Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2011 W AGE Unc on backorder now! UPDATE: 1/17 SOLD OUT!!! 1/24: 8,822 sold

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derryb: That did not stop the hype of the 08-W Burnished $50 Gold Eagle. After all, up until this 11-W, for the past near 3 years, the $50 08-W MS was THE lowest mintage "business strike" $50 Gold Eagle in existence. And, second only the the Reverse proof, which back in 2008 sold for "big money". Very smart "players" were touting the 08-W Burnished Gold eagle ... make no mistake about that!

So, the jury is still out on the 11-W in my view. I think the odds are high that there will be a 12-W Burnished Gold Eagle on top of that.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"If they do half as well as the 30,125 mintage 1995 W ASE proof, there will be nice profits."

I've got a "boatload" of roughly "eleven thousand and change" mintage 08-W $50 MS gold burnished eagles ... they have not done "half as well" as that 30,125 mintage coin after 3 years? In fact, if I recall correctly, I read all over the boards 3 years ago how that MS $50 Gold Eagle was going to be a "killer" coin. I am still adding to my position ... I bought another one last week for about $15 over the cost of a generic bullion piece. My experience with these $50 08-W MS burnished Gold kind of supports Eric's view point ... no?

Wondercoin

P.S. Spot gold "bailed me out" of my mistake buying these "super low mintage" $50 08-W Burnished gold eagles. All the coins that I paid roughly $1,600 - $1,700/coin for when spot gold was $1,150 -$1,300/oz are now worth what I paid for them. I lost nothing really (other than my "lost opportunity cost") through my mistake on these as the gold spot bailed me out (so far). But, I waited and waited and waited for "demand" to show up to the $50 gold eagle party. Still waiting.... >>

I agree... the proof is in the puddin' and the '08-W and to lesser extent '07-W experience four years hence show the $50 series to be lifeless as far as collectors go. Of all the US mint gold to buy in late '08 it did the poorest. The fact that the RP languishes despite it being a low-mintage (& for the reasons I posted about a large number locked away in 3-coin set, a lower availability than the mintage chart alone would suggest) and a unique type coin leave me to believe the '11-W will not set anyone's hair on fire. Not bad for a simultaneous bullion play though, very low risk.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin, like this year's two $5 gold uncircs., will be good flip for those that bought them. They will peak when and if 2012 W uncircs. show up on the mint's schedule, and any future gains will be tied to spot price. My earlier discussion is based on this belief. If I led anyone to believe they were a long term climber, my apologies. I also believe that a 2012 W uncirc $50 will also see low sales based on high cost and possibly a repeat of the 2008 gold blank shortage (keep in mind that bullion AGEs take priority over collector coins, by law, and I expect there to be huge demand for them in 2012, especially lower priced fractionals).

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Sure hope I can find my 2011 W. Its a PCGS 70. Just can't put my hands on it yet. Well next stop the safe image. When I find that thing its going to be in big trouble and I'm sending it off to boarding school image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options

<< <i>>>>>The 20th anniversary gold has a mintage of 9,996. Now they are about $2500 after 5 years and they are the key to not only the proof gold $50 registry set and Red Book listings its also the key of THE COMPLETE REVERSE PROOF TYPE SET AND THERE ARE A FAIR NUMBER OF US THAT COLLECT REVERSE PROOFS.<<<<

Do not confuse "label" population with mintage. There were 9,996 2006 20th Anniversary Gold sets sold. It contained a $50 W proof and a $50 W uncirc. which each had a total mintage of 47,092 and 45,053 respectively. >>

@Derry -- Eric was specifically talking about the 2006 reverse proof gold eagle, which to my understanding does indeed have a mintage of 9996. Why are you talking about the regular proof and 'uncirculated' aka 1oz coins when he was specifically talking about the one ounce reverse proof? What am I missing here?

>>>>They're all apples if you collect AGEs

To be fair I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison. Granted I don't know that many people, but between the three boards I frequent, shows I attend, and shops I visit quite often I have yet to meet or hear of a 1oz date/mintmark AGE collector. I know a number of fractional collectors (like myself image), but I highly doubt there are more than a couple thousand people putting together complete 1oz AGE sets. IMO that fact alone is the biggest thing holding this coin back. Considering the sub 10,000 gorgeous reverse proof hasn't been very strong, and the premiums for the 1oz 2008W have been approaching melt, it becomes clear (to me anyway) why some like WC or Eric question just how far this coin can run from here. To date no one has really cared about 1oz AGEs, so who is to say people will suddenly care now that one is the top dog (assuming it is)? Personally I'm taking the bet and bought a couple for the stack as I'm not going to purposely pass up the potential #1 coin to a series that I collect. However I do wonder just how many will care. I won't lie though, I am quite chuffed after seeing Apmex blow through 23 coins in an hour and watching the eBay auctions disappear image.

