Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I sent my best 6 to PCGS.Two of them where dead ringers for 70 in my opinion.All came back 69's.image >>

I sent my 4 best to PCGS and one came back 70. They were flawless IMO.
    They must have bionic eyes.

I think I will pull the handle again and resubmit the other 3...
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I shipped 21 coins off to NGC today...I'm hoping for LOTS of 70's image

-Paul
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I shipped 21 coins off to NGC today...I'm hoping for LOTS of 70's image

-Paul >>

Good luck Paul,

I sent a total of 10 (5-3-2) to NGC with 7 graded 70.
    I have another 5 I just sent in.

Joe
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember that! It kinda pissed me off I believe it was 30 ms70s!!!!!

Jeff >>

I remember also. There were a total of 99 submitted I think. Seems like it was 16 that graded PCGS MS70 FS. Poor guy.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    I sent my 4 best to PCGS and one came back 70. They were flawless IMO.

I think they are using an electron microscope on these coins.image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I picked over 12 and only got 1- 70.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS also grades the reeded edges for flaws on PCGS MS/PR 70 grades. NGC doesn't grade the reeded edges for flaws on the NGC MS/PR 70 grade.
    If you don't grade the reeded edge, getting a PCGS MS70 is a crap shoot.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent my 4 best to PCGS and one came back 70. They were flawless IMO.

I think they are using an electron microscope on these coins.image >>

I don't think so friend!

Of the 10 08/08's I got from my subscription, I was only able to pick out three for grading. Of the three, I didn't feel any of them could get a 70.

One of them did come back a 70! image

What should I do? Agree with the grader or send it back for the grading guarantee?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't think so friend!

Of the 10 08/08's I got from my subscription, I was only able to pick out three for grading. Of the three, I didn't feel any of them could get a 70.

What should I do? Agree with the grader or send it back for the grading guarantee? >>

I would say count your blessings. It usually works the other way around.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think so friend!

What should I do? Agree with the grader or send it back for the grading guarantee? >>

I would say count your blessings. It usually works the other way around. >>

I am definitely counting. Definitely! Yes def-def-definitey!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    NOT TO STEAL A PIC JUST USED IT AS EXAMPLE AS WELL..
    THERE ARE QUITE A FEW DIFFERENCES....

-PAUL

P.S. SORRY IF ALREADY MENTIONED DID NOT READ TO FAR GOT STUCK ON THE EYE CANDY <--CAPS KEY BROKE SORRY
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any reports of any '08 w/'07 rev. ASEs from recent mint orders?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    None what-so-ever!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>None what-so-ever! >>

i don't think there have been any reports here for about two weeks of any 08/07s showing up in orders placed after the first week of May.. that's why when i returned four 08/08s to the Mint yesterday, (before taping the boxes back up, i checked once again in case i had been in stupid mode when i first opened them.. just to check to make sure they all had the foot on the "U" in United.. as if they'd magically morph into non-footed "U"s.. uh--huh..

i selected "refund" and not "replacement".. the well has run dry and i decided that if i did ask for replacements, i'd just get the same thing again and end up returning them again, paying yet more Postage.. i don't think there are any more 08/07s lurking in the bins in Memphis.. i mean, who knows, but it sure doesn't seem like it.. based on the lack of any new scores here..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, i took two sealed boxes of 08 burnished ASE's to the Baltimore show today. One box was my subscription order and the other box of two I ordered for no apparent reason (I still have no idea why I ordered two coins) before any word was mentioned of the errors. Well, the subscription box was a regular 08/08 but my sealed box of two were BOTH 08/07's!!! image I sent them all in for the First Strike grading since I only have a few more days of doing that. The 08/07's were solid strikes, very solid. I used an Express Grading voucher so hopefully I will have some grades by next Friday since it is going to take the Brinks truck a few days to get to CA from MD.

I also talked to the ladies working the table about the decision to restrict bulk orders and inserts to dealers. They told me that the reason they did it was because customers were messing up the orders and it was taking way too long. I asked why they didn't just address that problem instead of making it for dealers only and they told me that they have been trying to but it didn't work....

