Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Red Sox

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict Ortiz will not strike out even once tonight.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I predict Ortiz will not strike out even once tonight. >>

Wow, let's call you Nostradamous.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Well, Ortiz didn't wait long to get back on track with a 1st inning strike out with runners on at the corner and only 1 out. Most clutch hitter in Red Sox history? Not anymore.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Lackey looks sharp in the early going - better than either Lester or Beckett so far. Nice win today, though Papelbon gives us another white-knuckle save by putting the tying run at the plate leading 6-3.
    Ortiz got a hit, I had to rewind and play it over and over again just to be sure.
    yuck, just watched the game. Some early-season thoughts:

1. The Sox are likely not in a hurry to extend Victor Martinez at a salary commensurate with other superstars at premium positions. V-Mart is no catcher. I think anyone on the team could pick up the gear and do an equal job behind the plate. Some may even be able to throw smoothly and accurately to second base. He's a DH or maybe a first baseman too (but who isn't?).
    2. Bill Hall doesn't have his head in the game all the time or he just sucks with the glove.
    3. JD Blew may strike out more than Little Papi this year. Neither seems to see the ball well so far and Blew plays more frequently

Long way to go, maybe they will find some skills when they entertain the Rays?
    I was just having a conversation with another Red Sox fan and we both agreed with what you were saying about Victor Martinez. Not only does his defense leave a lot to be desired, I haven't been impressed with his ability to call the game so far either.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Big Papi's last year under contract. So for next year, I'd like to see Martinez DH and play a little 1B and then I'd like to see the Red Sox get a defensive catcher who is actually a catcher.

How far away is Ryan Lavarnway from making the pros? 2 or 3 years maybe?

Lavarnway

• << <i>yuck, just watched the game. Some early-season thoughts:
    ? >>

My only early season thought is that it's still early in the season.

Anyone else notice how Span just destroyed Red Sox pitchers? Even when he wasn't getting on base he was having hugely productive 7 to 10 pitch at bats. Before today's game he was only hitting .156 but he has a .333 OBP. He walked 6 times in the 3-game series.

<< <i>I was just having a conversation with another Red Sox fan and we both agreed with what you were saying about Victor Martinez. Not only does his defense leave a lot to be desired, I haven't been impressed with his ability to call the game so far either.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Big Papi's last year under contract. So for next year, I'd like to see Martinez DH and play a little 1B and then I'd like to see the Red Sox get a defensive catcher who is actually a catcher.

How far away is Ryan Lavarnway from making the pros? 2 or 3 years maybe?

Lavarnway >>

Sox have a club option for Ortiz at about $12 million next year. I suspect they will not pick that option up. If Ortiz comes on strong like last year, maybe they offer him a much lesser amount just for show.

V Martinez is not under contract for next year. He will be looking for a big salary due to his premium position, even though he sucks at that position.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>V Martinez is not under contract for next year. He will be looking for a big salary due to his premium position, even though he sucks at that position. >>

Since when is 1B a premium position?

<< <i>

<< <i>V Martinez is not under contract for next year. He will be looking for a big salary due to his premium position, even though he sucks at that position. >>

Since when is 1B a premium position? >>

exactly my point. He will want salary for a catcher instead of what he is really capable of: excellent DH or so-so 1B
    Speaking of Drew, I didn't realize how awful his start to the season is - 4-28 with 13 strikeouts.

Same number of strikeouts as Ortiz.

<< <i>Speaking of Drew, I didn't realize how awful his start to the season is - 4-28 with 13 strikeouts.

Same number of strikeouts as Ortiz. >>

I dislike Drew more than I dislike Ortiz. At least Ortiz was good at one time.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad stats...

Drew 4-28, BA .143
    Ortiz 4-26, BA .154

Paying Drew $14m and Ortiz $13m is mind-numbing given the lack of anything positive. If they both don't improve during the current homestand, I'll call it an official meltdown...and furthermore, I'd go out on a bit of a limb and say Ortiz's days are numbered and for sure no option pickup in 2011. Nice guys both, but when it's between the white lines, you gotta produce or be toast. I suspect the boo-birds are gonna start singing in Fenway.
    The one thing I'll give to Drew that I can't to Ortiz is that at least Drew can contribute on defense. That's about as close to praise as I can get with Drew.
    if Blew doesn't get injured during pregame warm-ups, he's batting second tonight
    impotent image bases loaded, none out, at home in extra innings and they lose. image
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much fun as a wet fart.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    we need that drunk Philly fan to vomit on the entire Red Sox team
    Cameron blows that can of corn and it tells me this isn't going to be the best month for the Sox, maybe the year can be salvaged at some point...it won't be soon, this is ugly.
    Pretty pathetic baseball being played by the Red Sox...how can you lose a game when you have the bases juiced with no outs and Ortiz coming to bat? Just a nice fly ball wins the game, anything, but...Ortiz chokes AGAIN and the rest is history.

