Options

College Football 2010

Comments

• Options
    Boise isn't even a real state.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Goot-
    Your arguments are valid and well spoken but Edmund has spoken so it's silly to argue. He is right. he always is right. Just ask him! image
  • Options
    Goot,

Boise State is ranked in the top 5 in the country. In my opinion, that is a major fraud. I have stated the reasons
    why. You say they have built a fine program ?.....that's your opinion. Then why did their AD say "we'll play anybody,
    anywhere, anytime", and then he turned down an up and coming Nebraska program ? If he really would play them
    "anytime, anywhere", then sign the darn contract to play, or shut your mouth. Boise State has lost credibility, and has
    proven that they are trying to cupcake their way to national prominence. I ain't buyin' it.

• Options

<< <i>Goot-
    Your arguments are valid and well spoken but Edmund has spoken so it's silly to argue. He is right. he always is right. Just ask him! image >>

Actually, Gene Stallings (former head coach Alabama), and Pat Dye (former coach Auburn) are right....................................

"This is a grown man's league..."
    It's not often that former rival coaches agree on much, but Gene Stallings and Pat Dye have a consensus when it comes to their feelings on the Boise State football team's chances of competing in the Southeastern Conference.

Sharing his thoughts on the Paul Finebaum radio show prior to the Broncos' Monday night victory over Virginia Tech, Stallings was asked to predict the number of victories Boise could rack up in an 8 game SEC schedule:

"I think they'd win about 3 maybe."

"This is a grown man's league and I think they'd have a hard time week after week."

The former Alabama coach's thoughts were echoed by his former Auburn counterpart:

"Didn't Boise State come to play Georgia a couple of years ago?"

"I tell you what, there's a lot of folks in this conference that can whip you."

"Like Coach said, this is a big boy's league."

• Options
    As usual thanks for being right Edmund. You are the best poster on here! I hope they have a poster of the year for the sports talk board. I bet you will win!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boise isn't even a real state.

at least a sense of humor remains

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> He said, "don't compare Boise to the big schools based on who they play... obviously their schedule is not as tough... but look at the team they are actually putting on the field..... >>

Yeah, look at the team USC had in the Pac-10 with Reggie Bush & Matt Leinart, until they played a quality opponent
    at home against Vince Young and Texas. Everyone thought that USC team was the best of all time. Even better then 1996 Nebraska. 1996 Nebraska killed a good Florida team (who won the national championship the following year against FSU), by a score of 62-26. USC got schooled in their own backyard. Nice try Kirk. >>

The USC vs Texas game was a back and forth battle that couldve gone either way.
  • Options
    The USC vs Texas game was a back and forth battle that couldve gone either way.

It's better not to argue with Edmund. Best to just let him ramble on.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>The USC vs Texas game was a back and forth battle that couldve gone either way.

It's better not to argue with Edmund. Best to just let him ramble on. >>

Dude, really, Bill has even figured out by your 37th post in this thread saying the same thing is lame.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Goot,

Boise State is ranked in the top 5 in the country. In my opinion, that is a major fraud. I have stated the reasons
    why. You say they have built a fine program ?.....that's your opinion. Then why did their AD say "we'll play anybody,
    anywhere, anytime", and then he turned down an up and coming Nebraska program ? >>

Maybe because it was a 2-for-1 deal? Why isn't Nebraska willing to do a straight home-and-home?

Tabe
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oregon could and would Mud Hole anyother team in the USA

I still stand by my prediction.....image

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Goot,

anywhere, anytime", and then he turned down an up and coming Nebraska program ? >>

Maybe because it was a 2-for-1 deal? Why isn't Nebraska willing to do a straight home-and-home?

Tabe >>

because they don't have too, Boise is not in the position to make demands in that situation, and quite frankly, if they are so set on playing anyone, anywhere, anytime, then exactly why wouldn't they take the deal? You quoted the words straight from the AD mouth above yet question why they wouldn't take a 3 game package that certainly exceeds those standards, what don't you understand?
  • Options
    So much for UCLA giving Oregon a game last night. I suppose that means Oregon would beat Texas 100-0!? image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using common logic Oregon would not have a chance against Wisconsin if they meet in the Rose Bowl.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Using common logic Oregon would not have a chance against Wisconsin if they meet in the Rose Bowl.

