Home U.S. Coin Forum

2011 W AGE Unc on backorder now! UPDATE: 1/17 SOLD OUT!!! 1/24: 8,822 sold

The last sales report shows the total sales of 2011 $50 AGE Unc is only 8,637.

(1) If it it go black, it could be the lowest AGE across all denomination.

(2) Of course, it could also be a false alarm and after the inventory is shipped to PBGS, it will go back to normal and be in stock for some more time.

For those who have not ordered, you can still try to order now and it could possibly be filled, and if there is new inventory, you could always cancel/return.

Of course, I am hoping for the first case to come true image
BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

Comments

• Looks like at the least we will have a king and queen.
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    The AGE MS 1 Oz coin has a 2 week est. shipping date on the USM website, but I can not see where the USM states that the coin is actually on "Backorder".....Comments.
    Specialized Investments

• << <i>The AGE MS 1 Oz coin has a 2 week est. shipping date on the USM website, but I can not see where the USM states that the coin is actually on "Backorder".....Comments. >>

This is my order:

Order #: 387xxxxx- 1 Order date: 1/12/12

Order Process Date: 1/12/12

Merchandise : 5634.00
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 5638.95

1. 2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ (1P3)
    Qty 3 @ $1878.00 - Backordered 01/27/12.
  • and on the Mint's product page for the 2011-W Unc, it says:

Product will be available for shipping 01/27/2012

But it still let's you order them.

Mark
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got my order for 10 more in on Wed., right before the backorder notice AND price increase. Arriving UPS tomorrow. Gives me a box of 30. image

<< <i>and on the Mint's product page for the 2011-W Unc, it says:

Product will be available for shipping 01/27/2012

But it still let's you order them. >>

I suspect any orders filled from here on may be with returns. They shouldn't be striking any more now that 2011 has ended. Don't count on me, I'll be keeping my purchase even if they are messed up with a mint error. image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• << <i>The AGE MS 1 Oz coin has a 2 week est. shipping date on the USM website, but I can not see where the USM states that the coin is actually on "Backorder".....Comments. >>

When you add any to your shopping cart, it says Backordered.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 500the sold last week. REALLY hoping it goes dark soon. 500 in one week :-( What's up with that??
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • WDHWDH Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    People probably ordered before the price increase on Wed. I ordered one on Tue. and it just arrived this morning.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with that?...is a whole bunch of people watching that mintage and hoping to catch a winner. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    Bought one a few months ago but sent it back.

• << <i>Over 500the sold last week. REALLY hoping it goes dark soon. 500 in one week :-( What's up with that?? >>

What are you talking about? They sold 77 last week... Perhaps you're thinking of the first or second week in December when they sold over 500 in a week?

<< <i>got my order for 10 more in on Wed., right before the backorder notice AND price increase. Arriving UPS tomorrow. Gives me a box of 30 >>

Unfortunately I don't have the pockets for that kind of play, but I bought Apmex's NGC70 last night for 2K and will buy two raw coins from them today as well. Hopefully at least one of the two raw coins will look nice, but from my experience with Apmex and raw coins it seems to be a crapshoot.

<< <i>Bought one a few months ago but sent it back. >>

If you don't have one I would buy a raw one now at Apmex just so you have it. Even if it looks like an NGC69 at best if it does turn out to be the king of the AGE series it will be worth having. No it's not going to double or triple overnight, but for only a 7% premium compared to a random date AGE this coin seems like it has almost no downside risk, and very appealing upside potential.

@revoldlog -- THANK YOU for the heads up. You Sir are a gentlemen and a scholar image
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    I am going to pass on this one. Just can't collect every PM key. I wonder what this year's mintage will be? I do have the 2008 W $10 AGE in PCGS MS70.

• << <i>I am going to pass on this one. Just can't collect every PM key. >>

That's nonsense imageimage! Buy one today and have a yard sale every weekend for a month if need be LOL!

