Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Topps Baseball discussion

Comments

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Wowsers, Keith, what great looking cards! The Williams looks fantastic. I've been having a challenging time just finding a well-centered Nm one, raw or graded. Each one of those 8's look high-end and could easily have been graded 9. I particulary like your Jack Crimian.

I got lucky and bought a raw Crimian that was conservatively described as Ex. It's centered nearly perfectly and looks Nm to me. I'm very happy with it.
    Brett
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Keith,

Love the obvious attention you pay to centering. I can see that you don't purchase the first 8 that comes along. Question: I see that you have both PSA and SGC graded cards. Do you have a registry with either company? If so, how do you handle crossing from one slab to the other? Once again I applaud you for some beautiful cards.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

<< <i>Keith,

Love the obvious attention you pay to centering. I can see that you don't purchase the first 8 that comes along. Question: I see that you have both PSA and SGC graded cards. Do you have a registry with either company? If so, how do you handle crossing from one slab to the other? Once again I applaud you for some beautiful cards. >>

Thank you very much. My set is registered with PSA (link is in my sigline). Although I have a few SGC graded cards, I've never considered starting an SGC registry set simply because there are just so few available. As far as crossing them over, I may one day make the attempt but for now I'm content just to purchase a card that catches my eye whether it's in a PSA or SGC holder. I do wish to have a complete PSA graded set one day, but my main goal is to put together the nicest set I possibly can regardless of grading company (SGC and PSA only, all others are not under consideration).

Here are a few more cards that hopefully may be in PSA holders one day.

image....image

image....image
    Keith
  • Options
    Holy smoke, Keith, does it ever end? What spectacular cards you have. I wish to second mrpeanut's admiration for the attention you give to centering and overall quality. Every card looks MINT.
    Brett
  • Options
    nice
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>...I do wish to have a complete PSA graded set one day, but my main goal is to put together the nicest set I possibly can regardless of grading company (SGC and PSA only, all others are not under consideration).... >>

Good for you, Keith.

I have (2) 100% complete PSA-graded FB sets on the Registry. In building both sets, I often "upgraded" great-looking 8's in favor of 9's that didn't look near as nice. Naturally, this was ego-driven. I became so obsessed with seeing my set climb higher on the list that I sacrificed card quality. In retrospect, I wish I had stuck with the best-looking card, regardless of the grade.

Speaking strictly for myself, moving high up on the Registry list was more a demonstration of my willingness to spend money than it was of my ability to recognize quality cards.

In short, I was more concerned with building the highest graded set possible, not the nicest.

Please keep those beauties coming.
    Brett
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...I do wish to have a complete PSA graded set one day, but my main goal is to put together the nicest set I possibly can regardless of grading company (SGC and PSA only, all others are not under consideration).... >>

Good for you, Keith.

I have (2) 100% complete PSA-graded FB sets on the Registry. In building both sets, I often "upgraded" great-looking 8's in favor of 9's that didn't look near as nice. Naturally, this was ego-driven. I became so obsessed with seeing my set climb higher on the list that I sacrificed card quality. In retrospect, I wish I had stuck with the best-looking card, regardless of the grade.

Speaking strictly for myself, moving high up on the Registry list was more a demonstration of my willingness to spend money than it was of my ability to recognize quality cards.

In short, I was more concerned with building the highest graded set possible, not the nicest.

Please keep those beauties coming. >>

WELL SAID...and this is why I have on numerous occasions upgraded a card with a downgrade. One for example was a 57 topps psa 8 Billy Loes to a psa 5.....but it just looked better to me!!!!
  • Options
    Brett,

Eveything you just wrote also applies to me. At one point not too long ago, I was more concerned about overall gpa than quality and eye appeal. I've since replaced several 9's with 8's that I thought looked better and will continue to do so. I wouldn't even mind picking up 7's with great eye appeal, but it takes enough time already going through the listings for eights and nines and the really nice sevens don't come about as often. There's nothing wrong with going for high gpa as the only goal as everyone has his own reasons for collecting, but I've found it's not for me.

Keith
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I need a well centered wally burdette and im technically finished with my set...id like to upgrade some OC cards....like Cletis Boyer...anybody got either of those in 5-8 grade well centered?

