Home Sports Talk

College Football 2010

Discuss....

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SEC will be strong, as usual. Big Ten getting better. Boise State has nowhere to go but down in the ratings. Notre Dame and that team up North will be mediocre another year. Actually mediocre is an improvement for both of them.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭
    Some interesting matchups in the first week or two:

LSU vs. North Carolina - in the ATL
    Boise State vs. Virginia Tech - in MD
    Auburn at Mississippi State
    Georgia at South Carolina
    Florida State at Oklahoma
    Michigan at Notre Dame
    Miami at Ohio State
    Oregon at Tennessee
    Penn State at Alabama

Pick-em

• << <i>Some interesting matchups in the first week or two:

Boise State vs. Virginia Tech - in MD
    Auburn at Mississippi State
    Georgia at South Carolina
    Florida State at Oklahoma
    Michigan at Notre Dame
    Miami at Ohio State
    Oregon at Tennessee
    Penn State at Alabama

Pick-em >>

Yeah week 2. USF over UF.

Hahaha just kiddin man, I see us getting a solid whoopin. Unfortunately USF will be in a bit of a rebuilding year, hopefully we can make some real noise in a year or two though.
  • The Penn State @ Alabama matchup is very interesting. Bama is #1, but doesn't return that many starters. And we know
    the history of Jopa's teams playing in big games as the underdog. I think Bama wins, but I don't think it will be easy.

Miami @ tOSU is another interesting one just to see how good each team really is.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I am rooting for Boise State and TCU to go undefeated and make the BCS interesting.

I do not have high hopes for my Pac 10 this year. Looks to be another bad year. Sad that the Pac 10 will be improved when Utah joins up in a year or two.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict that Kent State will win a game this year!!! image
  • I wouldnt be surprised if Iowa goes undefeated. They have 16 starters back from an 11-2 season and a pretty easy schedule. They have ohio state at home.

Alabama still is the team to beat imo

Boise state could go undefeated again.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I am a huge Bama fan and I will freely admit that it will be very difficult for us to repeat.

6 SEC teams have a bye week this year before playing us!

We will have to beat Florida twice to repeat!

I pulling for Bama, but I wouldn't bet on a repeat.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Ten will be better than expected- and the champion could be a surprise

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

As with just about every weekend there should be some good games this weekend. I am interested in:

Oregon State v. TCU
    Boise v. V-tech

Those both look interesting to me. I was surprised to see Boise is favored by a couple points in their game.

What games are you looking forward to this weekend?

<< <i>Big Ten will be better than expected- and the champion could be a surprise >>

Yep. Buckeyes again. Suprise, suprise. image

Ralph

Yep. Buckeyes again. Suprise, suprise.

Ya, but outside the flyover states nobody cares! image
    Lets wait and see how Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State and even Penn State do before we start the nobody cares line.

Even the teams that folks don't expect much from could surprise...

Lets wait and see how Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State and even Penn State do before we start the nobody cares line.

I still don't think people care. Pac 10 is even lower on list of something people don't care about. The Big 10 or the Pac 10 can go win their bowl games but people just don't care. I think the general populace is more interested in the SEC, Big 12 and Boise State/TCU. The top of the MWC may be more relevant than the Big 10 or the Pac 10. Just saying....
    All we can do is sit back and waitand let the arguing beginimage

All we can do is sit back and wait and let the arguing begin

I can't argue with that! image
  • Got my tix to the game this Saturday - GO GATORS!!

• << <i>Lets wait and see how Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State and even Penn State do before we start the nobody cares line.

I still don't think people care. Pac 10 is even lower on list of something people don't care about. The Big 10 or the Pac 10 can go win their bowl games but people just don't care. I think the general populace is more interested in the SEC, Big 12 and Boise State/TCU. q]

Do you have any evidence to back this up? There are big-ten fans all over the country. There is a Big-ten network. The Big-ten rakes in more money than any other conference. Nebraska fans just recently became big-ten fans

• << <i>Some interesting matchups in the first week or two:

>>

The tone of our whole season will be determined in our ifrst game. I actually kind of hope we lose so the fire under Les Miles' hotseat can be turned up a notch.
    Do you have any evidence to back this up?

No real evidence. I do travel a lot and I know a lot of people around the country. I find that, except for my friends in Big 10 country, the others care much more about the other conferences. Obviously, most everybody is most interested in their local conference. Thus people out west tend to be most interested in the Pac 10. However, I would say after that, non-biased (i.e. non alums, etc...) people tend to care more about the SEC and Big 12 than they do the Big 10. It could be people don't like that brand of football as well. I am not sure.

<< <i>

<< <i>Some interesting matchups in the first week or two:

>>

The tone of our whole season will be determined in our ifrst game. I actually kind of hope we lose so the fire under Les Miles' hotseat can be turned up a notch. >>

I don't see LSU losing to North Carolina unless they are playing basketball.

Ralph

So I suspect there are LSU fans that would have rather seen Miles return to UM when he had the opportunity?

• << <i>So I suspect there are LSU fans that would have rather seen Miles return to UM when he had the opportunity? >>

I would have helped him pack and paid for the plane ticket.
    Any surprises yesterday?

I think USC is going to be the Pac-10 "sleeper" although their defense didn't look great last night.

I was happy to see future Pac 10 team, Utah, beat Pitt.

I saw Georgia State won their first game. Never heard of the opponent though.

