Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Red Sox

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I originally posted this on the Registry page in error...guess I was still in a funk. Anyway, my earlier thoughts on Papelblown...

Seemed as though the Red Sox were cruising for a much needed sweep of the Jays in Toronto, up 5-2 in the 9th, what could possibly go wrong???

Oooooops, suddenly it's 5-3 with Bautista sending Lackless to the showers with the round tripper. Now cue the theme song to Mighty Mouse..."Here I am to save the day, yadda, yadda", in comes the feared closer, # 58 (aka Papelblown). Badda BOOM, Wells doubles to left, Lind singles and scores Wells, now 5-4. Wise in for Lind steals second. Hill gets an infield hit, Wise to third. But, we have Mighty Mouse...right? NOT. Encarnacion doubles, Wise scores, Hill to third, game tied, blown save number 6, Lackless now chewing nails.

Mighty Mouse relieved by Bard...deep fly Lewis scores Hill, game ovah.

Tis a sad day on Yawkey Way.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    offseason trade PLEASE!!!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Never mind.

Too depressed to comment after watching that game.
    Capecards
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    In other news, Ellsbury is back on the DL. Again.
  • Ellsbury is made of glass it seems.
    Oh well, I guess I should be happy with two championships in my lifetime.
    Capecards
  • lol, yeah you really should have no complaints. sox fans waited decades of heartbreak, theny the got spoiled. cant win every year,
    When did the first base coach get toasted? I don't recall reading anything about the change, anyone know the details?

<< <i>When did the first base coach get toasted? I don't recall reading anything about the change, anyone know the details? >>

family member has big medical issues. More on NESN.com, here's a start: Text
    Thanks Barn, what a horrible accident. Let's hope she'll recover and they nail the POS that hit her.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Amen to that, Al!
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Lackey looked wicked good last night!

It's like every time he pitches against the halo's he's going out with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

I'like it!

Papelbon looked decent for a change... still gotta earn my respect back though.

<< <i>Lackey looked wicked good last night!

It's like every time he pitches against the halo's he's going out with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

I'like it!

Papelbon looked decent for a change... still gotta earn my respect back though. >>

obviously, Lacking's remarkable run of lame starts at $17 million/season has helped you to lower your expectations. ERA is abysmal (not Josh Beckett-abysmal, but quite lousy) and he let up five earned in seven innings last night against one of the weaker offenses the LAA have fielded in quite some time. I continue to be unimpressed with Lacking. Wonder where he ranks in the run support department to have such a good win-loss record. The Sox offense and some timely defense won last night's game

<< <i>

<< <i>Lackey looked wicked good last night!

I'like it!

Papelbon looked decent for a change... still gotta earn my respect back though. >>

obviously, Lacking's remarkable run of lame starts at $17 million/season has helped you to lower your expectations. ERA is abysmal (not Josh Beckett-abysmal, but quite lousy) and he let up five earned in seven innings last night against one of the weaker offenses the LAA have fielded in quite some time. I continue to be unimpressed with Lacking. Wonder where he ranks in the run support department to have such a good win-loss record. The Sox offense and some timely defense won last night's game >>

Great point! Looking back after taking a few steps back to look at the big picture, I think I've become numb to mediocre performance. I look at 7 innings with a lead turned over to the pen and justify a quality start and job well done by a starter, when in reality I think I've just been so disgusted with Crapelbon all season that I overlook the fact that our offense has been carrying us through dismal performances.
    Lackey wasn't great and the Rays and Yankees both won. I have a bad baseball attitude these days. image
    Lackless' pay (not to play top you), is $18.7m per season. Assuming he gets 30 starts, he is laughing (loudly), all the way to the bank at getting a truly minid-boggling $621.333 per start. Imagine having the talent to just throw a baseball for 7 innings +/- and get paid waaaaaay over a half-mil each time you take the mound!!! Clearly he ain't worth the coin, nor is Papelblown or JD.

Only 41 games to go, Rays and Yanks ain't slowin' down, thus it is a hill to high to climb at this point. The O's are coming around nicely under Showalter, so there are no gimmie games there. Red Sox have 6 left with the Yanks, Rays and Os, that's 18 our of 41 for a club just over .500. Just ain't gonna happen. Only a true miracle will pull this one out of the bag...in the distance, I hope I'm wrong, but the sand in the hour-glass is just running out. If the Red Sox can't get on a real rip and win 2-3 going forward, they are wicked toast.

Odd I thought that Pedroia didn't at least acknowledge the crowd as they gave him a welcoming standing-O. I wonder why players, especially pitchers who are being cheered by the fans can't at least wave or do some minor something to recognize the fans.

Would appreciate any updates on the little lady in Tennesse. Zero news here in Atlanta.
    from Simon and Garfunkel...

Slip slidin away
    Slip slidin away
    You know the nearer your destination
    The more you're slip slidin away

God only knows
    God makes his plan
    The informations unavailable
    To the mortal man
    We work our jobs
    Collect our pay
    Believe were gliding down the highway
    When in fact were slip slidin away

Slip slidin away
    Slip slidin away

Slip slidin away
    Mmm...

imagine, Beckett is the #5 pitcher on the team. Well, maybe #6 since Wakefield has been better.
    Pedroia is back on the DL. Is there any reason for someone to pay for tickets for the last few weeks of the year? Scalpers may keep the sellout streak alive with all they have already purchased, but ticket-seeking fans sure won't
    Cue S&G above.
    Beckett went from 120 to zero to suck in three seconds. Francoma should learn and just pull Beckett after five, maybe six innings.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    why do they have to show glimmers of greatness, just give up and let us stop thinking "What if"
    No kidding.

But now it sounds like Pedroia might not try to come back this year so maybe that will help us put away those lingering "what if" questions.

It wasn't a bad season. It just wasn't good enough to get it done this year. Not in the AL East anyway.
    I think the team will continue to do the win 2, lose 1, win 1, lose 2. This while the Yankees and Rays continue to open the gap by mini-streaks and obviously not losing. Far too many injuries and inept play this year. I honestly don't know who will go and who will stay. I do believe that Borass has bent the ear of Ellsbury big time and something tells me he may well be gone. Losing Youkilis was the final nail, Pedroia was just the light-switch that made the statement more than clear.

This hooplah over the former centerfielder, aka J. Damon was laughable. What, what on earth could this man do to help the team out of the hole it's in? NADA! Let's not forget the weak arm, and spotty fielding. A few homers, BFD. What a moron..."I love Detroit", sure, I'd rather live in Detroit than Boston...NOT!!!

If there is a miracle, I will more than happily eat every negative word I've written...there's just no strong pitching and spotty performance by the position players. Not enough games left to recover and a long haul with the Division teams we need to beat, but won't.

There is always 2011. Keep da faith.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    well he could probably buy most of Detroit
    Why they allowed Bucky out in the 8th is a mystery to me. What happened to the Bard/Papelbon closeout? Deja vu Pedro.

History will show this season was lost by the bullpen. Trade them ALL (except Bard).

<< <i>Why they allowed Bucky out in the 8th is a mystery to me. What happened to the Bard/Papelbon closeout? Deja vu Pedro.

History will show this season was lost by the bullpen. Trade them ALL (except Bard). >>

I was thinking the same thing!
  • It's hard to have a must win in August, but after Saturdays loss (thanks Tito) Sunday was a must win. Somebody - please anybody - put a fork in the Red Sox. I am starting the soprano of a fat lady while I am looking at the trapeze artists..............in others words, they're done!!!!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a fork in 'em.
    Yet another Lackey Letdown, and a squandering of a great performance by Buchholz the night before. And please Francoma, stop using that bum Atchison and send him back to the minors.

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL???? image
    Just when you think it can't get any worse...

Guess who's in Fenway this weekend??? Da White Sox, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

<< <i>It's hard to have a must win in August, but after Saturdays loss (thanks Tito) Sunday was a must win. Somebody - please anybody - put a fork in the Red Sox. I am starting the soprano of a fat lady while I am looking at the trapeze artists..............in others words, they're done!!!! >>

check my post on August 3

<< <i>Youkilis is now on the DL.

image >>

I think the fat lady is already taking her bow.
    FWIW, the Sox moved DelCarmen to the Rockies today for a single-A prospect.