<< <i>I wonder what this year's mintage will be? I do have the 2008 W $10 AGE in PCGS MS70. >>

Well last week they sold 77 coins bringing the total to 8,637. It looks like there's a decent chance this coin will come in under the '08W $10. I posted the following verbose dissertation on the coin in another forum, but I may as well share it here:

<snip> Here are the reasons why you guys should, and should not gamble on this coin:

Pros:
    1) As it stands, it looks like there's a very good chance this coin will be the new #1 all time lowest mintage American Gold Eagle!The current king is the 2008 W (burnished) quarter ounce $10 age w/ 8,883 made and it sells for $1400+ dollars! The mint sold 77 of these last week bringing the total to 8,637. Since they went to backorder yesterday it's quite likely they didn't sell 246 of these in the abbreviated week. (They've only sold more than 250 in a week once in the last few months IIRC.)
    2) This coin will most likely come in under '08 W (burnished) $50 Buffalo and be the lowest minted modern $50 gold coin.
    3) Even if somehow they fill another few hundred, or even another 1000 coins this coin will be under 10,000 & that's a psychological barrier for many so in my mind people will want these on some level even if they're only the 2nd lowest minted AGE. Current the second lowest minted AGE is the '07W $25 half ounce at it commands $1800 at this point! *In other words, you can buy an entire ounce of gold right now for what the current second key to the AGE series sells for.
    4) The mint will not strike more as it's 2012 so it all boils down to available inventory. (*I couldn't find anything in the legislation authorizing the eagles that states the coins have to be struck in the same year, but I'm almost certain they won't as they're cranking out 2012's currently and theoretically getting ready to offer a 2012 W 1oz coin.)
    5) You're only paying a 7% premium for this coin over a random 1oz AGE right now at Apmex. The premium is very small compared to the potential upside. Remember, the current key sells for triple its melt value and the second key to the AGE series sells for double its melt value. It's not a direct comparison as there are fewer 1oz collectors (significantly fewer), BUT it's clear this coin will sell for a premium if it's the new key.

Cons:
    1) If the mint suddenly finds a couple thousand of these (remember they're capable of any KraZy scenario it seems image) and continues to sell them for the next few months and the coin goes over 10,000 in mintage than it will only be worth only a modest premium. Currently the lowest 1oz AGE is the '08W at 11,908 and it sells for a very modest premium. Even if this coin sells through July I don't see it clearing 12,000, but the point is that the current 1oz AGE 'key' isn't really that special. This coin has to stay under 10,000 to retain a significant premium.
    2) If the coin ends up as the key, it's so close to the current key that when the mint issues their final revised numbers in a year the coin may no longer be the key. That's a total crapshot though as the numbers could be revised up, or down from what I've seen.
    3) It's a 1oz gold coin. There aren't that many 1oz gold coin collectors, so this coin needs to be special in order to appeal to the masses.
    4) At some point this coin could lose it's #1 status... If you're paying attention though, you'll be able to dump it well before that happens and even if it does it will still retain 7% premium over regular 1oz age's IMO.

[EDIT -- I would love to hear EricJ's or Wondercoin's opinion on this coin, or for that matter any modern dealer.]
  • I notice the raw one with OGP at APMEX is $42 cheaper (if paying by check) than buying one from the Mint. Of course, APMEX probably charges more for shipping and these might have already been deemed not worthy of grading. Do you go with the sure thing, or get a backordered one from the Mint? I don't see any NGC-70s on the APMEX site.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i> Do you go with the sure thing, or get a backordered one from the Mint? >>

Plenty of posters here got lucky with the MoH gold commens when they went to backorder, but I wouldn't count on 'luck'. Most shipped from the mint are flawed anyway so you may as well buy one from Apmex and hope you get a decent one.

<< <i>I don't see any NGC-70s on the APMEX site. >>

They had one last night...See my prior post image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in '08, I bought some of the 1 oz. "W"s and some of the 1/4 oz. "W"s, and I'm not unhappy with either of them. The 1/4 ozers have done well, and I paid $1,199.95/ea. for the 1 ozers - so even without a numismatic premium increase, the price of gold has brought them along to the dance.

