Home Sports Talk

College Football 2010

Comments

• << <i>

Against Stanford I think we were just a bit more physical than they were, and into the end of the game they started to get hurt, case in point the WR who got laid out and fumbled.

! >>

Good observation, and that's why a game against a physical Nebraska would be a compelling matchup.

And let's not give Alabama an undefeated season just yet. They have some tough games ahead.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    And let's not give Alabama an undefeated season just yet. They have some tough games ahead.

I agree 100%.

Alabama has 6 games left in the SEC and every single one will be against a team coming off a bye week! Each team will have an extra week of coaching up their players, putting in trick plays, & getting well. All I hope is that Bama takes them one at a time and avoids the big head.

BTW, the Al-Fla game was closer than what the score indicated. Florida did make 5 deep drives on our D. We were fortunate to hold them to just 2 field goals on those five drives.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    Alabama has 6 games left in the SEC and every single one will be against a team coming off a bye week!

That is amazing. Tougher to beat teams coming off a bye week.
    What's on tap this weekend? Anybody going to any games? I wish I wasn't busy with the kid's soccer games because would love to drive over to the Bay Area and hit UCLA at Cal at 12:30 and then $C at Stanford at 5:00. Would make for a fun day of football!
  • I would not be shocked to see Iowa State pull off the upset this weekend. Utah has been tested once by a mediocre team and had to go to overtime to win at home.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

• << <i>What's on tap this weekend? Anybody going to any games? I wish I wasn't busy with the kid's soccer games because would love to drive over to the Bay Area and hit UCLA at Cal at 12:30 and then $C at Stanford at 5:00. Would make for a fun day of football! >>

I'll be watching my USF Bulls take on Syracuse for our homecoming game on Saturday afternoon here in Tampa. It's a noon kickoff so it will be hot but the weather should be beautiful. Plus it means the girls will be wearing less image

I know Syracuse hasn't been great but I'm really curious to see how USF will fare in the Big East this season and this game will paint that picture pretty clearly.
    Plus it means the girls will be wearing less

Goot wins again. Damn college kids have the life. I am jealous! Have fun! Enjoy the 4... or 5 years while you can!
  • fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's on tap this weekend? Anybody going to any games? I wish I wasn't busy with the kid's soccer games because would love to drive over to the Bay Area and hit UCLA at Cal at 12:30 and then $C at Stanford at 5:00. Would make for a fun day of football! >>

I'll be going to the Cal-UCLA game. Which of these two Jekyll and Hyde teams is gonna show up to play? For Cal, injuries and inconsistent QB play have been a killer this year. I haven't had a chance to see much of UCLA but based on the scores week to week, I can't figure out how good they really are.
    UCLA has been all over the board. Texas was their only really good game... or maybe Texas was asleep!? I think Cal just had one really bad game (Nevada). I think Cal is favored by 7 and I would expect Cal to cover that.
  • fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>UCLA has been all over the board. Texas was their only really good game... or maybe Texas was asleep!? I think Cal just had one really bad game (Nevada). I think Cal is favored by 7 and I would expect Cal to cover that. >>

I think UCLA probably surprised Texas with their new Pistol offense. Just a guess though since I didn't see the game. That is what happened to Cal against Nevada - they didn't seem to have a good game plan to stop the option and it cost them. Our best LB missed that game with an injury but I can't really say that him playing would have given us the win.

We'll see about Saturday. UCLA has dealt us a couple of painful losses in recent years and Kevin Riley has been playing poorly lately. Keep your eye on Cal freshman WR Keenan Allen. He's barely played the last 2 games due to injury but has had 2 weeks to heal due to the bye week. This kid is a stud who I think will definitely be playing on Sundays in the future.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebraska opened a huge can of whoopass on Kansas State! Looking forward to a Nebraska-Oklahoma Big 12 Championship game -- a cool way to end Nebraska's Big 12 days.
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I was happy with the Cornhusker win....hope they make it a great last season in the Big12!!
    Game day bump....
    The SEC hype machine is already started... "does a 1 loss Alabama leapfrog a 0 loss Oregon or Nebraska?"
    I believe the so-called hype machine is rooted in certain facts.

