Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I think he means swap out one from an ngc holder and reslab, don't think they'd do that but who knows, NGC's also spot big time, my local b&m has folders full of spotted slabbed coins, he called it something else though...
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

<< <i>Food for thought & JMHO. Keep a good eye on those 70s, ya hear?! >>

image I forgot who the seller was but he was taking Best Offers on a Raw 08 w/07 reverse due to Spots on the BST board a couple of weeks ago. He stated it clearly that this Raw coin has spots therefore he was selling them for the best offer he can get.. I dont know if he sold that coin yet. But saw a couple of PM's sent messages on his post. image >>

You may be referring to my BST post recently. These coins were not "spotted" but rather "imperfect".
    There was no way they'd garner a 69 or 70 at either TPG IMO, so I sold them off "cheap" with this info disclosed.
    I was asking $280 and easily got it. At the time, however, these were still going for around $300-$325 raw, so minus
    ebay and paypal fees, this was still a good deal for me image

Plus, one of the guys I sold one too turned around and immediately sold it raw on ebay a week later for around $500 I think.

I have been fortunate enough to not experience this dreaded milk spotting on any of my ASE's in the past either!

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>I think he means swap out one from an ngc holder and reslab, don't think they'd do that but who knows, NGC's also spot big time, my local b&m has folders full of spotted slabbed coins, he called it something else though... >>

oh.. hmm.. well for one thing, as you know, you can't submit anyone else's 70 to PCGS and specify a minimum grade of 70.. you COULD submit an NGC 70 IN its slab to PCGS with no minimum grade specified (or at least 69).. and pray a lot.. OR.. you could crack a 70 out of an NGC slab and submit it raw to PCGS and pray a lot.. you MIGHT have better luck getting it into a PCGS 70 slab by submitting it raw.. either way, it'd be a crap-shoot..

for another, if it's in an NGC Early Release slab, PCGS won't give it a FS label.. if that matters.. the way the prices are going on these coins, ultimately, it might not matter at all..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

<< <i>You may be referring to my BST post recently >>

It was not your post Lope. It was someone else. And he clearly stated that this Raw coin had spots and therefore he is selling it. He might see this post and tell us himself what happened to that coin. It was around the week of May 25th-27th if my memory serves me right. image
  • Options
    10 raw by the same seller ending in 90 min.on the Bay...all bid to $500 by the same buyer...interesting to see how many he gets and where the price will close..I bet he gets them all (report to follow)
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    So I have been watching the ER NGC 69's, they look like they are going for around 550 or so, but I saw one for 625 went as a Buy it now. I only have one of these, and intended on keeping it, but now I think I may have to sell, does anyone else have any pricing info on this specific configuration? Thanks.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    That $625 was an outlier but could be the direction of where this is going. Yesterday there was a MS70 ER that nearly hit a grand on a BIN

MS70 ER
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Wow thanks, I may do a 10 day BIN tomorrow and see what happens. I got in early, unfortunately, also weakly with just one coin.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Two of those coins going offin 6 minutes are mine. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    I got $1002.40 for the 2 of them. I'll take a $950 profit anytime. That pays for all my others plus the PCGS grading fees.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    first reduce the gross amount by about 10% fees (if paypal payments are accepted), then by the $52 cost, then by $24 per coin plus shipping ( if first strike); about $800 profit......

my point is that there are now cash buyers out there, dealers in fact, who are paying approx 500 per raw......better than the bay
  • Options
    These are raw and I did not see anyone else offering to buy them for $500. I am happy!
  • Options
    you made a fabulous profit, but keep in mind that ebay is charging big bucks to sell coins on thier site, some people lose sight of this, and when that monthly bill comes in....whaaaaammmm you feel it then....

dealers are looking for these, call the big ones that deal with moderns, you might be surprised at thier offers.