Loth
  • Options
    A couple of recent acquisitions:

image....image
    Keith
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet cards. Your stuff always impresses.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I am down to two cards to complete the set: #201 Amoros and #313 Parnell. If anyone has either of these is PSA 6 or 7 (or SGC equivalent), please PM me. Thanks.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I am totally redoing my set of these. PSA 8 high end and PSA 9 only. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Keith,

Two more fantastic cards. Boyd is really a tough one. Yours is the nicest I've seen...by far.
    Brett
  • Options
    In building my '57 set, I've been satisfied with Ex or Ex-mt cards in most cases. I sent in about 100 cards on the recent $5 specials and averaged about 6.5 on the grades. I was very pleased overall. Here are some of my most noteworthy successes. I'll be the first to admit that the grades on a couple of them are generous, but I'll not throw 'em back. All were raw pick ups except for #2 Berra (SCD 7) and #70 Ashburn (GAI 7) which were crackouts.

Brett
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Brett you did really well..Congrats
  • Options
    As almost all of this thread is inhabited by true collectors, has anyone run across "U***L" on E-Bay? This cretin bids on every single 1957 PSA 8 or better. When he wins, the card is up for sale a week later at double his winning bid. SOB's like this take all the fun out of collecting.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As almost all of this thread is inhabited by true collectors, has anyone run across "U***L" on E-Bay? This cretin bids on every single 1957 PSA 8 or better. When he wins, the card is up for sale a week later at double his winning bid. SOB's like this take all the fun out of collecting.

What is his sellers ID? Ebay does not hide that ID. Do they sell? And BTW Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Ah, you have run into "pauljas". The guy is a 57 freak who bids on any and all 57's, it seems. I've actually sold cards to him offline, he's a nice guy but a complete nut. He claimed with me he was just continuously upgrading his own set but I think he just bids on any and all 57's.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Ah, you have run into "pauljas". The guy is a 57 freak who bids on any and all 57's, it seems. I've actually sold cards to him offline, he's a nice guy but a complete nut. He claimed with me he was just continuously upgrading his own set but I think he just bids on any and all 57's. >>

heh. indeed, he even purchased some graded '57 Topps Robin Hood cards from me a few years ago, wanted 'em bad. image
  • Options
    Thank you, fellas. I have no problem bidding against someone who collects, but this re-selling stuff is for the birds. Also, nice to meet y'all. I'm at #12 with this set on the basic registry under "GoldenEagle".
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an extra Brooks Robinson in low-grade condition? I'm building an all-raw Robinson Topps collection, and all I need is the '57 and the '67. I'm only concerned about the front, so back marker or paper loss is no big deal. Please respond or PM me if you have one that you think might work for me. Thanks!
  • Options
    Brett - congrats on the grades. The Whitey Ford and Red Sox team card are really nice scores.

I haven't been picking up many cards lately, but here are a few recent ones:

image....image

Hope everyone else is making nice progress with their sets.
    Keith
  • Options
    Keith, I check this forum each day hoping to see more of your set. Welcome back. Those are some real beauties you've posted. I especially like your team photo cards. Those are the weakest cards in my set, with the average being around Ex+. I will continue to upgrade, though, hoping to get 'em all in at least Ex-mt condition, with most Nm.
    Brett
  • Options
    Clockman - nice to hear from you. That's a wonderful set you've got, and I see you're starting to upgrade your set again. It was a great time to be doing so, especially the last six months or so when Donald Spence and Carl Albero (the duke of mint) went into hibernation. But now it seems that a lot of the guys at the top are becoming active again, and judging by the cards that sold in the Goodwin auction, I imagine we'll see more movement in the standings soon.
    Keith
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I added pauljas to my BBL a long time ago.

Last summer he wanted to bid on some of my cards and he was upset that I had blocked him and he emailed asking why. I told him that I just didn't appreciate his hyped listings and his overpricing and that I wasn't going to be a party to it.

He was pissed, told me it was "just good marketing" by him and I haven't heard from, sold to nor bought from him since. Ever, for that matter.

And I am thrilled to say that I have a PSA 6-7-8 set, short by 38 cards, none of which were purchased from pauljas.

A Virgin Set, huh?

Nick
  • Options
    Thank you, Keith...would go a lot faster but for that one individual I previously mentioned. One of the few pleasures I have left in old age!
  • Options
    Nick;

I actually think he's trying to control the stock on 8.5's and 9's, thus can control the pricing. He sure as h--- isn't doing this for love of collecting.

Rich
  • Options
    Keith, I pretty much struck out in the Goodwin Auction, but added a few for my 1958 Set. I'm thinking I can complete this by the time I'm of social security age!

