Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Dale Murphy Master/Basic Collector's Thread

Comments

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    FYI, last week a 1977 PSA 10 was sold on Ebay for 880.

Its good to see that Murph still carries a little value.

My newest Ebay purchase, 1983 Topps PSA 10. Won it off Ebay for $28 bucks. I have a feeling that 81 & 82 Topps will be way more than that if I'm ever to plug those two holes.

Ross, thanks for the imput. I have read your blackless 90 Topps thread before and found very interesting and informative.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Michael,

Congrats on your recent adds to your set. Adding 6 PSA 10's always helps out!

Joey
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    4SC has an '82 Donruss PSA 10 up. I haven't looked today but it was already a little over $50 after 3 bids with a few days left when I saw it last night.
  • Options
    I have no confirmation on as of yet, but it seems as if there maybe four different hologram variations in 1991 Upper Deck. I have searched my collection and I have none of these

The variations maybe as follows

1991 UD MLB: 1990 MLB holograms pattern of LARGE baseballs "Upper Deck" print). 1990-91 UD NHL holograms ( Crossed hockey stick pattern and "90-91 Upper Deck" print). 1991 UD MLB holograms ( "1991 Upper Deck" pattern ). 1992 UD MLB holograms ( Upper Deck "Diamond Logo" pattern ).

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

Do the hologram variations pertain to 91 UD in general, or specifically to the Murphy base card?

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    From my limited knowledge. all of which came from reading another thread on the board, is that the variation is with the hologram only. Upper Deck had different print runs and was using whatever hologram that they had handy.

I checked all of mine and all of the 91 Upper Deck had a hologram that was in the shape of a homeplate. There was no design brhind the words 'Upper Deck'.

The other three variations, if they exist, will be one of the other three holograms

1. 1990 Upper deck hologram.

2. 1990-91 UD NHL holograms ( Crossed hockey stick pattern and "90-91 Upper Deck" print).

3. 1992 UD MLB holograms ( Upper Deck "Diamond Logo" pattern ).

Some claim that Upper Deck reprinted many different times and this is the cause of the hologram variations.
  • Options
    Paging Raymond Boone

Paging Raymond Boone

Your collection is sweet.
    Many pop1 PSA 10s.

Sad news, I'm now #7
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Hi - I am interested in the 1981 Donruss Dale Murphy PSA 10 - please e-mail mikeppsych@hotmail.com with price delivered to FL - can I use PayPal or credit card to pay you? - thanks for anticipated prompt reply - Michael
  • Options
    Good luck on the 81 Donruss. I do not have that card graded yet. A PSA 10 will probably run 100+ based upon past sales. I believe that it is a fairly low pop. I believe around 4 0r 5 PSA 10s exist.

As opposed to 1983 Donruss where there are close to 60 PSA 10s graded, with about 10 perfect raw cards in my ungraded collection.
  • Options
    I can understand the discrepancy between '81 (with it's thin stock and general unpopularity as a set) and '83. What buffaloes me is why tere are so few PSA 10 '82 Donruss Murphs compared to '83s.
  • Options
    Regardless of the stock, 81, 82, and 83 Donruss were all pretty unattractive cards on the front, although the picture itself in 81 is quite striking. Interesting that Murphy's bat in the 81 has #5 on it in the picture. Wonder if he used someone else's bat all year or just a spring training goof?

Got a question about team sets- I am putting my Murphy master set on hold for a few months while I try to piece together a few Braves team sets. 91 Desert Shield is underway and I was planning on doing an 84 Donruss, but Cosetta says that Donruss team sets aren't allowed yet, only Topps and Bowman.. So, any ideas on some other great team sets?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Wasn't there an '84 D team set in the line to be added? I'm fairly sure I saw it a few weeks ago.

About the '81 D: that's Bob Horner's bat, so I'm guessing it was worthy of Murph's use and I'm pretty sure that photo was taken at Wrigley. There are a ton of cards in that set that were taken there or at old Comiskey Park.

All of my Braves team sets are from the '60's and '70's. I've considered starting some from later, most notably the early 80's teams that Torre managed and maybe the early '90's teams that started the run, but (especially in the latter case) there are not all that many graded commons floating around, so I worry that starting one would be something of a futile gesture.
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't there an '84 D team set in the line to be added? I'm fairly sure I saw it a few weeks ago.

About the '81 D: that's Bob Horner's bat, so I'm guessing it was worthy of Murph's use and I'm pretty sure that photo was taken at Wrigley. There are a ton of cards in that set that were taken there or at old Comiskey Park.

All of my Braves team sets are from the '60's and '70's. I've considered starting some from later, most notably the early 80's teams that Torre managed and maybe the early '90's teams that started the run, but (especially in the latter case) there are not all that many graded commons floating around, so I worry that starting one would be something of a futile gesture. >>

Interesting, thanks. I'm curious as to why lots of early 80's card photos would be taken at Wrigley or Comiskey? Was the Topps photographer in Chicago and just did it out of convenience as teams came through town?