Other than that, the show was pretty weak. Just for kicks and giggles, I looked for someone selling 08/07 coins. I literally asked about 20 people and nobody had any, one dealer said he was looking too but couldn't find any either. Well, as I was on my way out the door, I happened by a sign in a case that said "buying 08/07 reverse coins" so I asked the seller about them. He had two in his case that were on display but he didn't see interested in selling. I asked what his selling price was and the first thing he said was "a lot" so I pressed on. Turns out "a lot" was $599.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    189 auctions
    -69 61/189 32.3%
    -70 52/189 27.5
    Other 76/189 40.2
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NOT TO STEAL A PIC JUST USED IT AS EXAMPLE AS WELL..
    THERE ARE QUITE A FEW DIFFERENCES.... >>

It's funny how no one ever shows the "O" in OF as a PUP. Besides the "U" that's the next most obvious difference that I notice.
    The inside of the O is very elliptical on the '07 rev. and perfectly round on the '08 rev.

Regards, John

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    my sealed box of two were BOTH 08/07's!!!

Man that's great jessewvu! Now if they come back 70's that will be a huge SCORE!.

Regards, John
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>my sealed box of two were BOTH 08/07's!!!

Man that's great jessewvu! Now if they come back 70's that will be a huge SCORE!.

Regards, John >>

imageimage
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Great Topic . Great Discussion. Great ASE Error !! Question... as the 2008/07 ASE have appreciated in price, has PCGS tightened up in awarding MS 70 's ? How about expensive coins in general and PCGS ? Is the best time to submit your coins in hopes of getting a MS70 grade early on. I think of how NGC was handing out MS67 grades to the WI Leaf coins like candy early on before they made their meteror climb on Ebay in 2006 !! Any comments !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Found this thread back on page 4 !!!! image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Found this thread back on page 4 !!!! image >>

is it down the home stretch or on it's way back to the barn?
  • Options
    I know there are a few members on here that have mini hoards of these coins.Are you selling them little by little or will the market be flooded with them some day?Just being curious.image
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>Dont have anything to say really - sold almost all of my raw 2008obv/2007rev on ebay though - average sell price $500. Too early? Too late for selling.

Jeff >>

Just catching up on the last several pages of this thread.

Jeff -

I think $500 average for raws is very good if you got them from the Mint.
    I sold my first few earlier when they were still in the $300 range. I'm holding
    my remaining few coins for the moment myself. But if they trend towards $750
    for NGC ER 69's any time soon, I think I'll be selling. We shall see.

Either way, I'm definitely holding a few for the long term collection!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    1201reset1201reset Posts: 185 ✭✭

<< <i>Hello All,
    I have been pondering what to do with my 2008obv/2007rev Eagles.
    I did get lucky and received 14 out 15 of the 08/07 variety.
    I am considering having them slabbed and need some advice/opinions.
    PCGS or NGC or keep them raw???
    The PCGS coins are valued higher than NGC. Will this continue or
    is part of the difference due to PCGS's late entry into this variety.
    If there is a probability that the PCGS grades will be lower and have fewer MS 70's
    than the NGC which will be the best long term strategy?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

KP >>

image to the forum doorman292

and congrats on your order image

I believe they should be PCGS slabbed, they'll be worth more in the future.

Please post when your order was packed and shipped.

• Options
    You can always get them graded. If you are just going to hold them, you might as well hold them raw as there is no advantage to getting them graded right away.
  • Options

<< <i>You can always get them graded. If you are just going to hold them, you might as well hold them raw as there is no advantage to getting them graded right away. >>

-agreed.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    Has any one found a reverse coin with mechanical doubling on it?

I have one that has blatant mechanical doubling on the letters is this common for these coins?

Not that it makes it worth anymore.

Shannon

PS
    I was at the baltimore show and none of the 500 dealers had 07 reverse 2008 eagles in there cases.
  • Options
    That just goes to show you what a rare coin this is.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That just goes to show you what a rare coin this is. >>

The fact that the hacks on TV don't have them anymore and they had a few weeks ago tells me either they can't get them or they are just at a price they will not pay for the few they can find. Would love to know an actual mintage.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    You are not alone there.
  • Options
    I had someone e-mail from e-Bay to ask me if I had any more reverse coins. He told me he was looking to buy large numbers of the raw reverse for $505 each. I bet he was from TV looking to sell more of the coins for double the price.
  • Options

<< <i> I bet he was from TV looking to sell more of the coins for double the price. >>

