Home Sports Talk

College Football 2010

Comments

• << <i>Let me add... I AM SICK OF HEARING ABOUT CAM NEWTON! >>

This story seems to be a joke. The story claims that after Cam committed to Auburn, Cam told a Mississippi State recruiter
    that his dad made him go to Auburn because "the money was too much". Now what half-brained kid would make
    such a statement to put his dad in possible trouble. Would he really tell a non-family member that his dad was
    violating NCAA violations that could possibly get Cam and his dad in trouble ? Is Cam that naive ???

Seems strange to me.
  • Oregon will beat Cal like a rented mule.

Georgia will lose to Auburn, setting up a great Iron Bowl. A very good Auburn team against a very good
    Bama team that doesn't lose that much at home.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cal football is like Sybil. Two personalities.

You know, two separate teams.

One horrible and one very good.

You just never know which of the two teams will take the field.

When Cal plays a lousy team, it usually plays down to the level of their opponent.

When Cal plays a good/great team Cal can either play out of this world and win; or it can fold up like a cheap tent.

Oregon has had Cal's # for the past few years. The game on Saturday in Berkeley at Memorial Stadium in Strawberry Canyon could be an upset for the ages. Or it could be a stinker with Cal getting beat by 40+ points. I guess that it why one plays the game.

If Oregon does lose one game and Bama hands Auburn a loss, would an undefeated Boise State and an undefeated TCU have a clear path to the BCS title game; or would a one loss SEC, PAC 10 or Big Ten school get one or both slots in the game?

I say that an 8 game playoff for the championship should be adopted. One day I think it will, but maybe not for many years.

• << <i>Cal football is like Sybil. Two personalities.

When Cal plays a lousy team, it usually plays down to the level of their opponent.

When Cal plays a good/great team Cal can either play out of this world and win; or it can fold up like a cheap tent.

Oregon has had Cal's # for the past few years. The game on Saturday in Berkeley at Memorial Stadium in Strawberry Canyon could be an upset for the ages. Or it could be a stinker with Cal getting beat by 40+ points. I guess that it why one plays the game.

If Oregon does lose one game and Bama hands Auburn a loss, would an undefeated Boise State and an undefeated TCU have a clear path to the BCS title game; or would a one loss SEC, PAC 10 or Big Ten school get one or both slots in the game?

I say that an 8 game playoff for the championship should be adopted. One day I think it will, but maybe not for many years. >>

TCU vs BOISE could happen. Still alot of ball to be played.
  • i'm a huge tiger fan and am anticipating how the camgate will resolve. i see we have some bama fans on here and i have the upmost respect for them also

• << <i>i'm a huge tiger fan and am anticipating how the camgate will resolve. i see we have some bama fans on here and i have the upmost respect for them also >>

Welcome to the boards. image
  • forgot to mention an "LSU" tiger fan, haha. Anyone think they have a chance at the Nation Championship?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stranger things have happened... as a matter of fact the whole LSU season is hard to accurately describe

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cal football is like Sybil. Two personalities.

Oregon has had Cal's # for the past few years. The game on Saturday in Berkeley at Memorial Stadium in Strawberry Canyon could be an upset for the ages. Or it could be a stinker with Cal getting beat by 40+ points. I guess that it 27-why one plays the game. >>

Cal is definitely a Jekyll and Hyde team but Oregon has not had their number recently. If anything it's the other way around prior to last year's slaughter by the Ducks.

2009 Ore 42-3
    2008 Cal 26-16
    2007 Cal 31-24
    2006 Cal 45-24

I'll be at the game tomorrow rooting my Bears on but I honestly can't see any way that we pull this game out. When our starting QB went down 2 weeks ago, any hope of outscoring the Ducks went out the window.

• << <i>forgot to mention an "LSU" tiger fan, haha. Anyone think they have a chance at the Nation Championship? >>

No, not at all, but LSU had some miracles take place when Jacob Hester and boys won it all, so it ain't over till it's over.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me add... I AM SICK OF HEARING ABOUT CAM NEWTON! >>

No kidding!!

