Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    A second year Perry card...

• Options
    And an upgrade for my Richie Ashburn Basic Set.......

• Options
    I've always liked that Ashburn card. Nice vintage Dr. J.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    It's always cool to see all the variety on this thread from people's different collecting focuses. Here are a couple of my recent pick ups for my Sweetness collection.

First up an Illinois organ donor license plate. While it was personalized for a dentist, it couldn't be more appropriate for Walter:

Next a pair of Walter Payton Kangaroos, new in the original box:

imageimage

Followed by a Wilson Walter Payton Ground Gainer model football in the original box:

imageimage

And lastly a Kenner SLU signed by Payton and authenticated by PSA/DNA:

imageimage

Thanks for looking.

Snorto~
  • Options
    I've been looking for a decently centered copy of this in the 4-5 range for awhile now. Thanks to fellow board member Jeff (QUIK).

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Another addition to my Sweetness collection... limited to only 34 signed and complete with Walter Payton Foundation & Schwartz Sports COAs:

Very stoked about this one not so much because it is such a limited edition with excellent credentials, but because it is so unique and incorporates another passion Payton had outside of the gridiron.

Snorto~
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    With my vintage graded sets progressing entirely too slowly, I had to find something else to blow money on... I have a reputation of being fiscally irresponsible to maintain. I decided to give into some nostalgia and put together a few sets I had put together when they originally came out, but sold off some time ago... at least it was far less expensive to put them together this time around.

First up the 1996 Pinnacle Laserview Inscriptions Autographs that started the autograph craze in football at least:

imageimage

And the follow up release, 1997 Pinnacle Inscriptions Autographs, which was considerbly more limited and upped the star power... unfortunately, they are far more susceptible to fading than their 1996 counterparts:

imageimage
    imageimage

Still working on the 1999 Score Supplemental Inscriptions Autographs... just need the Marvin Harrison... can anyone help out a fellow card nerd?

Snorto~
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Just got this back from PSA/DNA this morning. I got the auto in person back when he played for the Blue Jays.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Snorto, that's an awesome R/C car. Gumby, nice auto of the next HOF'r to be elected.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new year
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some incredible pickups - congratulations guys!

Scott - that's some really cool stuff - especially the Payton items! Superb.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    In honor of my son Gehrig this year!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Just got this Ewing Auto in the mail. One of the toughest signers out there with very few certified cards.

• Options
    An addition to my 63F set - an upgrade - when I started the set, I was gonna be happy with 60/40 - not any more.

I decided - I would rather do one set till I get it just right than run all over the place doing sets that don't really excite me due to centering, e.g.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Got this 53 Yogi Berra card today. I couldn't get it to upload so I had to post a link. Now to get it graded. image

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/phil74501/baseball cards/?action=view&current=Yogi10001.jpg
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭

got these today for my raw set very happy picked them up for $30 shipped
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

A little help for Phil (your code got a little screwed up somehow)... Nice card.

• Options
    I kept trying to upload it, only to be told it was too large. I got it down below 50kb, but it still wouldn't let me upload it. Thanks for the assist though.
  • Options

<< <i>I kept trying to upload it, only to be told it was too large. I got it down below 50kb, but it still wouldn't let me upload it. Thanks for the assist though. >>

Phil

To avoid that crap, I scan it to a free Photobucket account and then past it here using the URL from that account.

Nice card BTW.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>An addition to my 63F set - an upgrade - when I started the set, I was gonna be happy with 60/40 - not any more.

I decided - I would rather do one set till I get it just right than run all over the place doing sets that don't really excite me due to centering, e.g.

mike >>

Love those '63 Fleers! I picked up some raw ones from shanehardy recently to upgrade my raw set... image
  • Options
    Mike, that's a pretty sweet Richardson.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow nice 63 Fleer Mike!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    double post.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    The Wheat came in yesterday's mail. I've had the Lennox for a while and finally liberated it from its PSA 2 tomb.

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanx for the kind words guys!

This thread is approaching 10K!!!!!!!!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Now up to 8/14 Brooklyn Superbas - here's the full effect:

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Here are scans from a submission leathtech (he did a great job) set-up.

The Yogi came from a flea market dollar box back in 81-82.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Finally got my SP Tattoo in hand image

• Options
    Super stuff as usual guys! Very entertaining.

Marc - are you getting that Tattoo graded? Looks really nice.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Yes I am. I posted original scan from e-mail sent to me from "overseas"(UK) and the board thought PSA 4 to PSA 5.5 based on scan. After receiving card in hand--this is a solid 6 or 6.5. I could not find any mysterious paper wrinkles.... Basicly it's the corners that will get the grade.
  • Options
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    Got this card for my White Sox set from the B/S/T section at net54... & hope that it will bump to a SGC 40 image

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Redskins additions.

Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options

Lots of great stuff on this page. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of great stuff on this page. Thanks for sharing. >>

Like totally agree!

My addition to my 60s Hartland collection:

Stan the man

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I picked up a 1st ed 1988 copy of the Duke of Flatbush - personalized to Pat from Duke Snider.

This book was on the NY Times Bestseller list that summer. It was re-printed in 2002.

Mike
  • Options
    You always have such unique stuff to share on here, Stone. How many more Hartlands do you need to finish off the series/set?

Snorto~
  • Options
    Mike--- I was wondering if anyone else here collected Hartlands. That's the first one I've seen here. I'm one Dick Groat short for the set, not sure I'll ever get him though. Good luck with the rest of your finds. I have them wrapped and in a box and should bring them out again soon. Thanks for sharing your Stan the man. Doug
  • Options
    Last post in this was 5 days ago. Hope we can keep this thread going...

Here's two items I got in.

Another LSU autograph, Hornets rookie guard (and a good one) Marcus Thornton.

1936 Gallaher Sporting Personalities - Dixie Dean (an Everton FC great). Picked it up for a buck or two.

My LSU Autographs

• Options
    Mike did the Musial come with the original box?

Agree with Snorto.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    This will probably wind up as a double post but since my post never showed I'll repeat myself.

Mike did the Musial also come with the original box?

And I agree with Snorto.

Nice Musial Mike.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>You always have such unique stuff to share on here, Stone. How many more Hartlands do you need to finish off the series/set?

Snorto~

Mike--- I was wondering if anyone else here collected Hartlands. That's the first one I've seen here. I'm one Dick Groat short for the set, not sure I'll ever get him though. Good luck with the rest of your finds. I have them wrapped and in a box and should bring them out again soon. Thanks for sharing your Stan the man. Doug

Mike did the Musial come with the original box? >>

First, thanx for the kind words guys.

Snort - I'm at the half-way mark - still have the SPs to collect.

Doug - I've posted every one I've picked up here over the past few years - and there's some very minor interest but not too many collectors. I agree the SPs are expensive but they've come down from their height of popularity I believe.

Steve - no on the box - the box and tag run up the bill too much for me - this is a small focus for me along with whiskey decanters.

But, they do look great!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    You guys know that the #1 card of a set can be a tough one - and finding this one centered is really hard - so after 6 yrs:

I'm now at 85%.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

Nice pickup, Mike. Always good to get Numero Uno out of the way.

My most recent acquisition for my Cards-That-I-Just-Dig set...

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I'm usually just a lurker enjoying everyone's latest pickups -- which are as spectacular as ever, btw.

I had to share a card I recently picked up for my '62 Topps Registry Set, a green-tinted Al Kaline. I've been on the lookout for the green-tint and no-tint variations in the set and this was the first Kaline I found. I'm excited about being the next caretaker for it!

• Options
    Mike,

Love the Kaline.

Once my job situation improves, I'm hoping to start the '62 set.
    My LSU Autographs

• Options

<< <i>1936 Gallaher Sporting Personalities - Dixie Dean (an Everton FC great). Picked it up for a buck or two.

image >>

Nice pick-up ... love the Dean card. I like the Gallaher's Cigarettes - especially the 1928 issue.

Ironically, American Landon Donovan now wears Dean's # 9 at Everton.

• Options

<< <i>Mike,

Love the Kaline.

Once my job situation improves, I'm hoping to start the '62 set. >>

I've really gotten to enjoy the '62T set. It's going to be a challenge filling in the 87 green-tinted versions -- and to get PSA to include them in the Registry! Here's a link to my Master set...