Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Red Sox

Comments

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how about those Bruins!

As for the Sux... >>

Yeah, I was going to start a Bruins Bandwagon thread, but do not want to jinx them.

BTW, is there anyone in Pawtucket or Portland that can pitch better that Wake and Dice K, if those pathetic performances continue? I would think so.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it too soon to start the 2011 Red Sox thread? image

<< <i>is it too soon to start the 2011 Red Sox thread? image >>

No, it's still early to give up on 2010. I think in 2007 the Yankees started at 11-19 and ended up winning the divison, so there's still time.

Tampa was not a good team that year, though.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swept by the O's??? WTF!!!!!!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I know it's early in the season, but does anyone really think this team is better than the Yankees or Rays?

Because they will have to be better than one or both of those teams to make the playoffs.
    Capecards
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I know it's early in the season, but does anyone really think this team is better than the Yankees or Rays?

Because they will have to be better than one or both of those teams to make the playoffs. >>

I don't.

I'm still rooting for them every day, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope for making the playoffs.

<< <i>I know it's early in the season, but does anyone really think this team is better than the Yankees or Rays?

Because they will have to be better than one or both of those teams to make the playoffs. >>

the Sox have the POTENTIAL to have the best starting pitching in the AL East. They are far from living up to that potential so far.
    just read that Dave Roberts has Hodgkins Lymphoma. He's undergone two rounds of chemo and says he expects to beat it. Best wishes to the man!
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>just read that Dave Roberts has Hodgkins Lymphoma. He's undergone two rounds of chemo and says he expects to beat it. Best wishes to the man! >>

I agree - Roberts will always be remembered for his part on the 2004 team. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to him.

And, how about Lowell tonight (as DH) going 4-4 as the Sox pile up 17 runs of offense. I guess Theo shook the team up today when he mentioned "changes".
    I hadn't heard that about Roberts yet. He'll always be a hero to me.

As for the 2010 Red Sox, I can't figure them out. They get swept by the Orioles but manage to crush the Angels?
    now there are two pitchers who have decided to step up: Lester joined Buchholz last night. Maybe Beckett and Lackey will notice and start to do better.
    Sox win, Lackey looks like he earned his paycheck for the week (all things being relative).

How about the first person to get bounced from the team this year be Tim Bogar? He has zippo situational awareness when it comes to sending/holding runners at third base. Reminds me of Dale Sveum, he's that bad.
    Yeah, he sent Varitek home in a close game the other day and he was so far out he didn't even bother sliding. It was stupid.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of Wendell Kim - sending Tek was horrendous.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    before I believe a sweep of the Angels means something, the Sox will need to validate that sweep by taking 2 out of 3 from the Yankees.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree - 2 out of three at the least. Beckett needs to be sharp tonight.
    Barndog and ctsoxfan took the words right out of my mouth...big series in Fenway beginning tonight. Could be a turning point or same old, same old. Still hard to believe the O's swept us, for sure I figured that was a 2/3 deal at least. Ortiz still spotty, but things could be on the upward trend. I still think more of Lowell in at least the DH will be more beneficial to the team. Varitek needs more playing time as well, he appears to have found his way at the plate.

Let's hope for the best, should be some good baseball.

Imagine the LAA had to fly to Seattle after the game last night!! They probably got to Seattle when most East coast folks were heading to work...gotta mess up your rest and timing. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get hammered by Seattle tonight, LAA in a major slump.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Beckett WAS looking sharp
    Yo, Josh...9 earned ain't gonna cut it!!!
    Beckett is looking like an overpaid 5th guy in the rotation.
    might this be the first year in a while that the Sox are net sellers come July 31? Shaping up that way.

<< <i>Beckett WAS looking sharp >>

No chit -- I thought he was headed for a shutout -- everything working the first 3 innings. Then the hanging curve ball to Swisher, and the wheels come off. Seems to be more mental than physical with him lately.

