Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Dale Murphy Master/Basic Collector's Thread

Greetings to all,

I am starting a thread on Dale Murphy. I personally am and have been a big fan of Mr. Murphy since I was a child. Growing up in the NE corner of Alabama, we always got WTBS and I got to watch tons of his games.

I am going to get a scanner and I will be adding scans of his cards, both graded and raw. I am in the process of compiling a complete checklist of all of his cards from his playing years 1976-1993. The one item that is giving me fits is the 1988 Topps stickers and stickercard variations. Not sure what the final number of these variations will be, but I believe that it end up over 20.

I am also hoping to use this thread to encourage more collectors to register their sets on the set registery, at this time there are 12 master sets and I would like to see that double or triple.

Currently I am in 6th place, Joey G' set. My goal is to crack the top 5. Lance, from Hawaii, sits on top right now but has someone nipping at his heels. I have bought and traded with Lance in the past and I will try to get him to contribute to this thread too. To be honest I'm a little jealous, he has an awesome Murphy collection and gets to live in a tropical paradise! He probably has a smoking hot wife too, now I'm really jealous!!! The second place collection currently is the Rocky Mount. collection, sweet collection but I have no name to go with it. Rocky, your more than welcomed to lend your knowledge to this thread, it will be appreciated. In third place is Derek D. Derek is a regular contributer to this forum and a swell guy. Derek was kind enough to send me one of his duplicates, 1993 Pinn. Dufex. THANK YOU!!! so much,

At this time those are the big three, the #4 & 5 collection are very nice collections too.

Just a quick summary of my collection. Currently I have about 2500 raw cards and close to 50 graded cards. My best card is probably a 1980 Topps PSA 10 and my favorite graded card is 1993 Pinn. Dufex PSA 8. The card that I would really like to get my hands on would be (besides his rookie in a 10) would be a 1982 OPC PSA 10. I've always loved the 82 design.

I do have some extra graded cards that I would be willing to trade. 1983 Donruss PSA 10, 1986 Don. Highlights PSA 10, 1987 Donruss PSA 10, and 1987 Topps Tiff. PSA 9. Not to mention a whole bevy of raw cards.

Anyone wanting to contributr to this thread your more than welcomed.

Thanks,
Joey
collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

Comments

• CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to add something

About a month ago a 1977 Topps PSA 10 sold on Ebay for $1250.
  • I knew you would pony up and get this thread going. I'm entertaining the idea of doing a Basic Topps set for Dale and for Chipper. I'd also like to get basic topps sets of Glavine and Smoltzy up there too. Who knows what the future holds. Still, glad to see you started this one up.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • I am giving eBay buyers until the end of the month to buy my 1986 Topps Murphy PSA 10 or it will be the beginning of my Murphy registry set. I have a few tougher modern PSA 10's from personal submissions so why not.
    I made a considerable offer on it, someone rejected my offer. My feelings were hurt.
  • I do have an extra 86 Topps Murphy PSA 9 that I could send you for like $82.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I just recently reactivated my Basic set after picking up a PSA 9 '83 Topps. It's #9, 6 cards, all 9s. Pretty casual. I may fill in some slots as time goes along, at least enough to get up over 10%, but my main focus for the next little while is going to be on my sets for The Big Three.
    Did a little research on the 1988 Topps Stickers

Dale Murphy appears in two seperate verisions:

1. Sticker = The sticker is #'ed 45 with Dale M. batting. This sticker comes with 4 different stickercards on the reverse

2. Stickercard = The actual back of the sticker, across the top is written 'SuperStar' with a his stats at the bottom. This stickercard comes with 14 seperate stickers on
    the front. This to can be graded with the sticker removed as just a stickercard, thus a 15th version.

The two bring to total number of variations for Dale Murphy within the 1988 Topps stickers to 19.

Here is a list of the 14 (still looking for more) stickers that appear on the front of his stickercard

1. Cal Ripken-160
    2. George Brett-25
    3. Gary Carter-152
    4. Jeffrey Leonard-86
    5. Mike Witt-174
    6. Tony Gywnn-115
    7. V. Hayes/J. Rice
    8. R. Sandberg/T. Kennedy
    9. N. Heaton/B. Butler
    10.H. Brooks/R. Guidry
    11.D. James/G. Pettis
    12.B. Ruffin/M. Stanl
    13.A. Galarraga/C. Washington
    14. Candy Maldonado-95
    15. If the sticker is removed it will be graded as just a stickercard

Here is a list of the 4 different stickercards that appear on the back of his #45 sticker

16. Dan Plesac
    17. Wally Joyner
    18. John Franco
    19. Jody Davis

If anyone has a different variation please let me know
    Dale is back on page 1
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a psa 10 1989 topps Braves #549 with Dale M., Ken Griffey, Dion James and Gerald Perry.

Do any of you Murphy nuts need/want it? $12 delivered.

PM me.

