Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DANG - still no pics of the presentation! I wanna know what that $100+ packaging is going to look like.

Yeah, I know -- we get a P mintmark and some vapor-blasting (whatever the h*ll that is) too...

Deja vue back to November now in anticipation of the bullion pucks. The anticipation continues!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DANG - still no pics of the presentation! I wanna know what that $100+ packaging is going to look like.

Yeah, I know -- we get a P mintmark and some vapor-blasting (whatever the h*ll that is) too...

Deja vue back to November now in anticipation of the bullion pucks. The anticipation continues! >>

the Mint PR says it is a similar process that they use for the bronze medals.

Let the imagination and speculation fly.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    The coins will include the "P" mint mark and carry a special uncirculated finish created through a vapor blasting technique.

Blasted coins. I guess you can count out any DMPL' s on these.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like the closest will win the W ASE....

ahrelep

Posted: Saturday January 22, 2011 7:07 PM

Guess: April 21, 2011

Once the Mint issues a statement that confirms the date I will send your silver out to you....

Note: spot silver has increased around $11/oz. since that guess was made >>

YAY!
    Can someone please link the actual contest Thread, i can't even find it anymore.

On another note, i think that these will definitely sell out within the first few hours.
    G'Luck to all!
  • Options
    I couldn't find them either but someone on the board sent me the links....here you go:

Date

This one is still not declared yet:

Price

Congrats ahrelep....PM me your address and as soon as the Mint puts up the purchase page I will send you your W ASE
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melt on a set is now $980. Single $196.
    At my previous guess of 30% over melt, the Mint price would be $254.80 per coin.
    Plus shipping, which we will get to pay five times instead of once.
    Total pretty close to $1300, plus a new phone to replace the one you wore out dialing ad absurdum, assuming silver does not go up any higher.....
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    The hockey pucks were approved on Dec. 23, 2008. Silver closed at either $10.19 or $10.30, depending on which number you use from Kitco.

Using $10.30 and my +30% theory, the price for one would have been about $66.95, a set of five $334.75.

I am sure it seemed like a good idea at the time!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Will all of the sandblasted P-Pucks be automatically rejected as "altered surfaces?????
  • Options

<< <i>Will all of the sandblasted P-Pucks be automatically rejected as "altered surfaces????? >>

Anyone?
    Class?
    Bueller?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Will all of the sandblasted P-Pucks be automatically rejected as "altered surfaces????? >>

Anyone?
    Class?
    Bueller? >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Well, the government shutdown should push this release back another 6-9 months.........

• Options
    Looks like the government shutdown will be averted.
    This should only delay the P-pucks by 4-5 months.

P.S.: Melt on a set now over $1,000!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if the goverment austerity efforts would impact future Mint offerings. What would be the chances that the pucks are pulled or put on hold all together? Does anyone have a feel about whether the puck program is a money maker or loser for the Mint? Seems like a loser to me but I have no hard data.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>I was wondering if the goverment austerity efforts would impact future Mint offerings. What would be the chances that the pucks are pulled or put on hold all together? Does anyone have a feel about whether the puck program is a money maker or loser for the Mint? Seems like a loser to me but I have no hard data. >>

Seriously doubt if it's a money loser as the needed silver was purchased at a much lower price then today's spot. I believe the delay was designed to increase their profit.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    you know I have no clue what to think about any of this, but I do know one thing...

its cool to actually see smoething that has everyone fired up for a change. Theres
    so much crap and disappointment in the world we need smoething like this.

hope it works out for everyone image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quote from Coinupdate...

"The US Mint will release the first two designs of this year featuring Gettysburg National Military Park and Glacier National Park on April 25, 2011. Because the mintages will be substantially higher than the previous year, authorized purchasers will not be subject to additional terms and conditions on the 2011-dated coins. They will, however, be required to certify that they have distributed all of their 2010-dated coins in accordance with the applicable terms.

A quantity of 126,500 coins for each of the two designs will be allocated to participating authorized purchasers. The US Mint has stated that their goal is to have a minimum of 126,500 coins available for each of the 2011 designs. The mintage limit may be increased “based on market demand and blank availability.”

As with the prior year, the US Mint is imposing a premium of $9.75 per coin above the market value of the silver content for authorized purchasers. This group of eleven primary distributors is able to purchase bullion coins directly from the United States Mint. The bullion coins are then resold to other bullion dealers, coin dealers, and the public."

Do they really believe that the AP's, when selling, are going to abide by the $9.75 premium per coin? Or is the US Mint selling them to the AP's at the quoted price of $9.75 above spot....I'm confused image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    The $9.75 premium is the premium that the Mint charges the AP per coin. The AP's then sell them to dealers for more than that. The dealers then sell them retail for more than they paid.

Same system as the American Silver Eagles.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The $9.75 premium is the premium that the Mint charges the AP per coin. The AP's then sell them to dealers for more than that. The dealers then sell them retail for more than they paid.

Same system as the American Silver Eagles. >>

Thanks, Capt. for clarifying it. ... Let the competition begin ... I can't wait to see the results. BTW, the AP's cost to the Mint is less than what they are charged for 5 x 1 oz ASE's.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't find them either but someone on the board sent me the links....here you go:

Date

This one is still not declared yet:

Price

Congrats ahrelep....PM me your address and as soon as the Mint puts up the purchase page I will send you your W ASE >>

Received Coin Today.
    Thanks!
    Go Yanks! :-)
  • Options

<< <i>I was wondering if the goverment austerity efforts would impact future Mint offerings. What would be the chances that the pucks are pulled or put on hold all together? Does anyone have a feel about whether the puck program is a money maker or loser for the Mint? Seems like a loser to me but I have no hard data. >>

Their internal net profit target is 15% overall (adding the base hits and the home runs, and looking at it over all product offerings. Not over any single product, however).

They make money by making money.

Packaging and profit margin (and I hope a little special handling) account for the premiums we see on the mint web site.

You can rest easy knowing these will have a trmendous markup over spot and there will be news stories &/or blog posts comparing the pricing on these to the bullion pricing.

• Options

<< <i>Received Coin Today. Thanks! Go Yanks! :-) >>

P.S>...at least the BoSox found SOMEONE they can beat image
  • Options

<< <i>Good God...2 puck threads.....Any predictions what a US Mint 5 puck set will cost? $1,125 - $1,200 range is my call. >>

Hey all...just switching over from the monster thread...image

Just checked on Ebay and a pre-sale for a set of 2010 P's has one bid of $1350 with 20 hours to go. Crazy! I wonder if the seller or the buyer realizes these will be sold one at a time?
  • Options
    The price just came out. It is $279.95.

I know they only sell one at a time, but if $279.95 * 5 = $1399.75 ==> Apmex knows how to price image
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Can you post a link? I couldn't find anything on the Mint site. Also, any pics yet? I'm still not entirely convinced these actually exist. image
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Can you post a link? I couldn't find anything on the Mint site. Also, any pics yet? I'm still not entirely convinced these actually exist. image >>

P Hot Spring Pricing Update
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The price just came out. It is $279.95.

I know they only sell one at a time, but if $279.95 * 5 = $1399.75 ==> Apmex knows how to price image >>

Well I say that is total B------- The mint is now doing exactly what they told the ap's not to do. These coins were made LAST year when spot was around 30. Now its not the publics fault the mint did not sell these when they were supposed to be sold. Instead they waited for the ap's to dump all the bullion and the price has gone up and NOW they decide to sell? This really ticks me off. It figures the Ap's were trying to screw us over in the beginning and now the mint is going to do the same thing. I can see the price of the 2011 going up but not for last years batch.image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good God...2 puck threads.....Any predictions what a US Mint 5 puck set will cost? $1,125 - $1,200 range is my call. >>

Just checked on Ebay and a pre-sale for a set of 2010 P's has one bid of $1350 with 20 hours to go. Crazy! I wonder if the seller or the buyer realizes these will be sold one at a time? >>

Can't find it, do you have a link?
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    That's BS.

I mean a markup above spot is fine, but 40% !!!

$220 - $230 would have been fair.

• Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Yikes. $56/oz. Well, I'm buying anyway.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Don't forget the premium for the packaging, the empty boxes alone will go for $159.95.....image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

This does not surprise me at all. Everybody laughed at me when I said it would be $229,95 about 3 months ago and $249.95 about 3 weeks

ago . Well, I guess I was a little low and if silver goes up some more watch out.

The 2011's are going to be a complete joke.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Not everybody laughed at you... some of us take everything your say very seriously..like Mahmar Gaddafi.

Anyway...This thread is starting to shape up like the other...a lot of... complaining...soon to be followed by vigorous ...purchasing image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    they are modifying all the old urh boxes for these , thats why they are $$$$$
  • Options
    AND, we get to pay multiple shipping charges!!!!!!

whoopie
  • Options
    Well...if the price holds...we have a logical winner in the "Guess the price...get a "W" ASE" contest

<< <i>I'm surprised at how low the guesses are. I'll go with APMEX's initial price: $1395.00 >>

.....Paladin

Since the Mint left the price up in the air I will wait until the official announcement before confirming the winner....but it looks like this will be where it will price out

• Options
    Still no pictures of the sandblast finish. Not encouraging.
    TD
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the bronze spouse medals. I am not impressed. The spouse medals have mirrors so maybe they will get the PL designation also. Maybe some will escape the sandblasting. That would be interesting. It would have the P mark and still set it apart from the bullion.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The price just came out. It is $279.95.

I know they only sell one at a time, but if $279.95 * 5 = $1399.75 ==> Apmex knows how to price image >>

Well I say that is total B------- The mint is now doing exactly what they told the ap's not to do. These coins were made LAST year when spot was around 30. Now its not the publics fault the mint did not sell these when they were supposed to be sold. Instead they waited for the ap's to dump all the bullion and the price has gone up and NOW they decide to sell? This really ticks me off. It figures the Ap's were trying to screw us over in the beginning and now the mint is going to do the same thing. I can see the price of the 2011 going up but not for last years batch.image >>

Look only as far as the premium over spot for the proof ASEs versus the bullion.

These will have a similar markup as proof ASEs. There should have been no surprise about that.

Back in Dec. 2010, the price of silver was around $30 and the proof ASEs sold for $45.95. That is a little over 53% markup.

Why did you expect anything different?
  • Options
    The price is good by me. I plan on ordering 10 of them. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just checked on Ebay and a pre-sale for a set of 2010 P's has one bid of $1350 with 20 hours to go. Crazy! I wonder if the seller or the buyer realizes these will be sold one at a time? >>

Can't find it, do you have a link? >>

Here you go...

Ebay uncirculated set
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey all...just switching over from the monster thread...

Here you go...

Ebay uncirculated set >>

Pretty sure those are the Current Bullion version and NOT the "P" mint collector version.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Here you go...

Ebay uncirculated set >>

Pretty sure those are the Current Bullion version and NOT the "P" mint collector version. >>

Okay, in looking again I think you are right...the wording was throwing me off "uncirculated"...image
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Well...if the price holds...we have a logical winner in the "Guess the price...get a "W" ASE" contest

<< <i>I'm surprised at how low the guesses are. I'll go with APMEX's initial price: $1395.00 >>

.....Paladin

Since the Mint left the price up in the air I will wait until the official announcement before confirming the winner....but it looks like this will be where it will price out >>

I've got my fingers crossed. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Here you go...

Ebay uncirculated set >>

Pretty sure those are the Current Bullion version and NOT the "P" mint collector version. >>

Okay, in looking again I think you are right...the wording was throwing me off "uncirculated"...image >>

Yup, that's not a presale, but this one is, not mine...

Presale
  • Options
    Anda 1, anda 2, and a 345...........

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Here you go...

Ebay uncirculated set >>

Okay, in looking again I think you are right...the wording was throwing me off "uncirculated"...image >>

Yup, that's not a presale, but this one is, not mine...

Presale >>

Boy, what a deal! If he buys some, he can bleep you. If he can't, he just gives you your money back.
    Sheesh!
  • Options
    The AP`s need to write the mint and boycott the 2011 sales until the mint quits charging outlandish prices nothing more than 10% plus shipping that would be fair. We should all write the mint.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Guess all those fishing lures he sells has given him an inside track at The Mint image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>The AP`s need to write the mint and boycott the 2011 sales until the mint quits charging outlandish prices nothing more than 10% plus shipping that would be fair. We should all write the mint. >>

The AP's will not be selling these so they would have no interest in complaining to the Mint.

The coins they WILL be buying from the Mint will be at the same relative price as the 2010's ...spot plus $9.95 (which is less than 10%)
  • Options

<< <i>The AP`s need to write the mint and boycott the 2011 sales until the mint quits charging outlandish prices nothing more than 10% plus shipping that would be fair. We should all write the mint. >>

Are you talking the bullion coins or the numismatic coins? The AP's are not handling the numismatic coins. The Mint sells those directly.......at outrageous prices!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file