Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Dale Murphy Master/Basic Collector's Thread

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Anyone heard from Joey? No contact in a few months.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Do any of you guys know if Dale currently does TTM autographs? If so, does anyone have an address?

I opened a pack of '79 Topps a couple of weeks ago and pulled a nice (but OC) Murphy out. He was always my favorite player as a kid.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

<< <i>Do any of you guys know if Dale currently does TTM autographs? If so, does anyone have an address?

I opened a pack of '79 Topps a couple of weeks ago and pulled a nice (but OC) Murphy out. He was always my favorite player as a kid. >>

Yeah, the 79's are always O/C. I just responded to your original post on the Sports & Memorabilia forum with what I believe is best way to get in contact with him. Don't have a home address though.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Just wanted to see if anyone had seen the new Murphy website. Pretty cool!
    Michael
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Murph's official site >>

yeah, that site is only a couple weeks old....I heard him promoting it on XM's Baseball Channel

He has a Twitter account too

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    The site is incredible. Go to the picture gallery and he has all of his cards sorted by year.

• Options
    With regret, it has come to my attention that one of our fellow Murphy collectors has died in an automobile accident in Hawaii. Lance Miyashiro, aka Gungho1 on ebay, died November 19th returning home from work. He was hit head on by another driver who was going the wrong way on the highway (DUI suspected for other driver) in Wahiawa, HI. For those who knew Lance, he was a big-time Murphy fan and those were his only registries on PSA.

His master Murphy set was "Ultimate Dale Murphy Master Collection", which is still ranked #3 at 82% complete.

RIP Lance.

-McAdams

• Options
    I didn't know Lance but I've looked at that superb collection more than once. The Murphy Master is a huge undertaking and his is one of the best (winning the title in '08 and '09.)

I'm terribly sorry to read this and I regret that I never met him.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear this.

I sold a couple of cards to him last year. Seemed like a good guy.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Horrible news, just horrible.

I had many transactions with Lance. There was a period when Gungho won evey single Ebay auction. Had a few Pop1 cards (at that time) that I traded him for some of his doubles.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of his family and his loved ones.

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    Found an article with a photo Lance...very sad.

Lance
  • Options
    wow image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    Very sad to hear this. He had a great passion for Murphy cards and was always great to deal with.
  • Options
    Someone is trying to sell a 79 Topps psa 10 on ebay for......................wait for it......................$3,499.

• Options
    Hi there, I'm just wondering if you might have any info on a Dale Murphy 1977 Topps aluminum card? It is the exact card of his 1977 RC front and back. It is all a silver aluminum color with all black letters and "imposed?" players on it. It is serial #ed 1447. Any ideas on this card? I was just going through some older boxes and remembered/saw that I had this...

Thanks so much...
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone is trying to sell a 79 Topps psa 10 on ebay for......................wait for it......................$3,499. >>

Possibly the baseball card I want most in the world and I'm no stranger to overpaying...but $3500?? No way someone pulls the trigger on this price.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi there, I'm just wondering if you might have any info on a Dale Murphy 1977 Topps aluminum card? It is the exact card of his 1977 RC front and back. It is all a silver aluminum color with all black letters and "imposed?" players on it. It is serial #ed 1447. Any ideas on this card? I was just going through some older boxes and remembered/saw that I had this...

Thanks so much... >>

They come up from time to time on ebay. If memory serves me, they usually run $10 - $25. PSA won't accept that into the registry as a "card", which dimishes its value greatly IMO.

• Options

Had to say goodbye to some old friends this afternoon. The 87 Shirttail Out was the centerpiece of my collection for the last few years. Bought it raw off ebay back when I lived in NY from a trustworthy dealer and struck gold on the PSA sub. But alas, everything has a price, and today I got an email from the same guy who bought my 78 Coke psa10 and several other of my "gems" with an offer that was too good to pass up. The search for a replacement begins immediately....I've never seen another Shirttail Out that was better than a 6, but maybe one will surface. If you're at a show and see a raw copy in Nrmt or better condition, pull the trigger on it and I'll take it off your hands.

• Options
    Apologize for posting these pics in 2 forums, but wanted to share these recent pickups with my fellow Murphy collectors. I bid strong on the 78 and had a good feeling I'd get it, but was totally shocked to win the '77 also. Am now within spitting distance of finishing the basic set.

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Sweet cards mcadams. Wish I would have tried for his Saberhagen RC, but I am doing my annual home construction and have other priorities.

Also, I just looked over this thread for the first time and found it a nice read. Lots of great information on 80s baseball cards.

Good luck on your Murphy collections fellows. Murphy was one of the better ones, as many don't think he is HOF worthy, perhaps the HOF should consider...if it hasn't in the past....giving out an ambassador to baseball like award. TBS was for the most part nationwide in the 80s, everyone liked watching the Braves and Murphy playing.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    A couple of really nice cards there, Michael. Nice going.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great looking cards mcadams.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Mike,

Great pickups of Murph. Those are amazing!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps 1984 issue:

Aluminum...which for Tom Terrific fans is Munimula spelled backwards
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    It has been over a year since has seen in action. Time for a little bum age.

Request: Any pics of unopened material with Murphy showing.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Here is a 1977 Topps rack pack with John Bench on the front and a Dale Murphy RC on the back:

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Hello Murphy fans!
    I'm looking for a 1992 and 1993 Topps Base Murphy PSA 10 for a basic topps registry...purchase or trade. And could really use a 92 base Topps IP Auto on card...been looking for one of those for years.
    Ben
    email: bswhiten@gmail.com
  • Options
    I'm finally on the forums and have voted for you! image
  • Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jon. Yea I doubt any of my other friends will actually vote for it because it is tough to even get a sign on...wish PSA made it easier to vote.
  • Options
    miked211miked211 Posts: 17 ✭✭

Bump on a really old thread. Anyone around here still collect Murph?

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miked211 said:
    Bump on a really old thread. Anyone around here still collect Murph?

I do. I had a huge pc hit when I self subbed this.

Have a couple of nice 78s in grading but cannot for the life of me find a clean 1979

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

2 nice items..

Very tough !
    Nike display card....Great shape too.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this for sale on ebay. If anyone here is interested, I'll sell it off of ebay for $60.00+$3.50 shipping.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭

guy should be in the Hall of Fame, just because everyone loves him.

• Options

Being a two time NL MVP and one of the most dominant players of the '80's in the league also factors in.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I did not want to start a new thread with a question I had on Dale Murphy.

I saw that he has a 1977 and 1978 Topps card that that both signify "rookie." Two rookie cards in successive years? Which is his true rookie card? What is the explanation?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rookie card is the earliest card.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect Murph, but I grew up in Richmond, VA during the 80's when it seemed like Murphy was everyone's favorite player. This thread is great, reminds me of just how much I love 80's baseball cards.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭

looking for a 1984 Donruss PSA 10 if anyone is selling?????

• Options
    agragr Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Fairly scarce Topps B&B variation

• Options

@DeutscherGeist said:

I saw that he has a 1977 and 1978 Topps card that that both signify "rookie." Two rookie cards in successive years? Which is his true rookie card? What is the explanation?

MLB and the MLBPA came up with "Rookie Card" rules for the trading card industry around 2005/2006. So don't confuse the modern prospect and rookie card difference with Topps in 1977 and 1978. Simply, 1977 arrived first, that's his "true" rookie card.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:

1977 is one less than 1978, so...

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2023 3:21PM

Just got this back recently.. beauty

@picklepete said:
    2 nice items..

Very tough !
    Nike display card....Great shape too.

Update.. now auto / slabbed.
    Came out sweet.

• Options

Guess this thread is dead..
    Poor Dale, no HOF, or hobby love.
    Lol

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

While going through my older friends garage last night I came across 4 pages of Murphy cards from the 80s/90s. One of them is a KayBee Toys card that you can easily find on eBay. I forgot how many food, toy, and magazine company promotional cards were produced.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 11:05PM

Anyone who thinks he gets no hobby love hasn't watched what happens when one of his low pop PSA 10's shows up on eBay.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here have a 1984 Donruss Murphy PSA 10?