Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    A few non-card pickups from the past week or so, starting with a World Football League inaugural game coaster set. I have a different version that came in a white crock and there is yet another variation that has different colored coasters that I am still on the look out for. I don't know why exactly, but I think these things are tremendously cool.

Next up is a full ticket from the very first USFL Championship Game.

This Vincent Costello Payton figure was limited to 3,900 made, but in years of watching eBay this is only the second one I have seen and the first complete with the original box.

Finally got a bargain on one of these Sports Impressions Walter Payton autographed figures.

And the much more readily available Danbury Mint Sweetness figure as well.

It's time to break out and assemble another bookshelf as my Payton homage runneth over.

Have a great week everyone!

Snorto~
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few more '53 Topps my nice mail lady has left with me this week.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got this back from PSA. image Gotta love those 77s!

• Options
    Won this last night !!!!! I'm very happy. I believe it was given out at the San Diego Comic Con in 1994. This differs from the one issued in the Bongo #4 comic which has a different back, smaller knob etc.

Only seen 2 IIRC sell since 2005ish. Usually $100+ so I was surprised I had to pay $420 on auction....but I'll finally own one !

imageimageimage
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    My favorite PC and one of my favorites sets I am working on. Good thing I found two this last week or so.

imageimage

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Just love the look of these cards....

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    1952 Topps Traded variation - team set now stands at 18/33. Lotsa @#$% high numbers to go.

• Options
    I found this thread on PAGE 6!!! This will not do.

My highlights from the past week, starting with a nicely centered Johnny U rookie for my 1957/HOF RC sets:

I probably paid too much for these given how much stuff the Tyler Rose signs, but it is the first time I have seen these and I had to have them!

Lastly, while in rough shape and not PSA/DNA authenticated, this is the only time I have seen one of these offered up and I was happy to add it to my Payton collection:

Check out Singletary in full on ham-mode.

Have a great week everyone!

Snorto~
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Pick ups from this week and some from the group sub.

Group sub, the 1st time it came back "did not meet size requirements"

Don't do Basketball, but my brother gave me an old box of stuff and this was in it.

BST Pickup

BST Pickup

Ebay

Ebay

Overall a good week.
  • Options
    1999 Aurora Opening Day Matt Luke. I am not sure why but I have had the hardest time finding Luke's parallels from 1996-1999. I hate the look of this set as it reminds me of something unlicensed or maybe it's just the lack of imagination in the design, but I'm proud to finally own it after 11 years! Hopefully I can find another copy in better shape down the line.

1999 Fleer IP/TTM auto. Found on ebay, not obtained by me. Either way, I almost flipped when I found this in the mail (my fiance surprised me by finding both of these cards).

1993 Stadium Club Mike Piazza First Day Issue. I couldn't believe that I found this for $15. I remember drooling over a copy of it in a showcase at Burbank Sportscards for most of my teenage years. I also remember buying packs of 1993 TSC from the grocery store that year in hopes of finding the Piazza card, not realizing how futile that was. This card made me feel 12 again for about 5 minutes of owning it. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the top of the card is wavy, like poorly-trimmed wavy. I meant to mail it back to the seller but it's been over a week now, so I'll just let PSA decide when I send it in. It's just going to sit in my PC anyway. Though doubtful, I hope that it's just me and not actually trimmed.

My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    some recent 69 football pick ups and a real nice taylor sig
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    forgot the scan

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Have been looking for this 2001 SPx Ichiro card for years in PSA 9 for my PC. There seem to be 15 BGS graded ones for every PSA one that shows up on eBay. Finally found one with a reasonable BIN ($1150) and decided to pull the trigger. Last PSA 8 sale I saw was for $825 so the BIN seemed reasonable. Got the card next day, seller was in Maryland and I'm in Virginia, which is always a plus.

• Options
    SLOWLY chipping away at the ol' 51's. Got these two in a few days ago.

imageimage
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Latest addition.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Four recent pickups. Been looking for nice 61's but now I'm liking nice 62's too.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just reviewed the past few months of pickups - superb stuff!

I'm humbled that people still use this thread to show off their stuff.

I'm not doing much participating or buying right now - a little lurking here and there.

I had some ebay bux ready to expire so I added another 60s Hartland to my collection - Nellie Fox.

Mike
  • Options
    Cool Nellie Mike, they don't do the jump and throw any more like the good ol' days!

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Cool Nellie Mike, they don't do the jump and throw any more like the good ol' days! >>

Thanx Mark.
    Mike
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Picked these up this week...

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Aren't we due for a bump here?

I'll add my newest T3 - Big Ed Walsh...

