Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Dale Murphy Master/Basic Collector's Thread

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Well...I know it wasn't me.

I considered bidding on the 9 they had but ultimately passed. What did it go for?
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i have the following murphy's for sale if anyone is interested (all prices delivered):

1987 FLEER 30 DALE MURPHY LIMITED EDITION psa 9 - ($7)
    1985 FLEER 335 DALE MURPHY N/A psa 9 - ($7)
    1988 SCORE 450 DALE MURPHY N/A psa 9 - ($7)
    1986 TOPPS TIFFANY 600 DALE MURPHY N/A psa 8 - ($5)
    1986 TRUE VALUE 10 DALE MURPHY N/A psa 4 - ($5) - some of the TrueValue cards are tough
    1986 DONRUSS 66 DALE MURPHY psa 8 - ($5)
    1981 TOPPS 504 DALE MURPHY psa 8 - ($5)
    1986 TOPPS 705 DALE MURPHY psa 8 - ($5)

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Here are my recent duplicates as well. Prices shown are delivered.
    -88 Score #450 PSA 10 ($12)
    -78 Coke PSA 8 ($25)

And some left over from last post-
    -84 Topps #150 psa 9 ($8)
    -83 OPC #23 psa 8 ($7)
    -81 Topps scratch offs (2) with Blue/Dawson psa 6 and with Moreno/Templeton psa 7 ($5 for pair)

As always I'm up for trading my duplicates for your Murphy's that I need, so check your duplicates against my registry needs and PM me.
    Also, to the guy who just posted the True Value at PSA 4, that made me crack up. I bought 10 raw True Value Murphy's a couple of years ago planning to submit to PSA. None were submittable quality. They are tough indeed.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    There is a PSA 10 '82 Topps Murphy up now on eBay from 4SC. There are currently 12 bids in and it's up to $139.50, with 5 days+ left.
  • Options

<< <i>Well...I know it wasn't me.

I considered bidding on the 9 they had but ultimately passed. What did it go for? >>

$732, which I thought was a great price. The pop report on the 77 PSA 10 is now 12, so I think this was a fresh pop. I regret not bidding more (again).
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    What's the pop on 82 Topps D. Murph?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
  • Options
    The '82 PSA 10 went for $214.50. 16 bids from 4 buyers.

As high as it was early in the listing, I thought it might go for more.
  • Options
    That still pretty impressive!

Which is lower pop in a 10, 1981 or 82 Topps?
  • Options
    The '81. It's a pop 3 in PSA 10.

Some other low pops as 10s are '79 (also 3), '81 Donruss (4), '82 Donruss (6...that's a wonderful looking card), '83 Fleer (another beauty, pop 6), '85 Donruss (3) and '88 Leaf (also 3)
  • Options
    Guys- Not sure if you got the email from Cosetta @ PSA or if you've following the thread "Email from Cosetta" over the past few weeks, but wanted to comment on that because it relates to the Murphy master set collectors here on Joey's thread. You should have gotten an email from Cosetta asking for your opinion about panels/stamps etc. As it stands, master set collectors are required to submit not only their player's cards, but also additional variations of that same card plus the player to their right or left or above or below etc. The problem is best put into perspective when you think about the 83 All Star game program and all the variations that could be submitted around 1 player. I will admit that I got pretty ticked off when I first noticed that Lance was doing this in his set with the Murphy/Moreno and then the Murphy/Parker/Washington/Wilson "Quad" stamp panel. You see where I'm going? The page of stamps in the all star game has literally hundreds of variations and its maddening. Cosetta's email has gotten a lot of responses and most everybody agrees that these stamp/panel variations should NOT be required, mainly because they weren't created to be viewed that way. If you haven't already done so, pls send Cosetta an email with a vote for "option #2". This way, we won't all have to spend $1,000 getting 150 variations of the all star program Murphy stamp attached to other players. Thanks.

• Options
    Also had a question for the board. Go back to page 1 of this thread when David Puddy posted a bunch scans of oddball Murphy cards. Anyone know what the top 2 cards are? Neither of these are the 87 Forestry Service Smokey that I added to the composite last summer. I think these are both samples we're missing from the registry. We should try to get samples of these submitted to PSA and added to the master set. Any info on these 2 specifically would be appreciated and I'll try to track em down.

• Options
    I replied back with option #2. I hope that they leave all of the Topps Stickercards variations though. I don't mind those due to the fact that they came out of the pack that way. As for the All-Star Program variations, I believe that only the single card should apply, and don't get me started about 1984 Nestle. Why can these not be hand cut but one can cut any All-Star program and send it in with 185 different variations?

