Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Red Sox

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I get for being cute I guess...BUMMER
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF!!! Papelblown!! image
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned, that stadium could fall into the earth with those two teams playing in it, but that game sure was fun to watch! Especially since I have Arod and Youk in my fantasy league. image
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as I'm concerned, that stadium could fall into the earth with those two teams playing in it, but that game sure was fun to watch! Especially since I have Arod and Youk in my fantasy league. image >>

There is only one place for stadium purgatory in the AL East grasshopper. And that is where your sad sack Orioles play. image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, I must agree... but it sure was fun sweeping the Red Sox in the beginning of May! Regardless of how bad Boston is this year. image
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    What a freakin roller coaster!

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so when does Papelblown get to become a free agent?
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be enough Pats coverage that we can go right from the Celts into football.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Goot, where is that chart from?

It was a heartbreaking game for Red Sox fans but from an entertainment standpoint it was a fantastic game. I'm glad I stayed with it after that 1st inning barrage the Yankees came up with.
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure got quiet at King George Stadium

That's what I get for being cute I guess...BUMMER

When you consider all of the last-minute endings (both good and bad) in Red Sox history, I'm surprised that a Sox fan would jump the gun.

After 2004, we Yankee fans have learned you don't gloat or complain until the fat lady sings.

You want some fries with that crow you're eating?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

<< <i>When you consider all of the last-minute endings (both good and bad) in Red Sox history, I'm surprised that a Sox fan would jump the gun.

After 2004, we Yankee fans have learned you don't gloat or complain until the fat lady sings.

You want some fries with that crow you're eating? >>

It took you guys until 2004 to learn that? [sarcasm font] You guys are fast learners. [sarcasm font] image
    2nd...

Biggie size the fries thanks, ketchup also please. Thanks for helping me choke down the crow.

Long live the memories of the '04 beatdown you guys took! image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    It's May, the season is long from over - but that loss last night really sucked.

Never thought I'd be so happy to see Cameron and Ellsbury come back, hopefully soon.
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Goot, where is that chart from?
    >>

Fan Graphs
    Now that's more like it.

But nothing is easy this season for the Sox, and when you have to sweat out Papelbon versus the weak bottom third of that Yankee lineup, something is wrong.
    Like I was saying...Sure got quiet at King George Stadium. image

The pos is that the Red Sox scored 16 runs, even if a few came via errors. Interesting that Papelbon didn't go into his "cheer mode" right after the 3rd out, just looked kinda humbled, and probably thankful he didn't get beat again...close, but it worked out.

Twinkies comin' up, gotta start a streak, or the hole is gonna get too deep. I doubt the Girardi protest is goin' anywhere.
    Bootaro is solidly on the nickname list now.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    yeah, feel free to spank the bajeesus outta the Twins, eh?
    Don't look now, but I think Big Papi can get around on a fastball again. And, not a moment too soon.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lester with 28/32 first pitch strikes was very, very nice.
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>yeah, feel free to spank the bajeesus outta the Twins, eh? >>

Done. Now please sweep the Yankees next time you play them. Thank you.
    Lester was pretty efficient. I was hoping he'd get the shutout but a complete game was nice to see.
    I sure hope the last few games are a sign that Victor Martinez has relearned how to hit the ball.
    Lackey is Lacking. John Henry has to be thinking: $17 million for Lacking, $18 million for JosHR BBeckett, $25 million for a pair of streaky-at-best DHs...4th place in the AL East -- priceless.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    anyone see the story on Theo Epstein wearing a disguise while at a concert? Maybe his conscience is getting at him!

BTW the Pearl Jam show was a Ny-boston game night, but what does he care?

epstein
    Barn,

To be fair...Beckett is almost destitute making a paltry $12.1m this season. What really salts the deal is the return for these guys: Dicecan't $8.3m; Mike (nowhere to be seen in Fenway) Cameron $8.75m; Lacking is really at $18.7m; JD (JustDone) Drew $14m; and Andre (aka dropsitalot) Beltre $9m.

I truly struggle with the math that shows Lackey making a mind-numbing $623,333 PER START...assuming 30 starts in a 162 game season!! Somebody please tell me my math is wrong. The average Joe works 2,080 hours a year (40 hrs x 52), therfore Mr. Lackey makes the equivalent of a jaw-dropping $8,990+ per hour for throwing a baseball !! Can you fathom making almost $9k per hour???

Maybe there's hope if we ever get to see Boof Bonser in action. With a name like Boof, he's gotta be a diamond in the rough just waiting for a shot.