Last four national championships have been won by SEC teams.

Every year 5 to 6 of the top 10 recruiting classes go to SEC schools.

Fair or not, teams full of 5-stars get a little more respect than those composed of 3-stars.

A playoff would end all of this debate, plus would help the SEC. Many years the final game would end up being played between SEC schools, but at least the underdogs would have a chance.

A one loss SEC team will more than likely have its ticket punched to NC game this year. Bama will probably have another loss, we lost nine of defensive starters from last year and it shows. We cannot put pressure on the QBs, only six sacks this year. That allows our secondary to get picked apart.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Crimsontider-

I doubt that two teams from the SEC would play for the Championship- Other conferences have excellent and worthy teams.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>Sorry Crimsontider-

I doubt that two teams from the SEC would play for the Championship- Other conferences have excellent and worthy teams. >>

WTF are you talking about? We will never see a BCS title game with teams from the same conference thanks to conference championship games.
  • LSU still plays Auburn & Alabama back to back. Bama plays Auburn, so Bama still controls it's own destiny
    for a trip to the SEC championship game. Both LSU and Auburn are very good, but also very beatable by Bama.

I find it ironic that Boise State is ranked higher then Nebraska (not only because Nebraska is very good on offense and defense),
    but because Boise State refuses to sign Tom Osborne's proposal to play each other.

Ohio State is going to have a tough one at Wisconsin next weekend.
    I find it ironic that Boise State is ranked higher then Nebraska (not only because Nebraska is very good on offense and defense),
    but because Boise State refuses to sign Tom Osborne's proposal to play each other.

I do not know the details with Nebraska so I can not refute what you are saying but do the research and you will find Boise State has been trying to play a lot of big schools and the big schools won't no part of going to Boise. The schools won't do a home and home. This includes SEC schools. Do your research.
    Coinkat,

I was referring to what may happen if there was a playoff system. A 8 or 16 team playoff would most likely contain more than one SEC team, thus creating the possibility of an all-SEC final. This has happened many times in basketball, not with the SEC but other conferences.
    << Sorry Crimsontider-

I doubt that two teams from the SEC would play for the Championship- Other conferences have excellent and worthy teams. >>

WTF are you talking about? We will never see a BCS title game with teams from the same conference thanks to conference championship games.

I was responding to this:

A playoff would end all of this debate, plus would help the SEC. Many years the final game would end up being played between SEC schools, but at least the underdogs would have a chance.

Koin,

A 16 team playoff in college football would more than likely eliminate or take the place of any conference championships.

A 16 team playoff would also end all of the BCS nonsense.

At what point in time did you believe that I was talking about the BCS, I was saying that a playoff system replacing the current BCS would benefit the SEC and at times end up with an all-SEC championship game.
    I knew you were not writing about the BCS at which time you suggested that:

Many years the final game would end up being played between SEC schools.

It seems clear that you were writing about a play off system- while a title game could be between two SEC teams- I just don't see that happening as often as you seem to imply

• << <i>I find it ironic that Boise State is ranked higher then Nebraska (not only because Nebraska is very good on offense and defense),

I do not know the details with Nebraska so I can not refute what you are saying but do the research and you will find Boise State has been trying to play a lot of big schools and the big schools won't no part of going to Boise. The schools won't do a home and home. This includes SEC schools. Do your research. >>

I've done my research, and I was pointing to the fact that Boise refuses to play Nebraska at home and in Lincoln, Neb.
    Tom Osborne offered, and Boise will not respond. I was not pointing to any other scenario.

We'll play anybody, anywhere, anytime....yeah right.
  • I'm sure you've researched this fact too...............