Brian
    Just recieved 4 new PSA 10's in the mail today!!!! I'm slowly creeping up on 5th place, however I have a long way to go.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    This thread is worthless without scans.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    You're welcome!

imageimage
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    The only Murphy item I own:

• carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I need a 1985 Donruss #66 Dale Murphy in a PSA 10 for my set, however I would take a PSA 9 until more are graded. I think the POP report has three cards graded a 10.
    Love the scans, especially the '86 box bottom and the '86 police card.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I know there are a lot of you guys who are Dale Murphy Fans. There have been quite a few threads about him and I have been meaning to share this with you guys. About 20 years ago I sent a TTM auto request to Mr. Murphy. he did not sign the cards, but sent this instead:

Next up is the front of a nice 6" x 3.5" autographed card:

And here is the back of the card:

I hope you guys enjoyed it!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Awesome stuff guys. The letter looks like it was from an actual typewriter.
  • Doug, that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Even the letter gives you a feeling of how nice a guy he is and you got 2 autos.
  • Found this card on eBay. Tough card and only one listed.

1986 Topps Murphy PSA 10

<< <i>Doug, that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Even the letter gives you a feeling of how nice a guy he is and you got 2 autos. >>

Bill ... yes, it really does show that he cared about his fans and appreciated that he was able to make a GREAT living playing a kid's game! I never met him, but he always seemed like a real nice person. (The auto on the letter is a copy ... the one on the picture is real.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>I never met him, but he always seemed like a real nice person >>

Got to meet him quite a few times when I was a kid. Some of my fondest childhood baseball memories were of him, Claudell Washington and Brett Butler coming back out of the dugout after the game to sign autos and chit chat with the fans.
  • Group sub cards that popped today:

120 1 14785917 GEM MINT 10 1984 O-PEE-CHEE 150 DALE MURPHY Card US POP 1 !!!!
    123 1 14785920 GEM MINT 10 1984 O-PEE-CHEE 391 DALE MURPHY Card US
    Bill ... and remember what you just said? MY CARDS WILL NOT POP TODAY! lmao
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Murphy and OPC, needless to say I'm jealous! I have about 25 raw 84 Murphy OPC #150 and all of them are at least 85/15 on the L/R centering. I was beginning to think that there would never be a PSA 10 in that card. Well done Bill
    Looks like Bill's starting the Murphy Registry.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • I have a mancrush for Murph.
  • ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Love this thread!

I have the #8 Master set and I been a huge Murph fan since I was a kid in the 80's watching him in an empty Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium. I work on this set on and off and especially love finding the the oddball card. When I was in grade school my Dad caught a Murph home run in the empty outfield bleachers. We walked down to the dugout and showed the ball to someone in a Braves uniform, who then called out to Murph and he promptly not only signed it but dated it and put home run #23. At that point he could do no wrong. (I will post a scan when I get home from work).

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • GoldlabelsGoldlabels Posts: 359 ✭✭
    I just got some Dale Murphy PSA 10's. Let me know if interested and we can talk about prices.

1985 Topps
    1981 Donruss
    1986 OPC POP 1 WOW
    Two interesting items on Ebay at this time

1978 Topps PSA 10, current bid is over 340

1987 Leaf PSA 10 Pop 1, with 4 days left, $20 no bids - Bet that changes

The 87 Leaf is on the low end of a 10, the L-R centering is closer to 55-45 than 50-50. That withstanding, I assume it will still go for over 100
    Just got my 1992 topps gold psa 10 in the mail today. Now I need 1992 Topps gold winners, 1992 topps micro, and 1992 OPC PSA 10s. I like the fact that they are all the same design, but a different variation.

Same way in 1984; Topps, Topps Tiffany, OPC, and Nestle are all the same, but different variation. The sad part is that PSA will not grade the Nestle because they were issued in sheet form only.

PSA, Please grade the 1984 Nestle's and give them a Hand-Cut modifier!!!!! These cards are tooooo sweet not to be slabbed
  • Hey guys, just wanted to let you know were having a sale on our Dale Murphy cards with most our auctions starting at $5.99 with low buy it nows.
    Thanks,

psa-set-guy Dale Murphy auctions
    psa-set-guy eBay store

Orange County Sports Inv.
    psasetguy@yahoo.com
    (714) 373-9800
    Giving Dale a little bump
  • Hi All - Just joined the site - I am the person who bought the 1977 Topps Dale Murphy rookie in PSA 10 (population of 11) on eBay for $1250 a few months ago - gift for one of my sons - figured I cannot take it with me - since then I picked up a 1978 Topps Murphy in PSA 10 (population of 21) and a 1980 Topps Murphy in PSA 10 (population of 37) - looking for a 1979 Topps Murphy in PSA 10 grade but there are only three and at least two are owned by people who would never sell - other real tough Murphy cards on my want list are a 1978 Coke in PSA 10 (possibly one for sale), a 1979 O-Pee-Chee in PSA 9 (possibly four for sale), and a 1980 O-Pee-Chee in PSA 9 (possibly one for sale) - there is only one 1979 Hostess in PSA 9 and the owner will never sell - if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated - my e-mail address is mikeppsych@hotmail.com - Michaelimage
    Welcome Michael. Wow, you have surpassed my Murphy collection very quickly!

