Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1978 Topps baseball collectors

Comments

• Options
    Glad to give it a resting place....it's now living out its days in a sound-proof, temperature-controlled vault. Hopefully, it will be joined by that elusive Nolan Ryan someday.
  • Options
    By the way, did you notice that there was another similar box being auctioned, and the price after 8 bids was only $320. ....and, it had been listed for a longer period of time than the Just Collect box. I don't get it.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1978 collectors: STAY AWAY from that other 1978 wax box. The seller is a notorious resealer!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Regarding the JustCollect box: Leighton Sheldon, who owns JustCollect, Inc. is a very reputable and trustworthy seller. If there were any monkey business going on, I could see him shutting down the auction and relisting it at a later date...or he may have just made a deal to sell the box off ebay to a buyer who he knows is good for it..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    If anyone has a 1978 psa 10 george brett I would pay top $$$. Send me a private message
    PSA: THE BEDELL COLLECTION..1980's Topps Royals, George Brett, Bo Jackson and Jose Canseco collections.

Successful transactions with the following members: Rogermnj, Salinas, CDsNuts, Murphdawg, imafishinnut, samspop, Con40, colebear, jbox, firedawg45
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the winner of that 78 wax box...if they open the packs they are going to find a bunch of NM commons with the occasional EX star card.

78 unopened has really risen in value of late. I can recall when rack packs would go for $30 each. $550 for a lot of ten with the original box is a healthy price indeed, but I'd also pay a premium if the packs were all from the original box. My only reluctance about racks (and cellos) is that some dealers are familiar with the card sequencing in the set so they can determine by the visible cards if the Murray or Molitor or Ryan cards are inside. I think that's the main reason why wax commands a premium even though you have the issues with gum and wax cards at times. The 78 wax boxes I have are case fresh, though, so the gum is intact and slides freely in the pack, so if you can get packs like that, you won't have to toss away the gum card in most cases.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And how about the 10 rack packs that went for $550 >>

I saw that 1978 rack pack box, but was not impressed by the condition of the racks from the picture posted. Grote is right about the prices skyrocketing on these. I bought a couple of cello boxes a couple of years ago for $400 a pop and I can't imagine what I could get now for them.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Can't imagine the chaos should a case of racks appear on the bay. At this rate it could approach 5 digits

The last 78 sealed rack case I saw sold for 5K plus juice in an REA auction last year..

• Options
    I know that Hatch is not one to kiss and tell, but what did the Stennett PSA 10 go for. That is a difficult card, one which I thought would never be graded a 10. With that being said I would like to pose a question to all the 78ers out there. What will be the LAST PSA 10 in the set: Ryan, Lemaster. Jackson Todd, rick burleson, Bob Watson, Bevacqua?
  • Options
    Stennett was $50 in 2008
  • Options
    The PSA Stennett went for $50? Unbelieveable! What a bargain. Great pick up for Hatch.
  • Options
    Back then it seemed like a high price image
  • Options
    That is certainly the nicest LeMaster I have seen. What will be the the Last PSA 10 to be graded?
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    of the ones seminolelaw mentioned, I say Bevacqua, because that card has so many print defects that people will be hesitant to submit it.

I think Nolan Ryan will pop 10 before Rod Carew does. Carew is also loaded with print defects; Ryan rarely is.

The card I think will be last to grade 10 is #103 Tom Murphy. That card is always poorly cut.

• Options
    My guess is the last 10 will be from one of the following: Bevacqua, Speier, Todd, or Ryan.....but I'm not sure it will happen in my lifetime image
  • Options
    A Todd in a PSA 10 just hit eBay.....Shows how poorly my visionary skills are.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A Todd in a PSA 10 just hit eBay.....Shows how poorly my visionary skills are. >>

Good Luck !!!!--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>but I'm not sure it will happen in my lifetime >>

And we're certainly glad that you were wrong on that account!!