Now with the new center fielder, he decides to not catch the ball and sticks it into Bucky big time. Instead of getting out of the 1st inning with only 1 run scored, it goes 4-0 and another deep hole to dig out of. Ortiz needs to wake up or it's gonna be adios time, maybe not right away, but for sure his last season in Fenway with this dismal performance.

Yeah, I know it's cold, blah, blah, but our team is looking pretty bad right now. Painful to watch!!
    the part of yesterday's Sox games that I did enjoy was watching Buchholz bounce back. He looked really good for a few innings there after he recovered from the shock of Cameron's goof. If he can string a few more innings like that together, he will be one of the best 4th/5th starters in the league.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! Theo Epsteinn... How is that "Old School" Good Defense Solid pitching strategy working out?

The Red Sox are living up to my expecations for sure! They are not a great Baseball Team bottom line, hopefully they can turn it around but until then they suck as far as Im concerned.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm thinking the sellout streak could end this year. Why pay $500 and up (family of four) to go to a game to see this team? People are making their summertime ticket-buying decisions now and thinking twice.
    Well, here we are 5 games back and sinking like a stone. It is painful to watch the Red Sox play, they just don't seem to click or have it together. I suspect Theo etal are burning the midnight oil trying to either make trades or moves to figure out how to salvage things. At this point we can all but forget any champion anything...WS? Fuggedaboutit!! It will IMO, take close to a miracle to staighten this inept team out. Amazingly, the smallest guy on the club is keeping it rolling along (Pedroia), along with Tek and Youk.

FACTS:

Ortiz 6-35, .171 BA, $13m per
    Drew 5-38, .132 BA, $14m per

Pedroia 18-49, .367 BA, $1.750m per
    Varitek 5-12, .417 BA, $5m per

Go figure.

I will say now that Ortiz and Drew are toast, just a matter of time. Hopefully I will post in the future that I was wrong, but I don't think they can be salvaged.

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Power failure.

The new defense strategy won't work against the iron of the AL east - too many power hitters - good fielding won't stop a home run.

Besides, so far the new defense doesn't look that good.

Time to get rid of the tired old dogs, add some young power.

Otherwise, with good pitching, expect lots of 2-1, 3-2 type losses this year.

Capecards
    if the batters would just hit even close to their capabilities, there would be no problem with the offense. Lackey has been excellent, Beckett showed that he can be excellent, Buchholz threw an impressive game last time, and we're just waiting on Lester. Starting pitching should not be an issue at all if Lester wakes up. No excuse for poor defense. Cameron looks like a lead-glove award winner so far. Blew and Poopi are pretty much the reason for lack of runs. They have had plenty of opportunity to make a difference, and they've made one (for the other team)
    I'm looking forward to Lester's next start. He's 10-0 vs. the Orioles but he's just 2-6 lifetime in the months of March/April. Hopefully that will be the game that wakes him up.

Edited to add: I just looked at the batting averages of today's starting lineup. 6 of the starters are hitting .233 or under.

Ugh. It could be a long, frustrating season if things don't improve quickly.
    In case you're at work...the horror continues...

8-0 Rays in the 4th.
    Lackey was terrible.
    The defense has been terrible - 3 1/3 innings into the game and there are 2 more errors.
    The hitting is non-existent.

I am readjusting my expectations for this season. This is, in fact, a bridge season. I don't care what they try to say. This team isn't built to win squat.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm looking forward to Lester's next start. He's 10-0 vs. the Orioles but he's just 2-6 lifetime in the months of March/April. Hopefully that will be the game that wakes him up. >>

He's got two more starts in April, Baltimore & @ Tor. If history repeats itself, he will hopefully warm up after that. Otherwise, it's gonna get even more ugly.
    It's getting to the point that I won't be nervous about putting my fantasy baseball pitchers up against the Sox offense in Fenway. They're anemic. Exactly what is their BA with runners in scoring position on this homestand - I haven't looked it up, but I'd bet it starts with either a zero or one.
    I don't think the team is this bad, but right now they look pretty awful. And I really don't know what the answer is.
    Adrian Gonzalez.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the team is this bad, but right now they look pretty awful. And I really don't know what the answer is. >>

They're not that bad. I hate to say it as a Sox fan...but I really think Tampa is that good.

