Home Sports Talk

College Football 2010

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if Oregon finishes unbeaten? And Ohio State as well as Alabama?

Who plays in the Championship game?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    What if Oregon finishes unbeaten? And Ohio State as well as Alabama?

Who plays in the Championship game?

It's a tad early to start playing that game. Right now any of 10 teams "could" be undefeated. Let's play a few more before that happens but, to answer the question, you know it would be Ohio State v. 'bama in the BCS.
    Its early... but it is also possible

Ok, it's possible but just as "possible" and more of a confusion is undefeated Boise, 'Bama, Oregon and Iowa. Then what?
    Iowa plays Ohio State-

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    UCLA Fan here............

So I have nothing to be excited about this year.

Brian
    Iowa plays Ohio State-

Yes. I believe it's at Iowa so I have Iowa winning that game and being one of the undefeated. Not Ohio State.
  • Best game today was Michigan State's OT fake FG TD to beat Notre Dame. Awesome game to watch.
    Never mind about Iowa going undefeated.

I knew Oregon by 52 was a safe bet over Portland State. Ended up 69-0 with no points scored in the 4th. That's a beat down. Of course they are a IAA team but still a beat down.

UCLA got a win. Miracles do happen!

<< <i>
    UCLA got a win. Miracles do happen! >>

No kidding. When I turned the station last night I couldn't believe the score. Not sure what to think other than UCLA being ready and Houston being over rated .

UCLA might get a good win here and there, but when its all said and done they will be barely a .500 team.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Best game today was Michigan State's OT fake FG TD to beat Notre Dame. Awesome game to watch. >>

I was watching that game at a bar here in Michigan, and the place just erupted after the fake field goal. Great game to watch- and as a Spartan fan, it's even sweeter that it happened against the Irish.

• << <i>and as a Spartan fan, it's even sweeter that it happened against the Irish. >>

As any fan it's always better when it happens against the Irish.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>and as a Spartan fan, it's even sweeter that it happened against the Irish. >>

As any fan it's always better when it happens against the Irish. >>

Last night's ND game was one of those that left an empty feeling in the gut. Sucks to lose on a schoolyard play like that. A loss is a loss, but would have much preferred a traditional QB to WR pass for the loss. Watching their coach after the game was like rubbing salt in the wound, as he had already named the play "little giants" or some sort of nonsense, and he acted like a smug little kid that wanted the whole world to know what it was called, so he pointed it out to the interviewer. Unnecessary IMO, but if the shoe had been on the other foot and it had been my team that did it, admittedly I would have loved it. You know how that goes image

Turns out that overnight, the Michigan State coach had a heart attack, I wish him the best. Kind of puts the game in the proper perspective overall. I'm bumming about a loss and the winner has a heart attack, basically I'm not so bummed anymore, sure beats being in his position.

Good luck to you coach, I hope you pull through and make a complete recovery and are back for the next game against the Irish.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    Stanford favored by 4.5 AT South Bend!? That should be a good game. I will be rooting for the Pac 10. If I were a betting man I might take ND though!?

Another interesting one, Nevada favored by 4 AT BYU. If I were a betting man I would take BYU. Nevada coming off a huge win and then going to Provo... I could see BYU sneaking up on the Wolfpack there!

Lastly, Boise State by 17 over Oregon State? I know I am a Pac 10 homer but 17!? I would take Oregon State there if I were a betting man.

What looks good to you this week?

• << <i>What looks good to you this week? >>

I'll be keeping my eye on the 'Bama/Arkansas game. I think people are slowing starting to realize Arkansas is a real threat, and Mallet deserves the Heisman talk he's been getting. What a victory it would be for them to take out the defending National Champs.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Arkansas has me worried. Alabama lost most of its secondary from last year.

If we are able to win, it will be due to our offence. BTW, our O is pretty darn good!

collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
    That should be a good game. One of the "experts" on ESPN is picking Arkansas to win. If Mallet is going to be in the Heisman race this is the time to become a front runner!
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear CrimsonTider,

You don't have anything at all to worry about with Arkansas...

Signed,

The Georgia Bulldogs!