Regarding the team sets, that is a dilemma for collectors my age. You've got some great 60's and 70's team sets and its well worth your time and money to search out PSA 9's and 10's from those years. But I'm 32 and never watched any of those Braves play. I find it hard to collect guys that I didn't watch so that leaves me with early 80's through the present. For the really dominant Braves teams of the mid- nineties, I have no idea which sets to shoot for. I'd like to get a 95 set in honor of the WS winners, but I understand your point about lack of graded material from those sets. Probably have to sub all of them myself.

Anyone on this thread who is familiar with mid-nineties Topps or Bowman, what is THE set from this era? Maybe parallels is the way to go instead of base.

• Options

<< <i> But I'm 32 and never watched any of those Braves play. >>

For the most part, neither did I. I caught the very end of the careers of some guys like Torre and Aaron, but most of the people I've actually watched were active from the late 70's onward.

I started watching the game regularly in '77 when I was 10 and the Braves in '79. I have planty of raw cards of guys from that era, and graded cards of guys like Chris Chambliss and Gary Matthews who I liked on those 80's teams. I just sort of despair at the idea of looking around for PSA 10 '83 Joe Cowleys and '80 Preston Hannas.
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't there an '84 D team set in the line to be added? I'm fairly sure I saw it a few weeks ago. >>

Cosetta said it got added to the cue by accident and they pulled it out at some point. Thats when I first emailed her b/c I thought it was removed from the cue b/c they had it set up. No such luck.

• Options
    Does anyone have a 1986 Sports Illustrated Dale Murphy?

There is a Lawernce Taylor thread on the set registry forum in which they have a graded card of LT from this series.
    The OP listed a checklist of the other 15 cards and says that Dale Murphy is part of this series.
  • Options
    So far all I know about the sporys Illustarated is that it is a test sticker issue. It looks just like the popular posters that SI put out in the mid 80's. I'm looking all around for one of these
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

This thread is seriously lacking scans.image
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Terry, why must you continue to tease the thread with your tough to find Murphys, in 10 nonetheless?

Did you ever get your 1987 Atl. Braves Team Smokey the Bear Fire Safety card graded? Remember I have first dibs if you decide to sell it. After much searching, I have still been unable to find even 1 for sale anywhere. It is approaching White Whale status..

-Michael

• Options
    Smokey goes in for grading when PSA decides to run a decent Tall Boy / Super Size special.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

What no congrats on the hunter puddy?????? Nice 86 opc....
  • Options
    I subbed a 86 OPC in the last sub and got a N6.

Sweet 10 DPud, I'm seriously jealous!
  • Options

<< <i>Smokey goes in for grading when PSA decides to run a decent Tall Boy / Super Size special. >>

Just save your money, sell it to me raw, and let me handle the grading fees. Its one of those rare Win-Win situations :>

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone have a 1986 Sports Illustrated Dale Murphy?

There is a Lawernce Taylor thread on the set registry forum in which they have a graded card of LT from this series.
    The OP listed a checklist of the other 15 cards and says that Dale Murphy is part of this series. >>

I'm guessing we don't know which issue the Murphy card was in, we only know it was sometime in 86?

• Options
    Joey- At the risk of revealing some OCD tendencies, I invested about 2 hours tonight researching the yet to be seen, mythical, SI Dale Murphy card and this is what I've determined so far:

1. They were issued in a sticker format to promote the 1986 Sports Illustrated posters.
    2. The cards are twice the size of a normal baseball card
    3. One dealer told me that they have a sticky film on the back, although this may just be 1 instance where the sticker back is missing.
    4. They were not released for sale to the hobby, but were given away to stores to promote the SI posters.
    5. There are 20 players known so far in the "set"

Unconfirmed set checklist for 19 of the 20 (not sure who last player is): Dale Murphy, Ozzie Smith, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter, Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Don Mattingly, Eric Davis, Wade Boggs, Kirby Puckett, Roger Clemens, Herschel Walker, Lawrence Taylor, John Elway, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkens.

I wanted to also mention 1 dealer specifically named Phil on Ebay. He provided some very useful data on the stickers and he is also the only dealer on Ebay selling the stuff. His prices are high so beware. Do an Ebay search for "1986 ozzie smith Sports sticker" and you'll find him. He has no Murphys and if he did, I would have bought them before sharing any of this info. Good luck :>

-Michael

• Options
    If you still want to sell the 78 Coke Murphy in PSA 8 grade for $25 delivered please e-mail me at mikeppsych@hotmail.com - Michael
  • Options

<< <i>If you still want to sell the 78 Coke Murphy in PSA 8 grade for $25 delivered please e-mail me at mikeppsych@hotmail.com - Michael >>

I sold it on Ebay a few weeks ago.

-Michael

• Options
    Thanks for quick reply on 78 Coke in PSA 8 grade - never got a response from person selling 81 Donruss in PSA 10 grade - Michael
  • Options
    On page 3, had to bump to the top.
  • Options
    image[/IMG]

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Fixed linkimage
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

• Options
    Got the scanner out tonight and trying to get more stuff uploaded to the psa registry. While I was at it, thought I'd drop a few Murphy's on the thread. Thanks for the fixing the previous link Puddy.

