: 1/17 SOLD OUT!!! 1/24: 8,822 sold

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2 each of the 2011-Ws on 2 different occasions this year, but I couldn't pull the trigger again in those final days. Congrats to those of you who did!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Would you guys please stop complaining about only making a killing instead of a fortune with your '08 purchases image

LOL I'm only kidding of course... >>

Of course, it goes both ways.

Let's just say that my '06 W plats are not worth quite what I paid for them... >>

Want a good deal on some beanie baby bears?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>I did same thing on and split between buffs and plats( maxed out credit cards the rest of the way with platinum). The plats were a fun frenzy the way they all sold out in almost one day. One minute one denomination was there and next it was gone. The 08 plats are not as good as Buffs now but they are a very nice modern rare beautiful coin. I really like the platinum as it was what got me started in modern coins in 2005. I was looking for an anniversary ring for the wife and came across a $100 platinum coin. I was like man that little ring is $2000 and that big nice $100 coin is only $1150. I bought both and been a happy coin collector ever since. >>

Neat story... I actually found my way into this world in 2007 after hearing about one of my wife's kooky coworkers who admitted to her he hoarded guns and gold (he didn't state it exactly like that of course image). Shortly after hearing about him I opened a package for a coworker accidentally that had a dozen or so mercury dimes. That got me thinking so I checked eVilBay to see what they were worth, and the rest is history image...

<< <i>I really LOVE the changing reverse plats. I don't know why they don't have more of a following. >>

I'm a fan as well. I picked up an extra '06W $50 at the FUN show, but I still need the '06W $10 coin to complete my burnished fractional set. I know I could easily buy it online right now, but I've built the set thus far by paying only a modest premium to melt for each coin so I'm hoping I'll find one at a show this year on the cheap image. If I had deep pockets I would certainly be buying more of them as I believe people holding these in 30 or 40 years will be quite pleased they have them.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok I just checked and I have one of these in OGP not slabbed. It is worth more than melt? >>

Not if you go to my B&M!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Would you guys please stop complaining about only making a killing instead of a fortune with your '08 purchases image

LOL I'm only kidding of course... >>

Of course, it goes both ways.

Let's just say that my '06 W plats are not worth quite what I paid for them... >>

Want a good deal on some beanie baby bears? >>

Exactly!!

Funny that you mention that example. One of my partners paid literally THOUSANDS for one of the Beanie Babies - I think it was called the "Billionaire Bear" or something like that. I told him that he was NUTS. I'll take the plats over the bear :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I did same thing on and split between buffs and plats( maxed out credit cards the rest of the way with platinum). The plats were a fun frenzy the way they all sold out in almost one day. One minute one denomination was there and next it was gone. The 08 plats are not as good as Buffs now but they are a very nice modern rare beautiful coin. I really like the platinum as it was what got me started in modern coins in 2005. I was looking for an anniversary ring for the wife and came across a $100 platinum coin. I was like man that little ring is $2000 and that big nice $100 coin is only $1150. I bought both and been a happy coin collector ever since. >>

Neat story... I actually found my way into this world in 2007 after hearing about one of my wife's kooky coworkers who admitted to her he hoarded guns and gold (he didn't state it exactly like that of course image). Shortly after hearing about him I opened a package for a coworker accidentally that had a dozen or so mercury dimes. That got me thinking so I checked eVilBay to see what they were worth, and the rest is history image...

<< <i>I really LOVE the changing reverse plats. I don't know why they don't have more of a following. >>

I'm a fan as well. I picked up an extra '06W $50 at the FUN show, but I still need the '06W $10 coin to complete my burnished fractional set. I know I could easily buy it online right now, but I've built the set thus far by paying only a modest premium to melt for each coin so I'm hoping I'll find one at a show this year on the cheap image. If I had deep pockets I would certainly be buying more of them as I believe people holding these in 30 or 40 years will be quite pleased they have them. >>

I am conflicted as to what to do with mine.

I have a complete set of '06 W PCGS MS70FS which I'd loose several grand on now if I sold them + two PCGS MS70 10th anniv label $50s. One of them is the plat low mintage King for it's denomination. I forget which off hand, but one of them came in with lower mintages than the '08 W plat uncs.

I put the set on the BST at NGC 70 prices to see if there are any bites. In the end, the losses can be applied against the 25th anniv. set gains.
  • Options
    Aftermarket prices appear to be holding up. don't think we'll get those mint backorders on this one.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    We'll see how they hold up after several years, not several hours and days. The 1999 silver proof set was $400 at it's peak and now is only around $100. I know it's mintage is much higher, but so was the intial price.
  • Options
    This may be THE time to sell. My two are stuck in "spot review" - killing me!
  • Options
    I'm gonna take my chances and wait for final sales numbers.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>I am conflicted as to what to do with mine.
    I have a complete set of '06 W PCGS MS70FS which I'd loose several grand on now if I sold them + two PCGS MS70 10th anniv label $50s. One of them is the plat low mintage King for it's denomination. I forget which off hand, but one of them came in with lower mintages than the '08 W plat uncs.
    I put the set on the BST at NGC 70 prices to see if there are any bites. In the end, the losses can be applied against the 25th anniv. set gains. >>

I saw your set on the BST the other day. If your set were 69s I would have already sent a PM, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to pay super premiums for the Cadillac label (pcgs FS70). Good luck with the sale though...