<< <i>Adrian Gonzalez. >>

Coulda used him to start the season - I still think we acquired the wrong Adrian in the off season. Where would we fit him in? It's not like Youk can move to the OF, we saw how that idea played out a few years ago.
    The Sox have too many old parts cluttering things up right now. Right now though, I'd be happy to have Adrian Gonzalez hit DH and Big Papi can be an overpaid clubhouse jester.

I've been giving this some thought this morning and what I've decided is that I would feel better about this rough stretch if the team was losing games but playing the way they were supposed to. If we were seeing good pitching and solid defense but the guys just weren't hitting enough to win games then I could at least accept it. But they're losing games 7-1 and 8-2 with terrible defense and terrible pitching.

• << <i>...but I really think Tampa is that good. >>

Yep. More talent on this club than the '08 team. Long season ahead though!
  • UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's getting to the point that I won't be nervous about putting my fantasy baseball pitchers up against the Sox offense in Fenway. They're anemic. Exactly what is their BA with runners in scoring position on this homestand - I haven't looked it up, but I'd bet it starts with either a zero or one. >>

The answer to your question from CBS Sports and you are correcting, it starts with a zero : "Playing on the morning of the Boston Marathon, the Red Sox lost their sixth straight at home, their longest losing streak at Fenway since a 12-game skid in 1994. Boston (4-9) finished 0 for 30 with runners in scoring position during the series, with Jeremy Hermida's two-run homer the only runs in the finale. "

as much as fans hate the current situation, think about the owners who have sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into salary alone...and got what in return?
  • yeah i just feel awful about the ownership lol..
    how can you not root for Tampa Bay this season? Crawford and Pena probably wont be back next year...I wish the fans in Tampa packed the stadium to see these guys. Shields, Garza and Neimann are fantastic pitchers to watch. Tampa Bay needs to shore up their pen and think they will contend for the East if not the wild card. I still cannot believe they swept the bosox though!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen anything promising from the Sox, nope not one thing. From pitching, to hitting, to fielding it has all been bad!
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To early to panic people, this team will get it togetherimage
    Pedroia is off to a good start, 5 homers, and 13 ribs. Lets hope he infects the others with his bat.
    The starting pitching is to good to throw in the towel, IMHO.
    It was not a fun weekend, especially hanging out with my Yankee friends. image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>as much as fans hate the current situation, think about the owners who have sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into salary alone...and got what in return? >>

The owners of the Sox are EXACTLY who are to blame for this! Im just a dumb fan but even I knew that they were making catastrophic mistakes- lets address a few of them.

Signing Mike Lowell AFTER the 07 Season was a BIG mistake, there is no reason they needed to throw the money and years at him like that, injuries and age considered it was really bad.

JD Drew? Enough frigen said

Mike Cameron? Adrien Beltre? What a JOKE.

I said they needed to do whatever it takes to get a bat in the lineup to replace Manny and they never did.

Victor Martinez is the only decent signing they did last year.
  • Victor Martinez has a nice bat, but he is one of the worst catchers I have ever seen. No arm ! Cant stop a ball in the dirt either !

We could use one of your pitchers, maybe that Beckett kid....
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    you guys are right, Pedroia is killing it. I just dont think Beltre/cameron can make up for Manny's bat, plus it is pretty obvious he protected Oritz

<< <i>you guys are right, Pedroia is killing it. I just dont think Beltre/cameron can make up for Manny's bat, plus it is pretty obvious he protected Oritz >>

the PEDs didn't hurt either

<< <i>Victor Martinez has a nice bat, but he is one of the worst catchers I have ever seen. No arm ! Cant stop a ball in the dirt either !

We could use one of your pitchers, maybe that Beckett kid.... >>

I'm glad that an AL Central fan has this perspective as well. As a Sox fan, the only times I watched V-Mart play was when he made the Baseball Tonight highlights or when the Indians played the Red Sox a couple times a season. I knew he wasn't valued for his glove before, but I had no idea that he was as bad defensively as he was. I feel like the Red Sox sold him as this guy that could spend an off-season at Varitek's shoulder and he'd start the season knowing how to handle pitchers, how to call a game, and maybe even block a ball in the dirt. How foolish was I? And so far, I haven't even seen an improvement in throwing out runners and given that Varitek was terrible at trying to throw guys out, that's saying something.
    I'll certainly go along with Von's comments. Vmart just isn't getting it done and appears to me that he isn't going to improve.

I'll bet Theo has excedrin headache # 4000 trying to figure all this out. Appears to me there is close to a total meltdown in defense and offense with few exceptions. The Red Sox are known for playing well at home, but this is beyond brutal.

So, what happens to Bucky when DiceK comes back? And, will DiceK continue to pitch poorly?

what a mess!!!