Maybe its those HSN guys . They have their next show on June 11th which they mentioned at the end of their previous show.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep posting and we'll catch up to Goldsaint's "Economic Predictions" thread.image

Ren
  • Options
    i'll gladly sell HSN, ShopNBC or any other teevee huckster my NGC MS69 ERs for $2000.00 each.. i'll even ship to them for free.. whatta deal!.. operators (me) are standing by..

but all seriousness aside, the apparent news that the teevee guys are apparently out of them and on the prowl to buy them is {{rubbing hands like Montgomery Burns}}.. "excellent".. the fact that someone scanned 500 dealer tables at the Baltimore show and found none for sale is also excellent.. the fact that i didn't luck out and get any from the Mint for $25.95 a pop is not so excellent, (i'm happy for those of you who got lucky and did.. hey.. i tried.. ) .. but i got these slabs early-on at a fraction of their current going price.. wish i had bought more at that price.. hindsight is always 20 / 20 isn't it?..

did an eBay closed auction scan earlier this afternoon.. and on NGC MS69s (ER or not).. i'm seeing (roughly averaged) a $100.00 price rise from a couple weeks ago.. they're still goin' up.. consider yourself lucky if you can find one on eBay for less than $525.00 or so.. seen a few top $600.00.. saw a bunch from the same seller with a "Buy it Now" of $600.00 and he pulled every one of his ten auctions early.. wonder why.. a couple of weeks ago, admission to Mr. Toads MS69 Wild Ride was around $400.00.. a couple weeks before that.. $250.00-ish..

so what're going to see first.. MS69s for a grand, or a national average of $5.00/gallon for regular gasoline?.. i'm betting on the latter by the fourth of July.. but i have faith in the former..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    If I had the funds I'd be all over this one!
    Congrats to whoever gets it!image
  • Options

<< <i>PS
    I was at the baltimore show and none of the 500 dealers had 07 reverse 2008 eagles in there cases. >>

I commented about that earlier. I did find one single dealer, David Miller, he had three of them raw but he was more interested in buying them. He was selling them for $599 each.
  • Options
    Ok Folks, here is the latest dump!

Below you will find 1 week history charts for ALL hits on:

"2007 reverse 2008" (2 week period)
    "2007 reverse 2008" (2 month period)
    "2007 reverse 2008 NGC"
    "2007 reverse 2008 PCGS"
    "2007 reverse 2008 NGC MS69"
    "2007 reverse 2008 PCGS MS69"
    "2007 reverse 2008 NGC MS70"
    "2007 reverse 2008 PCGS MS70"
    "2007 reverse 2008 NGC MS69"
    "2007 reverse 2008 -PCGS -NGC"

What that SHOULD give us, I know there are outliers, are the trends for all coins sold, just NGC graded coins (69 and 70), just PCGS graded coins (69 and 70), and raw.

As I have stated before, this dump DOES NOT include auctions ending past 10:00PM EDT today, so if there are a large number of auctions ending tonight, the #'s are going to be different. To get the most accurate trends, do not include today.

Here goes!

If not all the pics show up, right click on the blank picture and then click SHOW PICTURE.

****************************************************************************************
    ****************************************************************************************

Past 2 weeks, graded and raw

Past 2 months, graded and raw

All NGC graded coins

All PCGS graded coins

All raw coins

NGC MS69

PCGS MS69

NCG MS70

PCGS MS70

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like the NGC ER - 69 hit a new high at 602.00 on the bay today..
  • Options
    doorman292doorman292 Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Thanks to all for your thoughts! As I am not in immediate need I think I'll put them on the shelf for a while and slab them later.

Re shipping: I ordered 15 on March 17 and received them (14 2008 rev and 1 2008/08)
    on April 8. I have been amazed by the "unopened box" sales on Ebay at multiples of mint cost. Some of them have shipped as late as May 25th. I have heard no reports of late May shipments of any 2008/rev coins. I would think there has only been disappointment in opening those late arriving packages.

jessewvu... great charts!!! Could you run another set projecting out 5-10 years?? Then we wouldn't have to check Ebay 24/7 to see the latest sale $$.

KP
  • Options
    Attended a small, 30-35 table show yesterday. Found only one dealer that had any, 2 08/07s. He was asking $300 raw & I'm sure that he would have taken less. When asking about them most dealers either seemed uninterested or only had a vague knowledge of them.
    This tells me that there is probably much more upside to these as they become more mainstream . . . maybe.