As for the action on this coin, it will be interesting to watch over the coming weeks. The coin hasn't been sold out officially for even a week yet so IMO there are a lot of collectors/dealers who still don't know about it. I was at a coin show this past Sunday and upon asking a dealer about his proof MoH $5 gold commen he replied that he had just read in a magazine that morning that the Moh and Army coins had a significant chance at being special. The point is that there are definitely a number of folks who will want the 'key' AGE, but they don't know there's potentially a new key to pursue. The question in my mind is simply, how many people are going to care? Will it be enough to push this coin further than where it already is? Obviously no one knows, but hopefully this coin behaves more like the 1oz '08 proof Buff than the 1oz burnished AGE image.

• Options
    My cancel box is gone. 2 units reserved, 1 unit backordered. image
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I was cautious about this coin only because the 2006-2008 were also low mintage keys to the series with no real dramatic price increases in these coins. I will be watching this coin, but will not chase it. I do not own the coin, though did purchase one and returned it from the mint. If they offer the 2012, I will also watch it closely. If something dramatically happens to the 2011 W, I am sure all eyes will be on the 2012 issue.
  • Options
    When i ordered on Jan 13, it was 2 weeks later for an Expected Ship date.

Within a day or so, it went to 15 days later for expected ship.

Same for today, 1/24. Expected Ship = 2/8 (cancel button still exists)
  • Options

<< <i>My cancel box is gone. 2 units reserved, 1 unit backordered. image >>

When did you order?
  • Options
    I ordered 1 on 1-13-12 at 10:31 AM. what do you think my chances are of receiving it?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My cancel box is gone. 2 units reserved, 1 unit backordered. image >>

When did you order? >>

1/12. 4:42pm PST
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    Oh, title was updated. Sneaky OP. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, title was updated. Sneaky OP. image >>

sales total also updated, increased by 12 over last week. Will be close (lowest mintage is 08 W $10 unc. at 8,883) if they are still filling orders.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

sales total also updated, increased by 12 over last week. Will be close (lowest mintage is 08 W $10 unc. at 8,883) if they are still filling orders. >>

I doubt they are still filling orders. Generally from here numbers start going down as the do their accounting. --jerry
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the sales numbers of the '08s prior to the final numbers? I think it was over 9000.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

sales total also updated, increased by 12 over last week. Will be close (lowest mintage is 08 W $10 unc. at 8,883) if they are still filling orders. >>

I doubt they are still filling orders. Generally from here numbers start going down as the do their accounting. --jerry >>

down is good

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have the sales numbers of the '08s prior to the final numbers? I think it was over 9000. >>

As singles, 9390.
  • Options
    looks like the lowest mintage in 104 yrs for a 1oz gold coin yes no ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone have the sales numbers of the '08s prior to the final numbers? I think it was over 9000. >>

As singles, 9390. >>

Sorry, I meant '08 W $10 totals.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As singles, 9390. >>

Sorry, I meant '08 W $10 totals. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I doubt they are still filling orders. Generally from here numbers start going down as the do their accounting. --jerry >>

This is correct.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, grasshopper, but this coin is in Never-Never Land by the Law of Eric - price exceeds 1500 pulling it into No Man's Land. Don't forget what happened to the 08 W plats and the ceiling that the 08w $10 is at.
    Frankly I would have bought it at 5k or less, but who really cares if it is King or Queen? Hopefully somebody....

Holding THIRTY! Yikes, you scare me. $50k could not be better spent elsewhere?
    Congrats on having that kind of cash though!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

As singles, 9390. >>

image >>

Thanks for that. So the sales were 9200 for the '08 W $10. That is over 300 more than the actual mintage. So if we can apply that same relationship then we could possibly see the 2011 W $50 near the 8500 range. Not sure that is a valid analysis but I suspect the chances are in favor of a reduction of some sort from the sales data.

• Options
    Has anybody received the apmex order on this coin? I got a shipping notice today and am wondering what to expect condition-wise.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on having that kind of cash though! >>

That kind of cash comes from earlier PM purchases and sales such as 2008 Ws and other winners. The next chunk of cash for the next winners will come from sale of these.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats on having that kind of cash though! >>

That kind of cash comes from earlier PM purchases and sales such as 2008 Ws and other winners. The next chunk of cash for the next winners will come from sale of these. >>

I have done the very same thing. When there is something hot, I might infuse a little of my own cash. For the most part, I do not sell good coins until something else comes along. Right now on my to sell list, I have the unc army coins, some 2011 AGe's and I am trying to time the sell of my 25h anniversary boxes. I have considered doing a bulk submission for those, but I hate to pay the shipping cost and I am not sure if I want to wait until the Baltimore show. I sold some of my platinum and buffalos to obtain the ones I am getting ready to sell.

