Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Red Sox

Comments

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Here's an honest question for everyone: Is it really too early to panic?

If we assume that it will take 90 wins to make the playoffs then the team can only lose 72 games. At 9 losses, the Red Sox have already lost 12.5% of the games they can lose this season and still make the playoffs. And only 8% of the games have been played.

There is a lot of time to make up ground and a 10-game winning streak would turn the tide but I don't really think it's too early too panic. I think it might be too late to panic.

Here's a study that found that the Red Sox's playoff chances went from 58% on opening day to 22% today. AccuScore Predictions
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>you guys are right, Pedroia is killing it. I just dont think Beltre/cameron can make up for Manny's bat, plus it is pretty obvious he protected Oritz >>

the PEDs didn't hurt either >>

you're right. the PED's had helped his eyes see the ball, what is he swinging at? image
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>you guys are right, Pedroia is killing it. I just dont think Beltre/cameron can make up for Manny's bat, plus it is pretty obvious he protected Oritz >>

the PEDs didn't hurt either >>

you're right. the PED's had helped his eyes see the ball, what is he swinging at? image >>

If you recall, eyedrops got him out of his funk last year, he's going to need the whole bottle this year - make that two - one for each eye.
    Get him on the transplant list for new eye balls already!
    anyone ever try those Japanese eyedrops?? They actually hurt!

Ok I know what we are missing

LET'S SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very BAD feeling about this slump.

All phases of the game suck, and they got their asses swept and kicked at HOME. In other slumps I always felt someone could spark a turn-around (old Beckett, Schilling, juiced Ortiz, etc.) but just not seeing any spark at all from this team. It's been a long time since they had an ass-kicking slump.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I think this is the year we just laugh at our team. Too pathetic to even get upset about it

6 stolen bases through 3 innings LMAO
    MArtinez is horrible,
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Dice-K will save the day - some day
    A win!

Looks like we should have just used the AAA guys instead of signing scrubs like Cameron and Hall.
  • Did I read the box score correctly, Vlad Guerrero with two stolen bases? He must of gotten brand new yellow tennis balls for his walker. A wins a win anyway you can get it I guess.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty exciting comeback win. Tito shakes up the lineup and sits Ortiz. We'll see if they can continue to come out of the funk.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Victor Martinez is not a catcher, just saying.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Agree, Martinez is not a bona fide major league catcher.

Great game by the way last night - but took a miracle from a rookie to pull out a home win against a mediocre team.

Capecards
    Two moves to make...switch roles between Tek and Vmart. Reduce Ortiz's ABs and more DH for Lowell.

Vmart has no arm for throwing out base runners. The outfield remains kinda muddy now that Ellsbury is on the DH.

BTW, anybody know why Ellsbury went from # 46 to # 2, or did I miss something?

<< <i>BTW, anybody know why Ellsbury went from # 46 to # 2, or did I miss something? >>

Because he admired Carl Everett when he was a kid. image

<< <i>Very BAD feeling about this slump.

All phases of the game suck, and they got their asses swept and kicked at HOME. In other slumps I always felt someone could spark a turn-around (old Beckett, Schilling, juiced Ortiz, etc.) but just not seeing any spark at all from this team. It's been a long time since they had an ass-kicking slump. >>

Well, hell, I should have known the spark would come from a 31 year old minor leaguer. Silly me.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I copied this from Yahoo -

Texas baserunners embarrassed the battery of knuckleballer Tim Wakefield and catcher Victor Martinez for a club-record nine steals — also the most allowed by the Bosox since 1913.

• Elvis Andrus led the way with three steals, pulling off the feat without getting a hit.

• Nelson Cruz, who did swipe 20 last season but — c'mon, he's 240 pounds and likes to swing his boomstick — also had three.

• Vladimir Guerrero had two steals in one inning. He had two last season. And he might be 64 years old.

• Five of the steals came in the third inning alone — and somehow the Rangers scored only one run.

• The Rangers' old club record was eight steals, coming against the Red Sox in 2009.

• Texas went 18-for-18 stealing against the Red Sox last season.

• Boston catchers are a combined 1-for-31 in throwing out baserunners this season. The victim: Robinson Cano on April 7.

I'm not sure what to say - too early to panic? Of course. But VMart can't be behind the plate, and remember, Tek doesn't exactly have a cannon for an arm either.
    As thankful as I am to have Lowell still on the team, I'm pretty sure this is why the Red Sox were trying to trade him to Texas for a catcher. Teams aren't going to stop running on the Red Sox until the Red Sox decide to do something about it.
    Darnell who??
  • No kidding, he is making a case for himself, quick!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

nice to see Youkilis get that walkoff hit last night, he's been in a mini slump, a rarity for him early in the season
    Buchholz lets up three runs (better than Lester, better than Beckett, better than Wakefield) and takes a loss because the "offense" S-U-C-K-E-D once again. It was really a good game to watch for the fist six innings as Buchholz showed great command. He was pounding the strike zone with all of his pitches. Too bad the people who hold the wooden implements (on other teams they are called "hitters") mailed another one in.
    not to mention the Keystone Kops on defense...Is Beltre really a better at 3rd than Lowell?
  • i cannot believe the money they paid for Beltre lol. was this considered a bargain? highly overrated player, with ONE good year.
    Another squeaker against the lowly O's. The O's got to start winning sometime, hopefully not today.

Papelblown made it interesting again, but I am somewhat encourgaged -- looks like he may be getting his splitter back! That pitch is deadly when he gets it anywhere near the plate.
    John Henry: "I signed Beckett for how long? And how much? Arghh!"

