Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Red Sox

Comments

• WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    Went to the game tonight - Beckett's first game back. Outside of a pitch-count pushing 30 in the first inning, he pitched pretty well. 98 total pitches in 5 & 2/3 seems like a whole bunch but almost 1/3 of that came in his first inning in 2 months.

Bard was lights out in the 8th and I thought Tito would let him go in the 9th - he tossed less than 10 pitches in the 8th - but Tito had Pap warming in the bullpen and went to him. It was a well played game - if the Sox win tomorrow night with Lester (local kid from Tacoma) on the mound tomorrow night, I'll be taking a broom to the game on Sunday.

When Youk fouled a ball off his foot and fell, there was a collective gasp from RSN in the stands. Thankfully he seemed to be OK and ran hard down to first when he hit a hard ground ball to short. That's the last person we need to get injured. Watching him play in person, I can really see his intensity!!

FWIW, watched the Sox in BP, got a ball and a sig from Pedroia - he seems to be doing well and was in great spirits. Clay Buchholz must have signed for at least 30 minutes after BP. The Sox fan sitting next to me, got a signature from Tito on his hat.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atchison has had a few good outings of late. Would be nice if the Sox had someone "streaking" this time of year as first guy out of the pen.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    If only we could play Seattle 40 more times.
    Capecards
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weekendhacker...

So, tell me, is it my surround sound, or do those trains really sound like they're about to come right through the ballpark?

<< <i>Weekendhacker...

So, tell me, is it my surround sound, or do those trains really sound like they're about to come right through the ballpark? >>

They are across the street (Alaskan Way) behind RF. It must be your surroundsound, it's probably like the planes over old Shea Stadium, ya just kind of ignore them after hearing them all the time. The Port of Seattle is pretty close so there is all kinds of freight always moving - somewhere.
    I am so sorry that I watched that game. Lester was fun to watch, that's about it. Pathetic performance for the umpteenth straight time by Red Sox "hitters" and some funky defense in CF tonight too. Wonderful management of the game by Francoma, seems his brain took the night off. Fortunately, since the Sox seem to be in train wreck mode, most games on the left coast are on too late to watch.
    Well, well, well...............another Red Sox starter flirted with a no-no against Seattle. Only this time, the offense didn't show up. Patterson's muff in CF seemed to take the wind out of Lesters sail. The muff was followed up by a mistake to Saunders who launched one to give the M's the lead they would keep. Lester was going strong and actually pitched a great game until he tired in the 8th. He started the 8th with just over 100 pitches and he was laboring a bit after the lead-off triple by Bradley. He didn't deserve the line he received - he pitched much better than 4 ER in 7.2 innings pitched.

Not sure why Tito keeps going to Delcarmen - he faced 3 batters walked one (to load the bases - hit the next one to force in a run and finally got one out to end the 8th. Don't be surprised to see him sent down - hopefully very soon.

We really need Ellsbury and Pedroia to come back soon to spark some life into this offense. VMart wouldn't hurt either. Cash & Brown just aren't getting it done.
    I don't think DelCarmen will get sent down. If anything, he would go to the DL.

I sure wish the team would become sellers in the next six days. They could use some talent in the minors
    Painful.
    Capecards
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Absolutely painful. Lester was so good and I can't help but think that it all unraveled thanks to Peterson's error. After the loss of a perfect game (which would be a huge let down for a pitcher no matter what they say to the press about not thinking about it) Lester had to pitch out of the stretch for the first time and I'm pretty sure that's why he made the mistake to Saunders. This road trip has convinced me that the team just doesn't have enough bullets in the chamber to make a playoff run. And the way things are going, even if they start getting some of their guys back from the DL it might be too late.
    Going, going... ?
    the word pathetic comes to mind again. Just watched Chokajima doing his usual.
    GONE !!
    Too bad we're not in the central division.

Capecards
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting excited about Pats season.
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>Too bad we're not in the central division. >>

Or the NL. image

I'm ready for the Red Sox to proclaim themselves sellers this trading deadline.

<< <i>

<< <i>Too bad we're not in the central division. >>

Or the NL. image

I'm ready for the Red Sox to proclaim themselves sellers this trading deadline. >>

wouldn't it be great to restock the farm system? Let V-Mart, Lowell, Drew, Papelbon, and just about anyone else go (short of a few untouchables) and get some decent prospects and salary relief in return.
    nice to see that Buchholz is back after that last start. Three homers since the ASG for Ortiz, so maybe the HR Derby "curse" won't affect him?
    What it's going to boil down to is the Red Sox are a very good team, but two better teams are in the same division.
    Capecards

<< <i>What it's going to boil down to is the Red Sox are a very good team, but two better teams are in the same division. >>

I agree. I didn't think Garza looked any more dominate last night then Lester did in his last game out but the Rays defense didn't flub easy pop flies to ruin it for Garza. That was just further evidence that the Rays have better defense in addition to good hitting and good pitching.
    Lackey looked very good. Some timely hitting too. Cool beans
    I didn't expect any wins against the Angels after the Oakland and Seattle series so I've been mildly impressed. And the Yankees lost last night to boot!
    A much needed sweep...I still have my doubts. Saturday could be very, very interesting.
    I was hoping that Scutaro would get a walk or maybe a single. Never expected him to crank that high fastball over the fence. Amazing. Beckett looked OK minus a lapse or two.
    Any chance Tito would consider keeping Wake in the rotation giving all starters a minimum of 5 days rest between starts?

