Home U.S. Coin Forum

2011 W AGE Unc on backorder now! UPDATE: 1/17 SOLD OUT!!! 1/24: 8,822 sold

123457»

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow!

$4499 for a PCGS MS70FS!!!

Has this one maxed out or could it go higher still??

Eric has said that $5k is about the max or a modern. There have been few exceptions. This is impressive. It never ceases to amaze me what a FS label can bring.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>A couple? A couple dozen! image >>

Just incredible.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think WIDE distribution is a problem for this coin - or rather the lack of it, and the "who cares?" (except for the few on this column) attitude is going to be a longer term problem for this coin. Even though I personally like them, and the comparative 2008 w $10, I just don't see widespread interest. Even the so-called error 1999w coins seem to be in the doldrums (admittedly with a Damocles sword over their head with some people evidently holding quite a few.
    Again, not hating because I am an GAE fan or more precisely collector as I seem to have one of everything...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    7jag.-
    Well stated. I certainly understand your points.
    That is why I was all the more surprised to see the 70FS bring $4500, but it did.
    This can only be said for very few moderns.
    It will be interesting to ser if another goes this high.
    Itbis a very popular series. I am surprised that there is not more interest.
    R-
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    I did pick up one of these in OGP and plan to keep it that way. After scanning it there are no visible flaws at 100x. I would like to pick up another, and this may represent a viable market for these particular coins, i.e. owners of a unit who would like to own more than one. I believe there were several on the forum who purchased as many as ten just before the sell out. It will also be very interesting to see if the Mint releases the 2012 W AGE 1 Oz and its final mintage.
    Whether or not a 2012 W is issued will be key to at least the short term value of the '11. Obviously if there is none, the 11 will enjoy at least a year of key status. If a 12 is issued it may well put a damper on the 11 from the start, esp. If sales are very slow. The $4500 for the PCGS ms70fs is pretty impressive!
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The hole this coin sits in. If anyone is betting on a coin in this 1 ounce series it seems this is the one for now.

8822 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 2011 W
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    There's every reason to believe that this may be the winner we all expect. The economy is picking up steam and the Mint's workload was reduced by the changes in the Presidential Dollar Program. Since I collect, I am not overly concerned about the short term prospects.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like this one is finally making its price move.

Whether or not a 2012 W is issued will be key to at least the short term value of the '11. Obviously if there is none, the 11 will enjoy at least a year of key status. If a 12 is issued it may well put a damper on the 11 from the start, esp. If sales are very slow. The $4500 for the PCGS ms70fs is pretty impressive!

higher prices for the 2011 W will increase demand for any 2012 W as buyers that missed the boat on the 2011 W drive up sales on a possible 2012 W key. With prices of graded 2011 W's finally making their move I don't see a lower sales number should the 2012 W be sold.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still can't understand why PCGS can't update a population report for these. Both Coin Facts and the Population Report show no First Strikes for the 2011-W 1 oz. AGE.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$4499 for a PCGS MS70FS!!!

I still can't understand why PCGS can't update a population report for these. Both Coin Facts and the Population Report show no First Strikes for the 2011-W 1 oz. AGE. >>

Really? One needs to look more closely...try it with the coin # 505267...

505267 2011-W $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary First Strike MS+
    2(68) 75(69) 83(70) F/STotal 160 ........... More F/S (70's)than the 2011 Army or MOH $5
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Holy Cow!

Eric has said that $5k is about the max or a modern. There have been few exceptions. This is impressive. It never ceases to amaze me what a FS label can bring. >>

Keep in mind that the gold value and manufacturing costs makes up almost $1800 of that. I think any rule of thumb about what a coin can do market wise should consider the numismatic premium, not the full value so there is a apples to apples comparison.
    So I would think a one-oz coin may have a slightly higher range than a quarter-oz or silver coin.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • A good flip for someone. But I sure would not want to be on the buying end. I think any additional upside is nil.

A population of over 8,000 mint stat coins is not rare at $4,500.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely a trap at those high prices. I fell into them with the reverse proof gold with a similar mintage of 10K. That coin was unique also. Learned my lesson well.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I would say if your time horizon is short then, yes, it could be pricey. Of course, if later years come in with higher mintages then over a longer period of time the value could creep up to a much higher valuation. It all depends on what the future holds. If they announce a completion of the "W" series then I think you could see a leg up from here. Right now the non-FS coins seem to be going at much closer to generic gold eagle pricing. That might be a safer way to get this coin now if you think it has a future.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>

<< <i>Holy Cow!

Eric has said that $5k is about the max or a modern. There have been few exceptions. This is impressive. It never ceases to amaze me what a FS label can bring. >>

Keep in mind that the gold value and manufacturing costs makes up almost $1800 of that. I think any rule of thumb about what a coin can do market wise should consider the numismatic premium, not the full value so there is a apples to apples comparison.
    So I would think a one-oz coin may have a slightly higher range than a quarter-oz or silver coin. >>

I sold mine last week for $4K. I was thinking about holding out for a bit more given the above referenced auction but I liked my buyer.

Still have one PCGS MS70FS 25th anniv. which I'm holding.

<< <i>A good flip for someone. But I sure would not want to be on the buying end. I think any additional upside is nil.

A population of over 8,000 mint stat coins is not rare at $4,500. >>

It is when it's the low mintage KEY by a substantial margin for a very popular series.

The Pop of the PCGS MS70FS is 83. Only a fraction of those have the 25th anniv. label.

• << <i>A good flip for someone. But I sure would not want to be on the buying end. I think any additional upside is nil.

I think it is not fair to access the value of the 8,000 2011 W AGE using the First Strike price.

I think it will not be an good investment to buy ANY First Strike coin at twice the price of a raw coin.

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably safe to assume that all 8,822 were struck at one time. They are all first strike coins. image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>

<< <i>A good flip for someone. But I sure would not want to be on the buying end. I think any additional upside is nil.

I think it is not fair to access the value of the 8,000 2011 W AGE using the First Strike price.

I think it will not be an good investment to buy ANY First Strike coin at twice the price of a raw coin. >>

Something is worth what you can get for it. Despite that I think that the whole FS thing is pretty much non-sense, one pnly need look at the 08 buffs and some other key modern issues to see that the huge fs premium can and does hold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file