Because...????
  • Options

<< <i>Using common logic Oregon would not have a chance against Wisconsin if they meet in the Rose Bowl. >>

If wisconsin hopes to make the rose bowl they better beat Iowa this weekend and hope that michigan state loses a game.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Goot,

Tabe >>

because they don't have too, Boise is not in the position to make demands in that situation, and quite frankly, if they are so set on playing anyone, anywhere, anytime, then exactly why wouldn't they take the deal? You quoted the words straight from the AD mouth above yet question why they wouldn't take a 3 game package that certainly exceeds those standards, what don't you understand? >>

Nebraska is the team that backed out if they are not willing to accept a 2 game deal. Why would any team want to accept a away-home-away deal?
  • Options

<< <i>Nebraska is the team that backed out if they are not willing to accept a 2 game deal. Why would any team want to accept a away-home-away deal? >>

Do you have any proof that Nebraska backed out?

And as far as "Why would any team want to accept a away-home-away deal?" If you didn't understand the earlier conversation, Boise State's athletic director stated they would play "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere".

If you still require further explanation, then as part of actually looking to play tougher competition and get the to respectability level with their strength of schedule, then dong that even with Nebraska and one other formidable team(even if it meant for one or two years you play an extra road game) wouldn't that accomplish your goal and keep with the mentality they are projecting with the "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere" slogan?

• Options
    I sort of stand by what I said earlier- its just that Oregon will be the only unbeaten team out of the three that I thought would be playing for the national championship

Iowa beats Wisconsin Saturday

when does Michigan State play Northwestern?

• Options

<< <i>when does Michigan State play Northwestern? >>

12pm EDT, tomorrow (Sat).

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>because they don't have too, Boise is not in the position to make demands in that situation, and quite frankly, if they are so set on playing anyone, anywhere, anytime, then exactly why wouldn't they take the deal? You quoted the words straight from the AD mouth above yet question why they wouldn't take a 3 game package that certainly exceeds those standards, what don't you understand? >>

Oh, I get it. It's Nebraska's way of playing the "well, we tried..." card on behalf of their BCS brethren. Nebraska makes an offer in a no-lose situation. They put up an unfair offer and can either say "See, we tried" or they get a 2-for-1 deal.

We also don't know the particulars of the 2-for-1 deal that Nebraska offered. Was Boise offered nothing for travelling? Etc.

Tabe
  • Options
    Northwestern and MSU have had some wild games over the past 10 years- while I am not suggest NU will win, it should be fun to watch

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Using common logic Oregon would not have a chance against Wisconsin if they meet in the Rose Bowl.

Because...???? >>

Oregon was easily handled by OSU in last years Rose Bowl, Wisconsin pounded OSU. That really has no bearing on an Oregon Wisconsin matchup this year. No one seems to recognize good sarcasm when they see it.
    .image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Oregon was easily handled by OSU in last years Rose Bowl, Wisconsin pounded OSU. That really has no bearing on an Oregon Wisconsin matchup this year. No one seems to recognize good sarcasm when they see it.

Plus Wisconsin killed UCLA in the Rose Bowl... (about 10 years ago) and Oregon killed UCLA this week... oh wait, that means it will be a good game between Wisconsin and Oregon in the Rose Bowl this year!? image
  • Options
    Iowa beats Wisconsin today.

Auburn beats LSU today, along with Alabam winning at Tennessee adds more fuel to the Iron Bowl fire.

Boise State beats Wheel Chair U.
  • Options

<< <i>Auburn beats LSU today, >>

We have one advantage today. LSU has no pressure because the team knows the media's perception. We are expected to lose so in fact, we have nothing to lose. Pressue is always much higher for the team that is "supposed" to win.
  • Options
    Let's go Hawks!
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Auburn beats LSU today, >>

We have one advantage today. LSU has no pressure because the team knows the media's perception. We are expected to lose so in fact, we have nothing to lose. Pressue is always much higher for the team that is "supposed" to win. >>

Yeah, good luck today, and LSU has the athletes to win. Just too bad that Jordan Jefferson hasn't developed into a better QB.
    Auburn has the superior player at QB, but other then that the teams are very evenly matched. I just don't think LSU can
    outscore Auburn. Too many mistakes at the LSU QB position to get them over the top.
  • Options
    Looks as if the Big Ten had some great games today-

Congrats to the Badgers and Spartans
    Both Iowa and NU played agood games- tough ones to loose

• Options

<< <i>Too many mistakes at the LSU QB position to get them over the top. >>

As a freshman Jefferson looked like a future Randall Cunningham except with a brain. Now he loks like a 2nd string arena league QB.
  • Options
    I have been reading this whole thread and don't see how people can say Boise State does not have a great program. No, they are not an SEC level team but they have a great program. They have won about 95% of their games over 10 years or so. Does not matter who they play they are a great program. I am no Boise State fan but I think the negativity toward them is totally unwarranted. They are a great program. Worthy of a national championship game? Probably not but they are a great program for sure. Only an idiot would say they are not a great program.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Gawd! Is College Football great to watch this year or what? I certainly hope Oregon is not number 4 next week in LA.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>They have won about 95% of their games over 10 years or so. >>

Against high school teams.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They have won about 95% of their games over 10 years or so. >>

Against high school teams. >>

And Boise St could very well be one of those high school teams if not for the fact they built a great program.