Not much to get excited about yet though....
  • USC will lose 3-4 games.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The tone of our whole season will be determined in our ifrst game. I actually kind of hope we lose so the fire under Les Miles' hotseat can be turned up a notch. >> >>

<< <i> don't see LSU losing to North Carolina unless they are playing basketball. >>

UNC down 7 defensive starters, as well as their best WR and top 2 RB's gets down to the 6 yard line in the final seconds, and a missed catch by the TE is the only reason heavily depleted UNC did not win this one. LSU escaped that one for sure.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
    I guess TCU will run the table and get snubbed again this year huh?

• << <i>I guess TCU will run the table and get snubbed again this year huh? >>

Alot of teams will get snubbed until they have a playoff, unfortunately.
  • DAMN!!! Now THAT was a good game!! I guess we're going to be forced to listen to this "BCS Buster" talk all season long, but still, The Broncos looked real good...albeit against the only decent team they'll play all year.
  • They play Oregon state in a few weeks.

<< <i>They play Oregon state in a few weeks. >>

Hawaii will probably not be an easy game either.
  • Yeah, the announcers were talking about the Oregon State game in Bosie last night...hmmm, I dunno, I really don't see them ( or Hawaii) as being a challenge for Boise. Maybe I'm wrong, and if so I'll admit it. But a one loss SEC Champion, or one loss Big 12 team, in my opinion has more of a claim to the Title game than Boise State with their schedule this year. And I understand some may disagree with me. No slight on them, they were VERY impressive last night. I just don't think that schedule makes them title game worthy.
    I am glad Boise State won and am hopeful of it creating some BCS "controversey" at the end of the season. However, let's wait until the season plays out before we start comparing teams/resumes. A lot depends on how Boise State beats their inferior competition, if there are undefeated teams in power conferences, etc..... To me, it's impossible to know at this point. I hope Boise State throttles everybody on the schedule and is #1 in the country at the end. The BCS would either be proven to be a legitimate system or not if they let that team into the championship game. I hope it comes down to them against one loss Ohio State, 'bama, etc.... Would be fun to see the chaos. However, long way to go.
  • Going on the road and facing a quality top 10 team the first game of the year is very difficult to do in college football. Boise shouldve won the game fairly easily if it werent for those missed field goals.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, the announcers were talking about the Oregon State game in Bosie last night...hmmm, I dunno, I really don't see them ( or Hawaii) as being a challenge for Boise. Maybe I'm wrong, and if so I'll admit it. But a one loss SEC Champion, or one loss Big 12 team, in my opinion has more of a claim to the Title game than Boise State with their schedule this year. And I understand some may disagree with me. No slight on them, they were VERY impressive last night. I just don't think that schedule makes them title game worthy. >>

And suppose that 1-loss SEC champion's loss is to, say...Duke.

What then?

Tabe
    What upsets you have this weekend?

TCU is favored by 50 over Tennessee Tech. I don't know if TCU can cover that spread! image

Seriously though....

Oregon is favored by 12 over the Vols at Knoxville. I like Oregon for the win but not the 12.

I just don't have any outright upsets to predict this week. You?
    USF will beat the Florida Gators!
    USF will beat the Florida Gators!

Good luck. A couple touchdown underdog.

• << <i>USF will beat the Florida Gators! >>

Oregon is playing with intensity and is out to make a statement- I think they cover the spread this week- the Ducks seem to have it together on the road- they did for the most part last year and I don't think that will change

I guess Boise State's win over V-tech wasn't as impressive as previously thought.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess Boise State's win over V-tech wasn't as impressive as previously thought >>

And even sadder, it may still represent Boise State's toughest opponent this year--and the fact that they did not even take the final lead of that game until there was only just over 1 minute left in the game.image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

• << <i>

<< <i>USF will beat the Florida Gators! >>

image >>

Laugh all you want but you guys will get rolled come SEC play, or at least when you play the top SEC squads. You beat a rebuilding Big East team that literally handed the game to you guys. I didn't expect USF to win, but those turnovers were definitely a let down. The game was in grasp, we just gave it away. I'm definitely excited for the future of this program though.
    Ducks are not doing well...

• Michigan's QB has almost 900 yards in 2 games.
    seems I spoke too early- 45 unanswered points-

Shoelace makes it happen- great ability

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>USF will beat the Florida Gators! >>

image >>

Laugh all you want but you guys will get rolled come SEC play, or at least when you play the top SEC squads. You beat a rebuilding Big East team that literally handed the game to you guys. I didn't expect USF to win, but those turnovers were definitely a let down. The game was in grasp, we just gave it away. I'm definitely excited for the future of this program though. >>

No, I don't mean to disrespect USF, they've come along way. Still think it was a mistake for them to fire Leavitt but what's done is done. I'm sure Holtz will do well, and yes I could see them being a force in a few years.

As for The Gators it doesn't look like this will be a banner year if the first two games are any indication. John Brantley is a good QB, but poor play calling and receivers dropping passes doesn't help. Thankfully Jeff Demps looks to be an early Heisman candidate. Yeah, I said it image

• << <i>Thankfully Jeff Demps looks to be an early Heisman candidate. Yeah, I said it image >>

Demps is a STUD! My roommate doesn't follow much college football outside of USF (he's from Upstate NY) and had never heard of Demps, lets just say he was amazed with his speed! Once he gets in the open field its game over.
    Oregon by only 52 against Portland State? I got to take the Ducks in that one!

Who you picking this week?