Regards, John
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Attended a small, 30-35 table show yesterday. Found only one dealer that had any, 2 08/07s. He was asking $300 raw & I'm sure that he would have taken less. When asking about them most dealers either seemed uninterested or only had a vague knowledge of them.
    This tells me that there is probably much more upside to these as they become more mainstream . . . maybe.

Regards, John >>

Can you buy them for me image

Have a good one~David
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    161 auctions
    -69 44/161 27.3%
    -70 45/161 28.0
    Other 72/161 44.7
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Based on NGC recognizing the 2008/07 ASE weeks before PCGS, will NGC Early Release coins be more available than NGC Black Label error coins ? Great Thread !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    We ALL know PCGS has had this "CHRONIC" problem with "spotting"!

They've even gone so far as to offer a $50,000 reward to anyone
    that comes up with a solution to this Problem!

This spotting problem could spell disaster for PCGS as it applies
    to the number of PCGS 70 2008/07 Reverse ASE, given the Premiums
    these pieces command!

If a number of these 70s begin "spotting" it will cost PCGS Major bucks!

I cannot help but wonder whether this has even occured to PCGS ... yet.

Call me "Lucky" but NO ASE that I have ever sent in foe grading by
    PCGS has yet to spot. This includes ASE that have been kept for as long
    as EIGHTEEN YEARS in their Original Presentation cases and OBVIOUSLY.
    NEVER removed from their respective Air-Tites.

I have a batch that was submitted within this past year dated 1991- 1994
    and NOT ONE has spotted. These were NOT dipped nor "cured" in any fashion.

If these High Dollar 70s start spotting, Boyz, PCGS is in for a World of Hurt!

Food for thought & JMHO. Keep a good eye on those 70s, ya hear?! image

Good Day! image

edited - spell check!
  • Options

<< <i>Food for thought & JMHO. Keep a good eye on those 70s, ya hear?! >>

image I forgot who the seller was but he was taking Best Offers on a Raw 08 w/07 reverse due to Spots on the BST board a couple of weeks ago. He stated it clearly that this Raw coin has spots therefore he was selling them for the best offer he can get.. I dont know if he sold that coin yet. But saw a couple of PM's sent messages on his post. image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

They definitely have a spotting problem but it is NOT all inclusive to just ASE,

I have had OTHER PCGS graded coins spot up on me but (knock wood) so far so good with ASE. image

Those with PCGS 70s - keep your fingers crossed! image
  • Options

<< <i>They definitely have a spotting problem but it is NOT all inclusive to just ASE,

I have had OTHER PCGS graded coins spot up on me but (knock wood) so far so good with ASE. image

Those with PCGS 70s - keep your fingers crossed! image >>

What do you mean by spotting problem
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We ALL know PCGS has had this "CHRONIC" problem with "spotting"!

They've even gone so far as to offer a $50,000 reward to anyone
    that comes up with a solution to this Problem!

This spotting problem could spell disaster for PCGS as it applies
    to the number of PCGS 70 2008/07 Reverse ASE, given the Premiums
    these pieces command!

If a number of these 70s begin "spotting" it will cost PCGS Major bucks!

I cannot help but wonder whether this has even occured to PCGS ... yet.

Call me "Lucky" but NO ASE that I have ever sent in foe grading by
    PCGS has yet to spot. This includes ASE that have been kept for as long
    as EIGHTEEN YEARS in their Original Presentation cases and OBVIOUSLY.
    NEVER removed from their respective Air-Tites.

I have a batch that was submitted within this past year dated 1991- 1994
    and NOT ONE has spotted. These were NOT dipped nor "cured" in any fashion.

If these High Dollar 70s start spotting, Boyz, PCGS is in for a World of Hurt!

Food for thought & JMHO. Keep a good eye on those 70s, ya hear?! image

Good Day! image

edited - spell check! >>

Do you really think PCGS is gonna write a $4500 check if one of those coins spots? If twas me I'd go out and buy a NGC 70 for a fifth of that and fix it.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Do you really think PCGS is gonna write a $4500 check if one of those coins spots? If twas me I'd go out and buy a NGC 70 for a fifth of that and fix it. >>

fix what?.. no comprendo Bajjerfanesque.. please explain.. use the other side of the form if you need more room..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file