As was once said by a member of the 2004 WS team..."it's time to cowboy up".
    What do you guys think the Red Sox should do wit Victor Martinez?

We're approaching trade season in MLB and since this is his last year under contract should they look at trading him for prospects or should they be working out a new contract for him?
    speaking of "Cowboy Up" -- Kevin Millar will start doing analysis for NESN, I think maybe 27 May? Not during games, but after/before. Glad to have him. He still brings energy to wherever he goes.

As for people like Victor Martinez...my thoughts:

V-Mart: If the Sox are in the hunt for a playoff spot, he stays. The Sox will get a couple draft picks for him when he signs with someone else after the season. I do not think he is the long term solution at catcher and the Sox won't want to meet his price when his only real value is as a DH.

Papelblown: The Sox won't sign him long term (I hope!) and likely won't trade him this year, in it or not. Chances are they will keep him through his walk year of 2011 and get a couple of draft picks when some lucky team signs him to a 30-40 million dollar contract (Papelblown wants more). I would love to be wrong, but I do think Bard needs at least this full season and most/all of next as the "8th inning guy" before he assumes the stupid role of closer. I hate that such a role exists, merely to serve a made-up statistic, what a waste.

Ortiz and Lowell: I do believe that if any sort of offer comes along for Lowell that allows the Sox to save a million or more or allows them to get a decent prospect in return, Lowell is gone. If the Sox are not in the hunt come July and someone wants him, I think the Sox will deal Ortiz. He's making a bunch, the Sox likely do not intend on picking up his $12 million or so option for next year, and he is doing a great job of trying to strip Glen Davis of #11's nickname.

Ellsbury: I can envision a scenario in which Ellsbury is traded. The Sox are going to go after Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, seems logical that the NYY overpay for one and the Sox bid too high for the other. Maybe there's someone out there that loves Ellsbury and will give up a catcher and an OF prospect. I wouldn't put it past the Sox to trade Ellsbury if the right deal arises.

Youk, Pedroia, Drew (because of contract and performance), Varitek, Bard, Lester, Buchholz, and maybe some others are not going anywhere. The more I watch Buchholz pitch, the more I am glad that Theo was stubborn about keeping him.
    I agree with a lot of that Barndog -

The Sox want nothing more than to deal Lowell, but they can't unless they pay him to play somewhere else. I really don't see Ortiz being traded though, he doesn't have as much value as he once did, and I think the Sox resign him at a much reduced price (for maybe 2 years) and give him a reduced role in the offense over that time.

Is Bard the closer of the future? It looks that way, and I agree that the whole closer role is stupid - but the Sox won't just throw Papelbon out. I can even see them resigning him in 2012 for a couple of years (if he'll take that). If he insists on the "big money", I don't think it will come from the Sox.
    Good god, a 1-hitter from Dice-K.

No more V-Mart catching him. Since Varitek is hitting pretty well, maybe he should catch 2 starters, and have V-Mart DH or play 1B during one of those starts (i.e. to give Youk or Poopy a day off). It seems that all Varitek needed was more time off to start hitting better.
    Clearly a very nice outing by Dice...has he turned the corner??? Red Sox management must be really scratching their heads over the VMart-Tek thing. A much needed win for the Bosox against a tough team.

I am still in amazement how Red Sox games are not telecast on Saturdays on my Directv extra innings package. I can see a bunch of crappy, going nowhere teams, but the Red Sox are nowhere to be found...and I live a thousand miles from Boston. I could care less if they block out the Braves (which they do), but I just don't get it.

Did catch Millar on ESPN. I thought he was pretty good, I enjoyed his comments. I was mostly watching the Mecum auto auctions from Indianapolis, trying not to drool over the corvettes of yesteryear that brought easy 6 figures...but man, how sweet they looked!!

Let's see what Wake has in the tank today, enjoy da game.

BTW, where the hell is Paul ??? Did the Perkies wear him out??
    Ramon Ramirez is pitching his way into getting designated for assignment. Two out of three from the best team in the NL is nice.

<< <i>Ramon Ramirez is pitching his way into getting designated for assignment. Two out of three from the best team in the NL is nice. >>

Well, he is clearly the mop-up pitcher now with Show-em-the-Door-weis gone.
    Wow, Dice-K and Wake come through big time. I wonder if the Phillies being unfamiliar with Dice-K played a factor? In any event, it's nice to take 2 of 3 from them.
    I would not be surprised if no Sox player gets elected to start the AS game this year. In fact, it would be disturbing if someone on the Sox other than Youkilis got voted #1 at his position. Pedroia's average is close to lowest among starters on the Sox right now, too.
    great quote by Pedroia after last night's game:

“I try not to listen to Tito, DeMarlo, or any of our coaches. I don’t want to get dumber’’
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    He and Tito go back and forth all season.
    Well, that's two straight from the best team in the AL. Maybe this season isn't lost, after all.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    The Sox have a pretty good record since Beckett was DL'd. The starting pitching has been awesome without him. I'd bet Theo is second guessing his signing of Beckett. Wakefield is the best swing man (starter/reliever) in the majors. I am very glad the Sox kept him, he is invaluable.
    The last 8-game stretch for the Red Sox has gone way better than expected and the schedule is going to get easier for a while (on paper). If they don't take advantage of this recent success and the upcoming schedule they'll get buried and won't have enough time to dig themselves out of the hole they made for themselves early this season.

I'm cautiously optimistic but I still give the Red Sox about a 20% chance of making the playoffs this year. I just don't see the Rays or the Yankees giving up their spots.
    woo-hoo! The Sox have overtaken the mighty Toronto Blue Jays for third place in the AL East! image
    The Sox have turned it around quickly
    Matsusucka showed amazing control last night. It must be difficult to miss the plate that much.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Wait until the D-Train faces off against him!! there will be 20 walks that game!! oh, wait, we already had a 20 walk game a couple weeks ago!! gotta love a walk-off walk..... Normally, i'd say go ahead and beat the blue off the Royals, but since Detroit has a shot at a wild card, they can run wild in beantown!!!

<< <i>Matsusucka showed amazing control last night. It must be difficult to miss the plate that much. >>

Until he strings at least 4 out of 5 quality starts, he remains on the nickname list. Same with Lacking.
    Agreed

<< <i>Matsusucka showed amazing control last night. It must be difficult to miss the plate that much. >>

He shuts down the Phillies on just 1 hit (well, the Mets just shut the Phillies down for three games so maybe that says something) and then he looks lost against the hapless Royals. What is the deal with him?

<< <i>

He shuts down the Phillies on just 1 hit (well, the Mets just shut the Phillies down for three games so maybe that says something) and then he looks lost against the hapless Royals. What is the deal with him? >>

I think the Royals had only four hits all night. I guess when the ball isn't near the strike zone, there's no need to swing
    Update to the nickname list:

1. Papelblown -- the 4 run meltdown against the NYY after the great comeback now requires 10 more saves in a row to get off list. Maybe more -- doing that against the NYY is a Cardinal Sin.
    2. Chokajima -- solidly on list now, needs to get ERA under 3.5 to get off list.
    3. Bootaro -- Low BA, subpar fielding -- tyical Theo free agent SS.
    4. J.D. Blew, Nancy Drew, etc. -- Improving, but not impressive. Still needs to go on a tear to get off list. He's being paid to be a power hitter, not to get walks.
    5. Matzusucka -- Still needs to string a few quality starts to get off list. The Jeckell & Hyde routine is not acceptable.
    6. Ramon Rambbhrirez -- Current mop-up pitcher.
    7. Lacking -- Needs to string 4 or 5 quality starts to start earning that $16 million salary.

Off list:

1. Suchholz, the staff "ace".
    2. Big Poopy, Floppy, whatever -- I said solid May will get him off the list, and he has done that. A failed drug test will get him back on.
    3. Schowenweis -- Off the team!

<< <i>Update to the nickname list:

1. Papelblown -- the 4 run meltdown against the NYY after the great comeback now requires 10 more saves in a row to get off list. Maybe more -- doing that against the NYY is a Cardinal Sin.
    2. Chokajima -- solidly on list now, needs to get ERA under 3.5 to get off list.
    3. Bootaro -- Low BA, subpar fielding -- tyical Theo free agent SS.
    4. J.D. Blew, Nancy Drew, etc. -- Improving, but not impressive. Still needs to go on a tear to get off list. He's being paid to be a power hitter, not to get walks.
    5. Matzusucka -- Still needs to string a few quality starts to get off list. The Jeckell & Hyde routine is not acceptable.
    6. Ramon Rambbhrirez -- Current mop-up pitcher.
    7. Lacking -- Needs to string 4 or 5 quality starts to start earning that $16 million salary.

Off list:

1. Suchholz, the staff "ace".
    2. Big Poopy, Floppy, whatever -- I said solid May will get him off the list, and he has done that. A failed drug test will get him back on.
    3. Schowenweis -- Off the team! >>

don't forget the fearless leader: Terry Francoma. He'll always have that nickname in my book because he's like Michael Scott ("The Office") and can't fire anyone. If he cans the 3B coach, that'd be a good start!