This year, I already bought a few of the '11-W 1 ozers, and I considered selling some of the '08-Ws in order to raise capital for more of the '11'Ws. Then I thought, "why bother?" especially since I'd be generating unnecessary tax liabilities and also - the Mint may only be selling off the returns now. I've made that mistake before (with some Unc Buchs) and the "end of sale period" coins never seem to be very good, compared to the newly-distributed ones.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have this issue than not - especially since it looks like it might be the new AGE King. On the other hand, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't spring for a nice 1 oz. Proof Plat for less money with longterm money right now.

Just my 2 cents.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am confused...which AGE are we talking about, 2011 or 2011-W? burnished, proof, or uncirculated?

• << <i>i am confused...which AGE are we talking about, 2011 or 2011-W? burnished, proof, or uncirculated? >>

This one

<< <i>

<< <i>Over 500the sold last week. REALLY hoping it goes dark soon. 500 in one week :-( What's up with that?? >>

What are you talking about? They sold 77 last week... Perhaps you're thinking of the first or second week in December when they sold over 500 in a week?

<< <i>got my order for 10 more in on Wed., right before the backorder notice AND price increase. Arriving UPS tomorrow. Gives me a box of 30 >>

Unfortunately I don't have the pockets for that kind of play, but I bought Apmex's NGC70 last night for 2K and will buy two raw coins from them today as well. Hopefully at least one of the two raw coins will look nice, but from my experience with Apmex and raw coins it seems to be a crapshoot.

<< <i>Bought one a few months ago but sent it back. >>

If you don't have one I would buy a raw one now at Apmex just so you have it. Even if it looks like an NGC69 at best if it does turn out to be the king of the AGE series it will be worth having. No it's not going to double or triple overnight, but for only a 7% premium compared to a random date AGE this coin seems like it has almost no downside risk, and very appealing upside potential.

@revoldlog -- THANK YOU for the heads up. You Sir are a gentlemen and a scholar image >>

You must be right. I was going from memory. I remember checking the Mint Stats. in the issue of NN which arrived yesterday vs the previous issue, there were 500 sold. This must have been for the week that you were talking about.
    I bought two of these in PCGS MS70FS early on for $2150. I saw one MS70FS go for moon money a few months back and considered selling but didn't. As I've watched the sales rise I was starting to think that this was a very bad move. On pins and needles now watching how this pans out. Very suspenseful.

Also, THANKS for the great post ModernCoin - and, yes Eric and Wondercoin please chime in on these!!

Edited to add: The ones that I bought for $2150/each are PCGS MS70FS "25th Anniversary". I can't find the pops for these for some reason. Does anyone know the pops?
  • I just check the US Mint website. I could not see the item anymore!
    A glitch or it really sold out??
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just check the US Mint website. I could not see the item anymore!
    A glitch or it really sold out?? >>

If you look in the 'no longer available" section you will see it "sold out". That should become a pretty good hold.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

• << <i>

If you look in the 'no longer available" section you will see it "sold out". That should become a pretty good hold. >>

Thanks! I could never find such "secret" link without your help image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you look in the 'no longer available" section you will see it "sold out". That should become a pretty good hold. >>

Thanks! I could never find such "secret" link without your help image >>

No problem. Now you are an insider.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Rats. The one I ordered on the 12th still shows as backordered. That sell-out sure was fast!
    SCHWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

Hope this comes through!

"2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ 6 $1,878.00 $11,268.00 6 units backordered. Expected to ship on 02/01/2012. "

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• << <i>Hope this comes through!

"2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ 6 $1,878.00 $11,268.00 6 units backordered. Expected to ship on 02/01/2012. " >>

Even without these, you still have one of the biggest hoard image
    last week's sales figures (8,637) had them 246 less than the 2008 W $10 uncirc. This could become the lowest known mintage gold eagle to date.

<< <i>Hope this comes through!

"2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ 6 $1,878.00 $11,268.00 6 units backordered. Expected to ship on 02/01/2012. " >>

Good luck!!
  • Apmex still has some for 1855, check + shipping. Decided to order one with the low mintage assured on the sell out.
    I just noticed that someone on FeeBay sold TWO of these in OGP for $3100 for both just before Xmas. Can't belive that I missed them. What a deal!!