• << <i>Dear CrimsonTider,

You don't have anything at all to worry about with Arkansas...

image >>

Bama will roll, as will LSU against West Virginia. South Carolina @ Auburn will be the closer game. Bama 34-14.
    How can Boise State be favored by 17 over Oregon State? I thought Oregon State gave TCU a pretty good game a couple weeks ago. I am hoping Boise wins but I think they will have a hard time covering that spread.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    The next three Saturdays will be pivotial for the Tide

Arkansas #10
    Florida #9
    South Carolina #12

Tough little stretch, but thats life in the SEC!

To be the best, you got to beat the best.

I highly doubt that we make it through that stretch 3-0. If Bama loses one, then run the table, I believe we still make it to the BCS Championship game.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
    Good win for the Pac 10 today with UCLA over Texas. That surprised the heck out of me. Stanford is beating ND. We shall see about Oregon State tonight. I think it will be a good game.
    After what happened last time these two teams played, I have to say I am surprised UCLA won

<< <i>After what happened last time these two teams played, I have to say I am surprised UCLA won >>

Wow! 2 big wins in a row!! Actually 2 wins in a row! LOL

It doesn't matter what happened the last time the teams played. Both teams are different, different season, new game, etc! That's why they play, right?

Not saying the Bruins are in the same class as any of the Top 25 teams, but they have showed how they can prepare for a game and have a good game plan to be competitive. UCLA has picked up some top players over the last couple of years and it showed. The UCLA defense made some big plays that gave them some great opportunities to build a lead.

Hopefully the Bruins can build some more off the Texas win and finish the year with a winning record. That would be a big improvement over what the expects predicted.

-brian

• << <i>The next three Saturdays will be pivotial for the Tide

Arkansas #10
    Florida #9
    South Carolina #12

I highly doubt that we make it through that stretch 3-0. If Bama loses one, then run the table, I believe we still make it to the BCS Championship game. >>

They played a tough game against Arkansas yesterday. Good win for them. |I think they should win the next two because Florida appears to be down and S. Carolina is grossly over-rated IMO. To be honest, I think the SEC isn't as tough as everyone wants to believe this year. I do think Bama is likely still the best team in the country, though...
    A few curious notes in the Top 25. While I know it doesn't "matter" I still found a few items curious:

- TCU got jumped by Oregon. Probably a sign of more things to come like Boise getting jumped later in the season.
    - Why would Stanford go from 16 to 9 after beating a very marginal Notre Dame team?
    - Stanford jumped Arizona who beat Cal which is probably a good team (take away their game against Nevada).
    - Miami beat Pitt and moved up 3 spots AND jumped Iowa which beat Ball State 56-0. What should Iowa have done differently? Run it up more?
    - Glad to see Nevada make the poll as Boise State needs Nevada to be undefeated and around the top 10 when they play in November.

• << <i>A few curious notes in the Top 25. While I know it doesn't "matter" I still found a few items curious:

- TCU got jumped by Oregon. Probably a sign of more things to come like Boise getting jumped later in the season.
    - Why would Stanford go from 16 to 9 after beating a very marginal Notre Dame team?
    - Stanford jumped Arizona who beat Cal which is probably a good team (take away their game against Nevada).
    - Miami beat Pitt and moved up 3 spots AND jumped Iowa which beat Ball State 56-0. What should Iowa have done differently? Run it up more?
    - Glad to see Nevada make the poll as Boise State needs Nevada to be undefeated and around the top 10 when they play in November. >>

You'll go insane if you actually try to understand the polls prior to Week 10.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Bruins not only won, they pushed Texas all over their home field.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
    What looks interesting to you this weekend?

BYU only favored by 5 at Utah State. When was the last time the line was that close for this game? At least 15 years ago. I would take BYU if gambling weren't so immoral in Utah! image

TCU by 33 over Colorado State? Seems like a lot to me.

UCLA by 27 over Washington State? I am a UCLA fan but sounds like a lot.

USC by only 10 over Washington at USC. That sounds low.

Iowa favored by 7 over Penn State. Hmmmmm, I would think that one would be closer.

As always will be some great games this Saturday!

