Home Sports Talk

College Football 2010

Comments

• CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Alabama and Auburn both will basically have a three game playoff

Round 1: Iron Bowl

Round 2: SEC Championship

Round 3: BCS Championship ( hopefully )

Last year Alabama and Florida were in a play-in game that was the SEC Championship Game. We made Tebow cry!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crapolla Tech is having a rough time right at the moment with the so called "Giant Dodger" Boise State. Have you seen how quiet the one announcer is? He has been anti Boise all year.

Opps....the guy just came out and admitted that this is the FIRST TIME he has seen Boise State in person. He said they were impressive. The world is coming to a end.......

Ken

• << <i>Alabama and Auburn both will basically have a three game playoff

Round 1: Iron Bowl

Round 2: SEC Championship

Round 3: BCS Championship ( hopefully )

Last year Alabama and Florida were in a play-in game that was the SEC Championship Game. We made Tebow cry! >>

Unless auburn runs the table, an sec team will not be playing in the bcs championship this year imo.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    Fairlaneman- It's funny but that was the worst game I have seen Boise play in the last couple years... at least on defense. On offense they made it look easy as usual but their first string defense gave up much more yards and points than usual. I still think TCU could be the hidden gem this year. Boise is getting all the hype and TCU is right there next to them in the rankings. Will be interesting to see what they do against that high powered Utah offense in a couple weeks.
    Iowa by 7 against MSU? I would take Michigan State I think. Iowa to win but closer than 7.

Oregon State by 3 against Cal at OSU? I will take OSU!

Utah by 7 at Air Force? Utah has been scoring 40 a game! I will take the Utes!

What else is going on Saturday?
  • There are obviously a lot of chances for upsets this weekend. Ole Miss has been improving and has Auburn at home.
    Nebraska is very good, and has Missouri at home. Matt Barkley is having a fine season, and USC has Oregon at home.
    Air Force can be very good at times, and has Utah at home. Stanford may have a tough time in Washington. Can a good
    Iowa team lose two games in a row at home ? So look out Michigan State. Of all these possibilities, I like Nebraska's chances the best.
    GAME TIME!

• << <i> Can a good Iowa team lose two games in a row at home ? So look out Michigan State. Of all these possibilities, I like Nebraska's chances the best. >>

Herbstreet had Michigan State ranked high, so they must be a fraud, like Boise is.
    Kid from Nebraska had over 300 yards rushing tonight.

Cam Newton is no joke.

Auburn v. Oregon for national championship!? Wouldn't be a bad game!

Oregon stomped a pretty good $C team tonight.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be a good game....but Alabama, Arizona and OSU would LOVE to play spoiler between now and then!!!

• << <i>

Oregon stomped a pretty good $C team tonight. >>

Oregon stomped an unranked BCS team tonight.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oregon stomped a pretty good $C team tonight. >>

Oregon stomped an unranked BCS team tonight. >>

Thats one way to look at it seems how USC is on probation and excluded from the BCS crap. As usual you are correct.

Ken

• << <i>
    Thats one way to look at it seems how USC is on probation and excluded from the BCS crap. As usual you are correct.

Ken >>

USC would not be ranked in the BCS system with their record and weak schedule strength. They
    are ranked 23rd and 24th in two polls, and would drop lower in the BCS due to their schedule.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ken >>

USC would not be ranked in the BCS system with their record and weak schedule strength. They
    are ranked 23rd and 24th in two polls, and would drop lower in the BCS due to their schedule. >>

As usual you are right. Sagarin has the USC SOS at 10 right at the moment if I am reading it correctly.

Ken
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw most of the Oregon- USC game- Oregon looked terrific and I see them as the best team in the country with Auburn second.

Oregon should make the title game unless they loose the Civil War.

Who they play remains open with 4 possibilities and I am going to rule out a Big Ten Team- and unfortunately, it is for the best.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>. Sagarin has the USC SOS at 10 right at the moment if I am reading it correctly.

Ken >>

Per ESPN............

The No. 2 Ducks are undoubtedly one of the most entertaining teams to watch, with their point-a-minute offense and frenetic pace. But Oregon has defeated only one team ranked in the top 25 of the BCS standings (No. 13 Stanford). The Ducks are still getting hammered in the computer rankings for their soft schedule with an average computer rating of eighth.

• << <i>I saw most of the Oregon- USC game- Oregon looked terrific and I see them as the best team in the country with Auburn second.
    . >>

Haven't I seen this movie before ??? U$C and Reggie Bush were supposed to be the greatest team of all time. They had
    this high powered offense, (and actually their defense was twice as good as Oregons).

Then what happened in their own back yard ??? Someone please remind me of what Vince Young and Texas did ??
    I have seemed to forgot.

• << <i>

Ken >>

Another way to look at it is that Hawaii, Syracuse, and Maryland all got more votes then USC in the new AP poll.
    So you guys are right, USC is a quality opponent if not an absolute juggernaut. image
  • Oregon is a deserved #1.

• << <i>Auburn v. Oregon for national championship!? Wouldn't be a bad game!