BTW, I have some really sweet 84 Nestles just waiting to get slapped.
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    The first card is the 1987 Atlanta Braves Fire Safety #14. The second card is 1987 U.S. Forestry Service # 2 Shirttail in version. You added the shirtail out version, which is the tougher one. Nice job on the 10 there.

Neither of these are in the registry yet.

And, I voted #2.

<< <i>Also had a question for the board. Go back to page 1 of this thread when David Puddy posted a bunch scans of oddball Murphy cards. Anyone know what the top 2 cards are? Neither of these are the 87 Forestry Service Smokey that I added to the composite last summer. I think these are both samples we're missing from the registry. We should try to get samples of these submitted to PSA and added to the master set. Any info on these 2 specifically would be appreciated and I'll try to track em down. >>

• Options
    That's some good info Derek!!!

• Options
    I went for option 2, as well. It hasn't come up in any set that I'm actively pursuing, but it just seems fairer and more logical.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I will be on the lookout for some raw versions of the 2 afforementioned '87 cards and try to get something submitted soon. Anyone else submitted anything new recently that was the first version in the composite?

Derek- Now that you mention it, I do recall the 87 Smokey having a shirtail in/out variation. I didn't label my card that way when I submitted it, PSA must have already known there were 2 versions and which mine was. Good for them.

Joey- I totally agree on the 81 scratchoffs and all the stickercard variations as well. Those should stay in the registry b/c they were printed by Topps to be viewed that way.

Thanks,
    Michael

• Options
    Wow, Murphy was on page four, I must give him a little bump.

• Options
    FYI, Dale Murphy's rookie card was pictured on the cover of the very first Beckett Monthly Price guide.

The scan of his card also was signed by him
  • Options
    I have a 1987 Kraft Homplate Heroes Eddie Murray / Dale Murphy Panel graded PSA 7 for 15.00 delivered. Let me know if anyone wants it. Thanks
  • Options
    Members of the Murphy thread live by a series of unspoken rules (until now), and one of them is to never purchase any cards/memorabilia from anyone who fancies a Yankees or Mets-themed logo for their CU profile. I actually think I need that card for my registry set, but can't stand the thought of sending cash to a NY fan.

• Options
    I just read Joe's new thread where he basically says that option #1 is what PSA is going with. Despite the fact that 99% of the board had strong opinions in favor of #2, Joe is saying that PSA is going to allow the multiple stamp variations in the master set. I say horsesh*t. I'm wondering if there is a way to prevent this from ruining our master set by petitioning Cosetta/Joe to specifically remove the multiple all-star game stamp variations from our composite (that Lance has already added) and by demanding that none be added in the future. I love adding cards to the master set and monitoring what everyone else is adding, but I'm considering selling all my graded variations and oddball Murphys and just focus on the basic set if they don't fix this.

• Options

<< <i>Members of the Murphy thread live by a series of unspoken rules (until now), and one of them is to never purchase any cards/memorabilia from anyone who fancies a Yankees or Mets-themed logo for their CU profile. I actually think I need that card for my registry set, but can't stand the thought of sending cash to a NY fan. >>

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have not read this entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the Topps 1985 Aluminum replica of his 1977 card # 476. It was apparently issued as a fund raiser item for Huntington's disease research ( per the 2009 SCD Standard Catalog where it is pictured at page 1327). It is the same size as a standard card. It was originally sold for $ 10. I got one on ebay several years back
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    There are is at least one other card that was reproduce in metal. I know that there is a metal version of his 86 Topps card also. I do not currently own either one. At this point, I'm just trying to get all of his cardboard cards.

Anyone have any extra ungraded 88 or 89 Topps Stickercards of Murphy that they would like to trade.

I have about 3000 ungraded cards of Murphy and still looking for more.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There were several metal Murphys, aluminum, bronze and silver issued as part of the Topps Gallery of Champions sets, which were issued , as I recall, from 84 to 91 in cased sets of 12
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Ever since MLB began presenting a MVP award in 1911, only seven times has a player either won his leagues MVP award or led his league in homeruns in four straight years.

1) Frank Baker 1911-14, led the AL in HRs. His best year being 1913 when he tallied 12 round trippers

2) Babe Ruth 1918-1921, led the AL in HRs

3) Babe Ruth 1926-1931, led the Al in HRs

4) Ralph Kiner 1946-1952, led the NL in HRs

5) Mickey Mantle 1955-1958, led the AL in HRs in 55, 56,& 58; won the AL MVP in 56, 57

6) Dale Murphy 1982-1985, won the NL in 82, 83; led the NL in HRs in 84, 85

7) Barry Bonds 2001-2004, Won NL MVP; led NL in HRs in 01
  • Options
    I'm sure you've all read Joe's post by now regarding PSA's re-examination of the stamp/panel issue. I was very pleased to read this.