• << <i>

<< <i>Youkilis is now on the DL.

image >>

I think the fat lady is already taking her bow. >>

Funny
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have really hung in there given all of the injuries. Seems like a season that wasn't meant to be - despite a very good record. Hats off to Tito.
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>They have really hung in there given all of the injuries. Seems like a season that wasn't meant to be - despite a very good record. Hats off to Tito. >>

yeah, imagine if Beckett or Lackey showed up at all. Or if Papelblown didn't suck 25% of the time.
    I think Tito (with few exceptions) did about as well as he could have. The bulk of this year's performance lies with those who cross the white lines...the players. Pitching is clearly the biggest part of the game, Lackey, Beckett, DiceK and the bullpen simply didn't pitch to the quality needed to win more games. One need not look too far to see the one run losses, blown saves, or late inning defeats. They all add up, and now the fat lady is on vacation...season ovah. Beckett at 4-4...c'mon, not for the coin he gets!

Offense was spotty at best, the bats were silent too many times. Ortiz off to a very slow start, JD was here and there, and once Pedroia and Youkilis went down, the deal was sealed. The outfield became a hodge podge of rookies, newcomers and lacked cohesiveness. Second base became a revolving door, SS was ok, but Scutaro was eclipsed by the recovered Lowrie.

There was no string of wins to speak of, I think the records will show a 5-win streak once and that's it. No "cushion" was built up to rely upon in case of key players going down, or just a season slump, which is inevitable with all teams. Our slump just never recovered, we just got to peek out of the hole, but then lost our footing again.

The ongoing Ellsbury, Lowell, Varitek scenarios only added to the mix of "the hand-writing is on the wall". I would not be surprised to see serious changes in the roster come April 1, 2011...which BTW is oddly a Friday, first time since 1905 that the season doesn't begin on a Monday.

Now we have the upcoming unpleasant experience of the whacko returning for the weekend series. No doubt he will be DHing, which should mean he'll get about 12 ABs...you gotta know he's shooting for the Mass. Pike, as in ovah the monster.

GO PATRIOTS!!
    I hate to keep bringing this up because it ultimately doesn't matter, but the most frustrating part of this season for me continues to be the fact that I feel like the Red Sox have been terrible but in reality, if you dropped them in any other division they'd still be in the thick of the playoff race.

Whether they wanted it to be one or not, 2010 turned out to be a "bridge year" after all.
    8 games back (7 in the wild card) with 29 to play.

All we have to do now is win 29 in a row, and hope the Yankees and Rays do worse than 21-8, and we'll win the division.
    Capecards
    Regardless of Manny being there, perfect weather at home, Bucky and Lackey, figuring you've got a shot at a double win, with the Rays on the horizon...NOT

At this stage of the season, championship teams rise to the occasion and meet the challenge, clearly the Red Sox are not in this category this year. Two runs in 18 innings is worse than pathetic.

Time for Paul to bring the curtain down on this thread.

<< <i>Regardless of Manny being there, perfect weather at home, Bucky and Lackey, figuring you've got a shot at a double win, with the Rays on the horizon...NOT

At this stage of the season, championship teams rise to the occasion and meet the challenge, clearly the Red Sox are not in this category this year. Two runs in 18 innings is worse than pathetic.

Time for Paul to bring the curtain down on this thread. >>

One problem is the AAA players (about half the team) are finally coming down to earth.
    I don't think I can find the proper words to describe Papelbon's performance...or did Francona leave him in too long? Today's game gives clear evicence as to why the Red Sox are not a championship calibre team. Forget the Rookies, there are some very high paid players who just appear to be more focused on deer season than winning a pennant.

I think this is my last post for this year...BEYOND DISGUSTED.
    it's just humorous now.
    The weird thing is, despite today's hideous nightmare of a performance, they still have a better record than the Texas Rangers.
    Capecards

• << <i>The weird thing is, despite today's hideous nightmare of a performance, they still have a better record than the Texas Rangers. >>

Yes, and the Red Sox will have all offseason to think about its "better than the Texas Rangers" record.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

<< <i>The weird thing is, despite today's hideous nightmare of a performance, they still have a better record than the Texas Rangers. >>

another team that owns the Sox image

<< <i>Papeldouche strikes again >>

And again, and again, and again. image
    500! image

That's it, nothing else to see here.