Sad situation for Cam Newton if he's done nothing wrong . . Nothing has been found or proven yet, and many of the Heisman Trophy voters are now saying they don't want another Reggie Bush situation again. Newton will be losing votes even though nothing has been proven yet.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    For Heisman voters to not vote for Cam, at this point, is insane. Nothing has been proven against him. He IS the best player.

Oregon had their hands full. Cal is a bizare team this years.

Looking forward to 'bama v. Auburn. Not sure who I want now. If Auburn loses then maybe TCU or Boise could sneak into the championship game. However, I would love to see Oregon v. Auburn as that should be a great game.

We shall see....

Fun stuff!

• << <i> If Auburn loses then maybe TCU or Boise could sneak into the championship game. ! >>

So just wondering what exactly are Boise St and TCU's signature wins this season?

Is is TCU's win over a 4-5 Oregon St team or that pounding they gave the over ranked Utes last week which seems to have lost just a little bit of luster after they just got smoked by the Irish.

Now Boise St also beat up on that crap 10 softie so I guess you have to pick that win at VT even though they lost at home the following week to a D2 school thats 5-5 right now.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Here is my two cents on Camgate. Cam is guilty of having a father who used poor judgement. I believe that the actions of his father will result in his ineligability, which is a crying shame.

I believe that Auburn will be completely cleared in this, even though they may have to vacate some wins.

If you think that you are tired of hearing about this, try living in Alabama!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>forgot to mention an "LSU" tiger fan, haha. Anyone think they have a chance at the Nation Championship? >>

As long as Les Miles is the coach anything is possible for LSU.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Any predictions on the auburn vs bama game? I am taking bama.

• << <i>Any predictions on the auburn vs bama game? I am taking bama. >>

Vince Young and Cam Newton seem to share that ability to lead their team to victory. This looks like Texas all over again,
    except that Auburn outside of Cam Newton is just a pretty decent football team, and would probably be 6-3 without him.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    here is how I hope things work out.

Bama beats Auburn in a squeaker.

Auburn beats SC soundly to win SEC championship.

Auburn ends up #2 in BCS poll as a one-loss SEC champion.

Auburn beats Oregon for the 5th straight national championship!!!

A one-loss Bama was considered a shoe in for the championship game, does the same go for Auburn?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is how I hope things work out.

Bama beats Auburn in a squeaker.

Auburn beats SC soundly to win SEC championship.

Auburn ends up #2 in BCS poll as a one-loss SEC champion.

Oregon beats Auburn for their 1st national championship!!!

A one-loss Bama was considered a shoe in for the championship game, hopefully the same goes for Auburn? >>

A one-loss Bama was considered a shoe in for the championship game, does the same go for Auburn?

I don't think so. I think Bama as defending champion and what people thought was a great team had a leg up on Auburn which some people see as a team with a one man offense and no defense.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now Boise St also beat up on that crap 10 softie so I guess you have to pick that win at VT even though they lost at home the following week to a D2 school thats 5-5 right now. >>

It's not out-of-line to suggest that VT lost that following week because of the loss to Boise. Boise beat them up and they were flat. Not unheard of though it certainly doesn't lessen the embarrassment of the loss for VT.

Then again, VT is now 8-2, unbeaten in their conference, and on their way (probably) to a BCS bowl game.

How many other teams in the top 10 have a win over the conference champs of a BCS conference? Maybe Wisconsin, if you count OSU as the Big Ten champs, which they can't be if both schools win out.

Losing to a D2 school is bad - really bad - but it's not completely unforgivable. Schools have off-weeks and recover to have good seasons all the time. Everybody remembers Michigan's loss to Appalachian State. Few remember that Michigan dominated Tim Tebow & Florida in the Citrus Bowl that same season.

Tabe

• << <i> Everybody remembers Michigan's loss to Appalachian State. Few remember that Michigan dominated Tim Tebow & Florida in the Citrus Bowl that same season.
    >>

That bowl game was definitely a good one. I was fortunate enough to go with a buddy whose parents are Gator STH's and had a great seat. Tebow had a great game, Harvin torched the Michigan defense, it was Lloyd Carr's final game, and Henne had a pretty good game too if I remember.