There is a difference between nationally recognized historic program and "great program". Obviously Boise's achievements will fail to garner any recognition to fans of teams like Texas, USC, Alabama, etc. but to the other 95% of college football that is not ranked in the top 10 every year, Boise St is a great program. It's all relative.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Auburn #1 in the next BCS poll??

Very likely.

As much as I hate to say this ( As an Alabama fan ), Auburn controls its own fate.

If Bama ends up with 1 loss, beats an undefeated #1 Auburn, then wins SEC title game, will they be a lock for the championship game?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Lots of football left to be played.

Nebraska possibly beats Missouri next week.

The Iron Bowl looks like a very important game this year.
  • Options
    Ya, Auburn 1 and Oregon 2 in the BCS this week. I imagine they each control their own destiny. If they each win out they have to play for the championship, no!? I just hope they don't put Boise against TCU (or Utah) again in a bowl game of also rans. It's too bad that the ACC and Big East have automatic BCS qualifiers as that screws up a couple of BCS games usually. I hope they give Boise/TCU/Utah good competition. I would like Boise or TCU against Alabma. Although, TCU is going to have it's hands full with Utah. They have been running it up on offense!
  • Options
    Last week's BCS down below. This week, something like:
    Auburn, Oregon, Boise, TCU, Michigan State, Alabama, Missouri, Utah, Ohio State, Oklahoma

1 Oklahoma 6-0
    2 Oregon 6-0
    3 Boise State 6-0
    4 Auburn 7-0
    5 TCU 7-0
    6 LSU 7-0
    7 Michigan State 7-0
    8 Alabama 6-1
    9 Utah 6-0
    10 Ohio State 6-1
    11 Missouri 6-0
    12 Stanford 5-1
    13 Wisconsin 6-1
    14 Oklahoma State 6-0
    15 Iowa 5-1
  • Options
    auburn is#1 in bcs but not in the top 2 in both human polls.

Herbstreet said Boise would whip Missouri.
  • Options
    Latest BCS is:

1 Auburn .9371 4 3 2611 .9242 3 1350 .9153 1 1 2 1 2 3 1 .980
    2 Oregon .9069 2 1 2818 .9975 1 1463 .9919 8 8 6 10 6 6 11 .740
    3 Boise State .8846 3 2 2668 .9444 2 1383 .9376 6 5 4 7 7 11 7 .780
    4 TCU .8833 5 4 2545 .9009 4 1308 .8868 4 4 1 4 5 7 4 .870
    5 Michigan State .8387 7 5 2250 .7965 5 1175 .7966 3 3 8 3 3 2 2 .930
    6 Missouri .8006 11 8 2061 .7296 8 1060 .7186 2 2 10 2 1 1 3 .960
    7 Alabama .7100 8 6 2220 .7858 6 1152 .7810 12 9 3 8 15 17 15 .570
    8 Utah .7049 9 7 2095 .7416 7 1091 .7397 10 10 7 11 10 13 9 .640
    9 Oklahoma .6691 1 11 1701 .6021 11 871 .5905 5 7 11 5 4 5 5 .820
    10 Wisconsin

Funny, both guys on ESPN.com bowl projects has Oregon v. Boise State for the national championship. I would prefer it would be SEC v. Boise or Oregon but would certainly be interesting if it were something crazy like Boise v. Oregon.
  • Options

<< <i>

Herbstreet said Boise would whip Missouri. >>

Response should have been, "We'll never know Kirk being that Boise won't schedule Big XII teams that offer to play them anywhere, anytime."

Lots of football left to be played. The current standing will certainly change.

This week..............

Michigan State could lose to Iowa.
    Nebraska will beat Missouri.

Ole Miss has an outside shot at upsetting Auburn. Auburn has had some recent big wins and is due for a letdown.

Boise State will most likely beat Crapolla State.
  • Options
    Boise State will most likely beat Crapolla State.