• << <i>

<< <i>The next three Saturdays will be pivotial for the Tide

Arkansas #10
    Florida #9
    South Carolina #12

I highly doubt that we make it through that stretch 3-0. If Bama loses one, then run the table, I believe we still make it to the BCS Championship game. >>

They played a tough game against Arkansas yesterday. Good win for them. |I think they should win the next two because Florida appears to be down and S. Carolina is grossly over-rated IMO. To be honest, I think the SEC isn't as tough as everyone wants to believe this year. I do think Bama is likely still the best team in the country, though... >>

• << <i>

They played a tough game against Arkansas yesterday. Good win for them. |I think they should win the next two because Florida appears to be down and S. Carolina is grossly over-rated IMO. To be honest, I think the SEC isn't as tough as everyone wants to believe this year. I do think Bama is likely still the best team in the country, though... >>

Everyone tries to unsuccessfully knock the SEC, and all they do is win championships.

Compared to last year these teams are better......Auburn, S.Carolina, Arkansas, Miss State, LSU

These teams are the same.........Kentucky, Florida (not including Tebow), Vanderbilt, Alabama

These teams are worse...........Tennessee, Georgia, Ole Miss

I think overall the SEC is on par with last year. It has six or seven teams ranked in the Top 20, so the voters don't
    think it's a down year for the SEC.
  • Def not a down year. SEC is loaded once again. PAC -10 looks strong right now.
    Great game last night, eh!?
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Everyone tries to unsuccessfully knock the SEC, and all they do is win championships.

Compared to last year these teams are better......Auburn, S.Carolina, Arkansas, Miss State, LSU

These teams are the same.........Kentucky, Florida (not including Tebow), Vanderbilt, Alabama

These teams are worse...........Tennessee, Georgia, Ole Miss

I think overall the SEC is on par with last year. It has six or seven teams ranked in the Top 20, so the voters don't
    think it's a down year for the SEC. >>

It's not an attempt to knock the SEC. I just don't think they are far and above as great as some think anymore. I think other conferences are catching up a little and I don't think that some of the top SEC teams are as strong as they usually are. I never said that I still don't think that the SEC may be the best overall conference. They very well may be. To me, it's too early to tell. But with the SEC, it's always tough to tell until the bowl games because they usually never play anyone until then. image There... that's my knock on the SEC.
    I was listening to one of the ESPN (or Fox) guys today and he was saying the Pac 10 could be above the SEC this season. I have heard similar sentiments this week. I don't agree with that. However, I do think the SEC is close to the pack and, as the season plays out, we will know more. For example, I think it's trendy to say the Pac 10 is up because UCLA steam rolled Texas. It could be Texas was looking ahead to OK and/or it could be that Texas isn't that good. Not sure it says anything about UCLA or the Pac 10. I also think it's hard to say Stanford is "great" because they beat Notre Dame and shut out UCLA. Likewise Oregon scoring 70 against Portland State, New Mexico State, etc... doesn't mean they have a great offense. You need to play legit teams to decide that. Stanford v. Oregon and Florida v. Alabama should both be good games and set the early leader for each conference.
    I really do not see Stanford beating Oregon

• << <i>I was listening to one of the ESPN (or Fox) guys today and he was saying the Pac 10 could be above the SEC this season.. >>

You also have AP voters giving 1st place votes to Ohio State instead of Alabama. Bama won the national championship
    last year, and has many of their returning stars back. The SEC has won 4 consecutive BCS championship games, two of
    which were woodshed beatings to Ohio State. Yet these midwestern voters won't even give Bama the first place vote out
    of pure jealousy. You would think they would just man up and say, OK SEC, you've been winning championship after championship,
    and until you lose it, we'll just give your top dawg the #1 vote until someone takes it away from you.

Now you have guys saying that the Pac-10 could be above the SEC this season. Yeah, I could say that Temple "could"
    be above Alabama this season. You never know, scarlet fever could hit Tusculoosa before the two teams met, so they
    "could" beat their practice squad.
    You also have AP voters giving 1st place votes to Ohio State instead of Alabama. Bama won the national championship
    last year, and has many of their returning stars back. The SEC has won 4 consecutive BCS championship games, two of
    which were woodshed beatings to Ohio State. Yet these midwestern voters won't even give Bama the first place vote out
    of pure jealousy. You would think they would just man up and say, OK SEC, you've been winning championship after championship,
    and until you lose it, we'll just give your top dawg the #1 vote until someone takes it away from you.