The Topps 1981,82, & 83 are as difficult to by as any, they rarely come up on Ebay.
  • I decided to stop for the most part at 1980 because there are just too many 1981, 1982, and 1983 Murphy cards and almost all of them have PSA 10 populations in single digits.image
  • Finally got my POP 1 Murphy back in my hands. Of course he is for sale on eBay (or will be in a few minutes).

Nice cards Billimage
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Just popped and for sale.

14661293 GEM MINT 10 1991 TOPPS 545 DALE MURPHY
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a psa 10 1989 Panini Sticker of the Murph if anyone wants it. $17 delivered. PM me.
  • BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    just picked this up in the mail today.
    nothing special

Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
    1982 Topps PSA 10 just went for $202 on Ebay. Was it anyone here?
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I was very pleased to find this thread this morning. Joey- big props for getting this started, it was long overdue. I've collected Murphy since '84 and participate in the Murph registries as well. Someone posted a scan earlier with a Murphy letter and signed card. That brought back some memories and I received the same letter and signed card in response to some fan mail back when I younger, but I digress. Onto the cards. Joey- I totally agree that the stickers and sticker cards are one of the biggest challenges to the Murphy master set. There are just so many variations that it takes patience and time to find good raw versions of each. The good thing is that PSA grading on these seems to be liberal. I submitted a few of the 1988s last year and got a 10 back on my variation with Von Hayes and Jim Rice. The 88's are much easier to find in good condition than say the early 80's stickers, mostly because of centering in my opinion. It took me several years to find an '83 Murphy / Al Oliver version that was centered enough to submit. Half of my raw copies are grossly miscut. And don't get me started on the foils....
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    Mike- I think you made a great purchase on the 77 Topps Murphy PSA 10. $1250 is a lot of coin, but they just don't come up often enough to risk passing on it. I passed on a 79 Topps psa10 on Ebay a few years back and still regret it. And no, I haven't seen another one since.

You mentioned the '78 Coke card, so I thought I'd respond. I have 1 of the 3 psa10 versions and when I raw submitted it, it wasn't on the set composition yet. I think this was 2 summers ago. I did as much research as I could and I believed the card to be from '78 given the stats on the back and the uniform/hat design etc. I called it the Coke card too because of the nice sponsor's logo, but I have no idea who manufactured them. There is a radio staion logo on the card as well. Someone told me they thought these team sets were given out as promos at the old Fulton County Stadium back in '78. If anyone else has theories about where these cards came from, I'd love to know. I also have a spare psa8 from my original raw submission. I won't sell it, but would trade it to someone on this thread for some other difficult to find specialty Murphy card.

-Michael Adams
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Seeing the Murphy auto card in the earlier post got me thinking..When I received this is the mail back in the 80's, I always thought of it more as a picture than a card. I guess over time I forgot about the stats etc. on the back. I wanted to get everyone's opinion about whether or not this should be submitted to PSA for addition to the Master set. This is the card that Murphy sent to EVERYONE who sent him fanmail when he was a Brave, so there should be enough copies out there to warrant making this part of the master set. They even pop up on Ebay every once in a while and sometimes people claim they "got this autograph in person in the player's parking lot after the game" which always makes me crack up... One problem would be assigning a date to it since the same version was mailed out for almost a decade. Thoughts?

Welcome aboard Macadams, it is a pleasure to have you particapating! I have a long way to go to catch up with your collection. I have two psa 10s that I have not yet added to my registery, 1992 topps gold and a 1984 opc.

Anyone know the pop report on 1980 OPC Dale M ?
    Guys- I thought I'd post some spares I had instead of putting them on Ebay. Nothing huge here, but I'm willing to sell these or trade them for some of your duplicates that I may need. Also, as a new member to the thread, I have no idea if you guys trade via this thread or not. If B/S/T isn't kosher here, lemme know. I don't want to be "that guy."

-84 Topps Tiffany #150 psa 8 ($4)
    -84 Topps #150 psa 9 ($8)
    -83 OPC #23 psa 8 ($7)
    -81 Topps scratch offs (2) with Blue/Dawson psa 6 and with Moreno/Templeton psa 7 ($5 for pair)
    -86 Police psa 9 ($30)

Hope everyone had a great 4th...

<< <i> Also, as a new member to the thread, I have no idea if you guys trade via this thread or not. If B/S/T isn't kosher here, lemme know. I don't want to be "that guy." >>

I think the general rule of thumb is that it's okay within the specific threads dedicated to whatever set (or player) you're featuring. If you made a new, seperate individual post in this forum, rather than in BS&T, that would probably be frowned upon.
    Here are some of my extras that I would be interested in trading

1983 Donruss PSA 10

1986 Donruss Highlights PSA 10

1987 Donruss PSA 10

1987 Topps Tiff. PSA 9

One of the Murphy 77 Topps PSA 10's is currently on the Bay (not mine). Just an FYI- Item # 200361691698. If anyone on the board winds up buying this, please let us know. Good luck...

OK, who bought it? Fess up... I was surprised it stayed under a grand..