A quick glance at the schedule has only two off days in August - make that two off days between now and Sep 8th. The only 3weak teams during that stretch are Cleveland (4@ home), Seattle (3 @ home) & Baltimore (3 @ Camden). 39 games + 2 days off = a very tough stretch for the Sox during the dog days of summer.

I think it's safe to assume that come Sept 9th, we will know if the Sox will be playing important games in October.

<< <i>Any chance Tito would consider keeping Wake in the rotation giving all starters a minimum of 5 days rest between starts?

A quick glance at the schedule has only two off days in August - make that two off days between now and Sep 8th. The only 3weak teams during that stretch are Cleveland (4@ home), Seattle (3 @ home) & Baltimore (3 @ Camden). 39 games + 2 days off = a very tough stretch for the Sox during the dog days of summer.

I think it's safe to assume that come Sept 9th, we will know if the Sox will be playing important games in October. >>

I don't think they will go to a six man rotation. The Sox have discussed that many times in the past two years and always came to the NO conclusion. A spot start for Wakefield every now and then if aches/pains warrant it, yes. But with all five starters now healthy and pitching well enough as of late, I think they are going to ride these five for seven or more innings a game if possible. Ha, that was funny, we know Matsuzaka will never go seven innings a game. Worth dreaming anyway.
    seven losses back of TB and 8 behind NYY. Time to sell? I think so.

<< <i>Ha, that was funny, we know Matsuzaka will never go seven innings a game. Worth dreaming anyway. >>

I was at his last game in Sea. It was painful to watch him nibble on the corners - and miss.......................It was the friggin Seattle Mariners. If he's nibbling and going 102 pitches through 5 innings, how's he going to fair against a team that can actually hit the ball. Throw some strikes Dice-K!!!
    Ramon Ramirez to the SF Giants, good. Saltalamacchia from the Rangers, hmmm, we'll see. Should have sold more, IMO.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Just got home from today's game. What a great win!!

Got a ton of pics from the great seats we had. I'll post some in the morning.

nice when the Sox can win despite Papelblown's efforts
    Two W/O wins could be the catalyst to get this team in gear and get into a win streak.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nice when the Sox can win despite Papelblown's efforts >>

My apologies -- I started watching in the 9th inning to see Bucholz complete the game. After Papelblown tied it, fortunately the bleeding stopped because I turned off the TV in disgust.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Papelsuck is killing me! My nerves are almost as bad as they were after game 3 of the 2004 ALCS!
    Youkilis is now on the DL.

Yeah, not only is he on the DL but possibly done for the season. He's the heart and soul of the team. If he's out, so are the Red Sox. When does football start?

<< <i>Yeah, not only is he on the DL but possibly done for the season. He's the heart and soul of the team. If he's out, so are the Red Sox. When does football start? >>

Ye of little faith!! I'm not giving up yet. Besides, they have to continue their pattern of winning a World Series every 3 years!

I think there is a good chance the Yankees will pull a Mets-style choke job, what with Pay-Rod's slump and possibility of their starting pitching coming down to earth. Tampa could enter a slump like they did earlier in the season as well. If Lowell can hit .280 or better with power the rest of the way, and Pedoria comes back healthy, they have a decent shot at the WC.
    Shocking -- Papelblown threw breaking pitches, which resulted in a "clean" 9th inning! Amazing what a pitcher can do when the hitters are kept guessing.

<< <i>Shocking -- Papelblown threw breaking pitches, which resulted in a "clean" 9th inning! Amazing what a pitcher can do when the hitters are kept guessing. >>

obviously, he has been taking notes while watching Bard
    no joy in Mudville. Youkilis will have thumb surgery.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, not only is he on the DL but possibly done for the season. He's the heart and soul of the team. If he's out, so are the Red Sox. When does football start? >>

Can you believe Welker is actually playing already? Let's go Pats!
    Is this too much of a statement: the season is over without Youkilis.
    Capecards

<< <i>Is this too much of a statement: the season is over without Youkilis. >>

I don't think so. I said it a couple days ago and I stand by it. I feel like the tires just got slashed. Sure, they can keep rolling, but it's not going to be a smooth ride.
    the Sox have a good sense of humor. All the injuries, then they go beat the Yankees in game one of a four game series. Just gets fans thinking, "hey, what if the team sweeps?" -- sick thoughts creep into the RSN heads from time to time, don't they? image
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I was fingering to win the Buchholtz and either one of the beckett/lester games, 2/4 is fine with me
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    After watching the game yesterday it seemed like they are playing completely uninspired baseball. Almost like they were just going through the motions because they had to. Lackey was the only one with any fire in his gut. The rest look like they finally called it quits on the year? Is this really the effect that losing Youk had on these guys?
    in case I forget to post this later, I will do so now: Bill Hall sucks. Why does he ever play? A butcher with a glove, a whiffer with a bat. Just because he "plays" every position, doesn't make him valuable
    Yeah, he plays every position - badly.

Season is slowly setting into the west - it's a brutal division, survival of the fittest.

Unfortunately the Sox are somewhere lower down on the food chain.
    Capecards
    I was just looking at Mariano Rivera's stats. Yes, the 0.88 ERA is quite good. He has a lifetime 2.20 ERA in almost 1200 innings pitched. Wow. I have closer envy.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Papeldouche strikes again