Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The OFFICIAL 2009 Topps Heritage Thread

I have colleted this for 8 years now but have never started an official thread. Last years was started in June, so we are getting a late start. I thought
08 update was strong and Im hoping that will continue in 2009. Will we get real one autos of McCovey, Yaz and Frank Howard? Anyone have an
expertise in the 1960 set? Its less than three months now, lets get going!

Kevin

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait. Wonder what the box toppers will be? I loved the panels this year.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Is there a scheduled release date?
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Feb 27th is usually the target date.

Kevin
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    What are these cards that you speak of?

I might have to pick up a pack of them

I like cards

<< <i>What are these cards that you speak of?

I might have to pick up a pack of them

I like cards >>

hooked.

When is Nick going to show up and say.....Im still out.....to only show up 2 minutes later and say he is in! LOL
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm never out for REAL heritage Kevin.

image >>

I'd say that we're definitely gonna get a Jim Kaat real one auto in the 2009 set since they made a fake 1959 card (his first card was 1960) for him in the heritage high set.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say that we're definitely gonna get a Jim Kaat real one auto in the 2009 set since they made a fake 1959 card (his first card was 1960) for him in the heritage high set. >>

Or consider the fact that Maury Wills has a ROA in the high numbers, yet didn't officially appear on a Topps card until 1967.

Also, is this really the best picture Topps could come up with? The washed out look they "perfected" for '06 Heritage has got to go.
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Hi Nick!
    IWTDMBII
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I believe 1960 was another year of grey back/white back variations.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
    Hi Whammy.......although since the 59's are gone, can you still be Whammy? I'll have to find a nice 1960 nick name for you for the next 12 months. Pumpsie perhaps. image Pumpsie Norton
  • KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Has Koufax done any Heritage auto's yet? I don't recall seeing any.
    Isn't Koufax signed to Upper Deck? Too bad.
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the only autos Koufax has done recently have been with Upper Deck, and very few of them. A Koufax Heritage real one would easily be a $500-700 card, probably $1k for the red ink.
  • I LOVE how this set comes out right around my birthday every year!!! Can't wait!
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I thought Upper Deck bought Topps. If so, Koufax could be possible.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Nick, not bad, but there are others to consider:

Smoky (a little tame)
    Rip Repulski (might just have to go with this one)
    Bubba
    Faye (don't you dare)
    Dutch (a little dated)
    Chico
    Rocky (pretty common)
    Cookie (might be just a tad bit, uh, no other way to put it, gay)
    Reno

At the stroke of midnight, Dec. 31, 2008, I will become....
    IWTDMBII
    I've got it narrowed down to Dutch, Whitey, Cookie, Rocky, Pumpsie, Sandy, Tito, Casey, Red, Rip, Smoky, and Duke.

Leaning towards Cookie, Tito, or Pumpsie.
    Koufax will not be in heritage, too bad, but a fact, UD owns him and never signs much for them either.

McCovey and Yaz are both in bad shape. I contacted Mr. Luraschi about the possibility of featuring the Phillies this year, but he didn't leak anything. They already
    used the Pirates last year, even though they were in the WS in 1960. Dick Groat might make another appearance. Too bad Maris won't be there. I love
    the pics, keep them coming!

Kevin
    New Info out...they also have a slide show over at beckett, but I couldn't add it here.

Here’s the breakdown on 2009 Topps Heritage as released by Topps on Friday afternoon. The set will hit hobby shops the last week of February.

HIGHLIGHTS
    – 500 stars of today and yesterday on the classic 1960 Topps Baseball design
    – On-Card Autographs and Relics from 1960 legends and today’s stars
    – One Autograph or Relic card per box
    – Gum in every pack

DESCRIPTION SRP: $3 per pack
    Insertion rates are based on estimated production levels, which may vary from the actual insertion rates to be published on product packaging.