Edmund you are wrong. First time ever! Boise is playing Crapolla TECH this week! image
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I would enjoy seeing a Mizzou win in Lincoln this weekend....tough task on the road.
  • Options

<< <i>I would enjoy seeing a Mizzou win in Lincoln this weekend....tough task on the road. >>

Missouri has pulled many upsets in Lincoln.

1973 (#12) Missouri 13 (#2) Nebraska 12
    1976 (#17) Missouri 34 (#3) Nebraska 24
    1978 Missouri 35 (#2) Nebraska 31

Last time they met in Lincoln #4 Missouri handled Nebraska 52-17.

I'm sure Dr. Tom is a little concerned about this weekend.
  • Options
    A weak pacific ten is hurting the entertaining Oregon ducks according to ESPN.

The No. 2 Ducks are undoubtedly one of the most entertaining teams to watch, with their point-a-minute offense and frenetic pace. But Oregon has defeated only one team ranked in the top 25 of the BCS standings (No. 13 Stanford). The Ducks are still getting hammered in the computer rankings for their soft schedule with an average computer rating of eighth.
  • Options
    I don't understand the weak Pac 10 argument. Or maybe I should say I don't understand the Sagarin ratings which still have the Pac 10 rated 1st. What does Sagarin factor in that flaws his ratings and/or is the Pac 10 better than humans (besides Sagarin) give it credit for!?

CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 PAC-10 (A) = 81.95 81.41 ( 1) 10 81.56 ( 1)
    2 BIG 12 (A) = 79.24 78.98 ( 2) 12 79.30 ( 2)
    3 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 78.12 77.58 ( 3) 12 77.71 ( 3)
    4 BIG TEN (A) = 76.28 75.66 ( 4) 11 75.89 ( 4)
    5 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 72.43 71.78 ( 6) 3 71.81 ( 6)
    6 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 72.30 72.11 ( 5) 12 72.14 ( 5)
    7 BIG EAST (A) = 70.05 70.25 ( 7) 8 70.23 ( 7)
    8 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 69.86 69.84 ( 8) 9 69.90 ( 8)
    9 WESTERN ATHLETIC (A) = 68.91 69.05 ( 9) 9 69.00 ( 9)
    10 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 63.39 63.26 ( 10) 12 63.30 ( 10)
  • Options
    Here are Sagarin's current team rankings. Again, what does he do to "over value" the Pac 10 so much!? For example, he has 4-3 Cal at #19 and Cal has played a couple of HORRIBLE games this year. Very odd. However, USA Today apparently pays this guy good money for his "work!?"