>>

Not going to happen. Auburn will not go undefeated imo.
    To discredit U$C shows you do not watch any football (outside your home teams) and are simply making bias statements that show little knowledge of football. $C, before yesterday, had lost two games by a combined total of 3 points. They have a ton of highly acclained recruits and are still loaded. They have just been under the radar due to being on probation. They are a good team. I believe Oregon and Auburn would be an entertaining championship. Long way 'til then though. I still hope Boise or TCU find a way to crash the party!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The USC-Texas game was a fairly decent game- USC outplayed Texas until the last 7 minutes of the game.

Oregon deserves to be at the top- keep in mind, schedules are made years in advance- scheduling Tennessee and basically scoing 45 unaswered points on the road speaks volumes for the team they are- beating USC on the road by 21; scoring 28 unanswered points against Stanford; scoring 60 against UCLA and to say they have a soft schelue really doe not add up- ask Texas and Tennessee.

As much as USC seems to deserve probation, I would like to see them in a post season game just to illustrate that they are still a good team.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

USC-Texas was an epic national championship game and Texas won in the closing minute. It was a great game. Wasn't like Texas steam rolled them or anything. It wasn't like the U$C v. Oklahoma national championship game. Oh my that was a blow out! That was seriously a train wreck that I couldn't stop watching... and I am a UCLA fan so certainly not a U$C fan.
  • The Big East has officially announced they will expand from 8 to 10 football playing members.
    The Big East has officially announced they will expand from 8 to 10 football playing members.

I didn't realize they had any football teams in the Big East!? image
    What's next Goot, are you going to tell us the ACC has football teams too!?
    It's already coming up on the weekend again.

ESPN Gameday at SLC for TCU at Utah. Should be a good game. TCU is favored by 5. I'll take TCU. A convincing win there could line up TCU to be the little guy that makes the BIG game. We shall see....

Boise favored by 21 over Hawaii. I think Hawaii is pretty good. They gave $C all they could handle at the beginning of the season and they beat a very good Nevada team. I will take Boise.

I notice Georgia is playing Idaho State (a FCS school). No, Boise does not play them. Hopefully Georgia can handle them ok. 43 points. I think I will take the potato heads.

Washington at Oregon and the Ducks by 35? Washington is not that bad. I will take Washington with all those points!

Bama by 6 at LSU. I will take Bama.

I really hope that Boise and TCU both go down this week! image

• << <i>

Washington at Oregon and the Ducks by 35? Washington is not that bad. I will take Washington with all those points!
    . >>

Nebraska 56 at Washington 21

Washington had Jake Locker for that game. They will not have him this weekend. The point spread is accurate.

• << <i>

<< <i>Auburn v. Oregon for national championship!? Wouldn't be a bad game!

>>

Not going to happen. Auburn will not go undefeated imo. >>

Oregon vs. Auburn would be a great game. Both play the spread offense, and both defenses know what's coming.
    Auburns defense is better then Oregons, and their offense can light up an Oregon defense that can not stop the run.

Yes, Alabama has a chance to ruin Auburns party. This years Iron Bowl is going to be awesome.

Bama should roll this weekend against LSU.

• << <i>To discredit U$C shows you do not watch any football (outside your home teams) and are simply making bias statements that show little knowledge of football. ! >>

Well, if I don't watch too much football, explain how a pac-10 fan does not know that Jake Locker is not playing this Saturday in Eugene image

U$C doesn't have a win against a Top 25 opponent this year. They lost at home to Washington.
    Washington got absolutely throttled by Nebraska in their own backyard.

Yeah, U$C is a quality opponent. Probably because they beat Virginia 17-14 at the Coliseum this year image
    "Auburns defense is better then Oregons, and their offense can light up an Oregon defense that can not stop the run."

Auburn against the run in the Super Duper Offensive SEC.......1045 yards in 9 games.

Oregon against the run in the NWAS Pac-10............................1003 yards in 8 games.

Edmund your correct as always. Keep spewing....image Just who is your team? Florida State by any chance?

Ken

• << <i>

Just who is your team?

>>

Boise State Broncos. Proud of my alma mater. We play the best, anywhere, anytime.
    So TCU humiliates Utah at Utah. On that same day Nebraska needed overtime to beat Iowa State. Utah beat Iowa State, a few weeks ago, 68-27. Also, Boise beat up on a decent Hawaii team. I am still hoping one of these schools gets a chance in January. We shall see. Alabama losing was a big step. Now need Alabama to beat Auburn in a few weeks. Oregon whooped butt again so they are still heading to the championship game. Lots of games left....
    and UCLA beat the Bark Rats......image

Ken
    and UCLA beat the Bark Rats......

Ya but at 4-5 it's been another disappointing season. image

The best they could hope for is 6-6 and a trip to the toilet bowl. Bummer.
  • Pictures of yesterdays Duck/ Husky "game" from my seats next to the visitor section in the end zone. Great game image Unless your a Husky fan....

Beginning of the game when the Duck mascot rides out in front of the team on the back of a Harley

One of the many TD plays, I forget which one...
    Awesome pictures from Eugene. Very cool! My wife is a Duck alum.