Rich
  • Options
    What would a PSA all 7 set run total?
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Per vcp, as of 11:07 pm PST, it is

$11,467.72
  • Options

<< <i>Per vcp, as of 11:07 pm PST, it is

$11,467.72 >>

Thanks. That's not bad, less than I expected. If you spread that out over 5-6 years, it would be completely doable.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Sorry to spam, but this seemed like the most direct way to reach only the right people. I have 2 (Dick Groat & Frank Malzone) in nice shape, pulled from the 2001 (IIRC) vintage inserts. They need a good home instead of languishing in my "years I don't collect" stack.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Looks like the moron is at it again. He won this card last week at $79, and is offering it now at $149.99. How about this description:

"1957 TOPPS SMOKY BURGESS #228 IN A STUNNING, RARE AND LASER-SHARP PSA 8.5 NM-MINT+ WITH NO QUALIFIERS!
    JUST A PINCH AWAY FROM BEING A PSA 9. A PSA 9 SOLD LAST WEEK FOR AROUND $350+ AND YOU CAN BUY THIS BEAUTIFUL AND RARE CARD FOR A FRACTION OF THAT WITH MY BUY IT NOW!
    THIS ONE WON'T LAST LONG! DO NOT HESITATE ON THIS BEAUTIFUL AND RARE CARD!
    THIS CARD IS ALWAS IN HIGH DEMAND DUE TO HAVING A MINISCULE POPULATION FROM THE CINCY REDS WITH NO QUALIFIERS!
    A WONDERFUL CARD! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.
    BRILLIANT COLOR AND SHARP FOCUS ON THIS GREAT CARD!
    PRICE JUST SLASHED ON THIS SUPERB CINCY SLUGGER!
    INCREDIBLY SHARP! A REAL BLAZER! JUST MAGNIFICENT AND A WELCOME ADDITION TO ANY COLLECTION!
    WHAT A SCREAMER THIS ONE IS! BRILLIANT BLAZING COLOR AND SHARP CORNERS ON THIS BEAUTY!
    THIS BEAUTY IS SUPER RARE AND IS GETTING HARDER AND HARDER TO FIND SINCE THE 1957 SET IS ABSOLUTELY ON FIRE!
    LOW POPULATION AS WELL ON THIS CARD! BRILLIANT COLORS ON THIS BLAZING BEAUTY! FABULOUS CARD!
    A really great card. Nice all over and a fine addition to any collection!
    Nice corners and a super-clear picture. Don't miss out. Now is your chance to get in on the ground floor of this fabulous little card set with every card a mini masterpiece!
    Your card will be carefully packed and insured for $6 and shipped promptly. Please be sure to check my other auctions!"

I wonder if he gets tired of reading his own BS.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the moron is at it again. He won this card last week at $79, and is offering it now at $149.99. How about this description:

"1957 TOPPS SMOKY BURGESS #228 IN A STUNNING, RARE AND LASER-SHARP PSA 8.5 NM-MINT+ WITH NO QUALIFIERS!
    JUST A PINCH AWAY FROM BEING A PSA 9. A PSA 9 SOLD LAST WEEK FOR AROUND $350+ AND YOU CAN BUY THIS BEAUTIFUL AND RARE CARD FOR A FRACTION OF THAT WITH MY BUY IT NOW!
    THIS ONE WON'T LAST LONG! DO NOT HESITATE ON THIS BEAUTIFUL AND RARE CARD!
    THIS CARD IS ALWAS IN HIGH DEMAND DUE TO HAVING A MINISCULE POPULATION FROM THE CINCY REDS WITH NO QUALIFIERS!
    A WONDERFUL CARD! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.
    BRILLIANT COLOR AND SHARP FOCUS ON THIS GREAT CARD!
    PRICE JUST SLASHED ON THIS SUPERB CINCY SLUGGER!
    INCREDIBLY SHARP! A REAL BLAZER! JUST MAGNIFICENT AND A WELCOME ADDITION TO ANY COLLECTION!
    WHAT A SCREAMER THIS ONE IS! BRILLIANT BLAZING COLOR AND SHARP CORNERS ON THIS BEAUTY!
    THIS BEAUTY IS SUPER RARE AND IS GETTING HARDER AND HARDER TO FIND SINCE THE 1957 SET IS ABSOLUTELY ON FIRE!
    LOW POPULATION AS WELL ON THIS CARD! BRILLIANT COLORS ON THIS BLAZING BEAUTY! FABULOUS CARD!
    A really great card. Nice all over and a fine addition to any collection!
    Nice corners and a super-clear picture. Don't miss out. Now is your chance to get in on the ground floor of this fabulous little card set with every card a mini masterpiece!
    Your card will be carefully packed and insured for $6 and shipped promptly. Please be sure to check my other auctions!"

