Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    OK you 84 Donruss people. Looking to finish off the 300 series of this set in PSA 10. Missing 8 cards. Nothing real scarce but just haven't seen any of these. Looking for # 300,301,308,314,350,378,382 and 389. Anyone looking to sell, let me know. PSA 10 only. Thanks.

Now down to 4 cards. #308 Johnny Ray, 350 Rich Dauer, #378 Jon Matlack and #382 Mike Ramsey. PSA 10 only,
    Anyone???? Willing to make a deal.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Sorry, but I had to get out my frustration here. I saw a Gary Redus, PSA 10, a 40 pop card, listed on EBAY for $40. IMO a bit overpriced for a common in that pop. I offered him $35; he writes back no thanks. That's fine, except for the fact that he then takes card down and relists with a price of $80!!!!!! I just don't get it.

he realized that 40 dollars is too cheap Redus is a $100 card.

• Options

There's no way that's a $100 card! Heck it has a 40 pop count. You can buy some HOFers for less than that. I've been buying cards in the high 20, low 30 pop count in the $35-$45 range for the past few months.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

He was an average player, very good for a few years but nothing special about him. sounds like this is coming from a REDS fan. Nothing wrong but lets keep it realistic.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    He was an average player, very good for a few years but nothing special about him. sounds like this is coming from a REDS fan. Nothing wrong but lets keep it realistic.

im insulted, im a Pirates fan,,,,

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@JRR300 said:

im insulted, im a Pirates fan,,,,

I didn't remember that he played for the Bucs later on. He played for the Phils one year after the Reds. As a fellow Pennsylvanian, please accept my apologies! But it doesn't change the fact that he was an average player!

• Options

I find that the prices asked for PSA 10 commons tend to fluctuate wildly, depending on the number of cards the seller sent in his subs and the number of 10s he got back. People figure that the price they get for their 10s have to make up for their cards that got 5s and 6s. Doesn’t necessarily make a lot of sense, but it is what it is…

• Options

@Yosaifweiss said:
    I find that the prices asked for PSA 10 commons tend to fluctuate wildly, depending on the number of cards the seller sent in his subs and the number of 10s he got back. People figure that the price they get for their 10s have to make up for their cards that got 5s and 6s. Doesn’t necessarily make a lot of sense, but it is what it is…

about as logical a reason as any. Just have to be patient. About the only cards that keep increasing steadily are the HOFers, a few rookies and the really low pop cards.

• Options

In my mind, the interesting question is: When PSA reopens to the average collector (who won’t pay hundreds per card), and the value rate for subs doubles or triples, why would anybody sell any PSA 10 without a much larger premuim? For that matter, every PSA card graded should increase in value accordingly… But will they?

• Options

I just don't think that will happen. That may be the case for individual collectors, but you can't tell me that some of these large card wholesalers/retailers don't get preferred treatment, including pricing and service. JMO. When you get into the 80's, there was a ton of production so many of those cards remain out there. Some companies will find a way to capitalize on that.

• Options

But those trying to finish registry sets are just going to get caught in the middle…

• Options

I agree that PSA must have sweetheart deals for the guys who sub tens of thousands of cards, but the honest me desperately wants to believe that they dont get preferential treatment when it comes to grades. So the larger amount of money it will take to get a PSA 10, or a 9 in older, tougher cards, should still dictate for a price adjustment…

• Options

and you will still see all those cards being grading and placed for sale which will keep prices for "regular" cards in line. Collectors and investors still want the HOFers and will continue to drive up those prices. I think where you'll see the squeeze is in the cards prior to 1980, especially commons, which are held by collectors who won't want to pay the price to have commons graded.

• Options

I agree - but I’m holding on to the few 1978 psa 10s that PSA saw fit to grace me with… and maybe one day I’ll get back the 300 cards I sent them in November🙂

• Options

@Yosaifweiss said:
    I agree - but I’m holding on to the few 1978 psa 10s that PSA saw fit to grace me with… and maybe one day I’ll get back the 300 cards I sent them in November🙂

Good luck! Maybe you'll see them next year.

• Options

Does anyone here know of any type of group of collectors for this 84 Donruss set? Thanks

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

10 or so years ago this set was on fire. Today, not so much. No groups I 'm aware of.

• Options

this set has become very quiet, with the exception of the HOFers that continue to do well. Not much in way of commons to speak of. Will have to put this set on hold for a while and hope it comes back to life.

