1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Page turn
    yet again............
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    as always this thread has a bug problem.....image
  • So no one knows who the proud owners of the two Greg Gagne PSA 10s are? imageimage

Please step forward and claim your reward.

Thank you.image
    Cardboard Zombie
    Always buying perfect 1986 Fleer Basketball PSA 10 cards and 1982 OPC Nolan Ryan cards. Thank you.
  • If anyone has the gagne, I would like to enter the bidding war as well!
  • There you go, Gagne owners.
    You have a guaranteed bidding war set up for your PSA 10 Gagne. Great time to sell high.
    imageimage
    Cardboard Zombie
    Always buying perfect 1986 Fleer Basketball PSA 10 cards and 1982 OPC Nolan Ryan cards. Thank you.
    what's Gagne's number??? I have a bunch of ungraded from that year and have my 12 free submissions staring me in the face...maybe I'll send in a few if they look nice enough. In fact I have one factory set that has a few unopened cellos left, maybe I'll be lucky and one of them will be the one with Gagne in it. Please let me know. thanks al.

<< <i>Hello. Arny, I just sent you a PM.

Thanks for your time.image

Searching for a PSA 10 Greg Gagne Rated Rookie; paying big money >>

is that really Arny??? haven't heard from him for a long time....thought he gave up on the hobby.
  • Al, the Greg Gagne Rated Rookie is card #39. Good luck with your subs. Thank you for your efforts.image
    Cardboard Zombie
    WOW, I went thru the 84 Donruss and all of the Gagne's were OC. I remember when I was doing the set a few years ago that he was a toughie, must still be. al.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    What's the story on the Stenhouse card with no number? Is it the easy one or difficult version?

Thanks in advance.
    Wow..... hard to imagine this thread has sat nearly 2 months since the last post. Anybody out there still working it? rvc? For quite a while it was going hot and heavy, with thousands being paid for low pop 10's.

So, are there any active 84D set builders still around?

Anybody using 9's anymore or is it all 'psa 10 or nothing'?

• Bug

Im still crack raw...Have a var question has anyone noticed the green on the top right rev of the madlock dk steele version????? Dunno just noticed it lastnight and have no other
    steeles to compare....Dont see it on any of the other dk's...Heres some of my pic hate the checks so tough....

Hi Bill, still not doing the set but am still around "lurking" as you say....good to see you are still kicking it...how are the kids??? Believe it or not my son is now in 10th grade and my daughter started 7th recently....man is the time flying or what!! al.
    Hey Al - good to hear from you. Yep, kids are getting bigger, and ours are really involved with soccer, baseball/softball and doing great in school. Lotta fun watching and coaching.

I keep toying with the idea of doing another 84D set, but just can't pull the trigger. It's also amazing how slow this thread has become, but I guess everything has a saturation point. Happy that it lasted as long as it has, but sad to see it slow down so much. Oh well, I'm sure it will get 'rediscovered' again.......

MMsports - I noticed the Madlock DK a few years ago but if I remember correctly all of them have it. Still worth keeping an eye on, as maybe at some point in production this was corrected. Yes, the checklists are a bear, but the run from 535 thru to 550 (with a couple of exceptions) is absolutely the most brutal imo.

• Bill

Willdo on the maddy...Question for you what version is harder for the dk's steel or steele...Cant make heads or tales of the pop report think some have stated
    that its off or they started keeping track late in the game?

Yes its ashame this set has went downhill Ive finally got around to locating my past inventory and culling them....

Gator
    Steele is harder with vast majority of those being diamond cut. Tough ones such as Dravecky and Schmidt come to mind. That said, there are still a few tough Steel versions - Larry Parrish for starters.

• Ok and the steele came from wax correct..
    Bill, great to hear your kids are doing the sports thing....my son is starting on his JV basketball team this year at his high school, he's a decent point guard who wishes he was just a bit taller. My daughter just finished volleyball, she's in 7th grade and they did quite well, 14-2 record for second place and they play in their season ending tournament this weekend. Believe me keep your kids interested, it's a great opportunity to bond with them...even if you don't know the sport. My daughter gave me my first exposure ever to volleyball and it can be an exciting sport. Great to hear again from you. al.

<< <i>My daughter gave me my first exposure ever to volleyball and it can be an exciting sport. >>

Al - I played USVBA and grass doubles tournaments, both mens and co-ed, in the 80's and 90's in northern CA. My USVBA coach was Jeff Stork's (olympic setter in 1988 gold, 1992 bronze) brother Brian. We used to run Jeff's olympic team offensive plays, but obviously to a lesser degree and results. Load of fun and memories.

I only play rec ball sparringly now, but both our kids have shown interest, like to practice it, and are natural atheletes. But at ages 6 and 7, I don't force it on them but sure hope they develop the love I have for the game.