I haven't had a chance to look... what's on the slate this weekend?
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Not much. Biggest game is probably Stanford-Cal or Iowa-Ohio State. Maybe Texas A&M-Nebraska. Everything else is craptastic.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

• << <i>Not much. Biggest game is probably Stanford-Cal or Iowa-Ohio State. Maybe Texas A&M-Nebraska. Everything else is craptastic. >>

I guess you weren't paying attention to the Big East. South Florida vs. Pitt. 6-3 vs. 5-4. "Primetime" Noon kickoff on ESPN2 down here in Tampa. Winner gets that much closer to winning the Big East, aka THE only conference that matters.

Anyways, this week will suck but the next weekend will more than make up for it. Tons of great matchups that weekend. And even if the teams are having off years, still fun matchups (FSU-UF, USC-ND, etc.)
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't had a chance to look... what's on the slate this weekend? >>

Notre Dame vs Army @ Yankee stadium!!! image Here come the Irish!

GO IRISH!!

• << <i>

Notre Dame vs Army @ Yankee stadium!!! Here come the Irish!

GO IRISH!! >>

Unfortunately it's not 1950 or else this would be the game of the year.
    Illinois v Northwestern at Wrigley Field

• JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Illinois v Northwestern at Wrigley Field >>

Its a shame Dan Persa was injured last week. I feel sorry for the kid and Northwestern. Still be fun to watch @ Wrigley.
    Both the Yankee Stadium and Wrigley games are very cool. Maybe they can do UCLA v. USC at Dodger Stadium next year!?

• << <i>

<< <i>Illinois v Northwestern at Wrigley Field >>

Still be fun to watch @ Wrigley. >>

Not anymore...

Link

That will be flat out strange.
    This change in the Wrigley game is silly. They obviously should not have scheduled a game if it didn't fit. how the heck did the Bears play there!? Was the field different back then?
  • Boise will play Georgia in 2011 and Ole Miss in 2014....that's a step in the right direction!

Link
    I suspect they will have to plan ahead for the next one- as iconic as Wrigley is, it just seems this type of issue should have been detected- interesting game though- It is unfortunate tha the NU QB is out for the remainder of the season

Lots of good games starting tonight with Texas v. A&M. Boise plays tomorrow. 'Bama/Auburn. Lots of fun! Anybody going to any of the big games? I was thinking about driving over to Reno on Friday for the Boise game but am sick right now so don't feel like sitting outdoors for 3 or 4 hours. Happy turkey day to y'all!
  • THE game saturday at noon. Go Bucks.
    I would say THE game this year is Alabama v. Auburn. Michigan v. Ohio State is meaningless, outside of Michigan and Ohio, as usual.
    Michigan v. Ohio State is meaningless, outside of Michigan and Ohio, as usual.

Very shortsided comment-

• << <i>I would say THE game this year is Alabama v. Auburn. Michigan v. Ohio State is meaningless, outside of Michigan and Ohio, as usual. >>

Wrong. Ohio state is playing for a sixth straight conference championship and Rose bowl birth. Michigan is playing for a better bowl game if they win. Ohio state Michigan is THE game because it is the most prestigious. Any other year nobody outside of Alabama care about auburn vs alabama and being bama has lost twice, its not as big of a game as it was a few weeks ago.
    A conf title and a trip to the Rose Bowl is only important to the Big 10 schools and the lesser Pac 10 schools (like Cal) who haven't gone in 100 years or so. I don't think of Ohio St v. Michigan as "prestigious" either. That's funny.

Now, Alabama v. Auburn was an awesome game! Wow, tale of two halves. Too bad there isn't a playoff.
    larryallen73-

I continue to be surprised by the complete misunderstanding you seem to have about traditional and classic College Football rivals-
    and even conference championships in the old Pac 8 new Pac 10 and the Big Ten-

Since 1947, the Rosebowl has many times either helped crown or prevent a team from either the Pac 8 Pac 10 or the Big Ten from being national champs- The OSU-UM game has had National ramifications many more times than it has not. The legacy of Woody and Bo lives...

Since you brought up Cal, ever hear of Lynn Waldorf?