Cheers to reveldog for sounding the alarm a few days ago and enabling me to nab a couple for less than they're already selling for on the 'bay.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Bottom line: The one ounce AGEs have always been the most popular. The 1/10 ounce are second most popular because of their affordability. The 1/4 and 1/2 ounce are the least popular in the series. Some will say that the 2008-W doesn't really count because it is "just a fractional". I think that is the gist of it. I'm not taking sides. Truthfully, I have more 2008-W $10 coins in inventory than I do have 2011-W's. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i><< >>>>The 20th anniversary gold has a mintage of 9,996. Now they are about $2500 after 5 years and they are the key to not only the proof gold $50 registry set and Red Book listings its also the key of THE COMPLETE REVERSE PROOF TYPE SET AND THERE ARE A FAIR NUMBER OF US THAT COLLECT REVERSE PROOFS.<<<<

Do not confuse "label" population with mintage. There were 9,996 2006 20th Anniversary Gold sets sold. It contained a $50 W proof and a $50 W uncirc. which each had a total mintage of 47,092 and 45,053 respectively. >>

@Derry -- Eric was specifically talking about the 2006 reverse proof gold eagle, which to my understanding does indeed have a mintage of 9996. Why are you talking about the regular proof and 'uncirculated' aka 1oz coins when he was specifically talking about the one ounce reverse proof? What am I missing here? >>

My bad. When he referred to the "20th anniversary gold" having a mintage of 9,996, it was not clear to me that he was referring only to the reverse proof which in fact is limited to the 9,996 mintage. The proof and uncirc in the set had higher mintages. My apologies Eric. Also, my source states "The set was limited to 10,000 units and sold out promptly." What happened to the other four sets?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    While I also ordered a few from APMEX today, do not be surprised to receive coins that did not make their cut for grading. At today's price, I can live with that.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Eric if the '11-w $50 age does go below 8883, what will that do to the prices of the '08-w $10? Will it fall or will the numis value stay where it is?

Answer: absolutely nothing because it has completely different market dynamics and they are not in the same series
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 20th anniversary gold has a mintage of 9,996. Now they are about $2500 after 5 years and they are the key to not only the proof gold $50 registry set and Red Book listings its also the key of THE COMPLETE REVERSE PROOF TYPE SET AND THERE ARE A FAIR NUMBER OF US THAT COLLECT REVERSE PROOFS.

The 2008w $10 gold is say $1400 after 4 years and it has a 8883 mintage. Well if this new 2011w gold eagle does fall out around 8500 coins then thats wonderful based on rarity in set its a 2000 coin maybe (that does not indicate it cant jump up and drop in the short term)..... AND if metals prices stay up what do you think the mint is going to strike to next year. Well that question boils down to predicting the scrap rate because they are going to have about the same target production run if high dollar gold is still the case. So while the coin is likely a great bullion coin that has a numismatic floor in case the metals get soft don’t look for high growth rates on a percentage basis over the next 4 years.

JMHO.

Eric >>

Eric,
    What you are saying makes sense. However, I know of eagle collectors who skipped the reverse proof for various reasons including that it was a proof, or just an odd duck. How many were there? OTOH, how many eagle collectors are there? Still, 1 oz MS gold eagles are a popular series and it isn't clear to me that this coin will not end up in short supply. Look at what happened to the UHR. --Jerry >>

The 2011W needs a strong marketer or group of such to promote the coins. Remember that it costs $50,000 just to buy the common dates in this set. That 50 grand times 8500 that is one hell of of load of market capitalization for series collectors to start creating shortness in the market so better hope it gets promoted and that the 2012w does not come in with low numbers also. Again the market does wild stuff in the short run and maybe all the speculators will hit it so hard it pulls hard for a while but I would not be out there selling say. 2011P reverse proof silver eagles at $275 each to buy them.

Guys modern that are great AND get promoted fall flat around 4 grand.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    ... so better hope it gets promoted and that the 2012w does not come in with low numbers also.

Do we even know if there will be a 2012 W?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    I don't think there will be a 2012 W UNC eagle.
    I think the mint will make a UNC buffalo this year.
    I think the 2011 Gold Eagle W Unc was a anniv issue that the mint did not promote,because of the silver eagle.
  • Options
    "why some like WC or Eric question just how far this coin can run from here."