You think AD's know about this ? You betch ya.
    edmund-
    I am not saying you are wrong. I also have looked into this issue before, with other schools not named Nebraska, and found a number of big name schools (including SEC schools) have turned Boise down. Some would accept having Boise come to them but they don't want a home and home since a) they have a good chance of losing and b) there is not great revenue since the stadium is small. It's too bad, and a little surprising, Boise wouldn't accept Nebraska as they haven't been very good in recent years. Though undefeated I don't think Nebraska is "great" this year either. I would think Boise would have a good chance of beating Nebraska this year.
  • I don't understand why everyone thinks this program is any good ? They won't answer Oklahoma or Nebraska's offer to play.

Do you know Boise's record against quality opponents the last four years ? 4-4

They've beat Oregon, Oregon State, OU, and Va-Tech (who lost to James Madison)
    They lost to Georgia, Washington, Oregon State, and Boston College.

So they are a mediocre 4-4 when play "quality" schools. No wonder they want nothing to do with Nebraska.
    They'd rather BYU their way into a national championship game, and take all the blind public with them.

Let's see Boise do what Bama has had to do this year... Let them play South Carolina, Florida, and Arkansas three weeks
    in a row. Then have games against LSU and Auburn down the road.

Boise is a joke, a mediocre program over the past four years. Funny thing is that Boise State and TCU have the best
    chance of going undefeated the rest of the season. Only maybe Nebraska has a chance as well. You may get your wish
    of seeing them in the big game.
  • I look at their total body of work against decent teams over the last six years and just shake my
    head at how high they are ranked.

Not impressive

• << <i>I don't understand why everyone thinks this program is any good ? They won't answer Oklahoma or Nebraska's offer to play.

Do you know Boise's record against quality opponents the last four years ? 4-4

They've beat Oregon, Oregon State, OU, and Va-Tech (who lost to James Madison)

>>

They also beat TCU, so they have proven they can compete with the big boys.
  • the mock BCS standings has Boise st. ranked #1
    As usual you are right Edmund. Thanks for setting morons like me straight. I will never suggest Boise might be competitive with the big boys again. I hope you run for President one day. I am sure everybody would vote for you. Thanks for setting me straight!

• << <i>

They also beat TCU, so they have proven they can compete with the big boys. >>

Georgia 48 Boise State 13

Oregon State 30 Boise State 27

Boston College 27 Boise State 21 bowl

Boise State 43 Oklahoma 42 OT bowl

Washington 20 Boise State 14

East Carolina 41 Boise State 38 bowl

Boise State 37 Oregon 32

TCU 17 Boise State 16 bowl

Boise State 19 Oregon 8

Boise State 17 TCU 10 bowl

Not sure what your point is Edmund but you are right... whatever you are saying.
    Starting to look forward to Saturday...

Iowa favored by 3 at Michigan; I will take the Hawkeyes.
    TCU by 29 over BYU? Sounds like a lot to me.
    McNese State at LSU - typical SEC non conference game with no-offense LSU favored by 44 - I will take McNese on that one! Can you imagine if McNese was playing an SEC team with some offense, like 'bama, the line would be 75!
    Ohio State as Wis should be good.
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Starting to look forward to Saturday...

Iowa favored by 3 at Michigan; I will take the Hawkeyes.
    TCU by 29 over BYU? Sounds like a lot to me.
    McNese State at LSU - typical SEC non conference game with no-offense LSU favored by 44 - I will take McNese on that one! Can you imagine if McNese was playing an SEC team with some offense, like 'bama, the line would be 75!
    Ohio State as Wis should be good. >>

As a Michigan fan, I would take Iowa ALL DAY LONG.
    I would take TCU and give the points.
    I would take McNeese and the points.
    I hate OSU, but think they will spank Wisky.
  • Wisconsin is tough at home. If OSU wins i dont think it will be a blowout.
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Wisconsin is tough at home. If OSU wins i dont think it will be a blowout. >>