Well, let's see if Sucholz can step up against CC.
  • Beckett is all done.
    what is the record for errors by a Red Sox third baseman? It is in jeopardy this year, whatever it is.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Ah, now I see the clever strategy:

Get the Yanks and Rays overconfident early in the season.
    Capecards
  • release Ortiz, trade for a big stick and realize that run prevent strategy just aint gonna cut it.

wasted money on Cameron and Beltre.
    I lay this mess mostly at the feet of Theo who made the trades. He is up to his eyeballs in this mess, including the insane resigning of Becket. Ortiz is clearly on his way to a very embarrassing season, Beltre is very spotty at best, Cameron is selling hotdogs at Remy's, DiceK is a no show...on and on. Far too many RISPs left stranded and the team appears to be a bit disjointed to me. Seven errors at 3rd already and he's getting $9m for 6 month of playing baseball...dumb, very, very dumb. The $64m man gives up 9 earned and pouts in the dugout like "what up??"...

It will take a miracle at this point (given current performance) to pull this season out of the fire. A win and sweep by the Yankees tonight would shove the Sox close to 10 back. It appears to me that the light at the end of the tunnel is definitely that of an on-coming train. I can only hope that time proves me wrong, but it ain't lookin' too good for Red Sox Nation at this point.

Pretty bad when even I switch off before the game ends.
    so who is not available to interested trading partners? I think it would be Pedroia, Youkilis, Bard, Lackey, Buchholz, and maybe Ellsbury on the major league roster. I realize a bunch of players have no-trade rights.
    oops, forgot to put Lester's name in there too.
    Burnett must have felt sorry for the Sox. Why else would he pitch high in the zone so much?
    Squeaked out another one
    At least the bullpen looked good yesterday. And the offense, but I think a lot of that had more to do with the Blue Jays not being able to throw strikes for a couple innings straight.

It's hard to get excited about this team when the big aces are giving up 6 runs in 6 innings (or worse).

I think Papi is finished, but Pedroia disagrees. Here's a short (but funny) interview clip:
    Pedroia has Ortiz's Back
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least the bullpen looked good yesterday. And the offense, but I think a lot of that had more to do with the Blue Jays not being able to throw strikes for a couple innings straight.

It's hard to get excited about this team when the big aces are giving up 6 runs in 6 innings (or worse).

I think Papi is finished, but Pedroia disagrees. Here's a short (but funny) interview clip:
    Pedroia has Ortiz's Back >>

Classic - "Laser show" I love it

Matsuzaka threw lots of strikes with the fastball yesterday, great news. The Sox scored six runs thanks to terrible Jays pitching. Many of the runs came without benefit of a hit to produce an RBI. That's disturbing. Varitek seems to be getting younger or healthier or luckier, not sure which yet.

Amazed still that there is no pitch too high, too low, too far outside that Adrian Beltre won't swing at.
    Alert the press...FLASH, FLASH...Ortiz reaches the Mendoza line.
  • Papi image
    Two great swings by Ortiz tonight, hopefully a sign of better things to come. I'll have to tone down my drum beat for his head if he keeps this up.
    ok I will put my torch and pitchfork back in the shed for a few weeks
    still no need to start Ortiz against left-handed pitching.
    here's my problem with the concept of "closer"

the closer is supposed to be a team's shutdown pitcher. All hell is breaking loose and you bring this guy in and everything is better again. So yesterday when the game was on the line in the 8th inning and it was obvious after one batter (and more so after two, three, etc) that Chokajima had nothing to offer, why the wait until the game is already tied to bring in Papelbon? A closer is a guy who is supposed to deliver the win for you, like Gossage used to "in the old days." His team would get a lead, even a small one, or be in a pinch in late innings (could have even been the 7th), and Goose comes in and shuts the other guys down. That freakin' save statistic has warped some otherwise right-thinking baseball minds (MLB managers) into mismanaging their teams and losing games that were there for the taking.

I wish Francoma would wake up to this.

<< <i>here's my problem with the concept of "closer"

the closer is supposed to be a team's shutdown pitcher. All hell is breaking loose and you bring this guy in and everything is better again. So yesterday when the game was on the line in the 8th inning and it was obvious after one batter (and more so after two, three, etc) that Chokajima had nothing to offer, why the wait until the game is already tied to bring in Papelbon? A closer is a guy who is supposed to deliver the win for you, like Gossage used to "in the old days." His team would get a lead, even a small one, or be in a pinch in late innings (could have even been the 7th), and Goose comes in and shuts the other guys down. That freakin' save statistic has warped some otherwise right-thinking baseball minds (MLB managers) into mismanaging their teams and losing games that were there for the taking.