I never thought that I'd be grateful for spots.

Seeing these rapidly approaching the 2008 W $10 Unc numbers I went to the SDB to pull out the two PCGS MS70FS "25th Anniv." coins which I bought for $2150 each early on. I planned to sell one or both thinking that they'd overtake the '08. I noticed spots and had to send them in for spot review. Glad that this happened in retrospect of I'd have sold them and would REALLY be kicking myself now. Rembering back, the seller offered my three for $2100/each. Shoulda, coulda, woulda..
  • @Raufus PCGS MS70FS "25th Anniversary".

I think that was bulk label for dealers. I've graded one on my own and it came back regular MS70 FS.

I also bought one from ebay a while back from one of the members here and it had "25th Anniversary"

<< <i>@Raufus PCGS MS70FS "25th Anniversary".

I think that was bulk label for dealers. I've graded one on my own and it came back regular MS70 FS.

I also bought one from ebay a while back from one of the members here and it had "25th Anniversary" >>

I think that you're correct. Given that I could get a great price on the MS70FS with the "25th Anniv." I took that as I liked this label best.

I also sold my raw 2008 W $10 AGE Uncs. for $1400 and kept the my 70s just in case these got hit to hedge my bet.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I just noticed that someone on FeeBay sold TWO of these in OGP for $3100 for both just before Xmas. Can't belive that I missed them. What a deal!! >>

Maybe not a deal without the W? Looked like the old switcharoo...image
    Wow, didn't look that close. What a scam!!

Looks like the cheap 70s are being bought up fast on Ebay. Tempted to get some myself.

I did this with the '08 W Buff 70s and that worked out sooo well - not that these are the buffs to be sure, but $2200 70s will likely look very good in a few months.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    They need to bring back fractional gold again. While I'm happy to learn we may have a new gold eagle king I'm also disappointed that other collectors are left out of collecting "collectible" gold because of the high price.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

• << <i>Also, THANKS for the great post ModernCoin - and, yes Eric and Wondercoin please chime in on these!! >>

You're welcome.

HEADS UP FOLKS! Apmex had 23 of these in stock an hour ago, and now they only have 3. If you want one, ACT NOW image!

• << <i>

<< <i>Also, THANKS for the great post ModernCoin - and, yes Eric and Wondercoin please chime in on these!! >>

You're welcome.

HEADS UP FOLKS! Apmex had 23 of these in stock an hour ago, and now they only have 3. If you want one, ACT NOW image! >>

Now OUT OF STOCK at APMEX.
  • Just got 2 from APMEX, still 21 available as of 2 minutes ago

• << <i>Just got 2 from APMEX, still 21 available as of 2 minutes ago >>

I think they sold out a few minutes ago???
  • Actually I had to refresh my browser - was showing "21 available" but now all gone...........

• << <i>Still 21 available at APMEX >>

Looks sold out to me image
  • Close your browser and re-open the Apmex page. They are sold out now too. It's also interesting to note that they raised the prices of their sole pcgs 70 example an additional $200 image.

Wow, the well priced 70s on Ebay went fast!
  • The sales report should be out later today. The cut off should be 1/15/2012.
    What will be the number??? I think it might be slight over 8900.
    Of course, I hope it stays below 8883.
  • It looks like same person bought all the ones on ebay. I think they may do a little better and settle around $2500 but I don't think they will go much higher.
    What were the APMEX ones going for?

Edited: never mind, answered in an earlier post.

grabbed another NGC 70 off ebay at 2250 and three raw from Apmex before the sellout. Wired payment to move to the front of the shipping line image

• << <i>What were the APMEX ones going for? >>

The raw coins were priced at $1856 (plus or minus a few bucks as spot moves of course).

The fact these are soldout at any price below $2500 everywhere I know to look, bodes well for a a small price increase shortly image
    EDIT -- Looks like this one seller has a couple ngc69 coins for $2400. That's not leaving much room on the table IMO unless you think these are really going to go on a tear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file