Regarding the Murphy master set, I've emailed Cosetta for the following certs to be deleted: E026000044, E026831541, E026000120, B290831341, B290831342. These are the duplicative all-star game stamps with Murphy stamp combined with 1, 2, or 3 other stamps. The important thing here is that the Murphy standalone stamp will remain for each year. Based on previous posts on this thread, I'm hoping no one will object.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm not a Murphy collector but I just got this back from PSA:

• Options
    Nice card(s). We don't have 87 Drake in the composite yet, you should add it.

By the way, got an email back from Cosetta today on the request for cert deletion saying they'd review and make necessary updates. I'm curious to see how its going to work. Are they going to just delete the certs with multiple stamps or panels OR are they going to consolidate the certs so that all of those cards (Murphy, Murphy/Henderson, Murphy/Henderson/Brett) would now just hold 1 spot in the composite? I guess either would be OK, but hope they go with the second option. For someone like CDNUTS, it would be a shame to make him go get another "Murphy only" 87 Drake. I think the either/or strategy will probably win out.

Thanks for sharing CDNUTS.

• Options
    No problem, although I feel necessary to share that I sold this card shortly after posting it to a Brett collector for a lofty sum. My goal was not to tease anybody or to make a sale here, I was just trying to share a PSA 10 Murphy you might not have seen.
  • Options
    Lee,

Sweet panel!! I would assume that you will have no problem selling that panel. Is this panel currently on Ebay?

This brings up another question. If PSA will grade the entire panel such as this, should the entire panel be on the master set as well as a individual card cut from the panel?

I'm of the opinion that it should, but not different combonations cut from the panel. What do you guys think?

Joey
  • Options

<< <i>Lee,

Sweet panel!! I would assume that you will have no problem selling that panel. Is this panel currently on Ebay?

This brings up another question. If PSA will grade the entire panel such as this, should the entire panel be on the master set as well as a individual card cut from the panel?

I'm of the opinion that it should, but not different combonations cut from the panel. What do you guys think?

Joey >>

The consensus opinion of the board is the variations can't be created by scissors, they can only be created by manufacturers. Since these panels are all handcut by collectors, these "by scissors" variations would not qualify as real variations. So, I think the direction that Joe will go is to say that you CDSNUTS panel would hold the same cert number in the registry as someone else who may have a graded example of Murphy only. Its an "either 1 or the other, but not both" strategy. You could include the Murf only or the panel in your master set, but not both, since they'd both have the same cert number (or something to that effect).

• Options
    Lee,

Joey

Yes, it was sold within a day of putting it up on ebay to a serious Brett collector.

As for the registry, what I suspect will be done is that the panel in its whole form will be included (like the one I sold) and the individual Murphy will also be included as a separate entry, just like they are now. The various combinations that can be created (Murphy/Brett, Murphy/Henderson, Murphy/Henderson/Brett and Murphy/Brett/Rice) will not be allowed on the registry (although PSA will still grade them). This would make the most sense because it was manufactured as a four-card panel.
  • Options

<< <i>Lee,

Joey

Yes, it was sold within a day of putting it up on ebay to a serious Brett collector.

As for the registry, what I suspect will be done is that the panel in its whole form will be included (like the one I sold) and the individual Murphy will also be included as a separate entry, just like they are now. The various combinations that can be created (Murphy/Brett, Murphy/Henderson, Murphy/Henderson/Brett and Murphy/Brett/Rice) will not be allowed on the registry (although PSA will still grade them). This would make the most sense because it was manufactured as a four-card panel. >>

Lee- I totally agree with you. My comments above were based on my belief that you had cut that 4 card panel from an uncut sheet. I wasn't aware that 87 Drake came from the manufacturer in 4 card panels, as you suggest. That being the case, then the 4 card panel should be the primary object to collect in the master set. The question for Joe will be whether or not to allow an individual cut Murphy card to be a separate item. I would argue that unless Drake also provided the individual cards, then no the individual Murphy should not be a separate item. It would be allowed in the registry, but not as a separate required cert#. It would be the either/or strategy that many have proposed. The obvious problem there is that the panels would be much tougher to find in 9/10 than any individual card would be. Perhaps only the panel, as provided by Drake, should be allowed.

• Options
    My next question is to Lee.

How did you cut this panel?

• Options
    My next question is to Lee. How did you cut this panel?