Moderncoin ... the only difference between Eric & myself might be I own a fairly healthy position of 2011-W $50 Gold Eagles and I am questioning my own sanity as well after seeing how poorly I performed with 08-W $50 MS Burnished Gold Eagles! image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    The money on these will be made before final mintage of any possible 2012's is known.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    todays mint report: 8810
  • Options
    Purchased my 2011-W coin on 1/13/12. It was Backordered, with expected shipment of 1/27.

now it's 5 days later, and the expected shipment date has gone back 6 days to 2/2. At this rate, I will never get the thing !!

Mark
  • Options
    "todays mint report: 8810"

I did see that ... and it could (or could not be) the last report of sales on the coin. We will have to see what next week's report brings. Next week it might show as "NLA"

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>todays mint report: 8810 >>

Even though next week's report may possibly be bad news, I'm quite pleased to see where the coin is for the moment image.

• Options

<< <i>todays mint report: 8810 >>

This is an encouraging number. Where did u get this?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    Link for updated Mint Sales

There is the link for the latest sales numbers from the mint from coin update.
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think a mintage in the 8800 range should be good enough for this coin, it reminds me more of the 2008 w buffalo unc ounce over the RP gold eagle. Of course if they do a 2012 w ounce then all bets are off.image
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    wow it has lowest mintage.
  • Options
    <<Purchased my 2011-W coin on 1/13/12. It was Backordered, with expected shipment of 1/27.

now it's 5 days later, and the expected shipment date has gone back 6 days to 2/2. At this rate, I will never get the thing !!>>

another day goes by, and another day delay . . . expected ship is now 2/3/12
  • Options

<< <i><<Purchased my 2011-W coin on 1/13/12. It was Backordered, with expected shipment of 1/27.

now it's 5 days later, and the expected shipment date has gone back 6 days to 2/2. At this rate, I will never get the thing !!>>

another day goes by, and another day delay . . . expected ship is now 2/3/12 >>

85% chance it will eventually get cancelled. Saw the same thing with 2008 W.

Everytime they move shipment back add another 3% to your odds.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, an NGC MS70 ER just sold for $3500 and an NGC standard lable MS70 for $2900!!!

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW, an NGC MS70 ER just sold for $3500 and an NGC standard label MS70 for $2900!!! >>

That goodness they bought before the price takes off!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they have filled any backorders yet so maybe they are still getting the inventory tracked before they start. The 2008 w gold buffalo unc ounce took over a month to do backorders.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think they have filled any backorders yet so maybe they are still getting the inventory tracked before they start. The 2008 w gold buffalo unc ounce took over a month to do backorders. >>

2008 W buffalos didn't take off until it was announced that they would not do a 2009 set. I had first strike 70 sets in stock for months at under $3000/set and couldn't sell them. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think they have filled any backorders yet so maybe they are still getting the inventory tracked before they start. The 2008 w gold buffalo unc ounce took over a month to do backorders. >>

2008 W buffalos didn't take off until it was announced that they would not do a 2009 set. I had first strike 70 sets in stock for months at under $3000/set and couldn't sell them. --Jerry >>

Got any of the those $3000 sets left? image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW, an NGC MS70 ER just sold for $3500 and an NGC standard label MS70 for $2900!!! >>

That goodness they bought before the price takes off! >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

2008 W buffalos didn't take off until it was announced that they would not do a 2009 set. I had first strike 70 sets in stock for months at under $3000/set and couldn't sell them. --Jerry >>

Got any of the those $3000 sets left? image >>

I'm in for some of them as well :-)
  • Options
    I advised my clients earlier in the year to buy in on these. If any of you are reading here, I hope you listened (especially you Chris). Those that didn't, thanks for helping keep the mintage down.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>I advised my clients earlier in the year to buy in on these. If any of you are reading here, I hope you listened (especially you Chris). Those that didn't, thanks for helping keep the mintage down. >>

Sounds like you shold have some grateful clients!

This reminds me of a forum member who, back in '08, told a client/friend to buy 50 of the '08 W $10 AGE Uncs instead of generic ones. His client/friend did just that. What a great move!!
  • Options
    I love them buffalos. I too was selling ATS 70 sets for nothing over cost when first came out. I did get a nice heard when they were selling out at the end from mint. Been selling off my ATS ones and replacing with PCGS ones. Just have to watch out for ones with red spots. I think they will be great coins for the long term and are very nice to look at .
  • Options

<< <i>I love them buffalos. I too was selling ATS 70 sets for nothing over cost when first came out. I did get a nice heard when they were selling out at the end from mint. Been selling off my ATS ones and replacing with PCGS ones. Just have to watch out for ones with red spots. I think they will be great coins for the long term and are very nice to look at . >>

I'm with you. LOVE the Buffs!