-Michael

• Options
    I want
    I want
    I want.

The Al Oliver sticker that isimage

That's a sweet "Shirttail out".
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    The Police cards have always been some of my favorite Murphy cards from the 80's. I sold an extra 86 to Ray Boone (the new entrant on the master set with a steller Murphy collection) last night and thats what caused me to dig everything out of the closet. Now the living room is a total mess and my wife is not happy with me.

• Options

<< <i>The Police cards have always been some of my favorite Murphy cards from the 80's. >>

Clean, clear photos of Murph in those beautiful home unis, posing at our beloved Big Blue. They look so much better than the lazy crap that Topps and Donruss stuck us with for Murphy cards year after year in that era.
  • Options
    Dropped 15 Tall boys, and 18 Super Sized in the mail today. I hadn't even noticed that the Oct. special was $6/card for Talls and Supers.

Included are two Murphy 87 Braves Smokey, and one "Shirttail in" U.S. Forestry service card. I also sent in an 84 Topps Super that looks nice.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>Dropped 15 Tall boys, and 18 Super Sized in the mail today. I hadn't even noticed that the Oct. special was $6/card for Talls and Supers.

Included are two Murphy 87 Braves Smokey, and one "Shirttail in" U.S. Forestry service card. I also sent in an 84 Topps Super that looks nice. >>

Terry- Are you on the Murphy registry or are you planning to sell these? I've found the 84 Topps Super to be pretty tough. I bought a few unopened boxes of those a while back and I pulled 8 or 9 Murphys, none of which was in good enough condition to grade. I was hoping to get a graded set of the Supers, but they were mostly all dinged up or had odd cutting marks on the bottoms of the card.

• Options
    Topps Supers are some of the toughest cards out there. The machine that crimped the packs often hit the cards as well. Or they would be OC, or they would have dinged corners, or surfaces wrinkles, or nicked edges, or surface bumps, etc etc etc. I sent in a Murphy and a Ryan from about 5 boxes. They will probably both end up with bad grades, but I thought I'd give them a shot. They look nice, but I've heard that they grade the Supers pretty tough.

I'm not starting the Murphy registry, at least not the Master set. I've got enough sets going.
    Everything that I have or end up with will be for sale. If you guys want to give me an offer on the Starting Lineup 10 or the 86 OPC 10 before I put them on Ebay, just drop me a PM.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>Topps Supers are some of the toughest cards out there. The machine that crimped the packs often hit the cards as well. Or they would be OC, or they would have dinged corners, or surfaces wrinkles, or nicked edges, or surface bumps, etc etc etc. I sent in a Murphy and a Ryan from about 5 boxes. They will probably both end up with bad grades, but I thought I'd give them a shot. They look nice, but I've heard that they grade the Supers pretty tough.

I'm not starting the Murphy registry, at least not the Master set. I've got enough sets going.
    Everything that I have or end up with will be for sale. If you guys want to give me an offer on the Starting Lineup 10 or the 86 OPC 10 before I put them on Ebay, just drop me a PM. >>

The machine that crimps the packs. Whatever that thing is, its no joke. 1/3 of my packs had at least 1 card with that crimp mark on the bottom of the card. Some packs, every single card in the pack has the mark. Its terrible.

• Options
    Does anyone know if PSA is now grading 1984 Nestle cards?
  • Options
    Almost HOF voting time. Anyone want to guess what % Murphy gets this year.
  • Options
    Somewhere around 10%. It's beyond ridiculous. He had a decade long dominant run in the 1980's, even with the decline in last couple of years. I've always heard that listed as a signpost to election.

His numbers look small only in comparison to some of the 'roided up bozos who came after him. He, and several other men of his generation, belong.
  • Options
    Guys, there is a huge PSA collection of 80 Dale Murphy cards on Ebay right now. I would be on this like white on rice if my wife had just not started back to college. It got some duplicates in it, but it is still the largest lot of Murphy cards that I have seen for sale at once.

I kinda drooled on my computer last night when I saw it. The sad part is, if I were to win that one, I probably wouldn't move up a spot on the registery. Is anyone here bidding on it? If so, I would be interested in some of the duplicates.
  • Options

"Shoot...a fella could start himself a pretty good Murphy Master Set with alla' that stuff!"

• Options
    Guys, we need to give JacksonCoupage a big tip of the hat. If you haven't already, check out his thread on errors he posted on the sports memorabilia forum. He has found many Dale Murphy variations. There are many variations of 1988 Topps Big that he has documented.

You the man Jackson, keep up the good work.
  • Options
    I read the entire Error blog today. It's a great read.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once he had his mole removed, it was all downhill.

From 82 to 87, he was the best player in the league, IMO. And the team he was on, except for the 82 club, was rough. Horner was too much of a hacker to give him protection in the line-up.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    The '83 team was every bit as good as the '82 division winners and the '80 team is underrated.

It's splitting hairs, I know, but it's true.