I wonder if he gets tired of reading his own BS. >>

I feel dumber for having read that listing.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I happened to have this sitting next to my PC.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Man I am sitting on about 30-40 PSA 7's that I have upgraded. I would love to ship them off to a newly start 57 set builder.
    Clockman- your set is unreal. I cant even imagine having some of those cards in that grade.
    Keith- you need to pick up the pace and pass me up on the registry, lol, only a matter of time before you blow right by.

I have pretty much stopped collecting. The good news is it's not because of any family or financial troubles. I am just burned out.
    I tried to take time off and it didn't help. I hope to snap out soon and finish off the 57 set and go full tilt on the 56 set.

Keep the photos coming

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    pm's sent
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Dave;

Thank you, and you've done quite well yourself.
    We all go through a phase like this, then eventually get back into it. You'll regain the fire in your belly.

Rich
  • Options
    My grades just popped for my Feb. $6 special sub. Amazingly, it was logged in this past Friday and the results are already in. So much for the 45 business day turnaround. My hats off to PSA.

I wanted to share some of the successes and a few disappointments.

Order #20380958 / Submission #4908648
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 16416512 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 4 JOHNNY LOGAN Card US
    2 1 16416514 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 8 DON MOSSI Card US
    3 1 16416515 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1957 TOPPS 11 GEORGE ZUVERINK Card US...Was a GAI 7 crackout. I'm pleased.
    4 1 16416516 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 19 BOB WILSON Card US
    5 1 16416517 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1957 TOPPS 48 BILL BRUTON Card US
    6 1 16416518 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 50 HERB SCORE Card US
    7 1 16416519 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 64 PETE RUNNELS Card US
    8 1 16416520 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 65 WALLY MOON Card US...Expected a 6, so I'm happy. Had a hard time finding a decent looking Moon.
    12 1 16416524 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 107 JIM RIVERA Card US
    13 1 16416525 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 109 HANK THOMPSON Card US
    14 1 16416526 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 110 BILL VIRDON Card US...Extremely pleased as I was expecting a 7.
    15 1 16416527 EXCELLENT 5 1957 TOPPS 114 BRAVES TEAM Card US...I must have missed a wrinkle. Thought it was a sure 7.
    16 1 16416528 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 100 LEAGUE PRESIDENTS W.HARRIDGE/W.GILES Card US...SGC 84 crackout. Yippee!
    18 1 16416530 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 119 STAN LOPATA Card US...A true head scratcher. Thought it was an 8.
    20 1 16416532 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 122 KEN BOYER Card US
    20 2 16416533 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1957 TOPPS 122 KEN BOYER Card US
    21 1 16416534 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 126 BOB WIESLER Card US
    22 1 16416535 MINT 9 1957 TOPPS 128 ED BAILEY Card US...My first and so far only '57 MINT 9. Bought raw for $15.00.
    23 1 16416536 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 132 ART DITMAR Card US
    24 1 16416537 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 133 DEL CRANDALL Card US...I'm pleased 'cause I was fearing an 8 OC.
    28 1 16416541 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1957 TOPPS 141 AL ABER Card US...Big disappointent. Thought 7.5 or 8.
    29 1 16416542 EXCELLENT 5 1957 TOPPS 145 AL SMITH Card US...Another wrinkle, perhaps? Looks like an 8.
    30 1 16416543 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 147 AL WALKER Card US
    32 1 16416545 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 156 GUS TRIANDOS Card US
    34 1 16416548 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 167 VIC POWER Card US
    35 1 16416549 NEAR MINT 7 ST 1957 TOPPS 183 CUBS TEAM Card US...I saw no stain. I'll have to have a closer look when I get it back.
    37 1 16416551 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 192 JERRY COLEMAN Card US
    38 1 16416552 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 197 HANK SAUER Card US
    44 1 16416558 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 216 MARV GRISSOM Card US
    45 1 16416559 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 234 DICK COLE Card US
    46 1 16416560 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 241 JOE LONNETT Card US
    49 1 16416563 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 248 JIM FINIGAN Card US
    50 1 16416564 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 251 ORIOLES TEAM Card US
    51 1 16416565 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 259 EDDIE O'BRIEN Card US
    52 1 16416566 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 260 DEL ENNIS Card US
    53 1 16416567 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 262 BOBBY THOMSON Card US
    54 1 16416568 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 264 BOB TURLEY Card US
    55 1 16416569 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 270 SENATORS TEAM Card US
    56 1 16416570 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1957 TOPPS 275 INDIANS TEAM Card US
    57 1 16416571 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1957 TOPPS 287 SAM JONES Card US
    58 1 16416572 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 297 JACK CRIMIAN Card US
    59 1 16416573 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 ST 1957 TOPPS 306 DARRELL JOHNSON Card US...I expected a PD, not an ST. Either way, I can live with it.
    61 1 16416575 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 323 WES WESTRUM Card US
    62 1 16416576 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1957 TOPPS 355 FRANK MALZONE Card US
    63 1 16416577 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 359 TOM CHENEY Card US
    64 1 16416578 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 366 KEN LEHMAN Card US
    65 1 16416579 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 373 PETE WHISENANT Card US
    66 1 16416580 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 385 ART HOUTTEMAN Card US
    67 1 16416581 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 388 PETE DALEY Card US
    67 2 16416582 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 388 PETE DALEY Card US
    68 2 16416584 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 389 DAVE JOLLY Card US
    69 1 16416585 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 391 RALPH TERRY Card US
    71 1 16416587 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 TOPPS 398 AL CICOTTE Card US
    72 1 16416588 NEAR MINT 7 1957 TOPPS 404 HARRY ANDERSON Card US...Expected an 8. Oh well. I was expecting a 7 for #405 Maas and got an 8, so it all comes out in the wash.
    73 1 16416589 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 405 DUKE MAAS Card US

