Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Red Sox

Comments

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    We need huge games from our starters regardless who we are playing. Eventually the Mash unit is going to run out of steam.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow, Tek is going to miss 6 weeks, and it looks like Bucholz is going on the DL as well. It also sounds like they might be about to release Mike Lowell. These next few weeks are going to be interesting.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    after getting that 5-1 lead against the Rays, anyone else feel the inevitable coming on even before the Rays scored their second run? I sure did. Having Matsusucka in there doesn't inspire confidence.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earth to Theo, earth to Theo...the Matsuzaka thing ain't workin' out...you have 25 days to make an easy move with this choker. BTW, he looked like a deer in the headlights when he didn't throw to first when he shouldh've known Beltre was gonna charge the bunt, leaving 3rd vacant. We knock out Garza in the 3rd at 5-1 and lose and important game. Matsuzaka has become my new Timlin.

<< <i>Earth to Theo, earth to Theo...the Matsuzaka thing ain't workin' out...you have 25 days to make an easy move with this choker. BTW, he looked like a deer in the headlights when he didn't throw to first when he shouldh've known Beltre was gonna charge the bunt, leaving 3rd vacant. We knock out Garza in the 3rd at 5-1 and lose and important game. Matsuzaka has become my new Timlin. >>

the bullpen is full of Timlins this year, save for Daniel Bard. If Theo wants to improve the Sox to the point of getting them into the playoffs, the bullpen is the #1 focus. The injuries will heal, but the bullpen will not.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm not a big fan of Dice-K anymore either. He is so inconsistent.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    11 guys now on the DL.
    Capecards
    They are running out of call ups. The Sox have tremendous depth, but even that eventually gets depleted when you have so many guys hurt.
    I'm glad Youkilis didn't get voted in for the AS game. The man needs a rest and two flights across the US won't contribute to that.

<< <i>I'm glad Youkilis didn't get voted in for the AS game. The man needs a rest and two flights across the US won't contribute to that. >>

Good point - I felt he deserved the nod, but in the long run, it's best he skips this meaningless game and rests up for the second half.
    Nice to see Tampa lose, Sox win and the Yanks miss out on Lee.
    Yet another miracle Saturday where I get to watch the Red Sox...and another dismal performance by Lackey. Could somebody please tell me why the Red Sox are paying him a jaw-dropping $18.7m for 2010? He has certainly not lived up to his end of the bargain, not even remotely close. I won't do the per-start pay, it's too sickening to absorb. But, if you wish, divide his staggering 2010 salary by 30 (the approximate number of starts he'll get). What a joke!!!
    ERA about one full point higher than career average. Lacking sucks.
    on second thought, maybe Lacking is trying to be like his fellow Texas buddy on the Sox
    I bet moving to the AL East usually hurts a pitcher's ERA.

Sox currently have the 10th best team ERA in the AL out of 14 teams.

Tampa and NY are 1 and 2, quite an accomplishment considering the level of competition in the AL east.
    Capecards
    the Sox bullpen is dragging the entire team down. It's ugly.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    and now Beltre is hurt

<< <i>and now Beltre is hurt >>

great news for Sox left fielders.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Good point - I felt he deserved the nod, but in the long run, it's best he skips this meaningless game and rests up for the second half. >>

Jerry, it was meaningless a few years ago. Unless you are of the opinion that home field in the WS is meaningless image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Second page, gentlemen? We should keep this up near the top.

Beckett is pitching for Pawtucket this weekend, right? I can't wait to see how he does. If he's healthy, it would be a huge boost for the the Boston Wounded.
    Feels like we're at a crucial point in the season where things are starting to slip away - maybe too many injuries.
    Capecards

<< <i>Feels like we're at a crucial point in the season where things are starting to slip away - maybe too many injuries. >>

the next week should decide if the Sox are buyers or sellers at the end of the month.
    There is no way they will be sellers.

<< <i>There is no way they will be sellers. >>

if they are ten games out next week, they sure as heck should be!
    They will not be ten games out of the Wild Card.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Wow, the Sox win a game that Lester doesn't pitch in.
    Hopefully 2 in a row tomorrow!
    Seven games back.
    Capecards
    It is ugly right now
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is ugly right now >>

Hopefully just "rust" and not a return of Sucholz.

<< <i>Seven games back. >>

8 in the loss column, and that's all I track
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death by a thousand cuts.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    I think this shows how much the lineup misses Pedroia.
    Unless they put together a nice run, and those above falter, I think the season is gonna quickly be toast.
    I think (hope) that things will look a lot better after the Seattle series. But it's all about the wild card at this point. I'm going to keep rooting for whichever team is playing the Rays.
    I'm not real thrilled with the rumors that the Rays are in the mix to receive Jayson Werth in a 3-way deal involving Roy Oswalt. If the Rays are buyers at the deadline and the Sox don't do something (and I mean something other than simply getting healthier) then I think we can kiss the wild card goodbye pretty soon.
    I will be very surprised if the Red Sox don't make some kind of substantial deal by the 31st. The question is, are they searching for pitching, or a position player.
    Knowing Theo, I'd guess he is looking for bullpen help which we do need. But I think the OF needs some help just as badly.
    I have been reading that the Sox want David DeJesus from the Royals, but I think he got hurt in tonight's game against NY. He would be a nice fit in CF with his great defense, or maybe LF keeping Cameron in CF. You can't count on Ellsbury at this point in 2010.
    It's the top of the 13th as I write this . . . no matter what the final outcome of tonight's game is, this was a terrible game for the Red Sox.
    The "top of the 13th" in Seattle = sunrise in Atlanta. image

Yup, if they gotta go 13 to beat this team, things ain't lookin' too good.
    The win felt like a loss
    worst bullpen EVER
    Scutaro and Hall didn't help things either. Three errors in a game where the starting pitcher had a no-no into the 8th doesn't say much for that "we're going to win with pitching and defense" strategy this team was supposed to follow.
    The problem is our middle relievers, the backend is not that bad at all.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papelblown strikes again! image

However, it was nice to see Chokajima and Ramon Ramirez step up for once and salvage the game. Nice effort by Lacking, but would like to see several more of those to earn his lofty salary.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    I was at that Lackey (almost no-no) last night and the Sox looked pathetic in the 9th. Delcarmen couldn't get out of a wet paper bag with a hole in it. Then Papelblown comes in and solidifies that comeback by the worst offensive team in MLB. It took 2 hrs 10 minutes to play 8 and a half innings and the bottom of the 9th took 40 minutes. The lowly mariners scored more runs in that half inning than they did the previous 36 innings combined. Things are not looking good for the Red Sox. When we need Eric Patterson to bail us out, we've got problems.

Got tickets to the next 3 games in Seattle, hopefully they aren't as painful to watch.

<< <i>The problem is our middle relievers, the backend is not that bad at all. >>

yes, Bard does not suck.
    Not looking like a playoff-caliber team right now.
    Capecards
    I agree Weekend - Delcarmen really was terrible last night. When Papelbon came in I knew that he was going to blow the save too. Papelbon needs a lot of wiggle room to be successful (in other words, he needs a 3-run lead with no runners on).

Against practically any other team in baseball that was a loss last night.

<< <i>I agree Weekend - Delcarmen really was terrible last night. When Papelbon came in I knew that he was going to blow the save too. Papelbon needs a lot of wiggle room to be successful (in other words, he needs a 3-run lead with no runners on, two outs, two strikes on the batter, and the pitcher up at bat).

Against practically any other team in baseball that was a loss last night. >>

there, I fixed it for you image