I bought a lot of them but foolishly sold off about 1/3rd in late '08. How dumb that was...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I advised my clients earlier in the year to buy in on these. If any of you are reading here, I hope you listened (especially you Chris). Those that didn't, thanks for helping keep the mintage down. >>

This reminds me of a forum member who, back in '08, told a client/friend to buy 50 of the '08 W $10 AGE Uncs instead of generic ones. His client/friend did just that. What a great move!! >>

My only mistake with the 08 W uncirc. AGEs and Buffs was that I sold too early (late 2009). I did not make the mistake of not buying enough, I bought all I could financially handle (20 prosperity sets alone).

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    APMEX single 2011-W 1 oz Burnished Gold American Eagle MS-70 PCGS (non-FS) that was listed for $2999 yesterday is gone as well.
  • Options

<< <i>APMEX single 2011-W 1 oz Burnished Gold American Eagle MS-70 PCGS (non-FS) that was listed for $2999 yesterday is gone as well. >>

I'm waiting on FEDEX to show up with a few of the raws that APMEX had listed. I'm afraid they are going to be culls. At 1,853.20 ea. I guess I can't expect too much.

For my non-clients who might have felt left out of the advance tip check my May 27 9:28 am post here.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This reminds me of a forum member who, back in '08, told a client/friend to buy 50 of the '08 W $10 AGE Uncs instead of generic ones. His client/friend did just that. What a great move!! >>

My only mistake with the 08 W uncirc. AGEs and Buffs was that I sold too early (late 2009). I did not make the mistake of not buying enough, I bought all I could financially handle (20 prosperity sets alone). >>

I sold too early as well, but at least I kept two-thirds of the herd.

My other mistake was dividing my money between the buffs and the plats.

My other other mistake was selling several 2008 W AGE Unc 4 coin sets way to early.
  • Options
    Would you guys please stop complaining about only making a killing instead of a fortune with your '08 purchases image

LOL I'm only kidding of course...
  • Options

<< <i>

I sold too early as well, but at least I kept two-thirds of the herd.

My other mistake was dividing my money between the buffs and the plats.

My other other mistake was selling several 2008 W AGE Unc 4 coin sets way to early. >>

Raufus,

I rather have some of your "mistakes" image
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I just checked and I have one of these in OGP not slabbed. It is worth more than melt?
  • Options

<< <i>Ok I just checked and I have one of these in OGP not slabbed. It is worth more than melt? >>

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    How much can i sell now?
  • Options

<< <i>How much can i sell now? >>

Which issue?
  • Options

<< <i>Would you guys please stop complaining about only making a killing instead of a fortune with your '08 purchases image

LOL I'm only kidding of course... >>

Of course, it goes both ways.

Let's just say that my '06 W plats are not worth quite what I paid for them...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I needed cash flow at the time and I remember talking a good customer who bought a lot of presidential dollars from me into taking the last set at my cost of somewhere under $2500 at the time. --Jerry
  • Options
    I did same thing on and split between buffs and plats( maxed out credit cards the rest of the way with platinum). The plats were a fun frenzy the way they all sold out in almost one day. One minute one denomination was there and next it was gone. The 08 plats are not as good as Buffs now but they are a very nice modern rare beautiful coin. I really like the platinum as it was what got me started in modern coins in 2005. I was looking for an anniversary ring for the wife and came across a $100 platinum coin. I was like man that little ring is $2000 and that big nice $100 coin is only $1150. I bought both and been a happy coin collector ever since.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I needed cash flow at the time and I remember talking a good customer who bought a lot of presidential dollars from me into taking the last set at my cost of somewhere under $2500 at the time. --Jerry >>

Wow, Jerry. You certainly took good care of him/her!!

Fun to remember this stuff.

I still have email from a dealer offering a special on PCGS PF70FS Buff Sets for around $2800. Amazing how high those went.
  • Options

<< <i>I did same thing on and split between buffs and plats( maxed out credit cards the rest of the way with platinum). The plats were a fun frenzy the way they all sold out in almost one day. One minute one denomination was there and next it was gone. The 08 plats are not as good as Buffs now but they are a very nice modern rare beautiful coin. I really like the platinum as it was what got me started in modern coins in 2005. I was looking for an anniversary ring for the wife and came across a $100 platinum coin. I was like man that little ring is $2000 and that big nice $100 coin is only $1150. I bought both and been a happy coin collector ever since. >>

I really LOVE the changing reverse plats. I don't know why they don't have more of a following.

One of those sets was my longest Mint B/O. I ordered a 2008 W Plat proof set late in the day on the day that they went B/O. They kept moving the date back forever. I thought that I had no chance on these. Two or three MONTHS later they shipped. I was thrilled. The day that the box arrived they were going for around $4K raw - nearly double what they cost. Still have the sealed box to this day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file