College Football 2010 through games of October 23 Saturday the BCS uses the ELO_CHESS from here
    HOME ADVANTAGE= 2.95 RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | ELO_CHESS | PREDICTOR
    1 Oregon A = 92.59 7 0 68.55( 59) 1 0 | 2 0 | 91.23 6 | 93.37 1
    2 Missouri A = 92.39 7 0 72.45( 30) 1 0 | 2 0 | 94.38 1 | 90.04 5
    3 TCU A = 91.35 8 0 68.39( 62) 0 0 | 2 0 | 90.40 7 | 91.60 3
    4 Oklahoma A = 89.58 6 1 76.63( 12) 0 1 | 1 1 | 92.03 5 | 86.91 11
    5 Boise State A = 88.97 6 0 67.48( 69) 0 0 | 1 0 | 87.35 11 | 90.07 4
    6 Auburn A = 88.96 8 0 73.01( 24) 0 0 | 4 0 | 94.14 3 | 84.96 17
    7 Ohio State A = 88.73 7 1 67.18( 72) 0 0 | 2 1 | 88.23 9 | 88.46 6
    8 Stanford A = 88.63 6 1 72.46( 29) 0 1 | 1 1 | 88.18 10 | 88.29 7
    9 Nebraska A = 87.42 6 1 70.94( 41) 0 0 | 1 0 | 86.81 14 | 87.26 10
    10 Arizona A = 87.17 6 1 72.73( 27) 0 0 | 2 1 | 85.96 15 | 87.71 9
    College Football 2010 through games of October 23 Saturday the BCS uses the ELO_CHESS from here
    HOME ADVANTAGE= 2.95 RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | ELO_CHESS | PREDICTOR
    11 Alabama A = 86.83 7 1 70.49( 46) 0 0 | 1 1 | 83.21 17 | 91.61 2
    12 Florida State A = 86.80 6 1 67.75( 67) 0 1 | 1 1 | 86.92 12 | 85.89 14
    13 Michigan State A = 86.74 8 0 67.90( 65) 0 0 | 2 0 | 94.16 2 | 81.87 25
    14 Utah A = 86.46 7 0 61.76( 113) 0 0 | 0 0 | 86.83 13 | 85.31 16
    15 LSU A = 86.05 7 1 72.79( 26) 0 1 | 1 1 | 88.48 8 | 83.34 19
    16 Wisconsin A = 85.22 7 1 68.76( 54) 1 0 | 3 1 | 92.15 4 | 80.40 30
    17 Iowa A = 85.01 5 2 70.89( 43) 0 1 | 0 2 | 84.31 16 | 84.95 18
    18 Miami-Florida A = 84.48 5 2 74.64( 16) 0 1 | 0 2 | 82.33 21 | 86.31 12
    19 California A = 83.77 4 3 76.84( 10) 0 1 | 1 3 | 80.19 31 | 88.17 8
    20 Southern California A = 83.46 5 2 73.74( 19) 0 1 | 2 1 | 81.13 25 | 85.53 15
    21 Oregon State A = 82.88 3 3 82.89( 1) 1 2 | 2 2 | 82.66 18 | 82.30 22
    22 Oklahoma State A = 82.71 6 1 68.44( 61) 0 1 | 0 1 | 82.55 20 | 82.08 23
    23 South Carolina A = 82.51 5 2 73.06( 22) 0 1 | 1 1 | 79.37 32 | 85.91 13
    24 Arkansas A = 82.11 5 2 72.15( 31) 0 1 | 0 2 | 81.07 26 | 82.42 21
    25 Nevada A = 81.97 6 1 66.61( 77) 0 0 | 1 1 | 81.67 22 | 81.48 27
    26 Illinois A = 80.67 4 3 75.74( 14) 0 2 | 0 3 | 81.48 23 | 79.12 34
    27 Mississippi State A = 80.48 6 2 69.02( 50) 0 1 | 0 2 | 82.56 19 | 77.92 36
    28 Arizona State A = 79.95 3 4 79.36( 5) 0 1 | 0 4 | 77.87 36 | 81.57 26
    29 Baylor A = 79.52 6 2 67.43( 70) 0 1 | 0 1 | 80.76 27 | 77.62 37
    30 Hawaii A = 78.97 6 2 69.48( 49) 0 0 | 1 1 | 77.64 37 | 79.61 33
    31 Virginia Tech A = 78.90 6 2 65.74( 80) 0 1 | 0 1 | 75.09 42 | 83.27 20
    32 Texas A&M A = 78.84 4 3 72.07( 32) 0 1 | 0 3 | 76.13 40 | 81.35 28
    33 Kansas State A = 78.82 5 2 71.03( 40) 0 1 | 0 2 | 81.14 24 | 76.07 43
    34 Texas A = 78.16 4 3 74.56( 17) 1 1 | 1 1 | 80.63 29 | 75.28 45
    35 Air Force A = 78.13 5 3 71.76( 35) 0 2 | 0 2 | 80.47 30 | 75.35 44
    36 Florida A = 78.00 4 3 72.80( 25) 0 0 | 0 3 | 75.07 43 | 80.80 29
    37 Pittsburgh A = 77.32 4 3 72.55( 28) 0 0 | 0 2 | 74.37 48 | 80.14 32
    38 North Carolina A = 77.09 4 3 73.79( 18) 0 0 | 0 2 | 74.96 44 | 78.73 35
    39 NC State A = 76.84 5 2 68.47( 60) 0 0 | 0 0 | 73.56 52 | 80.15 31
    40 Michigan A = 76.49 5 2 68.21( 64) 0 0 | 0 2 | 78.67 33 | 73.81 49
  • Options
    if michigan state can get past iowa sat, i can see a michigan state vs oregon in the championship game. michigan state should move ahead of tcu and boise in the bcs with a win over iowa. i dont think auburn will win out. they still have to play alabama.
  • Options
    if michigan state can get past iowa sat, i can see a michigan state vs oregon in the championship game. michigan state should move ahead of tcu and boise in the bcs with a win over iowa. i dont think auburn will win out. they still have to play alabama.

Don't forget TCU still plays Utah and Utah is in the top 10. If TCU beats Utah that should give them some added credibility and points in the system. I think TCU might be more likely to sneak into the BCS championship game than Boise. Their conference is a little better but not a lot this year. The main thing I want is an underdog in the championship game and hopefully making a game of it! Lots of games left of course.
  • Options
    I don't see MSU in the Championship game.

Oregon... Yes

TCU... Yes

Auburn... Yes

Alabama... Yes

Boise State... No