Now you have guys saying that the Pac-10 could be above the SEC this season. Yeah, I could say that Temple "could"
    be above Alabama this season. You never know, scarlet fever could hit Tusculoosa before the two teams met, so they
    "could" beat their practice squad.

I agree with you in general but not sure the past should have such a bearing on votes. It's how the voters see the teams in 2010 that matters. Having said that, I don't know what midwestern voters are doing but we all tend to be a bit geo-centric.
    Hey LSU Fan-
    I know you threw something at your TV and broke it after you lost... or should I say almost lost. WOW, what a finish. Tough one for UT fans.
    I saw the last 47 seconds- truly amazing- I don't even know where to start

• LSU fans have been calling for the head of Les Miles for the last 2+ years. Now we are screaming!

How in the hell can you let a total debacle like that with the clock happen AGAIN?!?!

• << <i>I saw the last 47 seconds- truly amazing- I don't even know where to start >>

Tennessee blew it. They had the game won, but blew their last second subsititution. We're all focused
    on LSU's blunder, but UT blew it even more. The game was theirs. And yes, there must be a better head coach
    out there then Les Miles. I doubt a high school football team would have looked worse then LSU did on that second
    to last play.

<< <i>I really do not see Stanford beating Oregon >>

I would have to say that was a very good call. Oregon 52 Stanford 31 As a PAC 10 fan I was hoping for a tight game.

As a UCLA fan I'm glad to see the Bruins get another win and seeing the USC Trojans lose.

-b
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Alabama - Oregon would make a good national title game based on the season so far.

• << <i>Alabama - Oregon would make a good national title game based on the season so far. >>

Oregon is bad defensively, especially stopping the run.

An unbeaten or one loss Bama team should play either Ohio State, Oregon, or Boise State as of now, but
    the best team may be Nebraska, if their offense gets better throughout the season. No one to really challenge
    them in the Big 12 this year besides OU. The Cornhuskers are a sleeper right now, very good on defense like last year,
    and much better on offense.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    I knew Oregon was explosive on offense, but what impressed me yesterday was their depth. They grew stronger as the game went on, especially on defense, they wore Stanford down. Obviously they will never play anyone who has the same caliber of defense as Alabama has during the regular season, but I don't think Alabama will face an offense like Oregon's during the year.
    While the Oregon defense needs time to adjust- they seem to do quite well in the second half.

Alabama looked terrific against Florida

Illinois played their typical tough game against Ohio State- it was a game they actually could have won.

Out of the three, it seems Ohio State will have the biggest challenge to finish the season unbeaten- Iowa at Kinnick Field will be a tall order

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Oregon is bad defensively, especially stopping the run."

Do you watch Oregon games?

The team has allowed 7 points all year in the 2nd half. If the defense has a problem its because Allioti does not make changes before the second half. Also the defense has been put in some bad situations because of mistakes by special teams and turn overs deep in their own territory. Yesterday against Stanford was a prime example in the first quarter.

Ken

• << <i>"Oregon is bad defensively, especially stopping the run."

Do you watch Oregon games?

The team has allowed 7 points all year in the 2nd half. If the defense has a problem its because Allioti does not make changes before the second half. Also the defense has been put in some bad situations because of mistakes by special teams and turn overs deep in their own territory. Yesterday against Stanford was a prime example in the first quarter.

Ken >>

U of O season ticket holder chiming in, I was at that Stanford game yesterday, great game!

If you watch the two "big games" the Ducks have had, Tennessee and Stanford, both of those teams came out and seemed to be able to score at will for the first quarter or two. Then Allioti (Def coord) makes an adjustment and shuts them down. Dont know what he does, but it works.

Against Stanford I think we were just a bit more physical than they were, and into the end of the game they started to get hurt, case in point the WR who got laid out and fumbled.

Oregon's D would not wear down a team like Alabama, and I think Alabama's defense would figure out the Ducks offense, like Ohio did in the Rose bowl last year.

Pac 10 is good, but not that good yet.

Editted to add: Great picture of Sisters Fairlaneman!
  • Wow, bringing Publius out of the woodwork... Long time no see man image

BTW, UF got killed when playing a top opponent, just like I figured they would.

Other pretty obvious observations.

The ACC sucks.
    The Big East sucks more. Way too many new coaches and young QB's in the league this year. Hopefully my Bulls can make some noise in what most expected would be a transition year for us.