• Options
    That looks like one heck of a submission by pristine-paper.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Card # 231 Nordhagen has appeared.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    ....and a Metzger #431. Looks like my kid's college tuition will be redirected into cardboard.
  • Options
    #512 Herndon and #503 Hampton (both POP 2) are also available. I've got the other ones, so I won't get in anybody's way on these two cards. They're both tough cards. Good luck.
  • Options
    let me start by saying that i have to respect how well you guys know this set.

i have a question... Eventually i would like to put this set together raw, in sheets/binder with My Focus being 50/50(or darn close) centering and no registration issues.
    (PD) does not bother me, as long as its not crazy distracting. Same goes for corner/edges wear.

is this something that is just a pipedream? i have no intention of slabbing them.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Nice job! Great centering, especially on the Brett and Murray...I'm guessing that wasn't easy to do.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>let me start by saying that i have to respect how well you guys know this set.

i have a question... Eventually i would like to put this set together raw, in sheets/binder with My Focus being 50/50(or darn close) centering and no registration issues.
    (PD) does not bother me, as long as its not crazy distracting. Same goes for corner/edges wear.

is this something that is just a pipedream? i have no intention of slabbing them. >>

If you're interested, we put this set together. It's the nicest raw we've ever seen. >>

those look amazing!

i have to ask though, why werent they sent in to PSA? you have a lot of nice PSAs listed, makes me wonder why you'd sell something raw
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Who is pristine paper???
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    Thats what I thought. Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks for the support. After those four, I think we still have 45 cards to go -- the cards below need upgrading. I may have a Carew coming soon....fingers crossed:

38 WILLIE MONTANEZ 9 32 0
    71 TERRY HUMPHREY 9 49 3
    103 TOM MURPHY 9 15 0
    113 DON CARRITHERS 9 36 3
    132 ENOS CABELL 9 54 2
    133 JERRY AUGUSTINE 9 47 1
    137 CRAIG KUSICK 9 35 2
    141 RUPPERT JONES 9 30 1
    196 BOB BAILOR 9 31 3
    221 CHRIS SPEIER 9 12 0
    231 WAYNE NORDHAGEN 9 19 1
    245 RICK BURLESON 9 25 0
    258 JOHN HILLER 9 43 4
    320 FRED LYNN 9 39 0
    330 BOB WATSON 9 18 0
    333 JIM TODD 9 32 0
    347 TERRY FORSTER 9 14 0
    369 TIM NORDBROOK 9 21 0
    371 RAY BURRIS 9 63 3
    373 JIM WILLOUGHBY 9 26 0
    386 BOB GORINSKI 9 27 1
    395 JIM HUGHES 9 21 0
    400 NOLAN RYAN 9 58 0
    408 JOE ZDEB 9 28 1
    431 BUTCH METZGER 9 43 1
    479 CARDINALS TEAM 9 37 1
    481 JACKSON TODD 9 10 1
    493 STEVE RENKO 9 29 0
    506 RON BLOMBERG 9 22 2
    508 JOHNNY OATES 9 21 1
    515 TIM CORCORAN 9 31 1
    522 DICK WILLIAMS 9 21 0
    536 RORIC HARRISON 9 42 0
    556 ED ARMBRISTER 9 30 1
    572 RICK WISE 9 30 1
    578 BUZZ CAPRA 9 31 4
    579 RANCE MULLINIKS 9 102 1
    580 ROD CAREW 9 70 0
    597 STEVE DILLARD 9 22 0
    601 GENE MAUCH 9 51 1
    603 WILL McENANEY 9 28 1
    642 DENNY DOYLE 9 18 0
    681 ROB BELLOIR 9 23 0
    690 MICKEY RIVERS 9 35 0
    725 KURT BEVACQUA 9 14 0
  • Options

How is this possible, Hatch:

<< <i>258 JOHN HILLER 9 43 4 >>

How can there be 4 tens out there, and you have not one of them??

Nick
  • Options
    Nick,
    Must be a Hiller-hoarder out there image
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
    BBG?
  • Options
    Hatch...check out the Pristine Paper thread on the SC&M Forum. Look at Digicat's posting. He lists the details of PP's PSA sub. Maybe some of the cards he hasn't put up on ebay, he might sell you directly to you?