I think the only looser short term for me was the Buchanan image I went all in on those and they turned out to be a dud...
  • Options

<< <i>I think the only looser short term for me was the Buchanan image I went all in on those and they turned out to be a dud... >>

I sold 3 extra Buch's a few weeks back for a $50 loss per coin as I wanted to buy a few other things with brighter future. I was wrong on the Buch's too, but initially I was planning on holding them for many years but the FUN show drained the bank account so a few things needed to go. Meh, although it stunk to lose a bit on those 2011 was still quite a gift from the US mint. If 2012 can even be half as nice I'll be thrilled image.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the only looser short term for me was the Buchanan image I went all in on those and they turned out to be a dud... >>

I sold 3 extra Buch's a few weeks back for a $50 loss per coin as I wanted to buy a few other things with brighter future. I was wrong on the Buch's too, but initially I was planning on holding them for many years but the FUN show drained the bank account so a few things needed to go. Meh, although it stunk to lose a bit on those 2011 was still quite a gift from the US mint. If 2012 can even be half as nice I'll be thrilled image. >>

I know exactly what you mean, I cannot get myself to sell them at a loss image I think when it is all sell and done I might be able to make a small profit. Just hope I do not have to wait years for that small profit to materialize.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

As singles, 9390. >>

image >>

Thanks for that. So the sales were 9200 for the '08 W $10. That is over 300 more than the actual mintage. So if we can apply that same relationship then we could possibly see the 2011 W $50 near the 8500 range. Not sure that is a valid analysis but I suspect the chances are in favor of a reduction of some sort from the sales data. >>

Yep, in looking at that chart the $10 gold had probably the mildest sales-to-mintage drop from any product on the table... look at the plats and PR gold eagles.
  • Options

<< <i>I know exactly what you mean, I cannot get myself to sell them at a loss image I think when it is all sell and done I might be able to make a small profit. Just hope I do not have to wait years for that small profit to materialize. >>

If you're in the financial position to sit on them with no worries at all, than by all means you should keep them. However if sitting on them stretches you in any way, or more importantly prevents you from buying extra of the next big thing, than it's better to sell even if a small loss is realized. I bought more 25th sets and singles during December and into this month as prices bottomed. In my mind it's a better play to have a stack of reverse proofs and S coins purchased from $170 - $240ea (ms67-69) than a single Buchanan. Only time will tell if I made the right decision shifting out of the extra Buch's and buying even more 25th coins and Medal of Honor coins, but I'm already up a bit and have a feeling I made the right move image...

I just wish I could afford to never sell anything LOL image
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The Mint is still filling orders, got mine filled this morning for the 1 ouncers.
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint is still filling orders, got mine filled this morning for the 1 ouncers. >>

Congrats!imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint is still filling orders, got mine filled this morning for the 1 ouncers. >>

What time and date u placed your order?
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    They must be working through 387489XX orders.
  • Options

<< <i>They must be working through 387489XX orders. >>

crap I am in the 38749xxx image
  • Options
    And I'm in the 3875xxx batch.
    Odds? Lol- as good as the Super Bowl going into overtime?
    This is so fun
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I know exactly what you mean, I cannot get myself to sell them at a loss image I think when it is all sell and done I might be able to make a small profit. Just hope I do not have to wait years for that small profit to materialize. >>

If you're in the financial position to sit on them with no worries at all, than by all means you should keep them. However if sitting on them stretches you in any way, or more importantly prevents you from buying extra of the next big thing, than it's better to sell even if a small loss is realized. I bought more 25th sets and singles during December and into this month as prices bottomed. In mind it's a better play to have a stack of reverse proofs and S coins purchased from $170 - $240ea (ms67-69) than a single Buchanan. Only time will tell if I made the right decision shifting out of the extra Buch's and buying even more 25th coins and Medal of Honor coins, but I'm already up a bit and have a feeling I made the right move image...

I just wish I could afford to never sell anything LOL image >>

Hoping the selling of the Buchanan was a bad move on your part image Although I only have two of them. I really need to get me some of those hot Lucretia's image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    Order placed 1/12 8:36p went to in stock and reserved this morning. Cancel box gone. 387486xx.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Hoping the selling of the Buchanan was a bad move on your part Although I only have two of them. I really need to get me some of those hot Lucretia's

I have 11 of them, raw and PCGS FS MS/PF 70. Bought for $780-804. So right now they increased about $500 in melt value alone. Right now, these Buchs are considered more of a bullion play,I am holding these long term. Hopefully, these will do better.
  • Options
    The Mint is still filling orders, got mine filled this morning for the 1 ouncers.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What did you fill an order for this morning?

Mark
  • Options
    I think it's essentially a guarantee that the liberty subseries will be a hit down the road. They really are gorgeous coins and while mintage #'s don't make them uber-rare, they certainly won't be considered common coins down the line. The MS Van Buren in particular is going to be a huge coin in the future IMO. I'm hoping the recent dip in spouses pulls the VB and Jackson down further as I would like to buy more of them if possible image.

What's not to love about these image?
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Very NICE!
  • Options
    They sure are purty!!!
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    200!
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file