Bill
    stupid fricken page turn!
    ;
    I agree with you about not forcing any sports on the kids. I mentioned my son was shorter, about 5-7 and he's almost 16 whereas my daughter is already 5-7 in the 7th grade...I wanted her to play basketball but her first experience playing in competive leagues wasn;t good and she doesn't want to play on her high school team.....I am not forcing the issue and hope she changes her mind in the future. Great to hear about your experiences in volleyball, being short and more on the heavy side volleyball just wasn't in the cards for me. The sport seems to really be taking off here on the North Coast recently.
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a few psa 9 84 Donruss here if anyone is interested

Fisk 302 $6
    Rose 61 $8
    Buckner 117 $5
    Yount Steel # 1 $6

PM me if you want them!

B

• I am in need of a few 84 Donruss PSA 10's

49 Lance Parrish POP 14
    605 Alfredo Griffin POP 6
    635 Lary Sorensen POP11

These should not be too hard to come up with given the POP's

Any help would be apprceiated. Let me know what you have and what you want for them.

Send PM
  • BTT

I am in need of a few 84 Donruss PSA 10's

49 Lance Parrish POP 14
    605 Alfredo Griffin POP 6
    635 Lary Sorensen POP11

These should not be too hard to come up with given the POP's

Any help would be apprceiated. Let me know what you have and what you want for them.

Send PM
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ttt image I miss this thread! As one of the most memorable sets of the 1980's I thought I would take another look at 84 donruss . Also, is there any wax experts here on the boards, I have an "unopened" box and I dont know what signs to look for with tampering.
  • Hello everyone. Newbie here. Love the 84 Donruss Rated Rookies Set. Does anyone know who has the Gagne Rated Rookie graded PSA 10?
    I know there are only nine PSA 9s and just two 10's, so I'm willing to pay $1500 for the PSA 10 Gagne.
    Thanks in advance for any help. image
    Seeking PSA 10 1984 Donruss Rated Rookies
  • Okay - I would pay even more for the Greg Gagne rated Rookie.
    Who ever has one - sell high as you now have a guaranteed bidding war.
  • Just chimming in... but have you guys seen the current price of the 1984 Donruss Complete Master Set #2 Current & All-Time Finest PSA Set Registry on Mile High's latest auction?

$12905.00 with 7 days to go, WOW!!!

Jeremy
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• that auction would be number 3 in the complete set.

Basic set is now a perfect set of the #1 spot - 10.0

• "that auction would be number 3 in the complete set.

Basic set is now a perfect set of the #1 spot - 10.0"

Both sets--very impressive. Congrats to the New Sherrif in Town for the first PSA 10 84 Donruss set.

Seeking PSA 10 1984 Donruss Rated Rookies

• << <i>"that auction would be number 3 in the complete set.

Basic set is now a perfect set of the #1 spot - 10.0"

Both sets--very impressive. Congrats to the New Sherrif in Town for the first PSA 10 84 Donruss set.

image >>

The set is not all PSA 10's yet. It has a GPA of 9.99585. So he has at least one PSA 9.
    If anybody with a registry set or otherwise wants to dump quantities of 1984D psa 9 cheap, please pm me. I'm bottom feeding all psa 9's. Have most the stars and mainly looking for commons.
    Bug's been bitten by the Donruss Bug once againimage
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭
    I'm putting together Braves team set from 84D in psa10. If you have extras (Braves only), pm me with what you have and what you want for them. I already have Murphy, Horner, Gerald Perry, and Bruce Benedict. Need all others. Thx.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    pm sent
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I am JUST doing a raw set, anyone have any dupes?
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>I am JUST doing a raw set, anyone have any dupes? >>

I've got an 800-count box of dupes after putting together two raw sets back in '84. Do you have a wantlist?
  • This thread has sure slowed down. Is there a new set i don't know about?
  • ive caught the 84D fever!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • any of you guys still collecting the set?
    Check your PM.

<< <i>This thread has sure slowed down. Is there a new set i don't know about? >>

There are still some heavy hitters on this set, but they seem to be off PSA's registry screen. One look at 4SC initial pricing these days tells it all.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    SPAM: I've listed around 20 PSA 10's on eBay this week. None are would I would consider rare, but you may need one or two. My auctions are in my sig line below if you are interested.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Selling 73 card all-psa 10 partial registry set, includes Mattingly, Carter, Ripken, Henderson, etc. Check post out on B/S/T board.
    ebaying individually........

1984 Donruss PSA 10's
    Auctions ending tonight!
  • YelbomYelbom Posts: 273
    I have a Matt Young DK Steele version PSA 9 up for auction on Ebay. There are no PSA 10s on this card and only 5 PSA 9s. If you could use it for your set I would appreciate your bids!!

EBAY AUCTION
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS: COUGAR701, HOOPGURU33, BOSOX1976, SSDAWG77, NAM812, CORVETTE1340, CYOTS82, MRMINT23, MCHOLKE, ALO32184 and many others...........
  • im still looking for these 1984 Donruss PSA 9s:

Perry/Fingers, Carter, Jenkins, Gossage, Sutton, Sutter