Nick
  • Options
    Hey guys I finished this set back in 1986 before all this grading started. I joined PSA a few weeks ago and pulled out my binder and picked one card to submit from this set just to see how the grading would go. I would love to make this my first set registry but I think it would be cost prohibitive after reading some of the post on here. Do you have a short list of the cards I should check in my binder that are considered the hardest to get in at least a PSA-9... I know that me purchasing 10's are out of reach. I might try and sub the top 50 cards I have condition wise not nec. the stars.

Below is the scan of my first sub... Most of my cards are in same condition, I tried to update them the best I could back in the day.

Paul

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys I finished this set back in 1986 before all this grading started. I joined PSA a few weeks ago and pulled out my binder and picked one card to submit from this set just to see how the grading would go. I would love to make this my first set registry but I think it would be cost prohibitive after reading some of the post on here. Do you have a short list of the cards I should check in my binder that are considered the hardest to get in at least a PSA-9... I know that me purchasing 10's are out of reach. I might try and sub the top 50 cards I have condition wise not nec. the stars.

Below is the scan of my first sub... Most of my cards are in same condition, I tried to update them the best I could back in the day.

Paul

>>

Since you're a PSA member, check the online Pop reports - it's the best place to get a good feel for what are the really tough numbers.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Nick,
    I checked the list out...thank you for the tip. It was an impressive list of 10's, but nothing I need (besides what he is currently auctioning). Thanks again.
  • Options
    bking, Thanks for your reply. I have started to analyze this set but I'm brand new to PSA, not to collecting and grading. With 100,275 graded so far this is a little daunting. One example I will use, #221 Chris Speier has a total of 54 subs. with 0 - 10's and 12 - 9's . Is the # of subs low due to no interest in grading the card or is there a shortage of gradable cards due to some known print defect? This was the kind of data I was looking for. I don't expect anyone to do my research for me but if anyone has some offhand info, it would be welcomed... I look forward to any and all thoughts.

Paul
  • Options
    bbg, thanks I will check it out and consider it.

Paul
  • Options
    Did you get your man, Hatch?
  • Options
    Nick,
    I got run over by a train. Here's the results of the three auctions:

Nordhagen 231 $1393.96 winning bidder: 867 feedback
    Metzger 431 $ 875 winning bidder: 534 feedback
    Todd 481 $1361.97 winning bidder: 867 feedback

Those two bidders went toe to toe.....I never stood a chance.
  • Options
    I cannot believe the fierce competition for PSA 10's pop 1 & 2 currently going on. The prices are crazy. Once those POP's get to 4 or 5 you'll never see that kind of money. I mean were not talking T206's here and rarity issues. These cards were mass produced. I'll ask again who is the person now in bidding wars with Hatch. I fell out in the bidding on Metzger and Nordhagen at $600 and Jackson Todd at $800.
  • Options
    John,
    There were two bidders going at it. I dropped out just above the level you mentioned on two of the cards, then decided to bid a ridiculous number on the 3rd card (just to win it). That bid got buried, too. The two bidders both bid higher. I'll be interested to see who's sets these cards end up in. One of the bidders paid over $2,200 for two '78 commons....so much for a depressed economy. These guys must have money to burn.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
    I think the 534 feedback bidder on the Metzger is our own BBG. His feedback is now 535. He was messing with Geordie, now he is messing with you. Check out the underbidders on the other 2 auctions, he may be there too. If so, you may see his ceiling, as he wasn't the winner.
  • Options
    To the guys that are spending that kind of coin on a PSA 10 of a common player from 1978, money and the possibility that the value of the card may decline in a couple years if afew more examples are found is not really a factor..

• Options
    I see the similar feedback rating. I guess we all want those cards pretty bad. No hard feelings.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Hi,

Any of you '78 experts know where I can buy a PSA 10 '78 George Brett? I have six PSA 9's that all suffer from that notorious black ink spatter. Thanks.

Matt

#2 Current 1975 Topps Mini Set
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    OK. Who outbid me on the latest 1978 Mike Schmidt #360? By $20 none-the less! Bloody hell, I cant believe I cannot get this at a POP 13 for PSA 10 at lower than $450!

Whoever is buying cards at high prices! Please come to me cause I have a few to sell at your high price!

Cheers,
    MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports