Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Howard and Kaline cards.

Mike - are the "tint" cards true variations and if so - why nothing on the flip?

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ironically, American Landon Donovan now wears Dean's # 9 at Everton. >>

I know.... I ordered my #9 jersey from Everton earlier this month. It's a-very nice-uh.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm usually just a lurker enjoying everyone's latest pickups -- which are as spectacular as ever, btw.

I had to share a card I recently picked up for my '62 Topps Registry Set, a green-tinted Al Kaline. I've been on the lookout for the green-tint and no-tint variations in the set and this was the first Kaline I found. I'm excited about being the next caretaker for it! >>

I never heard of the tinted version of these. Do you happen to have a side by side of the normal and tinted ones for contrast to share?

Snorto~

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I can't seem to get the latest posts from this thread to show. Maybe if I share my latest green-tint variation it'll help!! image

FYI, here's the "regular" (no-tint) version for comparison purposes. Note the differences not only in the coloring, but in the cropping of the photos...
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Howard and Kaline cards.

Mike - are the "tint" cards true variations and if so - why nothing on the flip?

Thanx for sharing.
    mike >>

To answer your question, here is a link to a "PSA Set Registry Forum" thread. Steve E.'s immediate reply to the OP gives the definitive answer to which cards have the green- and no-tint variations. His second post explains why it's not listed on the flips:

"BTW, I unsuccessfully lobbied PSA to have green tint versions added to the 1962 Topps Master Set on the PSA Registry. At this point, probably too many cards have been graded to make this addition. "

Congrats on noticing that "oversight"!!

[Edited to add: Post #9,950!!]
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Howard and Kaline cards.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike >>

To answer your question, here is a link to a "PSA Set Registry Forum" thread. Steve E.'s immediate reply to the OP gives the definitive answer to which cards have the green- and no-tint variations. His second post explains why it's not listed on the flips:

"BTW, I unsuccessfully lobbied PSA to have green tint versions added to the 1962 Topps Master Set on the PSA Registry. At this point, probably too many cards have been graded to make this addition. "

Congrats on noticing that "oversight"!!

[Edited to add: Post #9,950!!] >>

Thanx Mike!

We're getting very close to 10K!

That's probably one of the longest running threads here?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>We're getting very close to 10K!

That's probably one of the longest running threads here?

mike >>

It's gotta be the longest-running thread. Anybody know of one longer??!

Congrats to Stone193 for starting the All-Time Best Thread on CU!

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    In the mail this afternoon:
    [URL=http://img504.imageshack.us/i/img0003hc.jpg/]image[/URL]
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    got these TTM this week

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Just picked this up from new member Mdube16...beautiful card in my opinion despite the grade.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Ross - that's a beauty of a 2!!!!!

Nice pickup.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

That is an awesome 2. Nice pick up
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    I'm in love with my latest pickup...image

imageimage
  • Options
    Picked this one up this weekend. Not the greatest shape but I think it will fit into my collecting room nicely. I may have to scrounge up a C cell battery and try it out.

Robert

• Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I've gone into my sports card room 10 or so times today, just to look at the Clemente.
  • Options

<< <i>Picked this one up this weekend. Not the greatest shape but I think it will fit into my collecting room nicely. I may have to scrounge up a C cell battery and try it out.

image >>

Nice pickup Karb.

That looks like game model 48-B.

I believe it was the most popular and successful of the electric game company line - ya have to "time" a steel ball running down the channel - get it right? Home run! Some think the "48" may represent the year - not sure - tho many think this iteration is from the 40s.

If ya notice, the box has an "alligator finish" which gives it an antique look - some think it's from the 30s but not true - tho the batter on the front is based on an early 30s painting by a popular illustrator - J.F. Kernan.

I don't have this model - I have the 50s version of the game. If I have that one - it's buried somewhere in a closet?

The reason I like the 50s model better is because of the "box graphics."

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Yaz - way ta go Mike!!!!

Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Love the box art on those games.

- Garret
  • Options

<< <i>Love the box art on those games.

- Garret >>

Me too Garret - that's one of the big reasons I started collecting them!

The only problem is - they take up alot of space - so I can't display them.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I sold my old Clemente RC and replaced it with this one. Better centered.

Need 19 more to go! BTW I have a PSA 7.5 Unitas for sale now

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I'm moving very slow on the T9 portion of my T3 set - this is #4.

The price was very fair.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Carol can sticky this thread to the top while still being allowed to post in it? 10,000 is pretty impressive
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if Carol can sticky this thread to the top while still being allowed to post in it? 10,000 is pretty impressive >>

I remember when I first happened upon these boards and spent hours going through every post on this thread getting my geek on. I don't know if it needs to be pinned though since it gets bumped fairly regularly, then again having it at the top might consolidate all the one-off threads of people sharing their latest items.

Speaking of which, here are my highlights from the past week or so starting with a Bradshaw rookie for one of my sets. The tilt shows up more readily than it does in hand and I don't think I will be upgrading this example:

Next is how I spent my eBay bucks from Q409 (along with Bing) to pick this up for half the normal price:

Followed by a couple full tickets for my defunct football league collection. I was especially jazzed to pick up the NFL Europe World Bowl ticket as NFLE tickets, in general, don't show up too often:

Finally, my cardboard holy grail, a Bronko Nagurski for my ghetto grade Chicle set courtesy of fellow CU member, Mr. Keith Weinhold:

I remember flipping through my very first price guide (a 1983 pocket sized one with O.J. Simpson on the cover) and seeing a picture of this card... I wanted one ever since.

Snorto~

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    F'n Awesome snorto, WOW.
  • Options
    The Bradshaw looks great Scott.

And, I know for the FB fan - the Bronco is a must - so congratulations - it's a great 3 - looks super!!!!

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    WOW wtg on the BronKo! Also, Mike love the T9! I picked this up a few months ago and think I posted it but just for fun

A black man in his underwear (as the wife describes it)

• Options
    Nice T9!
  • Options
    Thanx Ted - cool T9 - are you gonna cross it for the registry - or not bother?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lovin' these posts. I think every collection should have a classic card like that Nagurski. It doesn't hurt seeing that "Minnesota" pennant in the background either! It really helps make the card!! image

Seeing the boxing cards reminds me I saw some boxing exhibits from the '30s in an antique mall today. I need to start a thread to see if the price is reasonable.

Thanks for sharing the latest finds! I've got some more '62Ts coming this next week that I'll be anxious to get my hands on. I'll have to post one or two here...
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes I am. I posted original scan from e-mail sent to me from "overseas"(UK) and the board thought PSA 4 to PSA 5.5 based on scan. After receiving card in hand--this is a solid 6 or 6.5. I could not find any mysterious paper wrinkles.... Basicly it's the corners that will get the grade. >>

Carew, I thought you were going to get that Tattoo Orbit Blaeholder card graded - I see that you have it up on eBay raw.

What happened? image
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

FRESH back from PSA

• Options

nevermind--wrong thread
  • Options
    Absolutely beautiful cards Marc!

Wish they were a little bigger - the colors are incredible.

Why the reference to x-ray? Don't know the set.
    Mike
  • Options
    Just got this in. I realize that the chipping on the sides put this it an 8 holder, but otherwise it's the best 62 Mays I've ever seen. The more I look at cards from this year, the more I am tempted to start the set.

Keith
  • Options
    Beautiful card Keith!

I picked up this game for 10 bucks - I'll be using part of it to supplement the same game to make it even stronger. In this one the upper right corner is crimped - but the pieces have never been used!

Big League Baseball Game - 1940 - Selchow & Righter.

Some games I've got 3 off just to make one really super game.

Mike
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That Mays is incredible.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Very cool game Stone. I think I may be getting into the game collecting as well. There's just something about the games of a simpler time.
    Robert

• Options
    pickup from this week
  • Options

<< <i>FRESH back from PSA

image >>

hopefully this works to enlarge

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes I am. I posted original scan from e-mail sent to me from "overseas"(UK) and the board thought PSA 4 to PSA 5.5 based on scan. After receiving card in hand--this is a solid 6 or 6.5. I could not find any mysterious paper wrinkles.... Basicly it's the corners that will get the grade. >>

Carew, I thought you were going to get that Tattoo Orbit Blaeholder card graded - I see that you have it up on eBay raw.

What happened? image >>

Came back a 4. It still a $200 card either way. will re-sub at a later time. I have 5 more coming to me. Pepper Martin, Red Lucas, William Kamm, Ivy Andrews(SP), Kiki Cuyler.
  • Options
    Picked up these six rare 1934 Mitchell's Cigarettes - Scottish Footballers. Less than (50,000 sets produced) I wanted the two RANGERS F.C. players.

• Options
    Got what I consider a steal on this one:

• Options
    I agree Ross - very nice pickup!
    Mike
  • Options
    Man, what a blast it is to see the wide variety of cards you all pick up. Thanks for taking the time to share 'em!

Here's a '62T Koufax I just received in the mail today. It's a tough one to find well-centered. I was ecstatic to upgrade at the price I got this one for!

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I picked both of these up this week for a signing later next month. I have wanted both of these RC’s since I was a kid. I am considering buying a different Ryan for the singing just because this card has such nice eye appeal in my opinion.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Save post number 10,000 for Stone!
  • Options

<< <i>Just got this in. I realize that the chipping on the sides put this it an 8 holder, but otherwise it's the best 62 Mays I've ever seen. The more I look at cards from this year, the more I am tempted to start the set.

image >>

Wow! That's one of the nicest Mays' I've ever seen! Great pickup! image
  • Options
    Just picked this up for my PSA Registry set. This is the only Carew panel PSA graded , a real 1/1 and a PSA 7 to boot !

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Save post number 10,000 for Stone! >>

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    picked up yesterday