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Purchased in the recently ended REA auction for my PC. Only have 1971 Topps Bob Lanier, 1974 Topps George Gervin, 1977 Topps Adrian Dantley, and 1978 Topps Dennis Johnson left to complete my 1970 and up PSA 9 Basketball HOF RCs collection. If you happen to have any of these cards available shoot me a PM.

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    One more place for me to show this one off...

• Options
    dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    These cards are AWESOME!!! Thank you everyone for sharing!!!
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    It's been a long time since I've looked forward to new Butler cards as much as I have this past week. These arrived today from the Topps Vault - I'm really hoping they release some of the other colors soon. For those that haven't seen them, I've got several of the proofs from 1984 Traded, too - scroll down on this page to see them.

1985 Topps #637 cyan proof
    imageimage

1985 Topps #637 magenta proof
    imageimage
  • Options
    Again - great stuff guys.

Scooter has my eye - being a T3 fan - very nice 3!!!
    Mike
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Recent pickup...1952 BerkRoss card with Phil Rizzuto. Card is off-center but a nice pickup for under 9 bucks. And it is the tuffer "swinging" pose!

• Options
    I dig those Berk Ross cards... I would like to start the 1951 Berk Ross football set some day, but they aren't nearly as plentiful on eBay as their baseball counterparts it seems.

A few of my highlights from the past week including a tough high number for my Chicle ghetto grade set, an upgrade for my Leaf set (the centering is actually pretty nice for this particular card!), and a 54B Blanda for my HOFer RC set:

And I was very stoked to add this WFL ball to my defunct football league ball collection. While I already had a 1974 (orange stripes) & 1975 (white stripes) official balls, this one is a bit of a mystery. It lacks the founder/commissioner Gary Davidson's signature beneath the WFL panel and instead has a "P" beneath the Spalding name. I have only seen this version offered up one other time in 4+ years and it was represented that the "P" designated the ball as a prototype.

Regardless of its origins, it appears considerably rarer than the usual game balls and I was thrilled to snag it on a BIN set at ~33% below the normal ball going rate.

Snorto~

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I had to go back over several weeks, too, to catch up on all the gems from "Mail Call". Great pickups!!

I had to buy a book about boxers from the early part of the last century. Some of you may remember a thread I had of some old Exhibit cards I got. Hopefully this book will give me a little more background on some of the men depicted. It's got bios of everyone listed in the table of contents...

• Options
    Here is my recent snags...

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!

I haven't posted on this thread lately - here are a couple of additions to my T206 team set that I'm working on...

Got this HOFer in today...

to go along with this card I got last week (and posted on the T206 thread on the PSA Set Registry Forum)...

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    I wish more players would pose like Chester Johnston nowadays.
    Thanks for your help everyone.
  • Options
    delete (mistake post)
  • Options

<< <i>
    image >>

I wish more players posed like this nowadays. image
  • Options
    Here is some cool stuff I recently acquired.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

OH HOW SWEEEEEEET IT IS!!!!

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One of the best threads ever.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>One of the best threads ever.

Steve >>

I think so too - then again I may be biased? Thanx Steve.

I just looked at the recent pickups - as always sweet!!!
    Mike
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    My latest acquisition -- and first tobacco card!

• Options
    nice additions all!!!!
    Fred

• Options
    I'm really stoked about my new pickup: T205 Edward Barger 'partial B on cap' - goes nice with the 'full B' I already had
    imageimage

Today's arrival leaves three to go to finish up the set
  • Options
    I picked up a really cool baseball related punch board and a nice board game to add to my collection...

These pics are from the ebay sales - the punch board is in great shape - the pins are still sealed in the back - this thing is totall unused!

It's for the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Fund which was founded by Runyon's good friend - Walter Winchell in 1946 - the board is copyrighted 1946:

The game - World Series - was made in 1940 by E. S. Lowe.

The board game - I've never seen before except in my books - it's in OK condition - need to repair the front a bit:

Mike
  • Options
    I picked up these 57's recently, they're not mint but nice looking mid grades. I really like the Drysdale:

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I'm big-time excited to show off my latest pickup. To me, crossing off a '52 high number Dodger is a huge deal. There are 16 high number Dodgers in the '52 set, among them Pee Wee, Jackie and Campy. Pee Wee and Campy are safely home, and today Joe Black joins them. He's the 4th high number I've nabbed, so I've finally hit the 25% mark. Woo hoo!

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

All manner of great pickups here lately. Always dig visiting this thread.

The latest from MY mailman...

• Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    My latest acquisition for my 1954 Topps Psa 8 HOF set.

• Options
    Superb Robinson card!
    Mike
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Not the Plank I hope to someday have, but this one will do the trick for now!