<< <i>John Henry: "I signed Beckett for how long? And how much? Arghh!" >>

No chit. He has sucked since signing that contract. Give him a 5 run lead and gives up 6 the next inning. Fortunately for him, looks like the offense is bailing him out.

So thus far, Sucholz is the staff "ace" image
    One of the ESPN guys was saying Beckett is relying too much on his below average cut fastball.

I have got to say, I'm loving the way Jason Varitek is taking advantage of his limited playing time. I respect the hell out of that guy.

<< <i>One of the ESPN guys was saying Beckett is relying too much on his below average cut fastball.

I have got to say, I'm loving the way Jason Varitek is taking advantage of his limited playing time. I respect the hell out of that guy. >>

interestingly, Jerry Remy (who watches every game...unlike the people at ESPN) said more than once last night that the cut fastball was Beckett's best pitch

• << <i>One of the ESPN guys was saying Beckett is relying too much on his below average cut fastball.

. >>

Beckett needs to throw his curveball for strikes. It's that simple. If he gets hitters off balanced with his duece, then
    his fastball becomes unhittable. If his curveball is all over the place, then they sit on the fastball.
    curve sucked last night. In fact, everything he threw sucked. It was BP that Beckett had in his arm yesterday.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    For a team that is being built on pitching and defense, it's hard to swallow the fact that their pitching staff has given up more runs than any other team in the AL. And to boot - only Detroit and KC have made more errors than the Sox. Theo is going to need to swap out his prilosec for prozac by the all star break.
    How worthless is Beltre? Pretty pathetic performance for $9m per!!!

<< <i>How worthless is Beltre? Pretty pathetic performance for $9m per!!! >>

Agreed, but Buchholz is the exact opposite on the value scale! image
    how many expected to see that April would show Buchholz as the ace of the staff with Lackey, Beckett, Lester, and Wakefield being well below average for the month?

<< <i>how many expected to see that April would show Buchholz as the ace of the staff with Lackey, Beckett, Lester, and Wakefield being well below average for the month? >>

I would have thought Lester, maybe even Lackey, but the kid is really the most consistent starter right now. I believe Dice-K comes back in a few days, taking Wakefield's spot in the rotation. I wonder which Dice-K we will be getting?
  • Lester did the same thing last year and had a couple of god awful starts to being the season, then had a fantastic rest of the year. Beckett looks tired and hittable, def. not worth the money, he doesnt mix up his pitches. Dice K is painful to watch, and Lackey has yet to earn his keep. Overall a very disappointing start. Beltre is way way overpaid, he had ONE good year his whole career and his defense is overrated.

<< <i>Lester did the same thing last year and had a couple of god awful starts to being the season, then had a fantastic rest of the year. Beckett looks tired and hittable, def. not worth the money, he doesnt mix up his pitches. Dice K is painful to watch, and Lackey has yet to earn his keep. Overall a very disappointing start. Beltre is way way overpaid, he had ONE good year his whole career and his defense is overrated. >>

but other than that, it sure is a good team, eh? image
    Other than one really bad game against the Rays, Lackey has, in my opinion "earned his keep".

Lester is looking great so far tonight. Hopefully this is the turn around point for him this year.
    good performance by Sox pitchers tonight. And Papelblown didn't get anyone's blood pressure up (for a change).
    Now that is the Jon Lester we need to see. He was masterful last night.
    Beltre Sucks.

At least he got 3 hits...however I think his fielding is dismal at best.

Ortiz chokes again. I cannot believe how badly this man has imploded. Why didn't Tito yank him and PH Lowell, or some lowly guy on the bench. Time for Ortiz to do some soul searching, he's late on the ball and is beginning to kill the team in key situations. Playing the lowly O's should almost be gimme games given their stats. I really think that if Ortiz isn't straightened out by June, he is toast and will either be gone before the season is over or for sure, not return next year. Paying a guy over $80k per game to perform as he has is just insane. I say sit him and DH Lowell, or play Lowell and DH Beltre.

Beltre never sees a pitch he won't swing at. That being said, how many Sox are hitting worse than Beltre? The answer: ALL OF THEM. Beltre has the best batting average on the team. His OBP is highest among everyday players on the Sox too. The only everyday player with fewer strikeouts is Victor Martinez. If anyone on the Sox was hitting at all, he might have more than five runs scored with all the getting on base he is doing. So anyone who complains about Beltre at bat should watch more or at least examine the stats every now and then. If Ortiz had Beltre's OBP and BA stats, people would be in love with Papi again because he'd have a ton of RBIs given the chances he's had.

His five errors, yup that's inexcusably high unless he stops at five and commits zero the rest of the year. He was brought in for his glove, his price, and the potential of his bat, in that order.

When Adrian Beltre is leading your team in hitting and OBP, you're not going to the playoffs. The rest of the Sox needs to step up.

So what I'm saying is that Beltre is not the problem. Underperformance by Drew, Youkilis, Ortiz, Martinez, and most of the pitching staff is the problem.
    Yeah, yeah, Beltre just really pissed me off so much with that error. He gets all his hits while I am not watching. image
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reviewed the team stats today. All I can say is I'm glad it's still spring training.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    how about those Bruins!

As for the Sux...
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Why do the freaking O's look like good team every time they play us?

Holy crap!!!
  • The Orioles have 3 future long term all stars on that team: Wieters, Markakis and Jones. How can you not root for the underdogs image
    Red Sox totally blew it with the run prevent defense crapola. Beltre will fade quickly, Pedroia, Youklis and Martinez will all end up over .300 but there is NO power, no feared slugger on this team.