Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    Today will be the day !!!!!!
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Wow, this page turn has been stuck for a few days.

• Options
    9999!

Save the next post (the last dance?!) for Stone193!! image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here it is guys - 10KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

I picked that up from Jay Wold of Qualitycards. A great guy with a superb selling record!

This is from the 1989 Topps Guernsey auction - the first time they opened the files!

It's an original pen & ink from the card.
    Mike
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    10 k------image
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    YeeHaw! What an appropriate post for #10,000!!

Gotta love that original artwork! Thanks for sharing, Mike!!

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Woo Hoo 10K, great thread Mike
  • Options
    A perfect 10K post from our esteemed host.

Now that we hit the 10K mark, the next mile stone will be when this thread has more posts than Stone himself... can threads choose their title?

If so, I propose "Best. Thread. Ever!"

Snorto~
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    once in a great while you come across a very very difficult piece, to highlight 10k posts I just recieved this, I was going to wait to post it but what the hey!

1929-1933 Blum's Baseball Bulletin larger sized premium 11 1/2 by 13 3/4

Bottom is cut off by the scanner, but a photo barely does this card justice, slight fold but not creased near top

• Options
    I saw that sale - I think it was jonstats from San Antonio.

Very nice card - I have a few myself - I have the Maranville also Ted - since it's blank backed, I'm planning to have it framed.

Did you pick up the Speaker also - I have that one also.

Congratulations on a very nice pickup!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>1929-1933 Blum's Baseball Bulletin larger sized premium 11 1/2 by 13 3/4 >>

Awesome picture! If there's a Senator (Walter Johnson probably?!), I'll have to pick one of these up some...year. Whadda they cost? I'll have to search the completed auctions.

Also loved those '62 Topps posted earlier. I need a PSA 7 Foytack! Also need an Angels Team with photo inserts variation. Keep those coming!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    wow, 10K+ posts, a true testament to the greatest thread ever produced on this board.

Today's mail brought this. It was titled correctly, but the auction description and picture was for a '57 Aaron. Winning bid was $7, so I figured that whatever I ended up with was cool with me. Showed it to my daughter, who cares zip about my cards, and she goes, "wow, that's horribly centered." Yep, sure is. I'm not picky about vintage condition at all, but if there's one thing I could do without, it's 'centering' like this. Oh well, still a great pickup (in my mind) for $7.

• Options
    Mike I should have bid heavier on the speaker, they went unnoticed and for dirt cheap. I would htink they are worth a few hundred each if properly advertised. The Beckett almanac has the Maranville for 200-400 Jonhson at 500/1000
  • Options

<< <i>Mike I should have bid heavier on the speaker, they went unnoticed and for dirt cheap. I would htink they are worth a few hundred each if properly advertised. The Beckett almanac has the Maranville for 200-400 Jonhson at 500/1000 >>

The problem is the size Ted.

My thinking is that no one wants them - thus - tho old and not plentiful - there's not that much demand.

Since I'm framing them, I think they're great!

Just like the Mantle Phillies Cigar Premium, due to size - demand is down - especially - it seems - if they can't be holdered?
    Mike
  • Options

ugghh thats NOT what she said..lol

Good point, does make for a great display piece though. I can only imagine a slab for these!!

Looks for the B-18 blankets to be the next pre-war items to be graded and take off!

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A perfect 10K post from our esteemed host.

Now that we hit the 10K mark, the next mile stone will be when this thread has more posts than Stone himself... can threads choose their title?

If so, I propose "Best. Thread. Ever!"

Snorto~ >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    No great pickups lately and I'm planning a 6 month break from purchasing so I can save for Nationals in August but figured I would post these. Technically only the Mack/Foxx photo was received in the mail. The two Joe Azcue autos were obtained in person last Thursday during my first meeting of the Kansas City Baseball Historical Society. Joe was a great guy to talk to and I'm glad to add these to my collection.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike I should have bid heavier on the speaker, they went unnoticed and for dirt cheap. I would htink they are worth a few hundred each if properly advertised. The Beckett almanac has the Maranville for 200-400 Jonhson at 500/1000 >>

My thinking is that no one wants them - thus - tho old and not plentiful - there's not that much demand.

Since I'm framing them, I think they're great!

Just like the Mantle Phillies Cigar Premium, due to size - demand is down - especially - it seems - if they can't be holdered? >>

Along the same lines, the '68 Topps posters are huge, which probably keep their value lower than it should be:

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    In honor of the 10K, a new one which arrived yesterday...

• Options
    Probably right Mike - same with the '68 SI posters - tho I do have the Mantle!

Scooter - superb, superb, and superb!!!!!!!!!
    Mike
  • Options
    Oooo. Nice Cracker Jack! I need one for my Senators-Twins type collection.

I did pick up a T201 which I got in the mail yesterday. Slowly but surely...

• Options
    Very nice Mike.

I strayed from my 50s lobby card collecting and picked up a poster - The Frozen Ghost - 1945 - starring Lon Chaney Jr and Evelyn Ankers:

I'm a major fan of the B&W horror movies of the 40s!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Probably right Mike - same with the '68 SI posters - tho I do have the Mantle! >>

I'm pretty sure I've got the '68 Topps poster of Mickey, too. Let me know if you want to see a pic of it. Otherwise you Yankee fans will have to settle for a couple '62T upgrades I got today:

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably right Mike - same with the '68 SI posters - tho I do have the Mantle! >>

I'm pretty sure I've got the '68 Topps poster of Mickey, too. Let me know if you want to see a pic of it. Otherwise you Yankee fans will have to settle for a couple '62T upgrades I got today:

>>

Mike

That was the '68 Sports Illustrated poster I was referring to. Mine is tucked away somewhere - it's in the original baggie with the price on it.
    Mike
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Newest pick-up...

thanks to the BST forum...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    This isn't a super nice pickup but it is my first Musial GU card. And before we start with the "it's wrong to cut up a piece of history" debate I just want to say that I used to feel the same way (and still do in many instances). But I am really starting to enjoy them. I will never be able to afford a HOF game-used jersey. But I can afford little pieces of them. They actually make me wonder about what happened when the players wore the jerseys. Did Musial possibly hit a game-winning HR with the bat or make a diving catch to save a run while wearing the jersey? It may sound cheesy but that's how I'm starting to feel about these and just thought I'd share.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    Got this card for my registry set in the mail today !!! I been wanting this card for quite a while and glad to have it !

1968 O PEE CHEE ROD CAREW PSA 7

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Got this card for my registry set in the mail today !!! I been wanting this card for quite a while and glad to have it !
    1968 O PEE CHEE ROD CAREW PSA 7
    image >>

Sir Rodney! I was fortunate to grow up in MN and watch Rod a lot on TV with Halsey Hall and Herb Carneal -- and the Hamms Bear! Great memories. Best of luck with that OPC set!!
  • Options
    I picked up these "1917 FJ Smiths Club Records" in a trade for some football cards ... these were strange because they were produced in the middle of WWI - the O.H.M.S refers to the players on her majesty's service. There are a few that refer to "died in service" that I want to find.

imageimage

and this 1906 Odgens card. I'll trade anything for these soccer cards.

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Hun.... love the footy cards, of course.

While not technically a mail pickup... The Friends of the LSU Library had their annual "Book Bazaar." Think of tables and tables of old (mostly crappy) books. I spent $10, got 9 books. The crown jewel of this trip was this one, which I got for the hefty sum of $1. (Not my pic, but pretty similar, condition-wise...)

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup EA! The good old days for sure.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Just received this from Mark (MBMiller25) who was gratious enough to help me on my quest to complete the Basic Registry of Roberto Clemente. Thanks again Mark. Only 4 more cards to go.

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    My latest HOFer auto; I have examples from every living HOFer inducted as a player (except Rickey Henderson). You can see them at my website.

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    PD, Nice looking Clemente.

Recently back from BVG., 1916 World's Champs, Boston.;
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    That 53 Campy is about the nicest looking 3 you'll ever find!

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Nice! I'm a big Campanella fan myself...
    1930's-1950's Cleveland Indians Collector.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

FIVE new members of my family!!

• Options
    It's been years since I hit my early Bowman football list - 1950 Glenn Davis

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random assortment for the various sets I'm working on.

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    T206 and 1952 Topps mailday!

Added this, which brings me to 25/27. Number 26 should be here any day - almost done!

1952 Topps - the ones on the left are the upgrades (obviously). The Podbielan is by far the most vibrant '52T that I own now. If the upper right and bottom left corners weren't dinged, I'd be tempted to grade it.
    imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Wow, what awesome collections you all have going here. That '69 Clemente about blinded me when I got to it. Nice!

Here are a couple more '62Ts I received in the mail recently:

• Options
    As expected, #26 arrived today. Need to locate a low grade Dahlen Brooklyn pose, and I'll be done.

• Options
    Nice upgrades TPN! And I love the 62's.

Pulled the trigger on this Berra, couldn't resist. It has a small tear in the bottom right otherwise it looks like a 7.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    This showed up in today's mail. Not sure why the 4. Have not had a chance to go over in real detail with a bright light but there must be some surface wrinkles somewhere.

• Options
    BunchOfBull posted:

<< <i>Got what I consider a steal on this one:

image >>

Hey BoB -- Catching up on what I missed while away... saw this and had to say a big hearty CONGRATULATIONS to you. I know you've been wanting one of those for a long, long, long time.

What is your favorite Frank Thomas card?
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase