Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Dale Murphy Master/Basic Collector's Thread

Comments

• @ mcadams,
    That 77 Murphy your talking about is actually a different card.The first one he listed,I sent him a BIN offer on ebay & he accepted.He actually had 2 of them & was just listing them at seperate times.Prob to get the most he could for them.Can't blame him for that though,know what I mean?
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    Why is Raymond Boone selling off his set?

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • He had a nice collection didn't he? I picked up one of his cards I needed for my collection.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is Raymond Boone selling off his set? >>

Ray says anyone can contact him through his email link on the set registry tab. He is taking offers on anything not included in his basic set. He had a small fortune invested in the master set.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    I submitted a large # of Murphys to PSA about 6 weeks ago and just got the subs back today. Grades are all across the board, but this one was my favorite.

N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1988 CHEF BOYARDEE 17 DALE MURPHY PERFORATED

I am definitely going to look up the guy I bought this from. :>
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Who's going to National? Joey? Greg? Terry? Other Murphy guys...?

nope
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Alas, no.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Nope, I will be cadding for my seven year old daughter in a youth golf tourney that weekend.

I'm really looking forward to that. I've been working on her golf swing for 3 years now. Time to see how good she is!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

<< <i>Nope, I will be cadding for my seven year old daughter in a youth golf tourney that weekend.

I'm really looking forward to that. I've been working on her golf swing for 3 years now. Time to see how good she is! >>

Cool, that sounds like a good time. Joey, I think you should get some of those pants like John Daly broke out this week at the British Open and wear them to your daughter's tournament. Nothing says professional like bright purple paisley pants on a dude.

• miked211miked211 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    This is a thread is a great read. I am relatively new to CU and have posted to several other threads but not this one. I have been collecting Murphy since about 1986 and I collect raw (don't judge me) cards from 1977 to 1993. I also collect posters, mags, baseball, postcards, some graded cards and anything else Murphy. I am down to only 2 tea discs, the donruss aqueous, the 93 pinnacle promo and the SI sticker on my wantlist. I have seen, have or know about most things Murphy from 77 to 93 and there were several questions I saw you ask that went unanswered as I was reading.
    -Metal Murphy
    77 Huntingtons Reprint
    85 Topps Gallery of Champion silver, bronze and something that looks pewter
    86 Topps Gallery of Champions silver, bronze, aluminium and something that looks pewter
    -The 84 Braves Team card
    the green flag has around 4 varieties but only in the regular issue not tiffany or nestle
    I do have the 1988 Tetley Disc Murphy PSA 7 that I paid quite a bit for a while back before I found a raw disc if anyone is interested.
    Great thread!
    Michael

<< <i>This is a thread is a great read. I am relatively new to CU and have posted to several other threads but not this one. I have been collecting Murphy since about 1986 and I collect raw (don't judge me) cards from 1977 to 1993. I also collect posters, mags, baseball, postcards, some graded cards and anything else Murphy. I am down to only 2 tea discs, the donruss aqueous, the 93 pinnacle promo and the SI sticker on my wantlist. I have seen, have or know about most things Murphy from 77 to 93 and there were several questions I saw you ask that went unanswered as I was reading.
    -Metal Murphy
    77 Huntingtons Reprint
    85 Topps Gallery of Champion silver, bronze and something that looks pewter
    86 Topps Gallery of Champions silver, bronze, aluminium and something that looks pewter
    -The 84 Braves Team card
    the green flag has around 4 varieties but only in the regular issue not tiffany or nestle
    I do have the 1988 Tetley Disc Murphy PSA 7 that I paid quite a bit for a while back before I found a raw disc if anyone is interested.
    Great thread!
    Michael >>

Thanks Michael and welcome to the boards. Send me your want list and I'll see if I can help- I have quite a few of the 80's era discs, but not sure which 2 you need. Regarding the 84 Team card, the guy who posts here regularly with the Alabama logo was trying to get PSA to recognize the different variations for the master set which most off us are working toward, but not sure if he had any luck with them or not.

• miked211miked211 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    The two discs I am looking for are the
    1989 Our Own Tea
    1989 Weis Winners / Weis Market
    I have been looking for a long time any have only seen 1 or 2 players from each of these sets.
    Thanks for looking.
    If you are looking for any raw cards to send in let me know. I have alot of extras.
    Michael
    Just score two cheap PSA10s last night. I am always happy landing a bargain.

My girls came in fifth out of eight. I was super proud of her. They had a 10 stroke limit and she hit that only twice.

Her longest drive was close to 150 yards! The par four averaged 180 yards so that was popping for that age.

The old saying that you drive for show and putt for dough is true, we will be practicing her putting and chipping a little more.

Next year they are having a statewide tourney at Shoal Creek in B'ham, she will be in that one too.
    Joey- Glad to hear your daughter did well in the golf tourny. Post again next year when she's in the Bham tournament and maybe I can drop by and say hello. Never played at Shoal Creek, but heard its nice.

Gentlemen- I have upgraded several of my Murphy master set cards over the last year, plus I just got back a large PSA order a few weeks ago, and I'm left with some nice cards ranging from PSA 10 - PSA 6 and a few others that I probably could not sell on Ebay. These are all duplicates that I cannot use in my master set registry. I'd love to trade these for your duplicates. Some of these are very nice, some you could probably use as fillers. I would encourage others here to post their duplicates as well and perhaps we can turn this thread into an efficient way for us to trade and build our sets cheaply. My extras are below, sorted by grade. Look forward to seeing your dupes and of course any of these are for sale too, although I'd prefer trade.

1988 Score #450 PSA 10
    1988 Topps #90 PSA 9
    1989 Bowman #276, PSA 9
    1990 Leaf #243 PSA 9
    1989 Fleer #596, PSA 9
    1991 Ultra #270 PSA 9
    1981 Topps Braves Team #675, PSA 9
    1980 Topps PSA 9 (OC)
    1989 HILLS TEAM MVP'S 21 DALE MURPHY PSA 8
    1990 Topps #750 PSA 8
    1983 Topps RBI Leaders #703 Murphy/Mcrae PSA 8
    1984 Topps Tiffany #150 PSA 8
    1986 Topps Stickers #149 PSA 8
    1987 Fleer Record Setters #23 PSA 8
    1987 Topps #490 PSA 8
    1991 Red Foley sticker (blue border variation) PSA 7
    1981 Topps stickers #146, PSA7
    1985 Topps Rub-downs Murphy / Dave Winfield PSA 6

83 Donruss PSA 10
    86 Donruss Highlights PSA 10
    87 Donruss PSA 10
    87 Topps Tiffany PSA 9
    90 Kaybee Kings PSA 9

mcadams,

Are there any other sets or players that you would be interested in trading for?
  • I have a 1985 Topps Murphy PSA 10... might put it up on ebay. Anyone suggest a starting bid for it? It has a pop of 7... Thanks for your help!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's

<< <i>I have a 1985 Topps Murphy PSA 10... might put it up on ebay. Anyone suggest a starting bid for it? It has a pop of 7... Thanks for your help! >>

I assume you're referring to the #320 and not the #716, which is a bit more rare in 10. If its the #320, I'd start it @ 9.99 and hope to get between $15 and $18. A large Murphy collector sold off several hundred Murphy PSA 9's and 10's a few weeks and somewhat flooded the market with supply. You could have maybe gotten more before that happened.

Nothing to add, just hate to see Murph not on page 1.
    I'm getting the scanner out later this morning, but I wanted to add pics of a few cards I got back from a recent sub that will be new to the master set registry. One of my favorites is an artist's color sketch that looks like a cartoon caricature that you'd get at the fair. The card is clearly marked on the back as being from 1992, but I wasn't sure who made it. PSA named it "1992 Baseball Enquirer." I've seen a few other similar cards of other players on Ebay, but I don't have a checklist or know who else is in the set. I bought 3 Murphys from a dealer last year not knowing what they were and I'd say all 3 would grade in the 7 - 8 range, if subbed. I'll add pics of it and some of the others later today.

-Michael

These popped today. Both of these I had graded earlier this year, and both came back as psa 8's. Not this time.

17366910 GEM MINT 10 1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 150 DALE MURPHY Card US
    17366911 MINT 9 1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 150 DALE MURPHY Card US
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15

<< <i>I'm getting the scanner out later this morning, but I wanted to add pics of a few cards I got back from a recent sub that will be new to the master set registry. One of my favorites is an artist's color sketch that looks like a cartoon caricature that you'd get at the fair. The card is clearly marked on the back as being from 1992, but I wasn't sure who made it. PSA named it "1992 Baseball Enquirer." I've seen a few other similar cards of other players on Ebay, but I don't have a checklist or know who else is in the set. I bought 3 Murphys from a dealer last year not knowing what they were and I'd say all 3 would grade in the 7 - 8 range, if subbed. I'll add pics of it and some of the others later today.

-Michael >>

Here goes... This is the 1992 Enquirer. I like it alot because I haven't seen many Murphy cards that are caricatures vs. real pictures. This is the only Murphy from this set I have ever seen after 20 yrs+ of collecting, so I'm assuming they are at least somewhat rare.

The other interesting thing about the Enquiror card is that you'll notice there is no name on the front. Thats because its actually a game where you identify the player. There are hint questions on the back to help you figure out who the player is.

Back of Enquiror card-

The Enquiror card will be new to the master set. From the rest of my sub, I believe these are new as well. They are Red Foley's from the early 90s, but they aren't the stickers. Murphy cards were actually also on the cover of the '91 and 92 Foley books and I subbed one of each of those as well. Condition is not good, but I don't come across these frequently enough to wait on a better example.

Lastly- I wanted to share one of the better raw cards from the 70's that I've found for Murphy in a while. Got this 79 OPC raw a few months ago as part of a 79 OPC Braves set for 6.99. The Murphy is fantastic and actually most every Braves card in the set was psa 8ish or better.

The other card in the picture will also be new to the master set. Is is a 1986 Meadow Gold, but not the stat back that is more frequently found. This is the blank back, which is a bit tougher to come by. They come in panels of 3 and for some reason the Murphy panel is harder to find than the others.

I didn't sub the blank back, but found it on ebay a few weeks ago. The 9 is the highest graded example and is a pop 1.

Good stuff, especially the OPC.
    The 1979 Topps Dale Murphy has only 3 10's, two of which are in the registery. Does anyone know who has the third?

I am surprised that the 77 has 20 10's now, I wonder how high the pop will go?
    I think 4SC has recently pumped up the pops on the rookie in all of the higher grades. They've had dozens of 8's and 9's in the last few months.
    I wish that 4SC would flood the market with 82 Topps PSA 10s so that the price would drop down to my budget.

The 82 Topps cards has always been one of my favorites. It was the first card of Murph that I busted out of a pack when I was a kid.

Has the VCP dropped on the 77 & 78 10s since the 4SC cards have hit the market?
    Somebody with access is going to have to answer that.

I paid $50 for my rookie and $30.00 for my '78. They've listed their BINs at or around those prices in the last few months and they've been selling pretty consistently.

Did any one of you guys get that '79 Hostess they were auctioning a couple of weeks ago?
    I saw the Hostess, but it wasn't me who bought it. Regarding the recent increase in pop of the 77 RC, I don't think the price has really dropped on the psa10. They still seem to go over 1k when they show up on ebay. I'd like to own one, but no way would I ever pay close to that now that the pop is over 20.

4SC brought back one 10 (that I saw, at least) to go along with the 9's and 8's. That's about what they were looking for as a price. Not sure if it sold, but I would guess that it did.

Any idea on who bought the master set that was sold on this message board?
  • It was a guy down in Florida, he's not a registered user on PSA's site. He talked me down to 2800.00 which is good, I thought.
    I hated to part with the set,but I've got a medical problem that has come back on me & had too.
    Sorry you had to sell your set. Hope your medical issues are cleared up soon.

I hate to hear that your having medical issues. You sure did assemble a really great collection. I hope it all works out well with you.

The 81 and 82 Topps are very rare in 10s too.
  • Thanks for the kind words mcadams & Crimson Tider, I really caught alot of flack from others for trying to sell the set for what I was asking.
    I wasn't trying to rip someone off,I did turn a small profit,but i had to make as much as possible for what I need to do.
    I really hated to part with my Murphy collection,because of how much I admired him during his playing days & still to this day. I was one of those kids who wanted to be just like Murphy when I grew up. I came up as a kid during his playing years. shortly after I turned 14 or 15 I started to develop rashes under my eyes that never would go away & started getting violently sick after long exposures to sun. Come to find out I had Lupus & it's progressively gotten worse every year. It has now got to the point to where I am having to do special construction to my home & adding a special window that blocks out most of the rays,but still allows lite to get in.When I go out during the day,I pretty much have to cover myself from head to toe. As I get older,it gets worse.......
  • bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    I am also sorry to hear about your medical issues and have come here to apologize for how I was
    acting on your Dale Murphy sell thread. I should of not said anything at all about how much you wanted
    to sell your collection for and it wasn't my place to do so. So once again I apologize for what I said.

James
    I just upgraded my 1985 OPC from a PSA9 to a PSA10. I now have a 1985 OPC Murph PSA 9 up for trade.
    Anyone been buying anything during the offseason? Additions / upgrades? I took a few months off, but reading about Spring Training is drawing me back in.

-Michael

I upgraded my '81 Fleer to a PSA 10, bought a PSA 10 '82 Donruss from Guy, picked up PSA 10's for '84 and '85 Fleer, '86 Topps Tiffany and '87 Donruss and upgraded my '87 Fleer to a PSA 10.
    Just when I thought prices were settling down on Murphys, I see that an 86 Sportflics decade greats is now bid up to $71 with an hour to go. What am I missing?

# of participants in the master set has now reached 20.

The new guy pushed me out of the Top 10.

Ah, well...