• Options
    I only had the 2 that I wanted to sell at this point. I still have my 11-69's and 1-70 all graded by PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>10 raw by the same seller ending in 90 min.on the Bay...all bid to $500 by the same buyer...interesting to see how many he gets and where the price will close..I bet he gets them all (report to follow >>

Four were bought by one bidder ($511) and six by another ($501).....
  • Options
    The market is effectively drying up on these . There is only 150 auctions now with about 20 going off in the next few hours. The prices are starting to level off and should continue up over the next few months.
  • Options
    W/E auction numbers are higher and will trend down until mid week where we will see if they build again for next w/e
  • Options
    I see 185 auctions I use the search "2008 w 2007"
    Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the posts concerning spotting on PCGS coins. Is this unique to PCGS, or has happened with NGC ones as well?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    IMO, short run we are seeing pretty healthy prices on raws (500)
    NGC 69's are sold as raw, sometimes worse, 500-525
    NGC 70's have room to run
    PCGS 70's had a blip (5900), IMO real pricing is in the 4000 level now

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you made a fabulous profit, but keep in mind that ebay is charging big bucks to sell coins on thier site, some people lose sight of this, and when that monthly bill comes in....whaaaaammmm you feel it then....

dealers are looking for these, call the big ones that deal with moderns, you might be surprised at thier offers. >>

If dealers are looking to buy , ..then what are their buy prices ?
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that the NGC69's and NGC70's don't seem to be
    too far apart in pricing compared with the PCGS equivalents.
    Does any one have an idea what is going on here ?
  • Options
    mainly I think about 500 is the buy price. Well at least for my NGS 69 ER I took to Baltimore with me. 500 was common couldn't get the 600 that I was looking for.

Oh well. I did pay 550 for it shipped. I think I paid a little much but a 50 dollar flip would hurt. I sent 8 to PCGS at the show. Non first strike and 10 regular that I picked.

total fees about 250 and I didn't have to pay for shipping to california.

I hope to get a few 70's. The coins I sent off were pretty nice all metalic backs brighter than most I have had and 2 with minor mech doubling probably shouldn't have sent them in but 14 dollars a piece I will gamble a little with a decent expectation.

just calculated the percentages.all the coins graded by PCGS including First strike and non First strike is 12.5 percent. I aim to succeed. I also told the girl at the submission desk that they were all 70's. She said she would tell the graders in advance so Im good image LoL

• Options
    NGC is about 35-40 percent 70's compared to 12.5 PCGS.

Shannon
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you made a fabulous profit, but keep in mind that ebay is charging big bucks to sell coins on thier site, some people lose sight of this, and when that monthly bill comes in....whaaaaammmm you feel it then....

dealers are looking for these, call the big ones that deal with moderns, you might be surprised at thier offers. >>

I hate dealing with the dealers. Most of the ones I talk to ask you what you want for them instead of just telling you what they will pay. I find that annoying. They are good if you want to get rid of a good quantity and you don't mind getting shafted on the price a bit.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So I have been watching the ER NGC 69's, they look like they are going for around 550 or so, but I saw one for 625 went as a Buy it now. I only have one of these, and intended on keeping it, but now I think I may have to sell, does anyone else have any pricing info on this specific configuration? Thanks. >>

I have been watching over 30 current auctions looking to snag a good deal, none to be found they the ER NGC MS69 are all going for over $500 in the last few days, the last two today sold for around %540. image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    I think the numbers available for sale this weekend are about half of last weekend.
  • Options

<< <i>

I hate dealing with the dealers. Most of the ones I talk to ask you what you want for them instead of just telling you what they will pay. I find that annoying. They are good if you want to get rid of a good quantity and you don't mind getting shafted on the price a bit. >>

YEs exactly. I must agree with you on your comment. When I was at the baltimore show just with my 07 ER. All of them asked me what I wanted for it first. I never answered. THey came with an offer lowball figure like 400. Then I stated 600. One said you wont find one here to buy it however I got really close it was going to sell but I have faith in this coin variety.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I hate dealing with the dealers. Most of the ones I talk to ask you what you want for them instead of just telling you what they will pay. I find that annoying. They are good if you want to get rid of a good quantity and you don't mind getting shafted on the price a bit. >>

YEs exactly. I must agree with you on your comment. When I was at the baltimore show just with my 07 ER. All of them asked me what I wanted for it first. I never answered. THey came with an offer lowball figure like 400. Then I stated 600. One said you wont find one here to buy it however I got really close it was going to sell but I have faith in this coin variety. >>

