Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3,551 coins made!image
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Hey guy's, I had a order @ the mint for a few more coins & they were cancelled. What are you hearing ?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey guy's, I had a order @ the mint for a few more coins & they were cancelled. What are you hearing ? >>

every time you post i hear Neil Young singing..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Hey guy's, I had a order @ the mint for a few more coins & they were cancelled. What are you hearing ?

What reason did they give......?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey guy's, I had a order @ the mint for a few more coins & they were cancelled. What are you hearing ? >>

every time you post i hear Neil Young singing.. >>

I can't wait to see Nixon on a coin. I'm not a crook. ( peace sign in hand ) image
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>

every time you post i hear Neil Young singing.. >>

Now you got me doing it.... 4 dead in O HIGH O......
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guy's, I had a order @ the mint for a few more coins & they were cancelled. What are you hearing ?

What reason did they give......? >>

Line was cancelled. I have not called as of yet.
  • Options
    tLine was cancelled. I have not called as of yet.

Maybe they ran out........image
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

*Am I the only one that sees these as a bunch of numbers all jarbled up, can't make heads or tails here?*

No Casman, that's all I see too.

So for those of us who are more visually oriented...

Edited: Only 197 70's total from PCGS so far!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    And ATS current pops...

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks lope208, for the current update.

Interesting that 13,620 are slabbed between the two.

Must be a boxes of this variety just sitting in basements.

Then again, no one knows with any clarity. how many escaped the Mint.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There are no 47,000, that's for sure!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Assume eBay activity represents a snapshot of the 2008 rev 2007 population.
    The current eBay activity according to jsf is:
    163 auctions
    -69 55/163 33.7%
    -70 42/163 25.8
    Other 66/163 40.5

13620 have been slabbed. That would leave 9267 as raw and a total of 22887 using the eBay ratios.
    There would also be an unknown number of coins waiting to be slabbed. Would 20% (2724) of those already slabbed be a good guess?
    This would result in a total population of 25611. The rest would have been pulled off the shelves at the mint and not shipped or hiding out in basements.....
    This is not a defensible position, only musing and a bit of wishful thinking.

KP

• Options
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    image, and THx for those charts...
  • Options
    Thank you lope208 & gemstatecoins for the PCGS updates. I will post new 07 rev stats as soon as I get the mint production numbers that are after 6/3/08. Stand by... image
  • Options
    doorman292 welcome!

Go Nanney, go Nanney!

R
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    The sealed box of five I was waiting for grades on, finally got graded:

1 1 12124842 393058 2008-W $1 Eagle US MS69
    1 2 12124843 393058 2008-W $1 Eagle US MS69
    1 3 12124844 393058 2008-W $1 Eagle US MS70
    1 4 12124845 393058 2008-W $1 Eagle US MS69
    1 5 12124846 393058 2008-W $1 Eagle US MS69

I never thought I'd ever be so disappointed with an MS70!

I think I've been ruined...................image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    Lets keep the data as complete as possible, just off the NGC pop report:

2008 W rev 2007 MS68 2 MS69 2257 MS70 2352

2008 W rev 2007 MS68 1 MS69 3756 MS70 3090
    Early Release

Total coins = 11,458 graded
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It may have already been mentioned here but Coin World this month has a couple of ads from dealers offering to buy raw 08/07's for $600.00, which is better realized price than e-bay. >>

Can someone share who's offering?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks lope208, for the current update.

Interesting that 13,620 are slabbed between the two.

Must be a boxes of this variety just sitting in basements.

Then again, no one knows with any clarity. how many escaped the Mint. >>

Scott,
    there are also a fair number still being kept/sold as raw. Not everyone is sending them in for cert.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    << It may have already been mentioned here but Coin World this month has a couple of ads from dealers offering to buy raw 08/07's for $600.00, which is better realized price than e-bay. >>

In Coin World: www.coastcoin.com Offering $600.00
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    << It may have already been mentioned here but Coin World this month has a couple of ads from dealers offering to buy raw 08/07's for $600.00, which is better realized price than e-bay. >>

I second this......who IS offering? I checked both NN and CW and couldnt find any. Hell, I'll crack out my NGC brownies, put them in OGP from my '08/'08's, and be happy.
  • Options
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    I've been to their site (Coast to Coast) and can't find any mention of the purchase. I did find they are selling the varieties for $675, so the $600 buy makes sense if they're really moving a lot of coins.

I'll call them later today and report what I find...I'll likely sell my 3 to them as I could use the $$ (I know, I'm gonna hate myself in the morning, and probably LOATHE myself in a year or two!).
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the likely to be many or any of these in TPG holders that have not been properly attributed?
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    172 auctions
    -69 65/172 37.8%
    -70 48/172 27.9
    Other 59/172 34.3
  • Options
    I called, and Coast to Coast Coins are buying @$600 ea, but they are "filled up" for now. The nice buyer did say to check back weekly. Wouldn't take my name, though, but it's a legit offer. BTW: I did not receive the mags so I was only acting on info from this forum...so I'm not sure of the ads.