• Options

I just picked up an Ozzie Smith PSA 10. It's around a $100 card. When looking at the auction history, it shows that earlier in the year, someone paid $1200+ on EBAY from PWCC. Can this be right???? Maybe $120+, but $1200 plus??? I think the only card in the entire set with that kind of value is the Mattingly rookie.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

PWCC.........Probably No money changed hands or bank accounts.

• Options

@1959 said:
    PWCC.........Probably No money changed hands or bank accounts.

so what's the purpose? to put a ridiculously high value on the sale history to bump future values and sales?

• Options

YEP!

• Options

Anyone looking at the history should see that it looks bogus. I just don't get it.

Thanks for shedding some light on my question.

• Options

You can now buy shares of a card. A large or perhaps small group of investors have bought many , and I mean Many, HOF cards(high grade) (Mantle, Koufax, Jordan, Jim Brown and on and on and on. These cards have been put away (PWCC perhaps) and will not see the light of day until these cards will make them worthy enough profit. They do not need money so there is no reason to sell any time soon. Notice that you do not see many , if any high grade HOF cards for sale anywhere for anything near the amount of the past few years. It wil take a while if at all for the prices to come down.

• Options

That is true. Any high grade vintage HOF cards have been sucked up because of the cheap money available, and because the returns, at least for right now are staggeringly high. Seen HOF cards in the 72 set that I closely follow increase 3 or 4 times in the year.

• Options

I've been trying to build this set in PSA 10. Startup went pretty quickly but now I'm down to a crawl. Got down to where I need about 160 cards and seem to be stuck there. There just doesn't seem to be any new 10's available. I realize the PSA backlog is an issue, but the cost to have graded, especially commons, is also having a big impact. Anyone seeing the same thing? Also, if anyone looking to sell off their set to raise cash, I'd be interested. Thanks.

• Options

Bump to see if anything has changed in almost a year. Now down to about 135 cards so not much progress over the past year. Also, if anyone looking to sell off their set to raise cash, I'd be interested. Thanks.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a screenshot of an email that I received today. It may be of interest to some of the 84 Donruss collectors.

• Options

Yes, I'm fairly certain it is referring to going live on eBay.

• Options

i just looked at my Panamanian Lists
    Apparently i already have
    the
    1984 Donruss
    Ben Oglivie PSA 10
    Juan Berenguer PSA 10
    Omar Moreno PSA 10
    Rod Carew PSA 10
    i need a 1983 SET BREAK !!!

• Options

@lawyer05 said:
    the
    1984 Donruss
    Ben Oglivie PSA 10
    Juan Berenguer PSA 10
    Omar Moreno PSA 10
    Rod Carew PSA 10

According to the email, there will be additional sets listed later in the week. If I get any more info that refers to a 1983 Donruss set break, I'll let you know.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@lawyer05 said:
    the
    1984 Donruss
    Ben Oglivie PSA 10
    Juan Berenguer PSA 10
    Omar Moreno PSA 10
    Rod Carew PSA 10

According to the email, there will be additional sets listed later in the week. If I get any more info that refers to a 1983 Donruss set break, I'll let you know.

thanks
    1982 or 1981 as well

• Options

been waiting for one like this for quite some time. Would love to pick up a good amount of the commons; already have all the HOFers except for one or two. With 596 PSA 10's available, I could put a dent my want list.

• Options

did everyone see the prices on that set break up????? I think I bid on over 100 cards, bid more than I thought they were worth. Not even close. Wound up with around 13. that's good for my set value, but looks like I won't be completing this any time soon if at all.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    did everyone see the prices on that set break up????? I think I bid on over 100 cards, bid more than I thought they were worth. Not even close. Wound up with around 13. that's good for my set value, but looks like I won't be completing this any time soon if at all.

I did not follow the auctions for the 84 Donruss once I posted the information. I do not collect this set in graded form, but would love to see pics of your purchases once they arrive, if you care to share.

I find myself in a similar situation with the sets that I do pursue. For long stretches, there will only be one or two that I need pop up for sale, and then I'm disappointed when they often reach price levels beyond what I'm willing to pay. I do get lucky now and then to check a few off, and then the hunt continues. Good luck with your set.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

I find myself in a similar situation with the sets that I do pursue. For long stretches, there will only be one or two that I need pop up for sale, and then I'm disappointed when they often reach price levels beyond what I'm willing to pay. I do get lucky now and then to check a few off, and then the hunt continues. Good luck with your set.