Latest top 10 (or so). Would be a travesty if LSU, Wisconin, et al jumped Boise or TCU. Hope it doesn't happen.

1 Oregon (49) 9-0 1484
    2 Auburn (2) 10-0 1396
    3 TCU (2) 10-0 1391
    4 Boise State (7) 8-0 1366
    5 LSU 8-1 1196
    6 Wisconsin 8-1 1182
    7 Stanford 8-1 1143
    8 Ohio State 8-1 1087
    9 Nebraska 8-1 1055
    10 Michigan State 9-1 868
    11 Alabama 7-2 861
    12 Oklahoma State 8-1 821
  • Nice pictures publius. What's the capacity there ? Doesn't look that big.

I was kind of suprised watching the Stanford-Arizona game that you had two Top 20 pac-10 teams
    and the stadium wasn't even sold out. What's up with the fan base out there ? There were big holes
    in the stadium for that game. Kind of a shocker.

• << <i> Would be a travesty if LSU, Wisconin, et al jumped Boise or TCU. >>

• << <i>Nice pictures publius. What's the capacity there ? Doesn't look that big.
    >>

55,000 I think. But it's known as one of the loudest stadiums in the nation.
    What's up with the fan base out there ?

The fans are horrible out here. Of course there is more to life out west than just high school and college football.
    Great weekend in FBS! Ok, so barring some complete collapse, TCU and Boise State go undefeated. Oregon has 3 games left...Cal,Arizona and Oregon State and Auburn has Georgia & Alabama. IF Auburn finishes undefeated, including an SEC championship game and Oregon wins out, I don't see TCU or Boise St getting in the BCS National Championship game.

• << <i>

<< <i>Nice pictures publius. What's the capacity there ? Doesn't look that big.
    >>

55,000 I think. But it's known as one of the loudest stadiums in the nation. >>

Not sure of the capacity but the attendance at the Husky game was announced at 60,220, it was the 42nd sold out game in a row. Ive only been to two other college stadiums but I would say the major difference in Duck games is its a HUGE party atmosphere. Beers are $9, you cant bring beer in anymore and its very strictly enforced so alot of people leave at half time to go to the parking lot and drink, and just never come back. I was at this game with 5 other guys, 3 guys did exactly that. There are a few student sections and they're usually the most color coordinated and packed, but 80% of the stadium is adults, boosters, etc. Alot of drinking and partying man.

The place is loud, really loud. Alot of that has to do with the noisemakers they sell, these quacker things you blow into are really loud and alot easier than screaming or clapping.

I was at the Stanford game, trust me it was sold out. I get offers for my season tickets all the time, especially the big game day tickets like Standford was.

My wife is an alum as well, and a trustee on the investment committee so we get to hit the presidents tent alot before games, we were in the presidents suite for the UCLA game, free food and booze, that didnt suck at all.

The game I worry about is OSU Beavers, no matter how good either team ever is its always a difficult game. We could be #1, they could be unranked and every Duck fan will tell you thats the ONE game we worry about. Hopefully we go into it healthy and undefeated!
  • The two teams I feel bad for are Auburn and TCU.

TCU because they are a darn good football team and deserve a shot at the championship game, but if Oregon and
    Auburn win out, then they have no chance.

Auburn because they have had a much more difficult road then any other team. Plus they have a championship game
    that Oregon and TCU do not have. Alabama hasn't lost at home in a long time, and Auburn has to go there and win.

Auburn isn't a top notch team like that last four national champions from the SEC, but at 13-1 they are just as
    deserving as an undefeated Oregon or TCU.

Boise State, please call Nebraska.
  • If i had a vote i would put Boise ahead of TCU because they beat TCU in their bowl game last year. And i dont see any reason why they wouldnt this year if they played. If Auburn loses, i would much rather see a Oregon vs Boise state championship game. Boise hasnt lost since 2008.
    If i had a vote i would put Boise ahead of TCU because they beat TCU in their bowl game last year. And i dont see any reason why they wouldnt this year if they played. If Auburn loses, i would much rather see a Oregon vs Boise state championship game. Boise hasnt lost since 2008.

That's a good debate for sure. I think Boise and TCU are very close to each other. I give TCU the slight edge due to their defense. However, it's a very slight edge and they are both very good this year.
    Anybody going to a big college game this weekend?
    Interesting games this weekend:

Utah only favored by 6 at a horrible Notre Dame team!? Seems low to me. I expect Utah to bounce back after their pummeling last weekend.

Oregon at Cal - I think Oregon is going to steamroll them. It's Oregon by 20 but I expect a much bigger beat down. I have heard so many people (including several "experts" on the radio) say this week how great Cal is at home. Really? They beat UC Davis (an FCS school), Colorado, UCLA and ASU. WOW. That's 4 teams that won't even qualify for a bowl game. They got absolutely annilitated by Nevada and U$C. They beat U of A 10-9 which is their only "big" win. I just don't see it. I would take Oregon by 30.

Let me add... I AM SICK OF HEARING ABOUT CAM NEWTON!