Home U.S. Coin Forum

2011 W AGE Unc on backorder now! UPDATE: 1/17 SOLD OUT!!! 1/24: 8,822 sold

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one I got from the Apmex "25" has a small scratch...no surprise there, but wonder what that makes it worth?image >>

More than you paid. image
    Apmex sends the good one's in for grading.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

• << <i>It also wouldn't surprise me if some/many of these w coins are lost in the regular bullion coins over many, many years and drop the actual available amount of coins. The mintmark is so small that it is easy to miss, they did not place it in a spot on the coin that is separate from other design elements. It gets sold at spot and melted with other eagle coins, etc. >>

+1000 -- I have done extremely well at shows saving 'W' ms gold eagles from bullion piles, although in the last year it seems many dealers have caught on to the fact they're special and finding them in the wild has mostly dried up. The point is that many have already been mishandled and or melted and over time that's only going to continue.

<< <i>BTW I put that 8822 mintage in my table of 1 ounce gold and it is a huge hole in the eagle series.... If this is the last one it will be huge l o n g t e r m, if more come out I would buy those too. Just look at that string and you see how it sticks out. >>

I couldn't agree more image. Those with time on their side would be wise to put one or two away...

• << <i>If the 2011-W ends up the new low mintage king, then on the coattails of that publicity, the 2012 will sell more. --Jerry >>

Yes, unless they run $2,400+ from the mint.
    mint pricing for gold eagles is determined by their weekly average gold pricing grid.

A $2400 mint price would require a $2150 weekly average gold price

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the 2011-W ends up the new low mintage king, then on the coattails of that publicity, the 2012 will sell more. --Jerry >>

Yes, unless they run $2,400+ from the mint. >>

I may be wrong on this but I think that higher trending gold prices can increase sales because a rising price gets people excited about presumed future growth. A falling gold price can supress sales because no one wants to buy something today and immediately lose value the following week. It is counter intuitive but I think true. Of course adding to the mix is the general economy which could affect sales also.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan to hedge my bets: I have two PCGS MS70FS. I am going to sell one soon and keep the other.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    What are the chances the Mint sees the low sales of the 2011 W and decides not to make the 2012 W? I don't think they are required to by law unlike the Spouse coins, right?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • I think the 2011 W was a under the radar annv edition
    I don't think the mint will make a UNC W in gold for 2012
    If they do I think it will be a buffalo.
    anyway that's what I think.

VL

<< <i>What are the chances the Mint sees the low sales of the 2011 W and decides not to make the 2012 W? I don't think they are required to by law unlike the Spouse coins, right? >>

That would make too much sense.

• << <i>I may be wrong on this but I think that higher trending gold prices can increase sales because a rising price gets people excited about presumed future growth. A falling gold price can supress sales because no one wants to buy something today and immediately lose value the following week. It is counter intuitive but I think true. Of course adding to the mix is the general economy which could affect sales also. >>

I don't think your going to be increasing the collector base with higher prices. I think potential new collectors will chooses food, shelter, and realitively cheap silver.
    Coin Update reports on Feb. that there has been no change in mint sales numbers, holding at 8822. This is good.

<< <i>Coin Update reports on Feb. that there has been no change in mint sales numbers, holding at 8822. This is good. >>

This is fantastic news!! The final finals will likely be even lower.
    Guess this is just a dream now:

2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ 6 $1,878.00 $11,268.00 6 units backordered. Expected to ship on 02/23/2012.

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    How are these selling? Is the resell price strong?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
    Still weak. The mob hasn't caught on yet.

• << <i>Still weak. The mob hasn't caught on yet. >>

Mob still hypnotized buying 25th ASE sets. Once they break that spell they will move on to something else. Perhaps this. The 2011w AGE is a cool coin.
  • 6 backordered? Lol. I have 1 backordered. I fear that we may end up having the same amount delivered
    This is so fun
  • I was told that coins will ship on the 14 of FEB I have a delivery of 24 FEB ten days later.
    I was also told the coins are in stock and ready to be shipped
    call the mint and see if you get the same reply.

VL
  • As long as the mint numbers don't increase, I hope everyone here receives their backorders imageimage

<< <i>As long as the mint numbers don't increase, I hope everyone here receives their backorders imageimage >>

Exactly. These are already counted in the sales numbers.
    The latest issue of NN just arrived. Love the * by the 8822 :-)

The LOWEST mintage of ALL AGEs - love it!
  • well, I ordered one exactly one month ago today. Still showing backordered, with an Expected to Ship date one month more than when i purchased.

I'm kissing this coin goodbye. It'll never come . . . image

Mark

<< <i>well, I ordered one exactly one month ago today. Still showing backordered, with an Expected to Ship date one month more than when i purchased.

I'm kissing this coin goodbye. It'll never come . . . image

Mark >>

There is always a slim glimmer of hope...