BASE CARDS (500)
    – 425 Rookies, veterans, legends
    – 75 Short-prints (1:3 Packs)

CHROME PARALLELS
    – Black-Bordered /50
    – Refractor /560
    – Chrome /1,960

INSERTS
    – New Age Performers
    – Then and Now
    – Baseball Flashbacks
    – News Flashbacks

AUTOGRAPHS
    – Real One
    – Real One Special Edition (Red Ink) /60
    – Real One Dual Autographs /25
    – Flashbacks /25
    – 1960 Cut Signatures 1/1

AUTOGRAPHED RELICS
    – Flashback Stadium Relics /25
    – Clubhouse Collection Relics /25
    – NEW! Clubhouse Collection Dual /10

RELICS
    – Clubhouse Collection
    – Clubhouse Collection Dual /60
    – Flashbacks
    – Dual Flashbacks /10

HOBBY BOX LOADERS
    – Advertising Panels one per box
    – 1960 Topps Originals 1:2 boxes

• BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Kevin- Glad to see that you got the honors this year of starting the thread....you're a Heritage HOF'er!!

Every year I tell myself that I'm going to skip Heritage and I end up buying packs anyways. I really hope they clear up the photography this year. Still not sure if I'm going to collect this issue as Allen & Ginter has been a superior product (and far more interesting) over the past couple of years.

Here is a link to the 2009 Heritage slideshow....as you will see they went all out on the design of the Mantle cut.

2009 Topps Heritage Slideshow
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    There may be another thread on this already and don't want to infringe on the 09 mania but I just saw an advertisement for "Hi number" Heritage for the 08 cards. Numbers went out to about 720 is I remember correctly....now wouldn't this be a deviation from the Heritage scheme of things???? I don't remember a 729 card set from back in 1959.....????? Is this just a way to get out money??

I just noticed that the players name on the front are in two colors, which accent the darker letters...was this the case for all of the 1960 cards? If so, wouldn't you
    think that the dark letters would sometimes spell out something not that nice?

Kevin
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the checklist on excel for 2009 if anyone is interested, just pm and I will email it to you. I am also taking preorders on cases and boxes for 2009 Topps Heritage baseball.
    made the commitment for my case today. February 23 can't come soon enough now. Thanks Joe!
    I just got the checklist from Stoney...Thanks!

Anyone see the auto checklist? About 15 no namers! I hope this is a works in progress, there are also a bunch of dual autos, which I like, but besides Ryan Howard
    I didn't know any of them. I have to say after Update, this is a disappointment. Im hoping this set gets bigger and better!

Kevin

• << <i>I just got the checklist from Stoney...Thanks!

Anyone see the auto checklist? About 15 no namers! I hope this is a works in progress, there are also a bunch of dual autos, which I like, but besides Ryan Howard
    I didn't know any of them. I have to say after Update, this is a disappointment. Im hoping this set gets bigger and better!

Kevin >>

Just saw the checklist for the first time.

I agree on the auto checklist. Bobby Thomson is the only big name old timer. Other than him, they've really relied on the young guys......Justin Masterson, Mat Gamel, Clayton Kershaw and Jay Bruce. The clubhouse collection dual relics should be really nice though. ARod/Maris, Pujols/Musial, Ortiz/Williams, Soriano/Banks and Bruce/Frank Robinson.

The David Price rookie chrome/refractor parallels will probably be ON FIRE.
  • Please post any prices for pre-sell 2009 Heritage cases. One recommendation, do not make the same mistake I did and buy from svu18. Completely put me in a foul mood for three months until I finally got a refund. By then, I was so far behind the game that I missed out on trading with this great group!

COMPLETE YOUR TOPPS HERITAGE HIGH NUMBERS SET HERE!!!

Craig in Texas
  • Hello everyone. I was on here 2 years ago putting a set together for my son and a lot of people helped me out in trades. I'm having another boy this year and I'm back in the game for a set this year.

I'm only interested in the base set, variations, and short prints. Any GU or autographs would be a bonus.

What would be the least expensive method to put this set together? I'm considering buying 2 or 3 boxes and trying to trade. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim
  • bjbrall4bjbrall4 Posts: 277 ✭✭
    Please post any prices for pre-sell 2009 Heritage cases.