Does anyone have a copy where they could check for the other co wanting to buy?

Thanks!
  • Options
    That's not a legit offer, unless they actually give you $600 for one. I hear that B.S. all the time from other jewelers. A customer comes in and says "XXX down the street offered $5000 for this diamond" and I say "That's a great offer and much higher than I would buy it for so you should go back there and take it" then they say "Well XXX is remodeling/has one just like it/other lame excuse so he can't buy it right now but said it's worth $5000". It may be a ploy to drive up the price so he can sell his own stock at a high price.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    OK.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Hi, Clouise.

Yeah, I figured as much (it sure got me to call them!), but was worth the try. I gotta say, though, I'm still feeling these coins have a way to go, so $600 may be cheap in a few years. I like Erik says about the $1500 potential...it's probably about right.

I also find it interesting to note his point about the retrace after the first year peak...if that's so, perhaps I'll be in a better financial situation then and can re-buy. Anyway, off to Ebay to sell (or perhaps the BST).

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can one of you verifyif this sums up this thread ? I was trying to help another person understand. image
  • Options

<< <i>Can one of you verifyif this sums up this thread ? I was trying to help another person understand. image >>

yes, very good.
  • Options
    No I dont think it sums it up.

When I was at baltimore I did talk to a few people that knew about these coins.

From what they have heard since coinworld and nn may be calling this a variety. They may be adding it to the registry.

I sent some in at the show and received yesterday that they arrived in cali. Not too bad 3 days. For free at that I didn't have to pay for shipping.

But I did pay for the grading and return shipping. I even considered flying to cali for a vacation and pick them up while I was there. Still not over that yet.

• Options

<< <i>Can one of you verifyif this sums up this thread ? I was trying to help another person understand. image >>

Heehee! I LOVE getting 500x face! Now, if I can figure out how to do that with Platinum, I'd be set!!

BTW: Anyone know when HSN (or whatever the TV show is) will be on tonight pushing these?
  • Options
    Ok...here's the deal: the 08/08 and 08/07 together from ANACS SP70....drum roll...$1895!!! Frick, I gotta get in with their marketing team...
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

Heehee! I LOVE getting 500x face! Now, if I can figure out how to do that with Platinum, I'd be set!!

BTW: Anyone know when HSN (or whatever the TV show is) will be on tonight pushing these? >>

how about 1300x or 1900x face?..

none listed on shopnbc.com but on HSC i found these:

ANACS 69 pair 08/07 and 08/08 $1299.95

ANACS 70 pair 08/07 and 08/08 $1899.95

so throw away the AMOS Advantage wooden case, toss the 08/08 in the corner.. can i get $1000.00 plus for NGC MS69 08/07s on eBay now please?..

and in case you ever wondered how the CEO of HSN could afford a $30 million custom-built home.. you can stop wondering..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    where did HSN say the discoverer of the ASE error is from? Ohio?

hh, did you move?!
  • Options
    They briefly made reference to the discovery of this as... some guy in Ohio saying hey look at this..........................

John Nanney...you still suck, thank you

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can throw out the HSN price. That's not an accurate assessment of FMV.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are no 47,000, that's for sure! >>

I'm confident that a lot of people have these coins but don't know it.

Last Friday I overheard a co-worker taliking about investing in silver. He mentioned that he had recently purchased 50 2008 w UNC ASEs. I told him about the errors. He had neve heard of them before. He checked, found 28 of 50 to be '08 w/rev of '07. I explained the TPGs to him, etc. I took him to the Balto. show with me so that he could join PCGS and submit the coins. Instead, he gave one to me as a token of his appreciation for telling him about them, kept 4 and sold the rest raw to a dealer for $500/each.

Had I not told him of this he never would have known. Like many buyers of these coins, he looked at them simply as bullion and does not otherwise follow coins.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story Raufus. heres the thing, if folks have them and they are locked away unknowing it still makes for less supply. And when they are discovered and they come out in small batches over time, this makes for more great stories and fuels more interest.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great story Raufus. heres the thing, if folks have them and they are locked away unknowing it still makes for less supply. And when they are discovered and they come out in small batches over time, this makes for more great stories and fuels more interest. >>

Great point! Should make for a very interesting future for this coin.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Nearly 3,600 made to date.

Rimage
  • Options
    $1,300 for ANACS 69 (big whoop, they include an '08/'08)??????? Thats highway robbery! I understand they arent pointing guns to the heads of the buyers, and 'buyer beware', etc.....but damn!! I wonder what they'd be charging for PCGS First Strike.
  • Options
    One other thing, in regard to Coast to Coast's alleged 'offer'. I agree with clouisejewelers 100%. Why on earth wouldnt they be trying to buy up every one on ebay for under $600????? Just another scumbag ploy from a scumbag CW advertiser. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can stir the pot for one measly coin. They offered them at $495 in the June 10th issue of NN, mailed on May 30.

disclaimer: Not EVERY advertiser in CW, NN, etc, are scumbags. There ARE some GREAT people who advertise in these mags.
  • Options
    Time to bring this baby back up. Any new discoveries?
  • Options
    Well 3600!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file