I ordered a 2008 W Plat proof 4 coin set just when they went B/O. The date kept getting pushed back. It arrived nearly 3 months after I ordered it. I paid about $2100 for the set. On the day that it arrived they were bringing about $4K on Ebay. You never know. You might luck out :-)
  • I actually spoke with Mint customer service on Friday (as suggested by another member posted here) regarding an order placed a month ago and was also told "your order shows the shipping date of 02/14". I'm not too optimistic but would still leave 10% chance
  • I also called the Mint on Friday (2/10) because of that recommendation, and it was strange, because they also told me it had a ship date of 2/14, and the "last update" on the order was 1/30. He also said it hadn't "moved to the closed state", and when I asked what that meant, he said it meant there were still coins available.

hmmm . . .
  • Yes That is what I was told also
    so don't give up........

VL
    Sounds like you all may well be in for a pleasant surprise.

Wishing you luck image
  • That would be cool if we got it- at this point I'm thinking it's a bonus either way- either a rad coin, or a beautifully toned $1878 more in my bank.
    This is so fun
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone gotten an answer out of PCGS as to why there are no population reports for the 2011 and 2011-W AGEs?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • You just have to look for the population number.

PCGS Pop Report ---------------------------------------68---69---70
    2011-W $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary-------------------1---662--150
    2011-W $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary First Strike------2----75----83

2011 $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary First Strike --------2----172--1588
    2011 $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary----------------- ----4----148--82
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Has anyone gotten an answer out of PCGS as to why there are no population reports for the 2011 and 2011-W AGEs?

I called Customer Service a while back, and they said that there was something wrong with the link between the database & the Population Report, because populations WERE showing up if you look it up using CoinFacts, but NOT if you just click on the Pop Report link on bottom of the main web site.

She said she would pass along the issue to try and get it fixed.

Other coins are also missing in the report, but I can't remember which ones. I had another post on this issue a couple weeks ago.

Mark
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks revoldlog! But, where do you find the population number?

The Platinum Eagle population report and price guide are in the same bad shape, even in Coin Facts. The only response I got to my detailed questions was a confusing mish-mash that didn't answer my questions.

I'm not so sure that I'll be renewing Coin Facts.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>Thanks revoldlog! But, where do you find the population number?

The Platinum Eagle population report and price guide are in the same bad shape, even in Coin Facts. The only response I got to my detailed questions was a confusing mish-mash that didn't answer my questions.

I'm not so sure that I'll be renewing Coin Facts. >>

You can still use the PCGS population report page, but instead of choosing the category, you directly type in the coin number in the "Lookup by PCGS No: " field.

Or, you can look at someone's registry set and click on the coin number directly.

• << <i>You just have to look for the population number.

PCGS Pop Report ---------------------------------------68---69---70
    2011-W $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary-------------------1---662--150
    2011-W $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary First Strike------2----75----83

2011 $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary First Strike --------2----172--1588
    2011 $50 Eagle-25th Anniversary----------------- ----4----148--82 >>

So the bullion coins are of much higher quality than the collector version from the Mint? Gee, thanks Mint. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    2/14 sales report unchanged - 8,822 sold, this must be it!

• << <i>I also called the Mint on Friday (2/10) because of that recommendation, and it was strange, because they also told me it had a ship date of 2/14, and the "last update" on the order was 1/30. He also said it hadn't "moved to the closed state", and when I asked what that meant, he said it meant there were still coins available.

hmmm . . . >>

Did the mint ship any backorder on 2/14??
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • Well - some not so unexpected news... No more waiting game - my order is cancelled

Order Date: 01/13/2012 at 07:29 AM

Order Status: Your order request has been cancelled.

2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ 2 $1,878.00 $3,756.00 Item is no longer available.

<< <i>Well - some not so unexpected news... No more waiting game - my order is cancelled

2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ 2 $1,878.00 $3,756.00 Item is no longer available. >>

What a bummer! Very sorry to hear this.

What is the latest date/time for which an order was filled?

• << <i>

<< <i>Well - some not so unexpected news... No more waiting game - my order is cancelled

2011 AE GOLD UNC MM 1 OZ 2 $1,878.00 $3,756.00 Item is no longer available. >>

What a bummer! Very sorry to hear this.

What is the latest date/time for which an order was filled? >>

My 1/12/2012 8:36 PM was filled. Anyone else have a later order filled?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    Grabbed a couple before they went dark

imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimage

• Nice Stash Derby!!!

My order was cancelled also image
  • Mine cancelled too! Email came at 2:15 am!
    This is so fun

• << <i>Grabbed a couple before they went dark >>

imageimageimage

Did you buy those already graded? I thought I read they were difficult in 70.
    purchased directly from mint at various times. Screened what I sent for grading.

• << <i>purchased directly from mint at various times. Screened what I sent for grading. >>

Wow, nice! Why do some have the 25th anniversary designation and others don't? Do you need to specifically request it?
    didn't request, didn't pay extra. Guess it depends on what label they are using that day.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple? A couple dozen! image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Darn, I just got my email canceling my order as well, which was placed on Jan 13.

Het derryb, are you parting with any of yours?

Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file