All the deleted lines contained straight 6's and 6.5's which were expected (all commons), and (3) 5's which were very much unexpected. I assume that I missed a small wrinkle on the 5's.
    Brett
  • Options
    Very nice, Brett! The League Pres, Bailey, and Wiesler make it a great sub. I'm especially liking the Sam Jones in 8.5 as it's so hard to find with decent registration and centering. Glad to see you're making good progress with this set.
    Keith
  • Options
    Thanks, Keith. I was fairly pleased with those results. My only real disappointments are with the many 6's and 6.5's that I thought were sure 7's and 8's. I don't really mind the few 5's, because those are likely due to some defect that I simply overlooked. In any event, buying raw and subbing to build the bulk of my set has been a lot of fun.
    Brett
  • Options
    Just curious but what are the 5-6 most expensive cards in PSA 7?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone here have a really crappy conditioned Brooks RC? Looking for a spot filler in my raw collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious but what are the 5-6 most expensive cards in PSA 7? >>

Off the top of my head, I would say:

1) Mantle #95
    2) Williams #1
    3) Yankees Power Hitters (Mantle/Berra) #407
    4) Koufax #302
    5) B. Robinson #328

Mays #10, Drysdayle #18, Aaron #20, F. Robinson #35, and Clemente #76 are also way up there.

Edited to include Williams. How could I forget about Ted?
    Brett
  • Options

95 2/16/10 Mickey Mantle $847.93
    1 2/27/10 Ted Williams $361.07
    407 2/2/10 Yankees' Power Hitters $338.54
    328 2/9/10 Brooks Robinson $320.47
    35 2/11/10 Frank Robinson $282.25
    302 2/16/10 Sandy Koufax $281.96
    20 2/17/10 Hank Aaron $251.80
    10 1/10/10 Willie Mays $248.76

Relatively easy to complete this set as there is always lots of them available and no pricey low pops. Good luck if you decide to undertake it.
    Keith
  • Options

<< <i>

Off the top of my head, I would say:

1) Mantle #95
    2) Williams #1
    3) Yankees Power Hitters (Mantle/Berra) #407
    4) Koufax #302
    5) B. Robinson #328

Mays #10, Drysdayle #18, Aaron #20, F. Robinson #35, and Clemente #76 are also way up there.

Edited to include Williams. How could I forget about Ted? >>

Not bad for off the top of your head, Brett. Bet you can't remember your anniversary, though.
    Keith
  • Options
    Thanks for the pricing info. Looks like the Mantle is way ahead of the others on pricing.
  • Options

<< <i>...Not bad for off the top of your head, Brett. Bet you can't remember your anniversary, though. >>

Brett
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are some really nice grades. I think you did wellimage

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)