When they behave like that I get the feeling that they think every non-dealer that is selling is a stupid hayseed who doesn't know the market value of the coin. Such arrogance toward the guy that usually buys their coins at retail prices just gets my goat.
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    So much discussion about profit...yes these coins are appreciating and its great to make profit when you can. As a coin colector (and yes I have some of these coins) I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this particular SAE error/variety coin has: 1. In just a couple of months helped to increase interest in SAE's. 2. Brought in new collectors. 3. Is fast becoming one of the most popular and well known mint issues of the last few years.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    Sorry,i only agree with #3.I would say #1 pertains to flipper interest and #2 pertains to more flippers.image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I read the posts concerning spotting on PCGS coins. Is this unique to PCGS, or has happened with NGC ones as well? >>

It has happened with NGC too. Also spotting has been found on coins taken right from the mint tubes.
  • Options
    I guess I must be deemed a flipper because I agree with all 3
  • Options

<< <i>THey came with an offer lowball figure like 400 >>

Its a good thing you did not sell any to them Shannon. image

Theres one here in my area that would probably offer to buy it for $200. Thats why i don't bother going back to his place image
  • Options
    I may look young for my age at 25. I feel I look about 21 barely. However I am far from a dumb cat mate. I can see when people are trying to f*** me.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So much discussion about profit...yes these coins are appreciating and its great to make profit when you can. As a coin colector (and yes I have some of these coins) I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this particular SAE error/variety coin has: 1. In just a couple of months helped to increase interest in SAE's. 2. Brought in new collectors. 3. Is fast becoming one of the most popular and well known mint issues of the last few years.
    image >>

Burnie, I appreciate your positive reminder. I must agree with you that this is becoming a very strong collectible series with the solid backing of one full oz of .999 silver to keep it aloft. It is within price range of most folks if they get them every year at Mint cost. I hope the Mint continues making the series interesting and fun -- and throws a few varieties and real errors (hint) that keeps a strong interest base.

Now, what about all the "sub-varieties" spinning out of the 08/07's? Could make this series even more interesting. I found a very brilliant PL device obverse in a recent acquisition. Some reverses are very matte, others very reflective (PL) -- yet with great detail that seems to counter the theory of die wear (as was well articulated by another forumoid). Perhaps there were some trial dies used?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ** I like 'em raw -- a slabbie I ain't **

Its sorta like a condom. Even if you f*** up your still protected in my opinion. I will disagree with your comment. To each his own.

Seen to many coins sold to people that were bodybagged at one time and they were sold raw to collectors that were more than willing to pay.

I couldn't say anything conflict of interests at the time

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>** I like 'em raw -- a slabbie I ain't **

Its sorta like a condom. Even if you f*** up your still protected in my opinion. I will disagree with your comment. To each his own.

Seen to many coins sold to people that were bodybagged at one time and they were sold raw to collectors that were more than willing to pay.

I couldn't say anything conflict of interests at the time >>

Hmmm. Coins are nothing like condoms IMHO, but slabs could be. And that's my point with Burnie's comment -- coins should be appreciated for what THEY ARE and not for simple resale / glitz.

Slabs have their place, but there is nothing like feeling the real thing (coins that is -- HEY, maybe there is an analogy). Not to say all coins should be fondled, but some certainly SHOULD.

My coin foundation was a Lincoln (wheat-back) penny folder and a box of worn Morgan dollars. I still smile when I unabashedly pick them up and really appreciate them. Yes, to each his/her own.

This variety of SAE's has been of GREAT interest to lots of folks -- this thread is proof, or at least, is in my opinion...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    157 auctions
    -69 51/157 32.5%
    -70 40/157 25.5
    Other 66/157 42.0
  • Options

<< <i>Now, what about all the "sub-varieties" spinning out of the 08/07's? Could make this series even more interesting. I found a very brilliant PL device obverse in a recent acquisition. Some reverses are very matte, others very reflective (PL) -- yet with great detail that seems to counter the theory of die wear (as was well articulated by another forumoid). Perhaps there were some trial dies used? >>

In the MS/PF 69 4 coin 2008 ASE slab I just got the side by side difference just jumps out at you. The burnished 08/08 rev. next to the shiny 08/07 rev. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but it is still another interesting varient
  • Options
    we already went through the shiney, non shiney, about 100 pages ago -

no price premium, not worth discussing
  • Options

<< <i>no price premium, not worth discussing >>

Just a statement.....not talking value.....not a discussion.....it is interesting
  • Options
    I guess I would be considered a flipper because I sold enough of these to pay for all the ones I am keeping graded.
  • Options

<< <i> I guess I would be considered a flipper because I sold enough of these to pay for all the ones I am keeping graded >>