You also, what other sets do you collect? And I will put up some PIX when I get the cards.
    The odd thing here is that for the first time, I went after what I thought were the toughest, more pricy cards when I started this set. Got all the HOFers but one, got the Mattingly, strawberry and Carter Rookies. Normally, you'd easily be able to fill in the commons and lesser type stars, but not the case here. I believe the COVID period is the culprit. Once the grading costs started to soar, no one gets commons graded.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@countdouglas said:

You also, what other sets do you collect? And I will put up some PIX when I get the cards.
    The odd thing here is that for the first time, I went after what I thought were the toughest, more pricy cards when I started this set. Got all the HOFers but one, got the Mattingly, strawberry and Carter Rookies. Normally, you'd easily be able to fill in the commons and lesser type stars, but not the case here. I believe the COVID period is the culprit. Once the grading costs started to soar, no one gets commons graded.

I completed one 1975 Topps baseball, all 8s or better with a roughly 8.4 GPA, 6 or 7 years ago. I've upgraded periodically, and ended up starting a second 1975 baseball set with the cards that had been bumped out and the duplicates I'd picked up in lots, etc. that is now 75%+ completed at roughly a 7.5 or so GPA. 1975 is one of the most popular sets to collect, so I don't really devote much effort of late competing with others to upgrade the first or finish the second. I do add one here and there periodically.

The set I'm working on the most right now is the 1981 Topps baseball. I'm roughly 88% with all 9s or better currently, except for 2 (I think) 8s that I'm hoping are only placeholders. I have all the HOFers, it's the low pop commons that never surface.

I'm also doing 77, 78, 79, and 82 Topps baseball, but that's more of a situation where I buy 75s or 81s and then see if the seller has a few that I need from the other years. I don't hunt hard for those. I also have a 1975 Topps mini set that is 10%+ complete, all 8 minimum, with a handful of 9s, mostly a result of mixed lots when I was working on the full sized, or maybe a mis-listed card that I wouldn't have seen otherwise if it had indicated mini, but couldn't pass it up for the price.

I do own a decent enough raw 84 Donruss set. I just have too many other projects going on to pursue it in graded form right now. Maybe one day...

• Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Grading costs do look to be coming down. With the backlog, I don't think you'll see any flood of commons immediately, and even once the backlog resolves, people are going to be a little gun shy to submit commons given how strictly I hear PSA is grading. But, I think 6-12 months from now, you'll start to see commons hit the market again.

• Options

I just sent a batch of 1981 stars and some commons in a couple of days ago - I guess in a few months we will see how they are grading cards that came straight from mint vending…

• Options

@bens4778 said:
    Grading costs do look to be coming down. With the backlog, I don't think you'll see any flood of commons immediately, and even once the backlog resolves, people are going to be a little gun shy to submit commons given how strictly I hear PSA is grading. But, I think 6-12 months from now, you'll start to see commons hit the market again.

I'm hoping you're right. I hate to come this far and not be able to complete this set. One of my all time faves.

• Options

Is it likely that PSA might have a $15 Bulk special on pre-1996 cards for members, in your opinion?

• Options

My guess is that they will alternate the special between modern and vintage (so, yes, eventually).

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wolfin2000 said:
    Is it likely that PSA might have a $15 Bulk special on pre-1996 cards for members, in your opinion?

Wow I thought you said $5 special.

havingflashbacks

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Boy, it seems like interest in this set has really died down. Hardly any comments and activity. Still one of my favorite sets; love the design.

• Options

So, I've given up trying to complete an all PSA 10 set. With about 70 cards remaining, I've decided to fill it with PSA 9, nothing lower. Down to about a dozen or so cards, almost exclusively ones with a low 20's pop count or less. Anyone with any 9's they're looking to move? Already posted on the B/S/T forum. Looking for the following #'s 382,446,447,450,478,497,535,536,545,553,556 and 647.
    Please help me complete this set.

• Options

It looks like interest in this set is almost non existent. I did pick up #446 and #447, so they are no longer needed. That brings the number down to 10 cards. I do have leads on 4 of the cards but nothing concrete.
    Please help and old time collector find these few cards and finish off this set.