Coin-
    In my lifetime (I am in my early 40's) the Rose Bowl WAS (past tense) a big deal. Growing up in LA in the 70's and 80's it was huge every year to see who would win the Pac 10 (one of the LA teams about 75% of the time) and, of course, curious who would come visit from the Big 10. In fact, I lived right near the Century Plaza Hotel which always had a ton of Big 10 people staying at with their flags flying on the balconies. I remember it well. However, for me, and at least people I know, the luster is off of the Rose Bowl now with the BCS. This is because the Rose Bowl does not always have the Pac 10 (and Big 10) champ and, beyond that, of course the BCS championship is what most people play for and cares most about. In fact, it could be the second place team from the Pac or Big going to the Rose Bowl. I am sure Cal or Minnesota would still be excited but going to the Rose Bowl as a RUNNER UP... talk about a hollow victory! Thus, in my opinion, the Rose Bowl is not nearly as important as it once was. Likewise, Ohio State/Michigan is not as big of a deal as 10 different SEC games every year NOW (not during ancient historical times). The Ohio State/Michigan game used to be a big deal but it's just not an important game now in modern times. It's just my perspective. I obviously could be wrong.

• << <i>A conf title and a trip to the Rose Bowl is only important to the Big 10 schools and the lesser Pac 10 schools >>

Like it or not the Rose bowl is the grandaddy of them all image

Not the case this year, but there have been lots of Ohio state michigan games in the last 20 years where the national championship was on the line. 2006 was the last.

That said, the sec is still the best conference pound for pound in the last 5 years.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Great late game on the Left Coast tonight. Hope some of you got a chance to watch the Boise/Nevada thriller. Boise's kicker may want to find a safehouse for a few.

Oregon looks vulnerable. Not liking that at all. Hopefully they show up strong in Corvallis next week.

• << <i>

That said, the sec is still the best conference pound for pound in the last 5 years. >>

The last 5 years ????

The SEC leads the Big 12 in all time head to head matchups with a 24-17-0 record (.585)
    The SEC beat the Big 12 two times in the BCS championship game. Florida beat Oklahoma
    and Albama beat Texas............

The SEC holds an 259-126-10 (.668) all-time advantage against the ACC.
    In the past 12 years (1998-2009) the SEC leads the ACC in head-to-head games with a 49-39-0 (.557) record.

The SEC leads the Pac-10 62-39-5 (.608).

Through 2009, the SEC leads the Big Ten with a 67-48-2 all-time record.
    That includes the two Ohio State thrashings in the BCS national championship games.
  • Bowls Wins Losses Ties Win %

SEC 358 196 153 9 .560
    Pac-10 200 105 93 2 .530
    Big Ten 216 101 114 1 .470
    ACC 173 84 87 2 .491
    Big 8 127 63 63 1 .500
    Southwest 151 63 80 8 .444
    Big 12 100 49 51 0 .490
    Big East 82 46 36 0 .561
    WAC 105 44 60 1 .424

1. Isn't it funny how the SEC almost has as many bowl wins as the Big Ten and Pac 10
    have appearances.

2. Isn't it funny how the SEC has more bowl wins than any other conference
    has appearances.

• << <i>

2. Isn't it funny how the SEC has more bowl wins than any other conference
    has appearances. >>

Not funny at all. Most of the bowl games are played in the south. For example, the ohio state vs LSU game you mentioned in 2008 was played in LSU's back yard. Here's some more stats for you.

SEC record vs Notre Dame - 12-19

SEC vs Michigan - 5-19-1

SEC vs USC - 10-17-1

SEC vs Nebraska - 4-12

SEC vs Penn state - 17-17

SEC vs Texas - 16-34-2

SEC vs Oklahoma - 9-19-3

Penn state and USC has the most bowl wins

Ohio state has the most BCS appearances.

USC has the most BCS bowl wins
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    The majority of the games between the SEC vs Penn State covers the time they spent as an Independent and of course OSU has NOTHING to talk about when playing an SEC team in any bowl.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    The Big Ten could not get an invitation to another bowl other than the Rosebowl until the mid to late 1970s

larryallen73-

I suspect we clearly have a difference of opinion as to what constitutes modern times and I will leave it at that