I wish Francoma would wake up to this. >>

I agree. Relief pitchers are being babied nowadays. Maybe they need to now because they throw harder on average, but I recall a lot of hard throwers in the 70s who pitched complete games all the time (i.e. Ryan), or releived multiple innings (i.e. Gossage). And yet it seems there are as many or even more arm problems now as there were in the 1970s. Pitching "toughness" is non-existant.
    Ok, a recap of nickname list:

1. Papelblown -- has developed other pitches this year -- almost off the list now (but 2 or 3 more weeks of consistentcy needed to make up for 2009 ALDS).
    2. Chokajima -- solidly on list now.
    3. Sucholz -- making progress, 2 more quality starts and he is off the list
    4. Bootaro -- Still not impressed, wish the Sox would not unload shortstops who play well for them (A-Gon now in top 5 HR and RBI with solid defense).
    5. Big Poopy, Floppy, whatever -- coming around, but am still skeptical. A solid May will get him off the list.
    6. J.D. Blew -- Also coming around, but needs to go on a tear to get off list. He's being paid to be a power hitter, not to get walks.
    7. Matzusucka -- Encouraging last start, needs to string a few quality starts to get off list
    8. Delcarmen and R. Ramirez -- Have sucked lately, they need nicknames (maybe hold off on Delcarmen for now).
    9. Schowenweis -- Should be Designated for Assignment. Even Van Every is better than him.

<< <i>Ok, a recap of nickname list:

1. Papelblown -- has developed other pitches this year -- almost off the list now (but 2 or 3 more weeks of consistentcy needed to make up for 2009 ALDS).
    2. Chokajima -- solidly on list now.
    3. Sucholz -- making progress, 2 more quality starts and he is off the list
    4. Bootaro -- Still not impressed, wish the Sox would not unload shortstops who play well for them (A-Gon now in top 5 HR and RBI with solid defense).
    5. Big Poopy, Floppy, whatever -- coming around, but am still skeptical. A solid May will get him off the list.
    6. J.D. Blew -- Also coming around, but needs to go on a tear to get off list. He's being paid to be a power hitter, not to get walks.
    7. Matzusucka -- Encouraging last start, needs to string a few quality starts to get off list
    8. Delcarmen and R. Ramirez -- Have sucked lately, they need nicknames (maybe hold off on Delcarmen for now).
    9. Schowenweis -- Should be Designated for Assignment. Even Van Every is better than him. >>

how about Schowenmethedoor which is what the Sox should do; I don't know on Ramirez, maybe Ramon Rambbhrirez?

And Victor Martinez is hitting at the Poopy level while throwing out runners at an alarming rate. He will hit or challenge us to find a good name for him
    and another walkfest like that and it will be John Lacking.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    WOW! what an amazing series!!! was at the 5/15 comeback game and that was a THRILL!!! especially with the RedSox nation firmly planted all around our seats!! And socking it to 'Lacking' shortly after was golden! he looked pissed the whole game..... Sorry guys, with the Yanks and Rays doing what they're doing, yr gonna have to wait...... Let me help with the names.... Jon (flushed down with a) Les-terd?

<< <i>WOW! what an amazing series!!! was at the 5/15 comeback game and that was a THRILL!!! especially with the RedSox nation firmly planted all around our seats!! And socking it to 'Lacking' shortly after was golden! he looked pissed the whole game..... Sorry guys, with the Yanks and Rays doing what they're doing, yr gonna have to wait...... Let me help with the names.... Jon (flushed down with a) Les-terd? >>

Lester doesn't suck, so he keeps the name his mamma gave him.
    5-0 NYY in the first. Ouch.

<< <i>5-0 NYY in the first. Ouch. >>

Nice, the Sox now have a $100 million mop-up pitcher.

<< <i>

<< <i>5-0 NYY in the first. Ouch. >>

Nice, the Sox now have a $100 million mop-up pitcher. >>

well here we go into the bottom of the 9th, quite a turn around
    Sure got quiet at King George Stadium. imageimage