I call that smart....got your initial monies back to get more coins.....and still have the graded ones image

Did that with 4 raw myself
  • Options
    Now we will just sit back and wait for the rest of the coin world to realize that these coins exist and be willing to pay us top dollar for them.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess I would be considered a flipper because I sold enough of these to pay for all the ones I am keeping graded. >>

I call it flipulator, a cross between a flipper and a speculator, otherwise you'd just be a dealer...image
  • Options

<< <i>Now we will just sit back and wait for the rest of the coin world to realize that these coins exist and be willing to pay us top dollar for them. >>

Like the letter in coin world 6/16 issue: "I don't know what is going on with these 2008-w ASE's. All I read says the coin with a plain u has the reverse of 2007 and on the 2008 reverse the U has a little tail on it..............What gives?"

THAT is from a Coin World reader............
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So much discussion about profit...yes these coins are appreciating and its great to make profit when you can. As a coin colector (and yes I have some of these coins) I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this particular SAE error/variety coin has: 1. In just a couple of months helped to increase interest in SAE's. 2. Brought in new collectors. 3. Is fast becoming one of the most popular and well known mint issues of the last few years.
    image >>

imageimage
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now we will just sit back and wait for the rest of the coin world to realize that these coins exist and be willing to pay us top dollar for them. >>

Like the letter in coin world 6/16 issue: "I don't know what is going on with these 2008-w ASE's. All I read says the coin with a plain u has the reverse of 2007 and on the 2008 reverse the U has a little tail on it..............What gives?"

THAT is from a Coin World reader............ >>

many of whom don't even own computers, much less read these boreds.. how many people do you think read CW (circulation about 80,000).. and NN (circulation lower, about 50,000 i think).. versus how many are reading this thread?.. (maybe a few hundred).. if you get in the wayback machine, you'll remember that ordering from the Mint's Web site used to get you free shipping.. ordering on the phone or by mail-in form didn't.. CW was flooded with letters from angry readers saying, in effect, "it's not fair to those of us who don't have computers".. i don't remember what year that was but i think it was 2000 or later.. so as recently as that, there were plenty of collectors who didn't have or use computers at all, or did, but didn't trust online ordering.. and those kinds of letters appeared in nearly every Letters to the Editor page in every issue..

so instead of making shipping free for everyone, the Mint, naturally, did the opposite and added shipping costs to Web orders.. whatta surprise.. NOT.. they yank a product "off the shelf" to re-price it higher when precious metals go up.. do they ever re-price it LOWER when precious metals go down?.. of course not.. unlike private businesses, does the Mint EVER have a sale on anything? ever?.. nope.. yeah, once in a blue moon you get a surprise "oops!" bonus, like the 08/07 ASEs.. but it sure ain't very often, and the window of opportunity was pretty tight.. they'll sell you a coin for $25.95 that's worth $500.00 to $600.00 less than two months later..

not everyone is jacked-in / wired to what's going on.. even though i've been using and writing about computers since the early 1980s, (actually started using them in the 1970s).. (and look under my Avatar for how long i've been registered here..) .. i still like getting printed catalogs in the mail and if, given a choice of a .pdf file or a printed catalog, i'll take the printed catalog.. doesn't mean i'll order anything from it, i just enjoy reading them, and saving some.. especially those big fat Heritage catalogs with the $50.00 price on them that some people probably actually DO pay $50.00 for.. Heritage sends me postcards "just call and mention code xyz123 and get your choice of catalog for free".. i've got a shelf full of the.. are they worth anything? i dunno, never tried to sell any of them..

by the way, if you want a free 2009 Red Book.. act fast.. NACT is sending one out to the first hundred people who call or respond on this Web page:

free 2009 Red Book

this offer was blasted out in this morning's NN newsletter.. no strings, no shipping charge.. they don't ask you for a CC.. nothing.. (they'll probably add you to a mailing list you can opt out of later.. no idea..) .. i don't know if the 100 are already gone.. they might be by the time you read this..

disclaimer: i have absolutely no relationship of any kind with NACT..

a week ro so ago, another company was offering the 2009 Red Book at like 40% off.. so i went to their Web site to order one, and they wanted $12.50 for shipping.. sorry, but that dog don't hunt.. it doesn't cost $12.50 to shove a small book into a padded mailer and send it by Media mail.. try a buck and a half..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file