I think Wisky is tougher with a healthy Clay. I still think he's not 100%, so my guess is OSU wins by 17... unless John Clay eats half of the OSU players.
    The Badgers should play a great game- this will be close and likely low scoring 17-13 game- I give the nod to OSU but I would not be surprised to see Wisconsin win

• << <i>The Badgers should play a great game- this will be close and likely low scoring 17-13 game- I give the nod to OSU but I would not be surprised to see Wisconsin win >>

I agree. From what I've heard from my tOSU fan, they are winning games because of Pryor bailing them out, and he
    believes Pryor can not bail them out for the rest of the season.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting to look forward to Saturday...

Me too...the ducks are off and I need a rest also. The meat of the Oregon season starts next week. Now we will see if they are all they have been built up to be.

Hey edmund have you ever watched Boise play? Especially this year?

Ken

• USC is laying the smackdown on Cal. 42-0 at halftime....wow! Pretty fun game to watch....as long as you aren't a Cal fan image

• << <i>

<< <i>The Badgers should play a great game- this will be close and likely low scoring 17-13 game- I give the nod to OSU but I would not be surprised to see Wisconsin win >>

I agree. From what I've heard from my tOSU fan, they are winning games because of Pryor bailing them out, and he
    believes Pryor can not bail them out for the rest of the season. >>

Theyve only been tested once so far(illinois). The buckeyes are winning mainly because of defense. They have not allowed a 100 yd rusher in 29 straight games.
    Wisconsin dominated but Pryor was impressive when scrambling/running. He looked like a man among boys... but not enough.
  • looks like we will have 2 #1's when the polls come out tomorrow and Boise state will be one of those teams.

Pryer got them to 21-18, but got no help from the defense in the 4th quarter.
    I would think Oregon alone at #1!? Here's current AP:

1 Ohio State (34) 6-0 1453
    2 Oregon (15) 6-0 1427
    3 Boise State (8) 5-0 1395
    4 TCU (1) 6-0 1304
    5 Nebraska 5-0 1236
    6 Oklahoma (2) 5-0 1225
    7 Auburn 6-0 1104
    8 Alabama 5-1 1021
    9 LSU 6-0 999
    10 South Carolina 4-1 978

Maybe new AP top 10 something like this:
    Oregon
    Boise
    TCU
    Oklahoma
    Auburn
    Ohio State
    Alabama
    LSU
    Utah
    Michigan State
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auburn may jump OU
  • boise or tcu may jump oregon because oregon had a bye this week

• << <i>I would think Oregon alone at #1!? Here's current AP:

1 Ohio State (34) 6-0 1453
    2 Oregon (15) 6-0 1427
    3 Boise State (8) 5-0 1395
    4 TCU (1) 6-0 1304
    5 Nebraska 5-0 1236
    6 Oklahoma (2) 5-0 1225
    7 Auburn 6-0 1104
    8 Alabama 5-1 1021
    9 LSU 6-0 999
    10 South Carolina 4-1 978

Maybe new AP top 10 something like this:
    Oregon
    Boise
    TCU
    Oklahoma
    Auburn
    Ohio State
    Alabama
    LSU
    Utah
    Michigan State >>

according to espn Boise state will be #1 in the BCS. Michigan state should be top 5 but will not.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see one team head and shoulders above the rest, let alone two. This year would be perfect for a playoff.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• << <i>I don't see one team head and shoulders above the rest, let alone two. This year would be perfect for a playoff. >>

I agree. Although I will admit that because of their track record I will always favor the SEC's top dog, and I do believe
    that if any team comes out of the SEC with only 1 loss this year, then they deserve to play for the national championship.
    I still believe that if Boise or TCU, or Oregon played in the SEC, that injuries would take their toll, and those teams would
    easily have 2 or 3 losses.

However, I do agree that a playoff would be super fun this year. Too much football left to be played though.