After seeing sale prices of these things, a lot of people have asked this question. I'm going to be kind of a tool here and not tell anyone my method. It took about 3 months of trying different tools and techniques and I finally worked it down to a system that works. I basically became obsessed with finding the perfect way to cut cards and I really don't feel like just giving away my very specific process. Let's just say that buying a particular paper cutter is not the correct answer (as I realized about $250 and 3 paper cutters later). It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out, but it does take a lot of trial and error.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a 1984 Nestle Braves Team Leader?

I have one and it has a green flag type blotch on the yellow banner where it has Dale's name. I was wondering if this was common on all the nestle cards.

It can be seen also on some of his regular Topps issues as well
  • Options
    I have 3 of the team leader cards and all 3 have the green spot on them.

<< <i>Does anyone have a 1984 Nestle Braves Team Leader?

I have one and it has a green flag type blotch on the yellow banner where it has Dale's name. I was wondering if this was common on all the nestle cards.

It can be seen also on some of his regular Topps issues as well >>

• Options
    I have seen regular Topps 84 Team Leader cards with the green flag and cards without the green flag.

would PSA consider these as two different variations?

It is obvious that it a print defect. I have some version where the green flag is barely visible.

• Options
    Does anyone have a 84 Tiffany Braves team leader that has the same green flag afore mentioned?
  • Options
    Both my Topps TL and my Topps Tiffany TL have the same green mark in the same spot. I would describe it as a short, horizontal green line that it is about 1/3 of an inch long and goes left to right beginning underneath and to the right of the ".302 BA" underneath Murphy. Trying to get my scanner fixed this afternoon and will post some pics if possible. Thanks for pointing out Joey, I wonder if PSA would recognize these as variations?

• Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if anyone posted this but Dale Murphy is signing at the Bob Feller Museum

Dale Murphy signing info
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Not sure if anyone posted this but Dale Murphy is signing at the Bob Feller Museum
    Dale Murphy signing info >>

Click on the above LINK and you will see Feller is charging $25/auto and Murphy either $30 or $35,
    depending upon if you are a member.
    I have the below 8 x 10 Autographed Photos. I will sell BOTH for $35.00 delivered. First PM gets them.

THANKS!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Sometime in the '80s my Dad & Mom took my brother and I to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA, just a 100 mile drive from our home. I was about 12 and my younger brother 9, and we were both giant baseball fans and baseball card collectors.

Dale Murphy was in Williamsport for the LLWS hoopla. My family got some insider information, and my photographer Dad used his press pass from our tiny hometown newspaper in upstate Pennsylvania to get us into the dining hall where Murphy was eating with his relatives. My brother and I got extremely nervous as we approached Dale Murphy while dining with his family as it was the only table in the large hall that was occupied.

Mr. Murphy totally let us interrupt his dinner, signed my little brother & I's baseball cards, and even engaged in conversation with our family, asking about what it's like where we're from in the rural Appalachian hardwoods of Potter County, Pennsylvania (Like he really cared).

As time wore on toward adulthood and I thought back to how nice he was to our family that day, I also had a growing realization that we were quite intrusive to he and his family. The more I came to appreciate what a nice, patient gentleman and baseball player Dale Murphy was on that day.

I just resumed collecting sports cards last year. Shortly thereon, I made sure to buy my PSA 9 Mint slabbed 1977 Topps Dale Murphy rookie card. The guy modestly occupying only the lower left one-quarter of that card is certainly a full person.
  • Options
    Great story, Weinhold. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone have a 84 Tiffany Braves team leader that has the same green flag afore mentioned? >>

Joey- I'm attaching the 84 TL from my registry set. As I mentioned earlier, they both have the green line. I'd be interested to know who has these 2 without the green mark and also which version is considered more rare.

• Options

I have three version of the regular Topps.

1) Clean
    2) Partial line at bottom and partial top of triangle
    3) Full triagle

All my Tiffany's have the full line at bottom. All my Nestle's have full triangle like #3.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    So this is caused by the cyan plate I'm assuming? Does it look like the flag is a continuation of the blue border?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Joey, Derek, others-

If you haven't read the thread on 90 Topps blackless Frank Thomas, its pretty fascinating. Through the experience with 90 Topps' sheets, Ross appears to be the CU house expert on printing errors. I PM'd him a few weeks back to get some advice on getting the Braves TL variations recognized. Ross, I'll let you provide any wisdom you have here, but wanted to pass along your message that PSA won't recognize the variation until they get printed in the standard card catalog first. Any other advice on what they'd need or best way to contact? As an aside, I believe Joey, who created this Murf thread, was the first to notice the variation.

Thanks-
    Michael