I just ordered two cases at $625 per case, including postage. My supplier says he was told that there would be TWO series this year (February and May) as well as an update set in late fall. Anyone else hear about this?

Still trying to finish my set of high number panels (need 22) and refractors (need 15). Have duplicates for trade.Text Text
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I'm only interested in the base set, variations, and short prints. Any GU or autographs would be a bonus.

What would be the least expensive method to put this set together? I'm considering buying 2 or 3 boxes and trying to trade. Does anyone here have any suggestions?
    >>

Least expensive method: wait 3-4 months after release date, and buy a set on Ebay then.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

<< <i>Please post any prices for pre-sell 2009 Heritage cases.

I just ordered two cases at $625 per case, including postage. My supplier says he was told that there would be TWO series this year (February and May) as well as an update set in late fall. Anyone else hear about this?

Still trying to finish my set of high number panels (need 22) and refractors (need 15). Have duplicates for trade.Text Text >>

Ill contact Clay at topps on this info, this could be big!

Kevin
    I just got an email from Clay at Topps. He told me that 2009 Heritage will be just as 2008, a 1st series (500 cards) followed by an update set much later
    in the year. He also told me that the autograph checklist will be bigger than it has been in the past and that the early checklist is just that, early. Looks
    like 2009 is going to be great...any 1960 Topps experts?

Kevin
    Looks like my supplier in Chicago was just blowing smoke. Now I wonder about the two cases I ordered; I guess I'll see in seven weeks, when Heritage should be released.
  • Thank you for the information Kevin! I am so glad to hear that the checklist for the autos was a works in progress!

Craig in Texas
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Kevin. I'm hoping I'm able to hit the 2009's much better than the previous year.

Brian

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I got an order in today with the dealer near my office, $625 for a case.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    For the 2009 Hi Number update set, did Clay at Topps give any hints to doing away with what didn't work in 2008 (mainly: including the regular issue update series) maybe replace it with two autos or relics per box. ;-)

It would be great if they considered the collector instead of the bottom line.

I'm really looking forward to the 2009 set (I'm a big fan of Topps cards from the sixties)

I hope they keep the gimics to a minimum.

<< <i>For the 2009 Hi Number update set, did Clay at Topps give any hints to doing away with what didn't work in 2008 (mainly: including the regular issue update series) maybe replace it with two autos or relics per box. ;-)

It would be great if they considered the collector instead of the bottom line.

I'm really looking forward to the 2009 set (I'm a big fan of Topps cards from the sixties)

I hope they keep the gimics to a minimum. >>

Or at least include a full pack of 8 Heritage cards and then they can throw in 2 leftovers.
    I am to believe that the update was put in with heritage so that topps could produce one extra product in the year. I am hoping that they scale
    down the print run in 2009. Black refractors should be several a case, not one in two cases!

Kevin
  • Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the Heritage High Number replacing the either the 52 Rookies or the Bowman Heritage?
    Topps put a 2009 Topps Heritage video on youtube. Not really any new info, but I didn't realize Topps did youtube videos:

2009 Topps Heritage Youtube Video
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Topps using YouTube. This should be a great set. Lots of SPs, I guess that's both good and bad. Took me til December to get the last 08 SP I needed!

"Molon Labe"

• Anyone ever buy boxes from dacardworld? I used lrcards last year but da has them cheaper this year.

Tim
    I just checked dacardworld, and they are only $3 lower than LRCards per box, but LR offers free shipping over $50 and dacardworld only has free shipping on Thursdays (and you have to order $75 minimum from dacardworld).

Also, dacardworld is $115 higher on a full case.

Edited to add: If you buy 2 or 3 boxes from LRCards that are only $63 each, and if you buy 4 or more they are only $60 each.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    someone post a link to the cheapest/most reliable place for a case of these. Just in case I get weak.image
  • Since the 1960 Topps baseball had grey/white/cream colored backs, I am assuming that 2009 Topps Heritage will have the same variations. Does anyone know what variations are going to be in 2009 Topps Heritage for sure?
    Topps never seems to acknowledge the diversity of back of the card background colors/shades. It will probably be the contributors to this thread who put together the definitive checklist.